Menu

October Well-Trained Bodies

Soror

On 10/12/2019 at 5:27 PM, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

I walked to the grocery store and back to re-stock after vacation, and it felt great to be moving again.  I don't know how Americans manage to stay trim at all, given all the car driving. 

It’s  going to be a real issue for me. I average 11,000 steps a day now, a lot of that uphill/up stairs carrying groceries and I never work out, this is just daily life.  In the US I’m 100% stationary even though the only thing to do where I live is hike and look at plants. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

It’s  going to be a real issue for me. I average 11,000 steps a day now, a lot of that uphill/up stairs carrying groceries and I never work out, this is just daily life.  In the US I’m 100% stationary even though the only thing to do where I live is hike and look at plants. 

It is a real problem.  When I was in college (on a huuuge campus where I lived at the top of a hill) and in my 20s where I lived in the city and walked everywhere, I did manage to stay in shape without ever trying to 'work out'.  Move to the 'burbs, hey look, weight gain.  You can't just move as part of life.  I probably got a zillion steps in in college and city, but they were all going from point A to point B to get somewhere or do something.  Walking was often the fastest way to get somewhere.  In the suburbs, if you walk, it's just to walk.  Often in circles.  I also used to use the riverside trail to bike or rollerblade as I didn't have to drive there.  They've finally added some trails here, but I have to drive to get to them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Matryoshka said:

I think that's exactly the sentiment.  I've started to get this comment a few times lately - 'you look great!  you're done now, right? don't lose any more! haha".  

While it's true that I'm not actively trying to lose more weight - my original goal was just to eke back into the 'normal' range for my height (rather than just a lb or two shy of 'obese' where I started) - I've lost almost 10 more than that now, and am smack dab in the center of 'normal' - but I'm not even close to the low end!  But I made lifestyle changes, including to my diet, that seems to have my weight still be sloooowly on a downward trend.  So instead of 2 lbs a week or so, it's more like 1-2 lbs every month or two.  I'm not going to actively try to stop that, lol!  If I ever actually become underweight (🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 never gonna happen!), then we can talk.

This is kind of where I'm at. I've developed new habits that I don't plan on stopping. Those habits happen to be resulting in my continued weight loss. At this point I'm really just waiting to discover my body's natural weight when I'm eating healthy and exercising. But who knows, maybe I'll start having other fitness goals. And even then (!!!) I don't want people's unsolicited opinion about my body!

• Like 5

I have the same issue with the suburbs, though in the spring, summer and fall I try to bike to errands as much as possible. It's harder in the fall as it gets dark and therefore a lot more risky as the cars don't see me as well. I could walk to the grocery store, but it takes "forever." The bike is so much quicker and more fun. 😉  The best stores to bike to are Costco and Home Depot, because you can't carry much home with you, so you spend less $. 😂

I may have made 10,000 steps at work walking to the printer a million times. That's all the exercise I got in today. Tomorrow I'll be home and can hike and/or bike.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, sassenach said:

This is kind of where I'm at. I've developed new habits that I don't plan on stopping. Those habits happen to be resulting in my continued weight loss. At this point I'm really just waiting to discover my body's natural weight when I'm eating healthy and exercising. But who knows, maybe I'll start having other fitness goals. And even then (!!!) I don't want people's unsolicited opinion about my body!

2 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

I think that's exactly the sentiment.  I've started to get this comment a few times lately - 'you look great!  you're done now, right? don't lose any more! haha".  

While it's true that I'm not actively trying to lose more weight - my original goal was just to eke back into the 'normal' range for my height (rather than just a lb or two shy of 'obese' where I started) - I've lost almost 10 more than that now, and am smack dab in the center of 'normal' - but I'm not even close to the low end!  But I made lifestyle changes, including to my diet, that seems to have my weight still be sloooowly on a downward trend.  So instead of 2 lbs a week or so, it's more like 1-2 lbs every month or two.  I'm not going to actively try to stop that, lol!  If I ever actually become underweight (🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 never gonna happen!), then we can talk.

This is my thought although I'm not currently losing (because fall is always rough with me) I ended up lower than I planned this summer but it just happened. 

My workout today was soooo much better, it sure helps getting sleep. I went up on weight on my landmine press and added to my flex-armed hang. 

Tomorrow I leave for another weekend long campout and then I can get back on a somewhat normal schedule (I hope!!!)

• Like 5

On the workout front, been going to OT.  For some unknown reason, the last three days have all had a ton of weighted squats and lunges, and hills on the tread.  Wait, aren't we supposed to be alternating focus?  They usually do... today was a special "Hell Week Preview" that had all that plus non-weighted pulse squats and heel-raise squats. Hell Week is 8 days of extra-tough workouts in the days leading up to Halloween, and if you do 5 of them, you get a T-shirt.  I was still only going 2x a week last October, so I didn't do the whole thing.  Now I'm going 5x a week anyway, so I guess I'll get my t-shirt!

And... now my legs and glutes are killing me.  That is all.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, wintermom said:

I have the same issue with the suburbs, though in the spring, summer and fall I try to bike to errands as much as possible. It's harder in the fall as it gets dark and therefore a lot more risky as the cars don't see me as well. I could walk to the grocery store, but it takes "forever." The bike is so much quicker and more fun. 😉  The best stores to bike to are Costco and Home Depot, because you can't carry much home with you, so you spend less $. 😂

I may have made 10,000 steps at work walking to the printer a million times. That's all the exercise I got in today. Tomorrow I'll be home and can hike and/or bike.

One of the reasons we are moving house is for our health.  I am working full time and my office is in the middle of a small town which has almost all the services you need.  So I run a lot of errands on foot at lunchtimes, keeping me naturally active until I retire in eleven years. 

I live five miles away in a small village that only has a post office - three mornings a week.  I post few letters.  I can see from Husband's lifestyle (he consciously exercises three days a week and walks the dog for 40 minutes most days, but he sits the rest of the time) that small village living is not the best for being active.  We will be moving to a larger village/small town that is walkable so that we can get natural exercise into old age: shopping, carrying purchases, going out for a coffee, etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

The week is going well. I'm enjoying the last evenings before the clocks change by walking a few miles every night after work. I've also been walking in the mornings and at lunchtime.

I've done my five-minute arm weights every night this week.

Only one yoga so far, but hoping for a second tomorrow.

Weight is back out of the danger zone.

So, when do your clocks change IIRC it is NOV 3 here. Will it be dark when you get done at work then? Great job exercising this week, glad your busyness has slowed down.

My weight is still up a bit from stress, weird eating, etc but not in the danger zone as you say. This weekend I'm packing all my meals and snacks, so hopefully I won't be as bad off as last weekend. I also brought melatonin to help me sleep, lack of sleep doesn't help anything.

8 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

On the workout front, been going to OT.  For some unknown reason, the last three days have all had a ton of weighted squats and lunges, and hills on the tread.  Wait, aren't we supposed to be alternating focus?  They usually do... today was a special "Hell Week Preview" that had all that plus non-weighted pulse squats and heel-raise squats. Hell Week is 8 days of extra-tough workouts in the days leading up to Halloween, and if you do 5 of them, you get a T-shirt.  I was still only going 2x a week last October, so I didn't do the whole thing.  Now I'm going 5x a week anyway, so I guess I'll get my t-shirt!

And... now my legs and glutes are killing me.  That is all.

You won't be able to go to the bathroom by the end!!!

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

One of the reasons we are moving house is for our health.  I am working full time and my office is in the middle of a small town which has almost all the services you need.  So I run a lot of errands on foot at lunchtimes, keeping me naturally active until I retire in eleven years. 

I live five miles away in a small village that only has a post office - three mornings a week.  I post few letters.  I can see from Husband's lifestyle (he consciously exercises three days a week and walks the dog for 40 minutes most days, but he sits the rest of the time) that small village living is not the best for being active.  We will be moving to a larger village/small town that is walkable so that we can get natural exercise into old age: shopping, carrying purchases, going out for a coffee, etc.

I love the idea of this but there is no where around here where this would be possible, maybe in some places in America but not here, mostly if you want that you have to go to big cities, which is not my preference. But people here that live in the country stay active different ways. My mom and dad (early 60's) are building a cabin, raise cows, and always have a project of some kind going. My parents were raised as diy'ers of everything. My fil was always working in the yard or house on something. I don't know where I see us in the future. On the one hand I'd like to be closer to town and on the other I'd like to have more property. IDK.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Both locations sound amazing, but I can see the desire for having more shops within walking distance. All the best with your move! 

There is a really nice smaller town that would have shops and things within walking distance, however it would mean a long commute to work and university for myself, dh, dd and ds. I have this town ear marked for a potential retirement locale, though. But I also have a dream of living in similar type of town in a much warmer location (Vancouver Island, BC). An additional factor in Canada is being within easy access to good health care as we age. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

An odd day. I woke early and had a great three-mile walk on the beach before work. Late morning I walked to the pharmacy for a flu jab and a pneumococcal vaccine. The latter knocked my low blood pressure too low, I think, and I spent 45 minutes with my head between my knees. 

Back to work and my brother messaged me that he was in hospital about to have a heart stent fitted. Apparently he had two heart attacks six weeks ago - he thought it was just back ache. He's the local tennis champion, cycles to work, good diet, slim.... He's doing fine but it's a bit of a shock. Junk was consumed and yoga cancelled.

• Sad 4

36 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

An odd day. I woke early and had a great three-mile walk on the beach before work. Late morning I walked to the pharmacy for a flu jab and a pneumococcal vaccine. The latter knocked my low blood pressure too low, I think, and I spent 45 minutes with my head between my knees. 

Back to work and my brother messaged me that he was in hospital about to have a heart stent fitted. Apparently he had two heart attacks six weeks ago - he thought it was just back ache. He's the local tennis champion, cycles to work, good diet, slim.... He's doing fine but it's a bit of a shock. Junk was consumed and yoga cancelled.

So sorry to hear that about your brother. Must be a big shock to everyone who knows him. Hope his surgery goes really well.

I didn't know your brother was big into tennis. Very cool! Is the tennis community in the UK small enough that you brother knows the Murray brothers? 

I have to get my flu shot at work next week. It's required as I work in a hospital. I don't usually get a flu shot, as I seldom get sick. Hope I don't end up like you did with my head between my knees. I have really low blood pressure already. 

I went for a 1.5 hour walk this afternoon with a friend. It was really nice. Dh and I will be playing tennis tonight! I'm thrilled!! It was a last minute thing with our regular Friday night group.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, wintermom said:

So sorry to hear that about your brother. Must be a big shock to everyone who knows him. Hope his surgery goes really well.

I didn't know your brother was big into tennis. Very cool! Is the tennis community in the UK small enough that you brother knows the Murray brothers? 

No, he's more like a county level champion, nowhere near Murray level.

• Like 1

Hello. for October  I started a new Beach Body program called Morning Meldown 100.  100 day commitment to 100 workouts.  However, there is a 60 day schedule that combines 2 workouts a day.  This was my first week and I like the trainer and that she uses weighted cardio.  I ithink it will be good conditioning for April's half marathon training

On 10/7/2019 at 5:58 AM, DawnM said:

Thinking of trying a Beach Body streaming trial.  Does anyone do a steaming workout membership?  What do you like?  

Thoughts?

We have a mini-gym here in our neighborhood, but it is a small room with a few weights, a couple of treadmills and a couple of ellipticals.  My boys use it.  I prefer to do something at home.

I have had BB for 2 years I really like it.  If you have access to weights Lifft4 is a good program as well as 21 Day Fix Time and 21 Day Fix Extreme Real Time.  Depends really what your looking for.  Let me know if you have any questions.  I have done 3 roudns of Lifft4, Insanity, 80 day obsession, Transform 20, and CoreDeForce and parts of 21 day fix extreme and 21 day fix real time as well as Hammer and Chisel, P90X    (ps I'm not a coach and I don't sell or use any of their products.  I'm a stay at home mom who does not like to travel to a gyms when I can exercise in my own home)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lynn said:

Hello. for October  I started a new Beach Body program called Morning Meldown 100.  100 day commitment to 100 workouts.  However, there is a 60 day schedule that combines 2 workouts a day.  This was my first week and I like the trainer and that she uses weighted cardio.  I ithink it will be good conditioning for April's half marathon training

I have had BB for 2 years I really like it.  If you have access to weights Lifft4 is a good program as well as 21 Day Fix Time and 21 Day Fix Extreme Real Time.  Depends really what your looking for.  Let me know if you have any questions.  I have done 3 roudns of Lifft4, Insanity, 80 day obsession, Transform 20, and CoreDeForce and parts of 21 day fix extreme and 21 day fix real time as well as Hammer and Chisel, P90X    (ps I'm not a coach and I don't sell or use any of their products.  I'm a stay at home mom who does not like to travel to a gyms when I can exercise in my own home)

I am a full time working mom who just hate exercise at all!  🤣

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Slache said:

I am so saddened by the fact that I am not actively participating in this thread. Since you started it maybe 3 months ago I have not been working out regularly. I used to be the biggest beast in here!

The great thing about physical activity, is that you don't have to follow a set program or be in a specific place, you just build in being active into your normal day. Walk up stairs instead of taking the elevator, park your car the farthest spot from the store and walk more and carry your groceries farther, don't use a cart but carry all your items around the store and home again. Use all the muscles you own as much as possible throughout your regular day.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Never too late to get back into it. 

I did 30 min on treadmill and roughly 35 walking outdoors today. I kept my phone on and it says 6000 steps. I don’t know what is normal for a healthy individual. I know some people log 10k easily. I don’t think mine has ever said that. 

I have read multiple times that 6000 steps is what you should aim for. Anything more could be bad on your joints. I don't know whether or not that's true, but that's my goal.

4 minutes ago, wintermom said:

The great thing about physical activity, is that you don't have to follow a set program or be in a specific place, you just build in being active into your normal day. Walk up stairs instead of taking the elevator, park your car the farthest spot from the store and walk more and carry your groceries farther, don't use a cart but carry all your items around the store and home again. Use all the muscles you own as much as possible throughout your regular day.

I'm in too much pain.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Slache said:

I have read multiple times that 6000 steps is what you should aim for. Anything more could be bad on your joints. I don't know whether or not that's true, but that's my goal.

I'm in too much pain.

I'm sorry you are in such pain.

I think the latest research suggests that more steps causes joints to be stronger rather than the opposite. This is about running

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/does-running-damage-your-knees

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Slache said:

I'm in too much pain.

I'm so sorry to hear that. Is the pain from a temporary health issue, or is this long-term pain you'll be dealing with?

As far as specific numbers of steps, I think a lot depends on what kind of steps (walking vs running), the surface you're walking on (smooth, uphill, downhill, concrete, soft dirt), any underlying health issues you may have. Our bodies are mostly made to be used, and if they aren't used then tissue is lost (unless there are underlying health issues). But as we age, there is wear and tear that effects everyone. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I'm so sorry to hear that. Is the pain from a temporary health issue, or is this long-term pain you'll be dealing with?

As far as specific numbers of steps, I think a lot depends on what kind of steps (walking vs running), the surface you're walking on (smooth, uphill, downhill, concrete, soft dirt), any underlying health issues you may have. Our bodies are mostly made to be used, and if they aren't used then tissue is lost (unless there are underlying health issues). But as we age, there is wear and tear that effects everyone. 

I sustained a back injury about 4 years ago. The pain has never gone away. I have been to a chiropractor, a physical therapist, done in home exercises. Doctors are more than willing to prescribe me pain medication which I do not take because I am prone to addiction.

• Sad 3

2 minutes ago, Slache said:

I sustained a back injury about 4 years ago. The pain has never gone away. I have been to a chiropractor, a physical therapist, done in home exercises. Doctors are more than willing to prescribe me pain medication which I do not take because I am prone to addiction.

Man, that must be so frustrating. Have you ever looked into Occupational Therapy or Neurofeedback? I can see wanting to avoid strong pain meds.

Have any of the specialists you saw recommended limiting your physical exercise? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Man, that must be so frustrating. Have you ever looked into Occupational Therapy or Neurofeedback? I can see wanting to avoid strong pain meds.

Have any of the specialists you saw recommended limiting your physical exercise? 

We are too poor with no insurance.

No. They all want me to lose weight. I want a treadmill. I'm jealous of y'all talking about your treadmills.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slache said:

We are too poor with no insurance.

No. They all want me to lose weight. I want a treadmill. I'm jealous of y'all talking about your treadmills.

Insurance issues suck. Even in Canada, with universal health care, we have a lot of limitations regarding health care. Sorry you aren't getting enough support for your back issues.

What is the biggest attraction for you with a treadmill? Can you fill that need in other ways? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Insurance issues suck. Even in Canada, with universal health care, we have a lot of limitations regarding health care. Sorry you aren't getting enough support for your back issues.

What is the biggest attraction for you with a treadmill? Can you fill that need in other ways? 

Small kids, simple in home activity. No.

I actually finally made the decision about a month ago that I am going to get a treadmill after years of thinking about it. I am going to spend like $800 and get a really good treadmill. We have a few bills that we are behind on and once that is done I can start putting money away. I haven't picked one out yet, but I want a dang good one!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I did two workouts today.  Went to my regular OT class at 9:30 this morning, and was reminded that the Dri-Tri relay was today (teams of 3 each row 1000m, then do 150 bodyweight exercises, then the tread - .75 mi at 6 incline; 1.5 mi for jog/run, but I did the former).  So, yeah, that was at noon and I went back and did that.  It was fun, we cheered each other on, and then there were adult refreshments. 

• Like 3

Today is day 4 of my self-imposed yoga challenge.  So far, so good!  Question for those of you who do yoga... is it normal that I spend the first 10 minutes yawning like crazy?  I don't know if the deep breathing triggers it or what, but I can't stop myself from yawning repeatedly!!!  

Yesterday, I ate whole foods plant based, and last night my resting heart rate dropped by nearly 10 beats from what it's been for the last month or so.  What the heck?!  I see that this is a known side effect in the reddit WFPB (whole foods plant based) sub, so... huh.  If it really is related, the fact that it happened so fast is quite compelling.  I watched Game Changers, which was mentioned in another WTM thread (post meat thread) and really enjoyed it for its presentation of some incredible, lesser known sports and athletes.  Obviously it's not meant to be taken as scientific gospel, but it was compelling enough that I'd like to give it a try, as it builds on the mental momentum for WFPB I've got since reading How Not To Die.  

I haven't been running since CA, but I'm starting to feel antsy about that.  The rain is giving me an excuse though.  We'll see if I put on my big girl shoes and go out later.  

I'll play too:  If I could choose one piece of fantasy workout equipment and a magical space to put it in... I think I'd go for a rowing machine.  Although a standard weight bench and full barbell set (so you don't have to constantly take plates on and off of the bar) is also on my list.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

Yesterday I ended up on 2 more walks. Once for fun with dd and then because I needed two more ingredients from the store for a meal and my car wouldn’t start (eek). The store down the street had what I needed. Not carb friendly at all but a meal stretcher (southern style chicken spaghetti). 

I think some of my family would love this! I've never seen or heard of it before. We've had shredded chicken and egg noodle before and the dc like it. 

Yay on extra walks! Walking/biking with a purpose is my favourite thing. It's not as fun in the winter when there is a lot of ice and wind, though. But who remembers those times? Winter always seems to come as a shock to people here. 😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Today is day 4 of my self-imposed yoga challenge.  So far, so good!  Question for those of you who do yoga... is it normal that I spend the first 10 minutes yawning like crazy?  I don't know if the deep breathing triggers it or what, but I can't stop myself from yawning repeatedly!!!  

Yesterday, I ate whole foods plant based, and last night my resting heart rate dropped by nearly 10 beats from what it's been for the last month or so.  What the heck?!  I see that this is a known side effect in the reddit WFPB (whole foods plant based) sub, so... huh.  If it really is related, the fact that it happened so fast is quite compelling.  I watched Game Changers, which was mentioned in another WTM thread (post meat thread) and really enjoyed it for its presentation of some incredible, lesser known sports and athletes.  Obviously it's not meant to be taken as scientific gospel, but it was compelling enough that I'd like to give it a try, as it builds on the mental momentum for WFPB I've got since reading How Not To Die.  

Is stretching for 30 sec like my dog does first thing in the morning considered yoga? 😉  If so, then yes, I yawn a lot.

Did the film mention how much intestinal gas one produces with plant based diet? It's embarrassing at times, but does provide some extra "explosive power" as an athlete. 😂 I feel sorry for my tennis partner sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can't keep up with you ladies but am glad to see everyone active. I made it home from my campout/training. It was not as active this weekend as we had a lot of sessions where we were sitting. It was a very busy weekend with hardly any free time at all and not a lot of sleep. Fri night to bed at 10:45 and up at 4:50 and last night to bed at 11:15 and up at 5:00. I got just 10k steps yesterday and look like I'll probably just hit that much today. I learned a whole bunch but am spent all weekend in the great outdoors.

Next week will be blissfully slower week and I'm looking forward to getting back in the ol' routine.

• Like 2

My weight is up this morning, not surprisingly, I almost didn't weigh. My eating was off being out camping, as was my digestion, and I'm just retaining fluid in general. Having that 2 weeks in a row was rough, just as I was starting to get back to normal I had to start over. I'll have another day outside Saturday, doing Challenge Course(team building and high ropes course) with my son's troop but at least I get to eat breakfast at home and sleep in my own bed.

I'm craving nice fresh food after a weekend of dried and cold food. I'm also looking forward to more exercise but anticipating the cumulative sleep dep will be catching me and it will be another week of lots of naps, we all have busy seasons though. After this weekend things will be slowing down. 

This week my focus is getting food back to normal, catching up on sleep, getting some down time.

breakfast- plain steel cut oats w/ banana and pb

lunch- spinach salad w/ cucumber, tomato, uncured ham, sunflower seeds, evoo, balsamic and homemade everything

dinner- roasted zuc, onion, and peppers w/ meaty marinara and some red lentil rotini

snack: dark chocolate; plain greek yogurt w/ blueberries and pecans

• Like 3

So I'm on day 3 of my WFPB eating- no specific goal in mind, just trying it out.  Starting to think my dad is right:  It's not that vegans live longer, it just FEELS longer.  LOL.  Kidding, but any whole food diet, with or without meat... is just so much prep.  Sigh.  It's like a Whole30 all over again.  

Yoga is going well, but my real focus this week needs to be on bedtime.  I've been really slacking and wasting my sleep time doing stupid things like watching youtube videos.  So, time to get back on track!!!  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

So I'm on day 3 of my WFPB eating- no specific goal in mind, just trying it out.  Starting to think my dad is right:  It's not that vegans live longer, it just FEELS longer.  LOL.  Kidding, but any whole food diet, with or without meat... is just so much prep.  Sigh.  It's like a Whole30 all over again.  

Yoga is going well, but my real focus this week needs to be on bedtime.  I've been really slacking and wasting my sleep time doing stupid things like watching youtube videos.  So, time to get back on track!!!  

Yes! Chopping up veggies and fruit can take a lot of time. I try to make enough that I can have left-overs.

I need to get to bed earlier, too. The time change is coming up soon, so I'll be completely messed up then. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

LOL 🙂 I did a month of WFPB/vegan diet a couple of years ago, then another couple weeks of just vegetarian, in the end I didn't feel well as the carb is just too high and the protein too low to work for me, even with consciously trying to work those things out. In veg*n diet every protein source is also a carb source. I do however eat less meat than I did before and more carbs. I've always tried to eat lots of veggies, even when doing paleo for a decade. But of course I start slacking when I get busy, tired or stressed- I hope it goes well for you!

8 hours ago, wintermom said:

Yes! Chopping up veggies and fruit can take a lot of time. I try to make enough that I can have left-overs.

I need to get to bed earlier, too. The time change is coming up soon, so I'll be completely messed up then. 

I generally get to bed plenty early but have been waking by 4-4:30 am, when time changes that will be 3:00-3:30, last year I was stuck on that schedule for 3 months or so, it was horrible. I need to wake by 4-4:30 after time changes but do not want to wake any earlier than that.

7 hours ago, cosmoem18 said:

I'm having hard time sleeping lately when I changed my exercise schedule to evening. 

If I exercise too late it causes issues for me too.

WEight was down 2.2 pounds, I was REALLY bloated. Still up a bit but within my maintenance range, hopefully another week(maybe 2) back to normal will get me there- hard to say how much is bloat and how much might be a bit of gain. 

Food was yummy and good yesterday. I forgot I had bought chicken for wraps so I had that and a BIG spinach salad for lunch yesterday and another piece of chicken with my lentil rotini w/ roasted veggies (1 large zucchini, 3/4 a pepper, and a small purple onion).

Today's food-

breakfast- plain steel cut oats w/ pb and banana and 1T of semi-sweet choc chips 🙂 or pumpkin muffins

lunch- gf spinach chicken wrap and large spinach salad w/ cucumber, tomato, red onion- evoo, balsamic, homemade everything seasoning

afternoon snack- half gf everything bagel w/ slice of cheese and small handful almonds

post workout- plain nf greek yogurt w/ unsweet almond and choc almond milk and 1/2 banana + strawberries

dinner- chili

Tonight is lifting, I tried a bit Sun when I got in but my body said NOPE, not enough sleep.

I'm looking to change some things up here and am anxious to get back to being more active after flu and allergies kicking my butt, then too much stress and things to do, I'm just not sure what I want to do but am craving more exercise.

• Like 2

Had a rough weekend, ate a ton of pasta. I had multiple essays due and left dh in charge of food. I’m probably up in my weight but it’ll be fine. It’s amazing how hungry eating grains makes me!

Did get In weekend pilates. Hit 9k steps and 10 floors yesterday.

exercise goals: 2 barre, 1 elliptical, 1 yoga

Eating goal: stay off the crack/pasta!

• Like 2

After my Pilates/Nordic Walk double yesterday, I went for a triple today: yoga with Adriene, 40 minutes of meditation and a slow five-mile hike, up and down through woods and stopping to chat to neighbours. Tomorrow will be five hours in a car, so it's good to have stretched out today. I might manage my five-minute weights this evening too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, soror said:

WEight was down 2.2 pounds, I was REALLY bloated. Still up a bit but within my maintenance range, hopefully another week(maybe 2) back to normal will get me there- hard to say how much is bloat and how much might be a bit of gain. 

Oh yes, the bloat can be awful! I wish I knew more about the biology/physiology of how bloat occurs and how to exert any kind of control over it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

Oh yes, the bloat can be awful! I wish I knew more about the biology/physiology of how bloat occurs and how to exert any kind of control over it.

Yes, usually I don't have to much issue but I'm guaranteed to have bloat if away from home, even if I'm not eating anything out of the ordinary terribly different. It throws off my bathroom schedule and then I end up all wonked out.

47 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I ate awful yesterday. We stopped at Sam’s so I just bought our dinner there. I ended up finishing dd’s pizza slice in addition the the frozen yogurt & hot dog I got. I was quite hungry at first but I definitely didn’t need to eat all that lol Dh requested some food since I hadn’t made it home in time to make dinner and I ended up getting a soft drink at the drive thru. If it hadn’t all happened in one day it would’ve have been so bad. I’ll try to get some exercise today. We did walk around yesterday but I didn’t get that many steps. We had bad weather all day. I would’ve walked in the rain of it had been more of a drizzle (we had a tornado warning in the morning). 

My priorities are all over the place this week so I’m going to cut myself a little slack. I finished 3 job applications today and started on dd’s Halloween costume. 

I think it is good to have one really terrible day, gets it over with and done, now you can move on!

I felt pretty good day, especially so since I just came back from camp and am still catching up on sleep and woke up at 4:30. I took a nap this afternoon and am hoping for a good workout.

I added in flonase to my allergy treatment and I think it is making a difference. I had some of my annoying coughing this weekend but didn't feel nearly as icky.

Appetite has been steady. I've had oats the last 2 mornings and have felt satisfied but not stuffed until lunch. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

My priorities are all over the place this week so I’m going to cut myself a little slack. I finished 3 job applications today and started on dd’s Halloween costume. 

Wow! That is a lot of work! I was working on updating my resume and completing one job application. I didn't even get the one finished yet. 

• Like 5

Last night's lifting felt good. I added 20# to my hip thrust (up to 115#). 

I slept well last night and did not wake up early on my own, but dh's alarm woke me up at 4:20.

I'm aiming for a walk today, it's been too long.

I scheduled myself for a yoga class Thurs am with my old teacher and YTT trainer. My practice has been a bit sporadic so I'm looking forward to a class but also nervous.

Still not sure what kind of goals I want to set. I'm throwing around signing up for an obstacle race next year. We don't have any gyms to train at though, so I'd have to do my own thing. I wonder if I could get a friend to join me, she's done a race before but it's been awhile. There is a Tough Mudder 5k in May relatively close, they also have the classic that is 8-10 miles and more obstacles. I think it would be better to do the 5k to start.

• Like 5

On 10/21/2019 at 9:40 AM, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

To eat right, I have to cook.  I do not like to cook.  I get around this by making huge batches, eating the same dinner for a few days, and freezing the rest in portions.  Fortunately dh is cool with this - my kids got annoyed at leftovers.  Sorry, if you don't like it, you can cook.  But the complainers have all moved out.  Phew!

For breakfast I just have yogurt, fruit and nuts, so no big prep.  For lunches I have those leftover frozen dinner portions, sometimes fruit, sometimes something else I don't have to prep too much.  In the summer sometimes I make a salad that can last a few days.

Have made some fun new recipes lately.  Made a great yellow pea/leek/mushroom soup.  I love super-thick flavorful soup.  This was great.  My mom's lentil soup is my all-time favorite, but I'm trying out more recipes for variety.  I've got a red lentil coconut curry that will stay in rotation, and a garbanzo stew.

Currently have purple Asian yams roasting - I found a recipe for purple yam ginger pudding.  This may be delicious, or it may be just weird.  But I had to try it.

I have also not been good about the sleep lately.  I need to get more disciplined about that.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1