Menu

Son's first marathon. What to know?

BeachGal

My youngest, 22, is training by himself for his first marathon which is around the beginning of November.

I've tried to talk him into using a trainer or mentor but he wants to do everything by himself for now. I know he can run 13 miles without a problem, maybe more, but I'm concerned that he's not very knowledgeable about how to prepare for a marathon or any unusual health symptoms to watch for.

He's in pretty good shape, eats well, sleeps well, recently had a physical and everything was fine. Still, I'm thinking he might need more information. Can anyone recommend good websites, books, etc. that explain how to properly prepare? TIA.

Oh if he can run 13, he'll get there.  He should work up to to at least 20 or 21 in training.  It is nice to follow a schedule because it kind of lays out your longer and shorter and recovery days.  You don't want to get longer each day.  Also, you will want to taper the week prior.  

I don't know what is exactly meant by "support"?  I ran 3 marathons before I was a fat old mom and never had any more support than what was put out on the race course by the organizers and I carried some gu packets.  He will want to use those stops - drink every time whether you feel you need it or not.  Walk through them if it helps.  

• Like 2

Sounds like he is doing well. Most people run Half and Full Marathon training on their own or with friends using website and app programs.  My husband and his brother did an Ironman just using training suggestions from a website.

Like someone suggested above, taking the aid at the aid stations is important. If he knows what items they will have at the aid stations, then he can use the same things on his practice runs.

• Like 1

dd always did a carb load/spaghetti feed two days before a race.  absolutely NO soda/etc.  (her coach went to the Olympics.)

shoes are a big deal, race shoes are not the ones you walk around in, they are not the ones who do a practice run of the course with either.  fit is very important.

• Like 1

It sounds like you are worried about him.  I can understand that.  My dh started running half marathons about 6 years ago after never ever running before.  He followed an app to prepare.  Maybe your son has been doing that?  I didn't really understand his excitement about the half until I went to my first one to cheer him on (until last year he had a group of friends running with him and I never went).  It's an exciting place, so many runners, so much fun and so exciting to see so many reaching their goals.  

Be prepared to see him exhausted at the end but don't be too concerned.  There are lots of medical people available all along the race route (at least I assume that's normal).  If you would like to be more involved, you may want to look into volunteering on race day.  Our race is always looking for people to help at water stations and along the route.

My now 22 yods decided when he was 16 or 17 to run a half with my dh.  Only he didn't train . .he was coming off a long basketball season, decided he was in great shape, and ran about two miles a week before the race.  Lol!  He finished but had to walk while the "old men" he was running with waited in him.  Lesson learned!

• Like 1

So much good information! I'm guessing that he is using something to train but I'll pass your suggestions along as well. 

He asked me if I know anything about running long distance races but I've only read a little bit about marathons. One of the things I've read is that sometimes long runs can cause the immune system to crash a bit and then runners get colds or flu after the race. Have any of you or your runners experienced that? Ds is in a job now that does not want new hires to be getting sick if at all possible because they're going through a pretty intense 2-year training program while also working. It's a job that he was hoping to get so he does not want to miss any work.

I've also read that long runs in colder weather can traumatize nipples. Any experience there? Any running "friends you know" experience this? LOL.

Also, what are the goo things? Are they those packs of goo that running stores sell? Should he maybe carry some?

I do try to not get too involved in his decisions because they usually work out or he learns his lesson. He asked for advice about this but I don't know much. We did tell him to go get fitted for a new pair of shoes. There's a really good place near him where he can buy shoes AND they offer all kinds of advice/lessons/free daily fun runs -- all near his apartment. So I thought who better than those people to offer advice? So maybe when he gets his shoes he will ask them for more info. It's his decision, though. Things usually work out so I'm not worried.

Anyway, the race is a 50km/50mile in Chicago on November 2nd. He's planning to do the 50 km race which is about 31 miles. The last race he did was when he was 16 or 17 (5-6 years ago) and he has only done a few 5ks total at that. So 31 miles is ambitious! A friend will be cheering him on and my husband and I will also be able to be there as it turns out. We will be in Toronto for a meeting and will drive to Chicago Saturday so we can see the race. Should be fun!

• Like 1

Running stores have packs of Gu in different flavors. https://www.amazon.com/GU-Energy-Original-Nutrition-Chocolate/dp/B000CSCRHY/ref=asc_df_B000CSCRHY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309752499804&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1000599538885660835&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033255&hvtargid=pla-406644590615&psc=1

There are also different brands. Some are packets like the link above. Some are more like jellied candies. Some are stroopwaffels. Dd likes some and some she thinks are disgusting. She tried them out before her races. 

You can also get body glide products in what looks like roll on deodorant to help with chafing between the legs as well as the nipples. 

Dd has not had trouble with her immune system from running but she has had toenails turn black and fall off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Running stores have packs of Gu in different flavors. https://www.amazon.com/GU-Energy-Original-Nutrition-Chocolate/dp/B000CSCRHY/ref=asc_df_B000CSCRHY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309752499804&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1000599538885660835&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033255&hvtargid=pla-406644590615&psc=1

There are also different brands. Some are packets like the link above. Some are more like jellied candies. Some are stroopwaffels. Dd likes some and some she thinks are disgusting. She tried them out before her races. 

You can also get body glide products in what looks like roll on deodorant to help with chafing between the legs as well as the nipples. 

Dd has not had trouble with her immune system from running but she has had toenails turn black and fall off. 

Thank you! A good excuse to eat some stroopwafels. The toenails falling off -- oh my! lol

When I ran long distance I usually did half and half water and energy drink (I needed more than water but not all the sugar and full strength of gatorade) and I carried a couple of packs of clif bloks.  Gus always made me nauseous. There were energy jelly beans too that I liked.  

I'm sure he'll do great!

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 10:19 AM, Jean in Newcastle said:

The Blerch is very much alive and well with me. I like my Blerch!

On 9/18/2019 at 10:40 AM, Garga said:

Bleeding nipples, black and falling off toenails, medical stations, oh my!  

Right?!! I once ran a 5K with my very health-conscious college roommate and, although the atmosphere was fun and I got a free t-shirt and bananas, I just cannot fathom doing that for fun. I was so happy to finish and go home. LOL 😀

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 7:25 AM, CAJinBE said:

Bandaids on the nipples for long distances no matter the temperature or else they will bleed from rubbing on the shirt. Don't wear anything you haven't run in before to make sure it is completely comfortable. 

Now I'm picturing Andy Bernard at the Michael Scott's Dunder Mifflin Scranton Meredith Palmer Memorial Celebrity Rabies Awareness Pro-Am Fun Run Race For The Cure.  

I thought the nipple bleeding was made up!

Good luck to your son, and may he not chafe!

• Haha 3

If he's running 50km and never ran more than 5km, then I would strongly recommend him taking a course if they offer one at that running store you mentioned. 50km is an extremely long distance for a beginner, no matter what the age. It's not just "ambitious" it's too long if he's only starting out training in mid-September. He needs 4 months training to build up to these kinds of long distances. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

If he's running 50km and never ran more than 5km, then I would strongly recommend him taking a course if they offer one at that running store you mentioned. 50km is an extremely long distance for a beginner, no matter what the age. It's not just "ambitious" it's too long if he's only starting out training in mid-September. He needs 4 months training to build up to these kinds of long distances. 

He’s been running 11-13 miles per day recently. I don’t know for how long, though. Maybe a month I’m guessing. He could have done some longer stretches recently. I don’t know, though.

We talk to ds on the weekend and last weekend he mentioned the race and asked for advice. One of my college classmates used to manage the running store which is how I heard about it years ago. I also bought a pair of running shoes there many years ago and noticed the store had a good vibe. They will help anyone who wants to run so that’s why I suggested it to my son.

I think the 50k might be too much but he wants to do it. He’s planning to run and walk but I dunno. I’ll hear from him this weekend and see what’s up then. I don’t think he knows about the bleeding nipples and toenails. That might dissuade him! LOL 

Edited by BeachGal

If he can run 13 miles he’s in great shape.  The typical training schedule wouldn’t have you run 13 miles every day, you would have one long run per week (adding distance each week, up to about 21 miles) and three shorter runs and some rest days.  I would really recommend following a schedule to avoid burning out before the big day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BeachGal said:

He’s been running 11-13 miles per day recently. I don’t know for how long, though. Maybe a month I’m guessing. He could have done some longer stretches recently. I don’t know, though.

We talk to ds on the weekend and last weekend he mentioned the race and asked for advice. One of my college classmates used to manage the running store which is how I heard about it years ago. I also bought a pair of running shoes there many years ago and noticed the store had a good vibe. They will help anyone who wants to run so that’s why I suggested it to my son.

I think the 50k might be too much but he wants to do it. He’s planning to run and walk but I dunno. I’ll hear from him this weekend and see what’s up then. I don’t think he knows about the bleeding nipples and toenails. That might dissuade him! LOL 

Perhaps mention to him that he's looking at a minimum of 4 hours running/walking, most likely. That's a huge demand on the body. You can't just pick up and run that without some kind of systematic training. That does not mean running 13 miles a day, then ramping up to 30 miles. It is a much more complicated formula than that to prevent over-training, injury, dehydration, and other painful stuff. 

10 hours ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

If he can run 13 miles he’s in great shape.  The typical training schedule wouldn’t have you run 13 miles every day, you would have one long run per week (adding distance each week, up to about 21 miles) and three shorter runs and some rest days.  I would really recommend following a schedule to avoid burning out before the big day. 

Definitely! 

• Like 1

YThis is the book I used.  So much valuable information for the first time marathoner, especially about mental preparation and pacing yourself.  The training schedule is straightforward, I was only running three miles when I started, but I built up to 18 miles before successfully running the full marathon on the day. 

https://www.amazon.com/Non-Runners-Marathon-Trainer-David-Whitsett/dp/1570281823/

Edited by Lawyer&Mom
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Perhaps mention to him that he's looking at a minimum of 4 hours running/walking, most likely. That's a huge demand on the body. You can't just pick up and run that without some kind of systematic training. That does not mean running 13 miles a day, then ramping up to 30 miles. It is a much more complicated formula than that to prevent over-training, injury, dehydration, and other painful stuff. 

He lives away from us and I don't know exactly what he's been doing, only that he's been running longer distances for a period of time. He could be using some sort of training app. I don't know. I mentioned to him that it might be good to work with someone from the running store. I know he runs before work and then on to work and that another new hire is doing this, too. I think that is when he's been doing the longer runs. (Work has showers, thank goodness.) Ds might already have an app he's using or is getting advice elsewhere, maybe from the other new hire. I won't know anything until Sunday when we talk again.

He will be just fine! My daughter ran Boston this past spring. She runs with people, of course, but trains on her own for the most part. There's lots of internet advice available if he likes, but for your typical marathon, a reasonably healthy young man can power right through it. I did one at age 40 on my own, and was only in okay shape. He will likely very much enjoy the experience.