Menu

October Well-Trained Bodies

Soror

Good workout last night, feels good to use my muscles. My lats are still so very sore, it hurts  to put on or take off my shirt but I'm thrilled because I'm obviously working what I need to work. I've noticed tightness in my lats on my shirts that are tighter, it takes me forever to gain muscle so that is a nice victory. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since I know you're all just dying to know what happened with my stupid fitbit, lol - after it completely went dead and I recharged it, it started working again (so at least I didn't have to reinstall the app, which I was nervous to do!).  It did record data from the night before and in the morning till it died.  So for that day when I probably logged a kajillion steps, I have something like 5K on there.  Which was by 9:30am, when the event had just gotten going and then I was running nonstop till 4:30.  7 more hours of nonstop walking *poof*. Well, except for the 20-min 'walk' it recorded just before it went dead.   Ah, well. 

So, does anyone know what I should do if this happens again?  Is there a way to turn the fitbit off and back on again, or do I have to wait for the battery to run down?

Have gotten all my workouts in at OT so far.  Rest day today, which is when I think they're having "Everest" - which is where they just keep you going on ever higher inclines on the tread till you're at 15, then back down, with no rests.  Did it last year, not so sad to be missing it, lol.  Did a slightly easier version a week or so ago where they did give you a rest between 15 and going back down.  I'm calling that good, lol.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Hello all!

Just got back from our 3 weeks in CA/NV, and had a great time.  Very little exercise got done though, and my weight is back up to my all-time high (I'm about 20lbs past where I'd like to be, 10lbs past my "I've had 4 kids" low.)

I ran a quarter marathon with my SIL while on vacation, which was a lot of fun.  We each ran half of a half marathon as a relay team, and it was a fun experience to wait at the halfway point, do the anklet exchange, etc.  Best post-race snack ever- right after the finish line they were handing out a basket to each runner with strawberries and a fresh-baked chocolate chip cookie!  Awesome.  I felt WAY better than I did running the same distance in a race here in Switzerland a few weeks previous, and my time was much improved.  That's what a flat course will do for ya!

I walked to the grocery store and back to re-stock after vacation, and it felt great to be moving again.  I don't know how Americans manage to stay trim at all, given all the car driving.  And the food.  I ate so much food.  Yikes.  

Starting Keto again.  I know it's not my long-term solution, but I'm a bit desperate and I know it works for me in the short term.  I'll be pondering long term in the mean time...  

• Like 3

@Monica_in_Switzerland  Welcome back! Sounds like an amazing vacation! Congratulations on the marathon!

I went for a bike ride this afternoon, and my indoor tennis league starts up this evening. I'll be playing doubles for 2 hours. Other than that, it's Thanksgiving in Canada this weekend, so at some point in time I'll be eating turkey! 😁

• Like 3

It's a gorgeous fall day, and my plan is to head across the river to the same park ds and I went to last week. This time we are determined to find the waterfalls we were looking for last time! 😉

Tennis last night was awesome! I've also discovered a new "trick" to lessen muscle pain - wish I'd learned of this years ago. It's magnesium. Dh buys sport drinks with magnesium, and I have calcium pills that also contain magnesium. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

On 10/11/2019 at 2:57 PM, Matryoshka said:

Since I know you're all just dying to know what happened with my stupid fitbit, lol - after it completely went dead and I recharged it, it started working again (so at least I didn't have to reinstall the app, which I was nervous to do!).  It did record data from the night before and in the morning till it died.  So for that day when I probably logged a kajillion steps, I have something like 5K on there.  Which was by 9:30am, when the event had just gotten going and then I was running nonstop till 4:30.  7 more hours of nonstop walking *poof*. Well, except for the 20-min 'walk' it recorded just before it went dead.   Ah, well. 

So, does anyone know what I should do if this happens again?  Is there a way to turn the fitbit off and back on again, or do I have to wait for the battery to run down?

Have gotten all my workouts in at OT so far.  Rest day today, which is when I think they're having "Everest" - which is where they just keep you going on ever higher inclines on the tread till you're at 15, then back down, with no rests.  Did it last year, not so sad to be missing it, lol.  Did a slightly easier version a week or so ago where they did give you a rest between 15 and going back down.  I'm calling that good, lol.

I don't have a clue, I hate it when activity get's missed. Rest days are important and good for you getting in your planned workouts.

On 10/12/2019 at 10:27 AM, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Hello all!

Just got back from our 3 weeks in CA/NV, and had a great time.  Very little exercise got done though, and my weight is back up to my all-time high (I'm about 20lbs past where I'd like to be, 10lbs past my "I've had 4 kids" low.)

I ran a quarter marathon with my SIL while on vacation, which was a lot of fun.  We each ran half of a half marathon as a relay team, and it was a fun experience to wait at the halfway point, do the anklet exchange, etc.  Best post-race snack ever- right after the finish line they were handing out a basket to each runner with strawberries and a fresh-baked chocolate chip cookie!  Awesome.  I felt WAY better than I did running the same distance in a race here in Switzerland a few weeks previous, and my time was much improved.  That's what a flat course will do for ya!

I walked to the grocery store and back to re-stock after vacation, and it felt great to be moving again.  I don't know how Americans manage to stay trim at all, given all the car driving.  And the food.  I ate so much food.  Yikes.  

Starting Keto again.  I know it's not my long-term solution, but I'm a bit desperate and I know it works for me in the short term.  I'll be pondering long term in the mean time...  

Congrats on the race! Racing and feeling well after the race is a great victory. I know our world here is not set up for activity, we are set up for cars. 

I would bet that some of your weight is bloat from the food and traveling wonkyness.

On 10/12/2019 at 2:03 PM, HollyDay said:

sidelined with bronchitis.  How on earth did I get bronchitis so early in the season??

Things are hitting early this year, hope it is over soon.

________________________________________________________________-

We had a busy time camping, not the most sleep though. I came home this morning took a shower(no showers at camp). Lots of walking, lots of carrying things. 16k and 17k step days. I'm planning on a strength workout this afternoon and have got a whole house to clean up and camp stuff, then cook supper.

• Like 4

On 10/11/2019 at 8:57 PM, Matryoshka said:

I reset mine about once a month.  I reckon that my phone and computer work better if I turn them off periodically, so why not the Fitbit.  On the Versa you push and hold the left button and the bottom right button until the Fitbit symbol shows, but I don't know what it is for your model.  It seems to fix a lot of glitches.

I've been eating stupid this week - some work stress that I didn't deal with well.  Over now, I think.  Weight up.

I managed to keep the exercise going though.  I only managed one yoga session, but NW twice and kept up my lunchtime brisk walks.  I used my weights once and I'll do it again after I finish this post.  I'm not making it to Pilates - it's just too late and I no longer feel like filling in the time with a long walk, as it's dark in the evening.  Oh well.  I'm off work next week, so I'll go to a couple of daytime classes.  Meditation has been going well, and a couple of mornings I managed to arrive at work early enough to do a brisk 15 minute walk before meditating before work.  That's a nice combination. 

Today we went on a gentle hike through the beginning autumn colours - skirting a hill then climbing a valley past waterfalls, finally walking back through the remains of a grand 19th century estate.

I've made toasted buckwheat porridge for breakfast tomorrow.   I think it will be good.  I didn't bother with the soaking - just rinsed, toasted, simmered

https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/cooking-tips/article/buckwheat-porridge

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I've made toasted buckwheat porridge for breakfast tomorrow.   I think it will be good.  I didn't bother with the soaking - just rinsed, toasted, simmered

Roasted buckwheat groats (kasha) is one my absolute favorite foods, but I eat it for dinner and make it savory.  Recipe include a beaten egg, but it's used to coat the kernels before they're put in a hot pan and toasted till dry, so they're sealed and don't get soggy - you'd never guess an egg was involved seeing the finished product.  Pour boiling water over after toasting the egg-coated groats and simmer for 10 minutes.  I use the medium granulation rather than whole groats. I usually serve with chicken/mushroom sauce, but I could just eat it by itself - when I was single, I'd sometimes just make a batch for dinner with no other sides.  It's a great whole grain, and even faster to make than brown rice or quinoa.  And so much more flavor.

I've never made it as porridge - you're toasting them, are they already roasted (kasha), or do you use raw groats?  And I'm guessing whole groats?  I add buckwheat flour to my pancake mix.  Mmmmmmm buckwheat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

I reset mine about once a month.  I reckon that my phone and computer work better if I turn them off periodically, so why not the Fitbit.  On the Versa you push and hold the left button and the bottom right button until the Fitbit symbol shows, but I don't know what it is for your model.  It seems to fix a lot of glitches.

Thanks - I went and googled how to do it for the Alta HR - mine has no such buttons.  Apparently, unlike the Versa, the Alta cannot be simply turned off, only reset (which I'm guessing means you lose anything that hasn't been synced).  Not helpful on the one hand - I would've lost that whole evening that eventually got synced after I recharged - but very helpful in that I probably could have gotten it to start working again before it died completely and had me miss a whole day.  The reset buttons are apparently on the charging cable.

• Like 3

I just returned from another epic hike on the same escarpment as last week. This time ds and I were determined to find the waterfall. We brought dd along with us, too. We parked in a busy area and everything was looking good to see the falls, however we went way, way up the rock face and didn't see water or many people. It was beautiful up there, and we came down again angling toward the bigger, more crowded parking lot. Nope, still didn't find it. We ended up bushwhacking all the way down to our vehicle and drove over to the other parking lot. This trail was easier, really crowded, and we eventually found the trickle of a waterfall. The water levels are way down as we've had amazingly sunny, warm weather for the last couple weeks. Oh well, our first adventure hike was very exciting. 😉

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Roasted buckwheat groats (kasha) is one my absolute favorite foods, but I eat it for dinner and make it savory.  Recipe include a beaten egg, but it's used to coat the kernels before they're put in a hot pan and toasted till dry, so they're sealed and don't get soggy - you'd never guess an egg was involved seeing the finished product.  Pour boiling water over after toasting the egg-coated groats and simmer for 10 minutes.  I use the medium granulation rather than whole groats. I usually serve with chicken/mushroom sauce, but I could just eat it by itself - when I was single, I'd sometimes just make a batch for dinner with no other sides.  It's a great whole grain, and even faster to make than brown rice or quinoa.  And so much more flavor.

I've never made it as porridge - you're toasting them, are they already roasted (kasha), or do you use raw groats?  And I'm guessing whole groats?  I add buckwheat flour to my pancake mix.  Mmmmmmm buckwheat.

Yes, I used whole raw. Your recipe sounds great too.

• Like 1

A little jet-lagged update:

Good news - I am losing weight very rapidly.  

Bad news - I have the stomach flu, along with 3 out of 4 kids.  

We are over the worst of it.  But I can't remember the last time we were as sick as that.  

My DH's level of incompetence is usually charmingly absent-minded-professor-esque, but holy cow, I could have used some actual help the last 48 hours.  🤦‍♀️

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Interesting, do you have a link to savory buckwheat, I like to start with an actual recipe for the first time cooking something.

12 hours ago, wintermom said:

I just returned from another epic hike on the same escarpment as last week. This time ds and I were determined to find the waterfall. We brought dd along with us, too. We parked in a busy area and everything was looking good to see the falls, however we went way, way up the rock face and didn't see water or many people. It was beautiful up there, and we came down again angling toward the bigger, more crowded parking lot. Nope, still didn't find it. We ended up bushwhacking all the way down to our vehicle and drove over to the other parking lot. This trail was easier, really crowded, and we eventually found the trickle of a waterfall. The water levels are way down as we've had amazingly sunny, warm weather for the last couple weeks. Oh well, our first adventure hike was very exciting. 😉

Very exciting! We have one biggish waterfall close to here but you really need to hit it in the spring to see it in action.

16 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I've been eating stupid this week - some work stress that I didn't deal with well.  Over now, I think.  Weight up.

I managed to keep the exercise going though.  I only managed one yoga session, but NW twice and kept up my lunchtime brisk walks.  I used my weights once and I'll do it again after I finish this post.  I'm not making it to Pilates - it's just too late and I no longer feel like filling in the time with a long walk, as it's dark in the evening.  Oh well.  I'm off work next week, so I'll go to a couple of daytime classes.  Meditation has been going well, and a couple of mornings I managed to arrive at work early enough to do a brisk 15 minute walk before meditating before work.  That's a nice combination. 

Today we went on a gentle hike through the beginning autumn colours - skirting a hill then climbing a valley past waterfalls, finally walking back through the remains of a grand 19th century estate.

I am sorry about the work stress, I hope this week is better. There are plenty of activities I'd like to do but timing makes a difference. Your walk sounds very lovely and thank you for the recipe. I've not had buckwheat in ages, I think I would enjoy that as a change from oats, although of course I just bought a large amount of steel cut oats !

8 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I thought I posted in an Oct thread but guess not this one ha. 

I’ve been wishy washy but I’ve been doing some fitness stuff. Yesterday it was cool but in a good way. I wore short sleeves and had a nice breeze. I mowed for 2 miles. Today it suddenly got cold. The yard should require less work and hopefully I’ll do more outdoor walks and time at the fitness center. I have done a few of the outdoor walks lately. Just nice to be in nature. My leg is recovering from I dunno what, pulled muscle from stationary bike?? So I’ve been avoiding the bike. 

Ok my 8 lb weights are ok for bicep curls but too heavy for some of the other exercises so I’ll try canned food or a lower weight. 

I threw my back out today?? I bent over to get an item from the laundry basket this morning and haven’t been the same since. It could be from leaning over the mower yesterday??? Good grief I’m falling apart lol 

when we measure each other in sewing class last week for skirts my waistline had gone down a bit more. Weight wise I’m not really doing great but not horrible, either. 

Do you really need 20 min of stretching? Ugh I need a full video to follow but one I’ll actually do. I’m not stretching enough. 

I just stretch after workouts for the most part. Congrats on the smaller waist, that is progress.

1 hour ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

A little jet-lagged update:

Good news - I am losing weight very rapidly.  

Bad news - I have the stomach flu, along with 3 out of 4 kids.  

We are over the worst of it.  But I can't remember the last time we were as sick as that.  

My DH's level of incompetence is usually charmingly absent-minded-professor-esque, but holy cow, I could have used some actual help the last 48 hours.  🤦‍♀️

I'm sorry, that is a not very fun method of weightloss. I hope you guys are on the mend now!

I forgot to work out yesterday, completely. I started cleaning house and then the next thing I knew it was time for supper and then bed, it crossed my mind laying in bed. Oh, well, it is hard when you get outside of the normal schedule. I'm hoping for a good week. I feel good and I think the weather will be decent, hopefully not too rainy. Weight is up a bit, as expected with food outside normal. I hate not eating fresh food, makes me feel icky. I meant to bring more of my own food but simply ran out of time. I'm looking forward to good food today and lots of steps.

food :

plain steelcut oats w/ banana and pb; chai tea w/ unsweet amond milk and honey

chicken w/ gf spinach wrap; greek yogurt w/ berries and nuts

red lentil pasta w/ meat sauce and spinach salad (w/ tomato, cucumber, evoo, balsamic vinegar)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soror said:

Interesting, do you have a link to savory buckwheat, I like to start with an actual recipe for the first time cooking something. 

You want not the whole groats if you can get them,  and already roasted, not raw. I buy this brand in the Jewish foods section

15710652717661293631804.jpg

• Like 2

My exercise for today was installing vinyl flooring in my 17 yo ds's new basement bedroom. My ds 15 and I were a great team putting it in, and dh did all the cutting. My knees are sore, and a bunch of other body parts. I kind of feel like I was rolled over by a steam roller. My body is definitely more used to hiking and playing tennis! 😉 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, wintermom said:

The Kasha looks interesting. What does it taste like? Do you have to watch for intestinal gas, and build up the quantity slowly?

Lol, I'm not sure how to describe the taste - maybe a bit nutty?  But not like nuts?  🤔  Also have no idea about building up slowly?  I've been eating it pretty much since I started eating solid food as a baby - my mom made it often.  Is there something you think would cause that?  Buckwheat has no gluten, in fact it isn't even a grain, botanically - it's seeds from a flowering plant.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Lol, I'm not sure how to describe the taste - maybe a bit nutty?  But not like nuts?  🤔  Also have no idea about building up slowly?  I've been eating it pretty much since I started eating solid food as a baby - my mom made it often.  Is there something you think would cause that?  Buckwheat has no gluten, in fact it isn't even a grain, botanically - it's seeds from a flowering plant.  

There are some foods that can cause me to have incredibly painful intestinal gas. I don't want to do the "trial by error" thing, if I can help it. 😥

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, wintermom said:

There are some foods that can cause me to have incredibly painful intestinal gas. I don't want to do the "trial by error" thing, if I can help it. 😥

Ugh, that stinks.  I'm sorry, I have no idea - I think buckwheat is generally well tolerated?  Not a lot of people eat it these days, but it was once a huge staple crop in Russia and Eastern Europe - apparently the advent of commercial fertilizer allowed them to plant more wheat instead.  Google tells me it's related to sorrel and rhubarb, although you're eating a totally different part of the plant as in rhubarb.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Ugh, that stinks.  I'm sorry, I have no idea - I think buckwheat is generally well tolerated?  Not a lot of people eat it these days, but it was once a huge staple crop in Russia and Eastern Europe - apparently the advent of commercial fertilizer allowed them to plant more wheat instead.  Google tells me it's related to sorrel and rhubarb, although you're eating a totally different part of the plant as in rhubarb.

I spent a week in Estonia in the early 1990s, taking a language course. I stayed in a school residence with local food served. I believe part of the menu had buckwheat. Can't remember exactly what it was, though. I do remember the diced cucumber, tomato and fresh dill "salad." It was delicious! 

• Like 1

I've ordered some kasha in my grocery delivery to try that out instead of plain buckwheat for savoury dishes.  I'm not convinced by my breakfast buckwheat - I don't think it's working well for me as a slightly-sweet option.  Oh well.  I'll finish eating the batch anyway.

The week of exercise is going fairly well.  Walked three times each yesterday and today (before work, at lunchtime and after work).  Yesterday the after work walk was NW; today it was just a brisk walk on a good path.  Around 14,000 steps each day.  I managed to book for yoga on Thursday and I'll try to get into the class for Friday too.  My weight has dropped a bit but it's still higher than I like, so I'm working on expending calories and eating moderately.  Feeling less stressed at work this week, so that is helping.

• Like 3

I just ventured into my first-ever attempt at Indian (I think) cooking!! The results are delicious. I'm thrilled I didn't ruin the food. It's some kind of a "curry," I guess. I used curry leaves. 😉

I went for a couple dog walks and biked to buy the ingredients for my "curry." 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

I just ventured into my first-ever attempt at Indian (I think) cooking!! The results are delicious. I'm thrilled I didn't ruin the food. It's some kind of a "curry," I guess. I used curry leaves. 😉

I went for a couple dog walks and biked to buy the ingredients for my "curry." 

There are several foods/cuisines that I literally never tried as a child because my mom didn't like them.  I just assumed as an adult that I wouldn't like them either.  Indian- yes the entire range of foods!- was on that list.  I am so glad to have finally dared to try it as an adult!  Now there are many dishes I really love!!! So I've been learning to cook it as well.    

Edited by Monica_in_Switzerland
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I cook a lot of this guy's dishes. He's Indian British so it's influenced by his mother's cooking, but is fairly eclectic.https://thedoctorskitchen.com/recipes

His site looks amazing!  Thanks for the new food blog to drool on!  My mom was about to put a cooking magazine in the cart at the grocery store and I was like, "just... no."  Food blogs are such amazing resources because, in a good one, you get some amount of trial and error tips from the original chef, plus lots of substitution and modification options in the comments.  And they are free and don't contain 60% ads for processed foods!  I flipped through a magazine called "Clean Eating" (IIRC) at the grocery store and just had to laugh... all the ads were for "clean" processed foods.  Sigh.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

His site looks amazing!  Thanks for the new food blog to drool on!  My mom was about to put a cooking magazine in the cart at the grocery store and I was like, "just... no."  Food blogs are such amazing resources because, in a good one, you get some amount of trial and error tips from the original chef, plus lots of substitution and modification options in the comments.  And they are free and don't contain 60% ads for processed foods!  I flipped through a magazine called "Clean Eating" (IIRC) at the grocery store and just had to laugh... all the ads were for "clean" processed foods.  Sigh.  

I like the fact that, rather than demonising foods, he offers delicious, healthy, balanced options. I have his book too. He's a fully trained doctor who still works NHS shifts.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

There are several foods/cuisines that I literally never tried as a child because my mom didn't like them.  I just assumed as an adult that I wouldn't like them either.  Indian- yes the entire range of foods!- was on that list.  I am so glad to have finally dared to try it as an adult!  Now there are many dishes I really love!!! So I've been learning to cook it as well.    

Precisely! I've been experimenting with Thai, Chinese and now Indian foods. My dc are also a lot more receptive to these explorations now that they are teens - and because they actually taste amazing. Even dh is coming on-board, and he's always been a true meat and potatoes with bread on the side guy. 😉 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, sassenach said:

"Wow, you look great! But don't lose any more weight!"

I'm so tired of hearing some version of that phrase. I had to field it twice before 8:30am this morning. Why do people thing this is ok? 

The weight culture is so damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't.  Ugh.  

-----

Did 20 minutes of yoga, hopefully day one of my 30 day yoga challenge.  I'm using Yoga With Adrienne.

I'm reading the FIRST running book "Run Less, Run Faster", but not actually running as the back of knee is sore right now.  Hmph

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sassenach said:

"Wow, you look great! But don't lose any more weight!"

I'm so tired of hearing some version of that phrase. I had to field it twice before 8:30am this morning. Why do people thing this is ok? 

I was just complaining about this. My girlfriend is 5'4 and 97 pounds. She gets it constantly.

One that drives my absolutely insane is "real woman". Because we all know a petite female in good shape is just a little girl, right? :dry:

• Like 5

The week is going well. I'm enjoying the last evenings before the clocks change by walking a few miles every night after work. I've also been walking in the mornings and at lunchtime.

I've done my five-minute arm weights every night this week.

Only one yoga so far, but hoping for a second tomorrow.

Weight is back out of the danger zone.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Slache said:

I was just complaining about this. My girlfriend is 5'4 and 97 pounds. She gets it constantly.

One that drives my absolutely insane is "real woman". Because we all know a petite female in good shape is just a little girl, right? :dry:

The thing is, not that this changes anything, but I am objectively still 20lb+ overweight! So it's like this thing of "Oh, you look so good now, you should stop and not get in any better shape!"

Um, thanks? 

My very grown up response this morning was "I am in charge of my own goals."  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sassenach said:

The thing is, not that this changes anything, but I am objectively still 20lb+ overweight! So it's like this thing of "Oh, you look so good now, you should stop and not get in any better shape!"

Um, thanks? 

My very grown up response this morning was "I am in charge of my own goals."  

Stop losing weight. You're making me look fat!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Slache said:

Stop losing weight. You're making me look fat!

I think that's exactly the sentiment.  I've started to get this comment a few times lately - 'you look great!  you're done now, right? don't lose any more! haha".  

While it's true that I'm not actively trying to lose more weight - my original goal was just to eke back into the 'normal' range for my height (rather than just a lb or two shy of 'obese' where I started) - I've lost almost 10 more than that now, and am smack dab in the center of 'normal' - but I'm not even close to the low end!  But I made lifestyle changes, including to my diet, that seems to have my weight still be sloooowly on a downward trend.  So instead of 2 lbs a week or so, it's more like 1-2 lbs every month or two.  I'm not going to actively try to stop that, lol!  If I ever actually become underweight (🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 never gonna happen!), then we can talk.

• Like 6