Menu

Just to make you feel better about. yourself

DawnM

Sigh.

My son has been wanting a foosball table.  I told him I wouldn't spend more than XXX amount but I wanted one that was decent and not going to fall apart.  We opted to look for a good quality used one.  I finally found one that was still available and about 25% of retail cost.

We went last night to get it.  It has been raining lately.  They live on a hill.  It was dark.

As I was backing out, I somehow got off the driveway and onto the grass.  My wheel started spinning into mud and so I decided a better idea would be to just back out onto the street.  I then hit their mailbox.  I was completely stuck.

I called DH.  The owner of the house came out and used a rope and his truck and my husband and son pushed from behind and I got onto the concrete again.  

Their lawn is ripped up.  They told us the gas line people had ripped it up a couple of weeks ago, had fixed it, but not to their satisfaction, so they hired their gardener to come and rip that up and redo it, 3 days ago!  So, I am the 3rd person in 2 weeks to rip up their lawn.   

DH and I are going over there today to work on their yard.  I am so embarrassed.  While I was stuck there, their kids came out and walked around the car and said things like, "Mom, look!  She did X and Y, Look!"  I know they weren't trying to be rude or anything, but it was horrible.

I am praying we can fix it since the new sod had not taken root yet and I am praying their mailbox wasn't bent.  This is in a neighborhood where homes start at $1M and everyone has to have the same mailbox, put in a certain way, etc......so if I have to replace it, it won't be cheap.  None of it will be cheap if I have to hire it out.

I didn't sleep well at all last night, just sick with anxiety about it.

There ya go.  my incredible embarrassing moment.

• Sad 15

6 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I feel like if everyone is ending up on their lawn they need to regrade the driveways and install some keystone pavers to make a non/bankable curb!  Not sure that one is actually on you!

no, the first people ripped up their lawn to fix a gas line in the neighborhood.  They fixed it, but not to the owner's satisfaction, so the owners hired their gardener to fix it.  I am the only idiot who ended up on their lawn.

Sorry I wasn't clear.

I'm very sorry this happened.When I was reading your post, I thought, "That could be me." If there was ever someone who would benefit from the car feature that does the backing up, it's me. I regularly watch a school bus use a 3-point turn in the cul-de-sac in front of my house and think, "Look at them go. I would be in everyone's yard." That is the truth. Just don't list driving skills on your resume. I won't. 

I really hate when something embarrassing happens and you get that feeling of burning heat that goes all over your body. I try to remember that feeling when I see someone else in an embarrassing situation and help them out.

1 minute ago, Sallie Mae said:

I'm very sorry this happened.When I was reading your post, I thought, "That could be me." If there was ever someone who would benefit from the car feature that does the backing up, it's me. I regularly watch a school bus use a 3-point turn in the cul-de-sac in front of my house and think, "Look at them go. I would be in everyone's yard." That is the truth. Just don't list driving skills on your resume. I won't. 

I really hate when something embarrassing happens and you get that feeling of burning heat that goes all over your body. I try to remember that feeling when I see someone else in an embarrassing situation and help them out.

I could write a book. 

• Like 1

UPDATE:

Ok, we went over and it isn't bad at all!  I was shocked.  The grass was not ruined.  I spun out just enough to make the grass move out of the way in the in-tact square.  The owners actually put the grass back on last night.  There is one area where it is indented a little but they said they would fix it themselves.  The mailbox is most likely ok but they will let me know.  

We swept and scrubbed the area with the mud tracks and then she let us use their hose to hose it down.  

WHEW!  

Still mortified.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

UPDATE:

Ok, we went over and it isn't bad at all!  I was shocked.  The grass was not ruined.  I spun out just enough to make the grass move out of the way in the in-tact square.  The owners actually put the grass back on last night.  There is one area where it is indented a little but they said they would fix it themselves.  The mailbox is most likely ok but they will let me know.  

We swept and scrubbed the area with the mud tracks and then she let us use their hose to hose it down.  

WHEW!  

Still mortified.

Because you tried so hard to fix what you did, you will likely never hear from them again. They’re probably grateful and blown away by you wanting to fix what happened. So few people today take responsibility for something like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, scholastica said:

Because you tried so hard to fix what you did, you will likely never hear from them again. They’re probably grateful and blown away by you wanting to fix what happened. So few people today take responsibility for something like that.

I hope you are right.