Menu

Favorite Kitchen Gadgets? Favorite Towels?

Shoeless

What are your favorite "This really does make my life easier" kitchen and household gadgets?  I'm drawing a blank on what to put on my list for Christmas and relatives are starting to nag about it.  

We could also use new towels, but reviews for every brand of towels are hot and cold.  "They were the best of towels, they were the worst of towels..."

• Like 1

I love, love, love my Roomba.  Yes, I do have to empty it.  Yes, I have to protect the piano from it (it tends to scrape furniture legs as the plastic slides across).  Yes, sometimes I have to rescue a curtain or a charging cord I forgot to move before starting it.  Still, I love it. 

We have Liz Claiborne Egyptian Cotton towels from JCPenney and really like them.

• Like 1

I love my micro plane graters.  I have a box grater and a rasp one, and they are infinitely better than normal graters.

Pampered Chef stoneware is also a fave.  I love the pizza pan with the white glaze on the outside especially.  The oval bakers are great.  And the pie pans are the best I have ever tried, without exception.  Also, their salad spinner is the best one I have ever used, bar none, hands down.

I am liking cookie stamps because I don’t have to roll out the dough to use them.

In the expensive category, All Clad Essential pans come in two sizes and are my favorite, most versatile pans ever.  They work as pots or as fry pans.  They are deeper than frying pans and wider than pots so they don’t spatter.  I basically stopped using most of my other pots and pans once I got these.  Also, they have a two quart pot with a ceramic double boiler insert that has saved me a lot of scorched chocolate.  Also great for making egg yolk based pie fillings that have to be cooked.

We like Costco towels.  There are limited colors but we found that we like champagne ones.  They hold up really well.

However, I’m trying not to buy stuff from China and have not vetted all this for that.  

In the ‘buy American and organic’ category, there is now a company called American Blossom that has colorgrown cotton sheets.  All American, no chemicals, not even dye.  I’ve just ordered a set.  I hope I like them, but I sure do like the IDEA of them.

• Like 2

This isn't a big or expensive gadget but I love my apple slicer. With most slicer type gadgets I find it easier to just use a knife. Not so with this. It has to be the one with the cover that pushes the slices and core out. Plain slicers still you to push the slices out but not so with this one. You just close the cover and it pushes out all the slices. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Prepworks-Progressive-16-Slice-Apple-Slicer/dp/B00EZQQO9Q/ref=sxin_3_ac_d_rm?ac_md=0-0-YXBwbGUgc2xpY2Vy-ac_d_rm&keywords=apple+slicer&pd_rd_i=B00EZQQO9Q&pd_rd_r=8a686978-f71b-48af-bf0c-e1b4207189ad&pd_rd_w=Jl6xd&pd_rd_wg=lDU14&pf_rd_p=6d29ef56-fc35-411a-8a8e-7114f01518f7&pf_rd_r=J63Q1QS7HQKZ4MKX40HT&psc=1&qid=1574259117

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I love my micro plane graters.  I have a box grater and a rasp one, and they are infinitely better than normal graters.

Pampered Chef stoneware is also a fave.  I love the pizza pan with the white glaze on the outside especially.  The oval bakers are great.  And the pie pans are the best I have ever tried, without exception.  Also, their salad spinner is the best one I have ever used, bar none, hands down.

I am liking cookie stamps because I don’t have to roll out the dough to use them.

In the expensive category, All Clad Essential pans come in two sizes and are my favorite, most versatile pans ever.  They work as pots or as fry pans.  They are deeper than frying pans and wider than pots so they don’t spatter.  I basically stopped using most of my other pots and pans once I got these.  Also, they have a two quart pot with a ceramic double boiler insert that has saved me a lot of scorched chocolate.  Also great for making egg yolk based pie fillings that have to be cooked.

We like Costco towels.  There are limited colors but we found that we like champagne ones.  They hold up really well.

However, I’m trying not to buy stuff from China and have not vetted all this for that.  

In the ‘buy American and organic’ category, there is now a company called American Blossom that has colorgrown cotton sheets.  All American, no chemicals, not even dye.  I’ve just ordered a set.  I hope I like them, but I sure do like the IDEA of them.

Carol do you have a link for the specific pans?

TIA!

9 hours ago, unsinkable said:

Carol do you have a link for the specific pans?

TIA!

I can’t link from my iPad but you can find them if you go to the Williams Sonoma website, and search on ‘All Clad Essential Pan’.

The ones I have are the stainless steel D5 line, the 4 quart and 6 quart ones.  I see that now they have a 3 quart, but I don’t have that one and honestly the 4 quart is a nice size even for only 2-4 people so I wouldn’t want a 3 quart one.  

• Like 1

You could check out "Mighty Nest" - a company that carries a lot of "green" or eco-friendly items. Check on where it's made if you care about dyes, etc. When it comes to towels, I have towels with which I dry dishes which are usually the old fashioned white cotton towels (flour sack towels) and then different towels for wiping your hands off in the kitchen.

I just remembered another site: Sarah Pope's Healthy Home Economist. She had a page dedicated to "Kitchen Gadgets."

Edited by Liz CA

I have a full set of really nice metal measuring cups and spoons, including odd sized ones (think 2/3 cup, 1.5 cup, 2 tsp, & 2 tbsp). They are really really useful, and I've hung them prominently in my kitchen because I love them. 🤣

These aren't exactly the same (I bought mine a few years back), but you get the idea: https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/products/williams-sonoma-stainless-steel-nesting-measuring-cups-spoons/?pkey=s|odd size measuring cups|4

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I learned about this for squeezing lemon wedges at a restaurant.  I tracked it down . . . . 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WHC9Y9M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have to laugh that "free Amazon tech support is available" for this item! Wonder what kind of tech support it is... 

Looks like something my dd would like.

• Haha 1