Menu

State Farm totaled our three year old car :( Just a vent

Lady Florida.

I posted about ds' accident with our car in this thread. 

https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/693772-ds-22-is-okay-but-i-dont-know-about-the-car-update-with-photos/

Today we heard from State Farm that they're totaling it. The cost to fix it is more than 85% of the current value. Our 2016 Camry with high tech features is gone. 😞 After paying off the balance we'll have $3800 left to put down on another vehicle. It won't be new. It won't have the bells and whistles the Camry had. I'm so sad.

Believe me, I'm so happy ds is okay, and I told him not to beat himself up over it (he's trying not to but without much success), but I'm still sad. I'm not letting him know how much this is upsetting me but with our impending move, fixes to our current house, and Christmas around the corner there's no way we can replace it with anything close to what we had. 

Thanks for letting me cry on your shoulders - and I really am crying as I type this. But it's better to let it out here that to let ds know, when he already feels as bad as he possibly can. 

• Sad 21

I'd be sad too.

But, I'd want to look to see what all the damage estimate covers. We had a friend who drove a salvage title (is that what it is called?) truck that was totaled by the insurance company. He fixed what needed to be fixed so it would run and not be a safety issue. It was not, however, pretty, but it was functional. He didn't have comprehensive insurance on it (just liability, I think?), but he continued to drive that truck for 10-12 years.  Maybe a form of this solution would work for you guys too? Assuming the damage is just body and not the tech features that you like. 

We also had a friend driving a 2017 new Toyota where they rear-ended someone. Minor accident but all air bags went off (which they shouldn't have). Car was totaled because replacing all those air bags is very expensive. Unfortunately, they still owned money on that car. 

It is a sad situation. 

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Bambam said:

I'd be sad too.

But, I'd want to look to see what all the damage estimate covers. We had a friend who drove a salvage title (is that what it is called?) truck that was totaled by the insurance company. He fixed what needed to be fixed so it would run and not be a safety issue. It was not, however, pretty, but it was functional. He didn't have comprehensive insurance on it (just liability, I think?), but he continued to drive that truck for 10-12 years.  Maybe a form of this solution would work for you guys too? Assuming the damage is just body and not the tech features that you like. 

We also had a friend driving a 2017 new Toyota where they rear-ended someone. Minor accident but all air bags went off (which they shouldn't have). Car was totaled because replacing all those air bags is very expensive. Unfortunately, they still owned money on that car. 

It is a sad situation. 

We thought about trying to have it fixed but I don't think it would be cost effective. Plus when you look at it up close there's the sneaking feeling that there's some serious unseen damage and we don't want to compromise safety. Sigh

I'm sorry!  A couple years ago we had a 1 year old minivan totaled.  It had all the bells and whilstles because it was a year end close out deal and that was on the lot.  We usually get much more vanilla vehicles.  Which is what we have now.  I still miss it!  And I was hit from the back, it was 100% not my fault.  Other driver's insurance paid out in full.  Which was something to be grateful for.

Ours was still drivable and our neighbor actually bought it to fix it up.  But we were worried about having kids in the back.  He's older and single and just wanted it for cargo space.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Doesn’t insurance pay for replacement value of the vehicle, or is that only certain policies or fault?  That seems weird to me!  I’m so sorry the car is a loss and there isn’t replacement money 😭

They still owed on it.  So between depreciation, pay off and deductible sometimes you just don’t end up with much cash.  

• Like 2

I was in an accident last May and totally understand your grief. A senior citizen hit a car who hit me. My van was totaled. I miss my van so much. It wasn't new, but it was "family."

I would frame the loss of your Camry this way: that car did its job and saved your son's life.

I'm betting 14 airbags popped out at him, right?

The Camry did a wonderful job.

Hang in there,

Alley

Edited by Alicia64
  • Like 8

47 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Doesn’t insurance pay for replacement value of the vehicle, or is that only certain policies or fault?  That seems weird to me!  I’m so sorry the car is a loss and there isn’t replacement money 😭

It does but once we pay it off we won't have much left.

25 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I definitely  would not buy it back and  have a salvage title. A 3 year old vehicle that totaled is likely very damaged.  Sometimes it makes sense to buy it back.....but rarely imo.  

Yes this. We don't want to take a chance that there would be a safety issue. It apparently received more than just body damage.

17 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

You might be surprised what you can get since it's December. The lots are going to be trying to round up those year end numbers, and car sales have dipped a bit, so depending on what you are looking to buy, and what auction prices are where you are at, you might surprise yourself. Also, I'd not resign myself to used necessarily- with rebates and incentives, if you find the right vehicle you may come out ahead on new vs. used. It's not always definitive that used is cheaper. 

I agree with this.  Sometimes, the rebates and warranties and year end deals make it worth it to buy new.  

• Like 2

ouch. 😞 That happened to us too and I still miss that van. We bought it barely-used, but with hail damage. It had every gizmo and gadget imaginable and was totaled when a guy rear-ended us. We didn't owe on it, but had gotten it at a steal - and THEN their insurance deducted a large % from our $$ because of the hail damage. 😕 

So, no way could we pay cash to buy an equally-amazing used van. 

We wound up with a less-awesome van that we had for about 18 months before ANOTHER guy totaled it!! (front-end this time)

At that point, my dh said heck with it and went out and bought a new van for us. It was December. We got a GREAT price. And I love that van with my whole heart. ❤️ lol 

Sorry about your car. Glad that your son is safe. Good luck finding a replacement. Hopefully the perfect vehicle just falls into your hands. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

That is so disappointing, of course you are upset. But I do love how someone framed it upthread: that car did it’s job and saved your son's life. 

And yes, replacing it will be a challenge. Sorry there’s no easy way around that. I do remember reading that modern cars are considered totaled more often than they used to be, in part because it’s so expensive to have the airbags repacked. I hope to see a thread soon with good news from you about finding a good replacement. 

8 hours ago, Alicia64 said:

I was in an accident last May and totally understand your grief. A senior citizen hit a car who hit me. My van was totaled. I miss my van so much. It wasn't new, but it was "family."

I would frame the loss of your Camry this way: that car did its job and saved your son's life.

I'm betting 14 airbags popped out at him, right?

The Camry did a wonderful job.

Hang in there,

Alley

I like these views!!!

It’s true too.  A less safe car and he might not have been okay.  My understanding is that cars are deliberately being made now to take the impact and crush more, in ways that protect the humans, rather than being a hard car that doesn’t get so much damage but where occupants may be worse off.  

I am realizing from this thread I don’t know much about insurance and accidents.  

• Like 2

We had a similar situation when our daughter was t-boned at a high rate of speed in her 1 year old Equinox.   She walked away without a scratch so we focused on the fact that car saved her life.   It could have turned out much differently.   We replaced it with the another Equinox.

• Like 2