Menu

October Well-Trained Bodies

Soror

Oops, I forgot to start a new thread and I don't think anyone else did either.

October is going to be very busy for me. I have 2 full weekends of camping and then another all day outing on the 26th and regular life stuff.

This week has been meh as I've been recovering from the flu. I got in a very short workout Tuesday. Last night was 2/3rds of a workout. I will workout at home tomorrow I think and aim to do a full workout (strength training), just going as slow as I need to.

Since I've got busy weekends the next 2 weeks I'm going to flip my workout schedule. I usually do strength training Tues/Thurs/Sat but I'm going to do M/W/F and I'll be doing all my strength training at home. 

I'm moving on to the next level in my pull-up program.

Cardio is just walking/hiking and biking when I can and feel up to it.

Fall is generally rough with allergies and busyness so I'm aiming for 10k steps daily (not off to a great start but couldn't be helped), 3 strength training workouts a week (even if not my best workouts), and maintaining weight. I've been maintaining since July, which feels amazing, its the longest I've gone since having thyroid disease, so far it has felt easy to maintain, so I'm just crossing fingers that continues and maybe I'm finally leveled out.

• Like 4

Thanks for starting the thread!  Can't believe it's October already!!

Haven't been doing anything except regular OT workouts, but keeping up with 5x/week.

Did go have my yearly physical last week (well, after having missed 4+ years of them previous to the one last year...)  I've been kind of dying to know how this work on myself this past year has translated into numbers.... Can't compare A1C numbers, as apparently the dr. didn't run it last year (which I find odd since I have a history of PCOS, which can go along with insulin resistance); the current number is in the normal range, yay.  Total cholesterol went down from borderline high (206) to just within normal (184), but the detailed panel looks much better - good cholesterol (HDL) up 15%, bad (LDL) down 12%, but the truly impressive change was in triglycerides, down 53%  - from 189 to 88 (that was my other out of range number last year; HDL and LDL had been within limits, but they both moved in a better direction).  

• Like 5

Thanks for starting us off for October, Soror.  It's starting to get really cold out now. We're getting frost at night, and it's pretty cold during the days as well. I even wore my new winter coat/parka to work today. I didn't want to freeze going to the bus stop at 6:30 am. 

I've been playing a lot of tennis in Oct! Tuesday, Wednesday and again Friday. It's fast paced doubles, and we've been playing at least 2 hours. It is cold, and takes a while to warm up the body, but it's so much fun. I also went for my weekly hike with friends on Thursday. It was really nice. 

Food is going very well. I'm still loving the gluten- and dairy-free diet. My body feels to good and energetic, and I'm maintaining my weight nicely. I'm not exactly sure what I'll do for the big Thanksgiving dinner next weekend (it's much earlier in Canada). I'll probably just bring my own food, and add in some turkey.

• Like 4

I ran my 15k last weekend. It was sooooo hot (90’s) and humid. I averaged a 11:44 pace and ran the whole way so I was pleased (I’m a sloooow runner). 

I’ve been sticking to my workout schedule. 

I have my long run today 13-14 miles. The heat has finally broke so I don’t need to be out there by 5:00. 

This week 5, 3, 7, 3, and 13 miles for runs,  2 sessions of weight training, and probably no yoga. I’m volunteering at my daughter’s school book sale which conflicts with the classes I usually take. 

I joined a local running club. I’ve just got to get up the courage to post on the Facebook page to see if any other slow runners going to the group runs. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hshibley said:

I ran my 15k last weekend. It was sooooo hot (90’s) and humid.

I wish we could average out our temperatures! 😁  I imagine your days aren't getting dramatically shorter like we are in the north. That's a rough combo, with cold and dark. Makes me want to hibernate.  

• Like 3

Our temps are starting to drop too and the days are shortening.  What parallel are you on, Wintermom?  We're at 56 and a bit N.  We had our first frost this week (in the countryside), but the days are still in the high single figures or low double figures C.  The sea protects us from seriously low temps.

Husband was out of town this week, so I got lots of steps in walking the dog during breaks at work.  I also managed three Nordic Walks but only one yoga.  I really enjoyed the extra steps before work, but that's my meditation time and I can't see getting up earlier, so I'm not sure how to square that. Weight was up after last weekend in London but dropping now.  I forgot to book yoga for Monday and all the places are gone.  I might show up anyway and see if there are any cancellations. Quick meditations this week but nothing longer.

I had a bad spell of SVT this week - went on for almost 30 minutes (if it's more than 30 I'm meant to go to hospital) but then left me tired and distractible for the rest of the day.  If I get those more frequently (they tend to increase with age) I'll seek the treatment I was offered previously.

Really enjoyed the NW today - on a different beach.  It's very dramatic there: if you've seen Shakespeare in Love, it looks like the beach at the end - endless and sweeping with pine trees at the end.  I had to ford a lot of rivulets, which was fun.  ETA: it was low tide and Fitbit thought I was hiking with scuba gear.

I was listening to the In Our Time podcast about Nobel Prize Winner for Chemistry Dorothy Hodgkin - highly recommended. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0008wkk

Screen Shot 2019-10-05 at 17.34.27.png

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

@Laura Corin  Glad you enjoyed your "Under the sea" walk today!! 😂 That is classic.  I'm not nearly as far north as you are, so I don't get the lovely long summer days. I'm a little north of 45 N according to my globe, so not sure how accurate that is. What is SVT? I hope it's not too painful. I'll have a listen to that podcast.

I went for a "comfortable" mountain bike ride through our local woods. It only has a few rocks and roots to navigate through. Then I went for a hike in the woods with the "highly technical" mountain biking trails. I've been on them with my bike and I opt to hike on them now. 😉  I hiked into the woods for an hour, then got a frantic phone call from home that the van was needed, so I ran out of the woods like a mountain goat. It was pretty exhilarating and took all my focus to navigate over all the boulders, rocks, leaves and tree roots/logs. I don't think I'll do the trail running thing too much. I'm too scared of hurting myself. 

Now I'm cozied up to an apple cider (not Strongbow, rather a local brand that's sweeter), and a piece of pumpkin pie. Life is good!

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, wintermom said:

@Laura Corin  Glad you enjoyed your "Under the sea" walk today!! 😂 That is classic.  I'm not nearly as far north as you are, so I don't get the lovely long summer days. I'm a little north of 45 N according to my globe, so not sure how accurate that is. What is SVT? I hope it's not too painful. I'll have a listen to that podcast.

I'm a bit south of you, wintermom, at 42.5 latitude.  Fall is definitely here, though - the leaves are turning, the air is crisp, and pumpkin spice coffee is in at Trader Joe's! 🎃  😂  We've had the wood stove going already a few times.  Volunteering at a regatta tomorrow - should be very chilly in the morning!  (This is the first year in the last 3-4 that I won't also be racing in said regatta - such a bummer that rowing bagged out this year. 😕 )

Now I'm cozied up to an apple cider (not Strongbow, rather a local brand that's sweeter), and a piece of pumpkin pie. Life is good!

That sounds completely lovely!!!

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I went for a "comfortable" mountain bike ride through our local woods. It only has a few rocks and roots to navigate through. Then I went for a hike in the woods with the "highly technical" mountain biking trails. I've been on them with my bike and I opt to hike on them now. 😉  I hiked into the woods for an hour, then got a frantic phone call from home that the van was needed, so I ran out of the woods like a mountain goat. It was pretty exhilarating and took all my focus to navigate over all the boulders, rocks, leaves and tree roots/logs. I don't think I'll do the trail running thing too much. I'm too scared of hurting myself. 

Pumpkin pie and cider sound good. I grew up in cider country with scrumpy,which is strong and dry, but I like mulled cider these days.

So you are near the US border? Do I have that right?

SVT is supra-ventricular tachycardia. It just means that my heart has random episodes of beating too fast, over 200 beats a minute. My Fitbit seems to chicken out and only catches about half the beats. SVT is not painful: I just feel panicky and a bit breathless and weak. It's not usually dangerous, but it's not a good idea for it to go on too long each time.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Pumpkin pie and cider sound good. I grew up in cider country with scrumpy,which is strong and dry, but I like mulled cider these days.

So you are near the US border? Do I have that right?

SVT is supra-ventricular tachycardia. It just means that my heart has random episodes of beating too fast, over 200 beats a minute. My Fitbit seems to chicken out and only catches about half the beats. SVT is not painful: I just feel panicky and a bit breathless and weak. It's not usually dangerous, but it's not a good idea for it to go on too long each time.

Yes, I'm about 45 min drive to the NY border. I'm pretty far south of the US/Canada border that is west of Lake Superior, though. I grew up in northern Alberta, which is getting closer to your latitude. 

I'm really enjoying cider now, as wine gives me a head-ache and beer tastes blah! Actually, my "local" cider was from British Columbia, which is farther away from me than the UK. 😂

SVT sounds a little bit frightening to live with. Is the treatment invasive? 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I grew up in cider country with scrumpy,which is strong and dry

I tuned in to find out what scrumpy is, looks like I'll have to Google. 🙂

Perhaps someone here can advise me on a quandary I've been wrestling with. Ages ago, let's say in my 20s, I could run 4 days a week and every two weeks add a mile to one of my runs. Slowly I eked up the distance on all of them, then ran a long race or took a long trip and ramped back down or had to start over. Now, approaching 50, I just can't seem to pull it off. I run 4 days a week, but I never feel like, "hey, I could add another mile" In fact I often fall for the "hey, I'm just going to walk a bit here" ploy. 🚶 Normal aging process? Insufficient moral fiber? 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

I'm a bit south of you, wintermom, at 42.5 latitude.  Fall is definitely here, though - the leaves are turning, the air is crisp, and pumpkin spice coffee is in at Trader Joe's! 🎃  😂  We've had the wood stove going already a few times.  Volunteering at a regatta tomorrow - should be very chilly in the morning!  (This is the first year in the last 3-4 that I won't also be racing in said regatta - such a bummer that rowing bagged out this year. 😕 )

That sounds completely lovely!!!

No Trader Joe's here, but I do love pumpkin spice! I get my fix through my pumpkin/Georgia sweet squash pie these days. So yummy! I wish I had a wood stove. I LOVE the smell.  

Enjoy the regatta. How much longer is your season out on the water? Do you take a break in the winter, or carry on with dry-land training? Or can you train all-year round? I keep assuming everyone's water freezes over in the winter. 😉

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SusanC said:

I tuned in to find out what scrumpy is, looks like I'll have to Google. 🙂

Perhaps someone here can advise me on a quandary I've been wrestling with. Ages ago, let's say in my 20s, I could run 4 days a week and every two weeks add a mile to one of my runs. Slowly I eked up the distance on all of them, then ran a long race or took a long trip and ramped back down or had to start over. Now, approaching 50, I just can't seem to pull it off. I run 4 days a week, but I never feel like, "hey, I could add another mile" In fact I often fall for the "hey, I'm just going to walk a bit here" ploy. 🚶 Normal aging process? Insufficient moral fiber? 

I'll have to check out scrumpy, too! Sounds more like a pet dog than a bevi.

I find running regularly to be too much for my 52 yo body, TBH. It's the non-stop pounding (foot landing on hard surface) that is simply too demanding. I ran today in the woods, over rock and soil, and I could immediately feel a difference on the soft soil. It just feels better on the joints. When I go for my occasional run now, I feel that excitement and rush of speed, that makes me want to go a little longer or a little faster. Otherwise, I hike, bike and play tennis. Even though there is a lot of footwork in tennis, it's not the non-stop pounding that running involves.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, wintermom said:

No Trader Joe's here, but I do love pumpkin spice! I get my fix through my pumpkin/Georgia sweet squash pie these days. So yummy! I wish I had a wood stove. I LOVE the smell.  

What, no Trader Joe's?  How do you manage?! 😉😉😂  Seriously, I am now addicted to some of the stuff there.  They just added Reed's double-strength, sweetened with only stevia, ginger beer.  I'm not a soda drinker, but I could mainline ginger.  And no calories!  

Enjoy the regatta. How much longer is your season out on the water? Do you take a break in the winter, or carry on with dry-land training? Or can you train all-year round? I keep assuming everyone's water freezes over in the winter. 😉

My club is only open a couple of weeks after this regatta, and then the docks get pulled in for the winter.  The club here in town (which rows on a lake, not a river), goes through November, but honestly it's freaking cold, and I'm just as happy to be by a warm fire at that point!  My club also has no facilities for winter training - the club house is owned by the local university, and also, the best space for setting up machines there is on the deck (so, outside, not good), and where the boats is not heated.  I did a couple of winters of winter training with the club here in town (of the lake, but they were training in the town rec center in the winter), but last winter that kind of fell apart, and that's how I ended up starting with OrangeTheory - it's not proper rowing, but at least I do get access to a rowing machine and don't completely lose my cardiovascular fitness over the winter (which is exactly what happened between my first and second rowing season, where all I did was Pilates in the winter).  Water definitely freezes here!

The one thing that does get interesting here at these latitudes not quite as high as yours, but still fairly high, is by this time in the year if we were on water, we'd be rowing most of the time in the dark.   That's interesting...  There are in fact other boats and a bridge to go under.  The coxswain and the coach in the launch has to keep an eye out.  I'm not sure I'd want to be sculling in the dark...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

What, no Trader Joe's?  How do you manage?! 😉😉😂  Seriously, I am now addicted to some of the stuff there.  They just added Reed's double-strength, sweetened with only stevia, ginger beer.  I'm not a soda drinker, but I could mainline ginger.  And no calories!  

My club is only open a couple of weeks after this regatta, and then the docks get pulled in for the winter.  The club here in town (which rows on a lake, not a river), goes through November, but honestly it's freaking cold, and I'm just as happy to be by a warm fire at that point!  My club also has no facilities for winter training - the club house is owned by the local university, and also, the best space for setting up machines there is on the deck (so, outside, not good), and where the boats is not heated.  I did a couple of winters of winter training with the club here in town (of the lake, but they were training in the town rec center in the winter), but last winter that kind of fell apart, and that's how I ended up starting with OrangeTheory - it's not proper rowing, but at least I do get access to a rowing machine and don't completely lose my cardiovascular fitness over the winter (which is exactly what happened between my first and second rowing season, where all I did was Pilates in the winter).  Water definitely freezes here!

The one thing that does get interesting here at these latitudes not quite as high as yours, but still fairly high, is by this time in the year if we were on water, we'd be rowing most of the time in the dark.   That's interesting...  There are in fact other boats and a bridge to go under.  The coxswain and the coach in the launch has to keep an eye out.  I'm not sure I'd want to be sculling in the dark...

I'm kind of glad that I've never been inside a Trader Joe's. I don't know what I'm missing. 😉

I have paddled slowly on a lake at night, which was lovely, but I'm not sure I'd want to be zipping along backwards!! That would be freaky. 

• Like 3

Scrumpy is just rough, natural, unfiltered cider. I think you just leave the juice to ferment with the yeasts that occur on the apple skins. In the UK, the West Country is the home of scrumpy.

You can take drugs for SVT, or have a operation. The symptoms are caused by an electrical misfire in the heart, so the operation blocks the signal. It's done these days via a probe that travels to the heart along a vein. A friend had it done recently and says the recovery was very easy. I don't get episodes often and they have usually been minor, so no need for an operation yet.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

Scrumpy is just rough, natural, unfiltered cider. I think you just leave the juice to ferment with the yeasts that occur on the apple skins. In the UK, the West Country is the home of scrumpy.

You can take drugs for SVT, or have a operation. The symptoms are caused by an electrical misfire in the heart, so the operation blocks the signal. It's done these days via a probe that travels to the heart along a vein. A friend had it done recently and says the recovery was very easy. I don't get episodes often and they have usually been minor, so no need for an operation yet.

Scrumpy sounds delicious! How strong is the alcohol? I should look to see if it's shipped to Canada. ETA: Boo. No scrumpy in Ontario or Quebec. I'll have to go to Scotland, I guess! 😁 Maybe swing by Ireland for some real Guinness. 

Hopefully your SVT will remain fairly asymptomatic. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

Went out contra dancing with dh tonight, which got me to over 12k steps!  But now my durn fitbit refuses to sync - what is up with that???  It hasn't synced since 4:46 this afternoon.  I've been trying to get it to manually sync repeatedly, and it keeps telling me 'No device found' even though it's right there on my wrist!  I've tried exiting the fitbit app, going into the main menu and trying it from there, turning 'continuous sync' and 'all day sync' on and off again - but it just can't seem to find my fitbit!  Which has plenty of battery power, as does my phone.  Anyone have this happen and know how to fix it??

I've had it do it sometimes for like a minute, but then it gets a clue and all is fine.  I've been trying for about 20 minutes now... 😬

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Went out contra dancing with dh tonight, which got me to over 12k steps!  But now my durn fitbit refuses to sync - what is up with that???  It hasn't synced since 4:46 this afternoon.  I've been trying to get it to manually sync repeatedly, and it keeps telling me 'No device found' even though it's right there on my wrist!  I've tried exiting the fitbit app, going into the main menu and trying it from there, turning 'continuous sync' and 'all day sync' on and off again - but it just can't seem to find my fitbit!  Which has plenty of battery power, as does my phone.  Anyone have this happen and know how to fix it??

I've had it do it sometimes for like a minute, but then it gets a clue and all is fine.  I've been trying for about 20 minutes now... 😬

It fixes itself. And your steps will still be there tomorrow so you're fine.

• Like 3

I went for a little bike ride to the grocery store, then lugged home the groceries. I will hopefully play tennis later, but if not I should probably rake some leaves. I like to wait for a while before raking, as it's a little like vacuuming dog hair - a daily chore that never looks like you did anything. 😉

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I periodically have to reset mine and reinstall the app.

I may be asking you how to do that...

So today I've been on my feet, moving, nonstop since 7am until just now.  Haven't even been able to sit down - I even ate lunch standing up.  My fitbit said it was at 80%, but that was of course the last time it synced yesterday afternoon.  Usually my battery lasts for days - I've never had it get even close to empty.  It should have had days more, even if 80% was yesterday.  But apparently all that trying and failing to sync killed the battery - so all that moving today - not counted. 😡  The actual fitbit didn't tell me the battery was low till I was already at the regatta, then it promptly died.  The stupid thing is charging now.  We'll see if it manages to find the app on the phone after it wakes up.  Will it at least still have yesterday's info?  Grrr...

• Like 1

I hate it when steps don't get counted, with my old counter I lost both days we left the country and returned. I've not had any issue with my new Fitbit but my batter life is pathetic, maybe 2 days but I have the Versa lite.

I did no exercise this weekend. My period started early and that coupled with still not feeling 100% knocked me down. I took my iron yesterday and am hoping to feel better today. Tired of feeling tired.

Hoping for good food, good energy, and good workouts this week.

• Like 3

Thinking of trying a Beach Body streaming trial.  Does anyone do a steaming workout membership?  What do you like?  

Thoughts?

We have a mini-gym here in our neighborhood, but it is a small room with a few weights, a couple of treadmills and a couple of ellipticals.  My boys use it.  I prefer to do something at home.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

Thinking of trying a Beach Body streaming trial.  Does anyone do a steaming workout membership?  What do you like?  

Thoughts?

We have a mini-gym here in our neighborhood, but it is a small room with a few weights, a couple of treadmills and a couple of ellipticals.  My boys use it.  I prefer to do something at home.

Hmmm, I know one of the ladies does Beachbody but I'm horrible with names, hopefully they see your post and chime in.

• Like 2

I spent 16 hours in the car over the weekend, so I’m dying to get to the gym today. It was a really long and unpleasant couple of days. 

Last weight was 146, which would mean a 5lb loss in September, but I ping-ponged so much last month that I think it’s likely that I’ll be up again when I weigh myself today. The weekend was stress, road food, and sitting in a car. Not a good combo.

Goals this week: 4 gym workouts.... I don’t know what my food goals are. Maybe no snacks after dinner is a good one. That’s been a struggle lately. I would like to solidly break past 149 this month. That seems to be the weight my body retreats to. 

ETA: weigh in this morning was right at 146! I’m shocked. I mean, I did nothing but sit all weekend, I ate a chili burger and consoled myself with a bag of peanut m&m’s on the way home. But hey, I’ll take it! 

Edited by sassenach
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, DawnM said:

Thoughts?

I have Beachbody on Demand and I love it.  There's a huge variety of workouts to choose from, and they add new programs every few months.  I've done Clean week, 21 day fix, 21 day fix extreme, PiYo, Liift4, and some of T-25 and 80 day obsession.  One of my kids has done Tai Cheng and the other did Core de Force.  We are all currently doing Morning Meltdown 100.  I love the variety available, and how we can all use it.  I live rurally, and there's no way I'd make a habit of driving into town to go to a gym.  

• Like 5

What supplements do you guys take for joints? My knees have been complaining a little. I backed off of the higher impact class I was taking, so at this point it's all lowish impact. I am the WORST about taking vitamins. I take nothing currently. 

So what have you all found helpful?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, sassenach said:

What supplements do you guys take for joints? My knees have been complaining a little. I backed off of the higher impact class I was taking, so at this point it's all lowish impact. I am the WORST about taking vitamins. I take nothing currently. 

A hot bath, or a cold bath followed by a hot bath, a little rest and a glass of wine? 😉  I've been trying apple cider now. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Yes. The only supplement I take is vitD.

I'm taking calcium (due to going non-dairy) with magnesium (supposed to help with muscle soreness), and Omega-3 with vitD. Omega-3 was suggested by my eye dr and vitD recommended by my family dr.

• Like 4

I get to play tennis this evening! The weather is warm and sunny. Warm is a relative term. It's 59 F. I can live with it. It means I can run around and not sweat as much as in the summer. Sometimes the cooler temps make it easier to exercise outside as heat can feel really draining. To off-set this benefit, there is the early lowering of the sun and the desire to go to sleep at 7pm. Oh well, as Friedrich Neitzsche said (I just learned this was Nietzsche), "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." He died, of course. The weakling. 😉 

And we're supposed to get frost again tonight. Hope I live until tomorrow. 😂

• Like 2

re: joints- I don't take anything specifically for joints but I do take magnesium which can help with aches and pains

I'm hoping to get to the gym and get out of this funk of feeling bad. I will be doing a quick workout though as I have a ton of errands and the stupid gym has started this class right where I work out, I think I'll have enough time if I hit it hard and focus.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, sassenach said:

A low inflammation diet.

• Like 3

Finally got in a full workout!!! Didn't feel bad either, I'm so glad to not be sick anymore!!!

I'm already feeling some soreness in my shoulders but didn't feel like a total wimp, so that's nice. I've moved up to the next phase in my pull-up program.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dh and I played mixed doubles tennis last night for 2 hours, and we'll play again tonight! 

Ds and I went on a field trip of our own creation. Our goal was to hike up to a water fall on the Quebec side of the river, but we couldn't find the trail. We found another trail that was High Adventure for us, though! It was very fun. We accidentally came upon some rock climbing cliffs, and hiked up beside them to reach the summit. It was really beautiful! After our descent we stopped at a road-side stand for fresh pommes frites (French fries)! Yummy!!
8xO430EOabBOh6ihUdHdgXSVDnm5J443SkSoqtKC5CuxSRj7BjFDcf1HuPAvFS7bXI-mV3ESvZDvo0bjxFZ3K64OYXVSJ2qP3LfsFj5RdJ6I6L5nBnQy7HGSynWNGw8YimMxwIhNK-gCiCSNH3NeL1ElYpyothXFy-gfyD_K5SJnneS6SqZcYgkhgmkQ-tG1JrBbrloTPu8yHMcrsokf3nSqFcOXvlM9P_Oefx5qwEMH6ScZW_OCsG_FyJ732Ex0KefAdPtM18Wv4MzBqjVyoOkGouB7h6DFSc0vwDxoTSoBLfaqhvcFaJnOBhMLBJ7QJ713zgY6Y057dI6ww8yVnxUvvWnSI6ew9DY7FFpWFhdHyZXqz5GvGev74-0wfqRoCrTXZN_H2URrOhR101r9GvE6wYzK0DnmPalsgram4P46VByW-qdJ2xq4BH5fWAw8BQGVmoQNO-FhgXEV0cEZ5jzbLrSr2aRhyV-p-MRloHK7d85eR61pzKbZyaByEslo4I88eobSSIeJ4ZEq0x4s7DQgVe24bH9l-kJt__2dcirhdwWi1N_65kcH90_bi1pzNTkttPqr-lSIWQB9Cm4jTqp7neqhiJ-gk29YSyIwpm46srMBxmXvjNMbAIRqKHxUibk4ABpBPItd7hBwqGCagNzlKuAmg8j9GDKaZKosjAdE6jUocKm96mEPNaYUqfRupohwHnphhhqSrvoJsCuGiRE8E13s3xzVf79iEtEleUEJWHQ=w703-h937-no

ZS7YN-EG-2YC6Ifw_yntfEyZfea319CNI_B93ECVVkS87GNCcgoo31I8AgCfuRdBxBZiUkTA0Ie5_MqUc2lJWvVUI_LSyhkQ4Sj5wF2AfQlX2b4CflRlwom9oSmj4RxSBl9J3oLQMZNWkeLk828G8Dq4snNnonsw4Ejcaci50_ZqRm8ySHuVNcceGjhFr_7pLO9MzpbGZTdrwkWqLRMaDJ26nuHv_y75FNlgmnhY0x8z5dgthvW-0urT23sL9Bcith5NWdJhj9030Tpm54D7LORqPRDCGCVn3sOYdUoivKb2ldCdLyLGKprEYVmlh5nvW8ourodQxwl95yoaVcexJZxIpKyWzes9E66-lSWtOHXVx8NL3jzzvVU_8BG-FneRrwPdo8g1aI_qyMJNY7mU-ZagCLkLYcd8HjGRc6ecW6Pu4D3dbzcpnsb-5ygsCEqbimjjMAU03BPzPDiq1lrcnFibRMATQA9TgEpogoHehoXC8W0G23iq6sdR_31PKYRaLBdEof1t01vTDfuDrBLbYsW5oDBqjcmcxlP-8hopIKADrIZaRlBB47h8JDdL1ANjLiba9IxDYDQqi0hO1snGF8UW_VffbeBt6AFtYQfZ5ktN1ebBQL2V9TeRwXVAGT4UaAz9V5F91X9pqrmhcICMZYjNdHnDkRKVKyFw5jwVkCX-lIJ8sR_HhRNJQNsdOlpU2Ve-6cHfZ467-bfk5j7s5RGeh_1HVVSmyFnJEWxjQREzDoY=w1250-h937-no

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Wintermom- Lovely pictures!!! You are blessed to be surrounded by such beauty.

I went for a little walk in the woods yesterday and was rewarded with hundreds of seed ticks, it is still not cold enough here for romps through the forest. 

I'm trying not to be discouraged by low energy, I'm not sure if it is residual from the flu (dd2 is young and took weeks to feel 100%) or fall allergies that always knock me down. BUT I seen on my watch today that I've had walks the last 3 days, so that is an improvement even if it is slower than I'd like.

I had a phone consult with the dr. last night, overall I'm doing well, I am stable and am thankful for that. I could have more energy but I have been much worse. I talked to her about the difficulty exercising at times she said she thought it could be a side effect of one of my thyroid meds but my levels look good and it took a lot of tweaking of different meds to find a level I could stay stable at so I think if that is the cause it is what it is. 

I am going to get d, iron, and b12 tested too, those effect energy and it has been awhile since I've had them checked. I especially like to know d levels going into winter and iron helps with thyroid conversion.

Tonight is lifting and I'm sooo sore from lifting Tuesday, my whole body, hopefully training tonight will help work it out.

• Like 4

Dh and I played doubles tennis last night for 2 hours. It was the best tennis I've played in a while as I had freshly re-strung racquet and it felt amazing! Sadly, it may be the last chance this regular group gets together this fall. We've had such as great time getting together 1 - 2 times a week for the last couple months. Our outdoor courts are not going to have lights as of next week, and it's getting dark and cold.

I have my weekly hike with homeschool ladies today, and I'll also fit in a little bike ride.

• Like 4

Almost over the flu. Hoping to get back in the game on Monday.

10 hours ago, wintermom said:

What low inflammation diet are you using? Is it for joint inflammation, bowel, something else, or all of the above?

Whole30. I fast breakfast, have a salad with homemade dressing for lunch, and meat and veggies for dinner. My diet is about 5/8 veggies, 1/4 meat with some oils and nuts. I am allowed to eat fruit but don't. No grains, legumes or dairy. The diet does not allow for alcohol but I drink wine whenever I want which is more than once a week (yay fruit!). If I have grains I gain four pounds of water and my back hurts. This takes 3 days to dissipate. I believe I have an undiagnosed autoimmune disease which causes multiple food allergies, chronic pain and chronic fatigue and I don't believe most people need to be so strict with their eating habits.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Slache said:

Almost over the flu. Hoping to get back in the game on Monday.

Whole30. I fast breakfast, have a salad with homemade dressing for lunch, and meat and veggies for dinner. My diet is about 5/8 veggies, 1/4 meat with some oils and nuts. I am allowed to eat fruit but don't. No grains, legumes or dairy. The diet does not allow for alcohol but I drink wine whenever I want which is more than once a week (yay fruit!). If I have grains I gain four pounds of water and my back hurts. This takes 3 days to dissipate. I believe I have an undiagnosed autoimmune disease which causes multiple food allergies, chronic pain and chronic fatigue and I don't believe most people need to be so strict with their eating habits.

This is close to how I eat except I probably eat more fruit than I should. I also avoid nightshades as much as possible  but I really like Mexican food so sometimes I just choose to hurt. I’ve been on and off dairy. I don’t think it makes a huge difference in my inflammation levels but I also can’t lose any weight when I’m on it. I’m only drinking wine when we eat out, which isn’t that often. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sassenach said:

This is close to how I eat except I probably eat more fruit than I should. I also avoid nightshades as much as possible  but I really like Mexican food so sometimes I just choose to hurt. I’ve been on and off dairy. I don’t think it makes a huge difference in my inflammation levels but I also can’t lose any weight when I’m on it. I’m only drinking wine when we eat out, which isn’t that often. 

I eat all the nightshades. I am a giant nightshade. I haz the shape.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2