Menu

Any tips for newbie camping?

PeterPan

I've done backyard camping with ds but I think I wanna TAKE THE PLUNGE and try a state park, hehe. Any tips? I think he knows how to light a fire. I'm more in the glamping, resort, take a cruise category. :biggrin: This will be a tent. What am I likely to forget or not realize? And I had this STRONG DESIRE to eat all the meals at the lodge, which per the reviews has really nice food. That's not good enough, right? Like I need to cook SOMETHING with him over a fire besides smores, right? LOL 

So what would that something, an easy something that is actually a decent meal, be? I think they have rings and grass. You pick up wood. Don't want to do dogs, yuck. We warmed up cans of soup in the fire when I was a kid. Caesar salad isn't camping, right? I don't know if the ring has a grate over it to take pans and cook, hmm. I'll call.  

There are portapits and hot showers. I guess it's mainly the food question. And the safety. If I put stuff in the tent and keep valuables in the car, is that good enough? This is a state park. 

I never rely on a fire alone for cooking my meals. I have a little Coleman stove or something similar. I need to be able to boil water for my coffee!  A Caesar salad would be excellent! Why not? Fresh fruits and veggies are totally easy with car camping. It's only when you have to lug them in your backpack, along with tent, sleeping bag and underpad that they become problematic because they weigh too much and take up space.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

I've done backyard camping with ds but I think I wanna TAKE THE PLUNGE and try a state park, hehe. Any tips? I think he knows how to light a fire. I'm more in the glamping, resort, take a cruise category. :biggrin: This will be a tent. What am I likely to forget or not realize? And I had this STRONG DESIRE to eat all the meals at the lodge, which per the reviews has really nice food. That's not good enough, right? Like I need to cook SOMETHING with him over a fire besides smores, right? LOL 

So what would that something, an easy something that is actually a decent meal, be? I think they have rings and grass. You pick up wood. Don't want to do dogs, yuck. We warmed up cans of soup in the fire when I was a kid. Caesar salad isn't camping, right? I don't know if the ring has a grate over it to take pans and cook, hmm. I'll call.  

There are portapits and hot showers. I guess it's mainly the food question. And the safety. If I put stuff in the tent and keep valuables in the car, is that good enough? This is a state park. 

For state parks, you cannot gather wood there. You need to bring wood in. Sometimes you can purchase kindling at the ranger station.

Most people who cook camping bring in some kind of propane stove to cook on. But yes, make sure there is a grate if you plan to cook over the fire. I don't remember seeing those at the parks we've camped at.

Make sure there is potable water. If not, you'll need to bring in all your water needs. (For cooking, cleaning, and drinking)

If you are fixing meals, you want to make sure you plan ahead so you have all the preparing utensils as well as cooking and eating utensils.

And some pans for cleaning dishes in.  Plus soap and a scrubbing tool. (Rag works)

Bring some trash bags. You need to make sure to have a way to corral trash you are producing as well.

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Thanks 1

Personally I never bring raw meat on a camping trip.  Obviously people do it, but when I am trying to cook a meal for hungry, impatient kids while also keeping those excited, impulsive children from immolating themselves in the fire, I stick with fast and pre-cooked.

I've had the kids "roast" chicken teriyaki over the fire...except it is already cooked, so they just have to warm it up...or not, they can eat it cold if they get impatient.

I've done the same with meatballs.  Pre-cook, slip a couple on a roasting stick, and eat whenever you get tired of waiting.

Or breakfast for dinner.  You can cook bacon over a fire, but again, I pre-cook it and just let the kids play at roasting it over the fire.  To go with it you can make home fries in a foil packet in the coals.

We also always bring a propane skillet or stove.  So I will heat up pre-cooked taco meat, pulled pork, cheesy rice, etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I never rely on a fire alone for cooking my meals. I have a little Coleman stove or something similar.

You know, I had forgotten that our friends had this when we camped with them! No wonder they could do so much. I don't *think* I'm planning on going that wild? I'll have to price them and see. Certainly would make it easy.

26 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I need to be able to boil water for my coffee! 

Hmm, so I don't drink coffee, but you're right ds would think I was the bomb if I could boil water and make cocoa!

27 minutes ago, wintermom said:

A Caesar salad would be excellent! Why not? Fresh fruits and veggies are totally easy with car camping.

You're right!

25 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

Make sure there is potable water. If not, you'll need to bring in all your water needs. (For cooking, cleaning, and drinking)

Hmm, thanks. I was thinking about drinking water but hadn't thought about more. 

And thanks for the other tips, good list. 

6 minutes ago, Danae said:

If you Google foil campfire dinners or "hobo dinner"

Good tips, thank you!!!

3 minutes ago, wendyroo said:

Personally I never bring raw meat on a camping trip.  Obviously people do it, but when I am trying to cook a meal for hungry, impatient kids while also keeping those excited, impulsive children from immolating themselves in the fire, I stick with fast and pre-cooked.

I've had the kids "roast" chicken teriyaki over the fire...except it is already cooked, so they just have to warm it up...or not, they can eat it cold if they get impatient.

I've done the same with meatballs.  Pre-cook, slip a couple on a roasting stick, and eat whenever you get tired of waiting.

Is it ok if I laugh about this? That's hilarious!!! That's my kinda camping!!! LOL And you're right, that was part of it, just the raw meat, this is not a good plan, germs, washing, waiting, it falling in the fire, it spoiling, it making the cooler yucky... So that resolves it nicely, lol.

4 minutes ago, wendyroo said:

Or breakfast for dinner. 

Now we're getting serious. I'm all about breakfast for dinner, lol.

4 minutes ago, wendyroo said:

We also always bring a propane skillet or stove.  So I will heat up pre-cooked taco meat, pulled pork, cheesy rice, etc.

Ok, I'm going to have to price this. As long as it's not stupid expensive, it sounds like a wise, cover your butt kinda thing to get. Then I'd be a professional, haha. 

Ds has camped in the yard with me and camped on a hill on our property with dh. Somehow he has horrible experiences with dh (you know, like getting rained out, starving, blah blah) and still remembers camping with dh as being REAL camping. I think it means peeing on trees, I don't know. LOL So I've gotta produce here and really make it good or his autism rigidity is going to be a barrier. But yeah, bacon, hot cocoa, certified awesome warm meals, that would rank and pull me up in the camping world. 

Now to go price this camp stove! :biggrin:

We use a little gas stove for camping with a gas cartridge. We are usually in the backcountry where you should not make a fire, as per leave no trace.

You can cook anything that doesn't need a huge amount of prep. Like a boxed pasta. Rice and a sauce. Soup mix. For me, camping is NOT the time to prove my knife skills and cooking abilities. I go for quick and easy. And I won't bother with raw meat or anything that requires careful sanitation. Leave that for home.

Don't take a bunch of stuff. you;re not trying to mimic living at home.

ETA: If you're car camping, food is super easy. Just take stuff that isn't perishable and keep in the car. Apples, bananas. Bagels and peanut butter. Cocoa mix, tea bags. Cereal, nuts, dried fruit. Hard boiled eggs.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok, thanks to Walmart I now have a stove, propane, and a kettle. I'm pretty sure I have cast iron, and I already had forks for smores, etc. I'm seriously in business now!!!

Now I need to figure out how the mattresses inflate. I've done camping with thin self-inflating mats, and I'm done with that. I've got a couple twin air mattresses, so I just need to figure out if the pump uses batteries.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, regentrude said:

You can cook anything that doesn't need a huge amount of prep. Like a boxed pasta.

Our friends did this! Well I'm going to talk with him and make a list. Now I'm excited! Y'all were right that the biggest problem was food, and the camp stove solves that. 

When I want easy meals camping I prep at home and heat up on site.  I always have a Coleman stove and stand as a back up. I make a beef stew at home a couple of days before we go and reheat it on the campstove.  Yes, I have had Caesar salad camping-we had the ingredients at home, I needed to use them up, the girls like it, and often there are burn restrictions where we go.   I grilled the chicken breasts at home. I'm not above bean burritos because it's simple and filling.  Bacon and eggs are easy.  Sandwich stuff is easy. Cereal and milk are easy.

• Thanks 1

Foil dinners are easiest for novice campfire cooks.   You will want a pair of long handled tongs and oven mitts.

Pie iron sandwiches are also easy.  At the most basic level you need a loaf of sandwich bread, butter or cooking spray, and whatever you want to use as a filling.   Pizza sauce and shredded cheese are popular with children.  So is pie filling.   You can also use pie irons for egg in a basket or plain fried eggs.  Search online for recipes that appeal to you. These range from simple grilled cheese to gourmet meals.   If you are purchasing pie irons, get cast iron.   (Be sure to season them at home before first use.)

You could also try Dutch oven meals.  Again you want cast iron.  

Prep your ingredients at home to save time and waste. Pre-cook and freeze meats, stews, pasta, and rice.  You can also use frozen vegetables including frozen fries or hashbrowns.  These will help keep other foods cold.   If you will be using the same ingredient for several meals consider packing those ingredients in meal-sized portions.  

Take two or three clean basins or buckets for dishwashing.  One to wash, one or two for rinses. If you want hot water, you will need a pot or pan to heat it in.  An inexpensive aluminum pot is fine so long as handles are metal.  Remember not to wash or rinse cast iron cookware. 

Do not store food in your tent.  Keep it in coolers and sealed totes.  Lock these in your car when you are away from your campsite and at night.   Take trash, especailly any containing food waste, to the dumpster before going into your tent for the night.   You do not want to attract skunks, racoons, or larger wildlife.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Ok, thanks to Walmart I now have a stove, propane, and a kettle. I'm pretty sure I have cast iron, and I already had forks for smores, etc. I'm seriously in business now!!!

Now I need to figure out how the mattresses inflate. I've done camping with thin self-inflating mats, and I'm done with that. I've got a couple twin air mattresses, so I just need to figure out if the pump uses batteries.

I bought an inflating tool that plugs into my vehicle.  My boys don't use self-inflating mattresses at all--just a camping pad, but I am old and rocks are hard.  The last time I slept with just a pad we ended up on a sheet of limestone for our assigned campground and I woke up with bruises down my torso. 

• Like 1

We only camp once/year, so have never invested in a camp stove -- it's over-the-fire only for us!  ha, We've had some delicious meals, and some disasters!!  Actually, I've invested in one camp cooking item:  a $10 over-the-fire coffee maker, because I can't live without my coffee.  I bring two types of cookware:  a sauce pan with a lid, and a pan we can use for grilling.  Also, bring lighter fluid and extra paper to help get the fire started, and coals too if you can use them.  Breakfast is usually eggs and/or pancakes.  Or sometimes we make oatmeal in the saucepan.  You can stick it right into the low heat area of the fire, or above coals.  It can cook slowly for a long time and turns out delicious.  Fresh strawberries and honey to sprinkle on top is yummy.

You can also bring zip lock bags and add omelet ingredients to each one:  a couple of eggs, some grated cheese, etc., and throw the whole thing into a pan of boiling water until the egg is cooked.  (Grease the insides of the bags first with a little olive oil.)

Lunch is non-cook items:  sandwiches, etc.

Dinner is usually foil pockets of chopped meat and veggies that we throw into the edge of the fire.   (I've found that chopped beef/hamburger patties/sausage cooks best -- we've had chicken that has actually turned to charcoal and practically disappeared while the veggies are perfect!)

Bring a bar of soap to coat the outside of your pans with.  Just rub it all over it.  So when the pans come out black from cooking in flames, they'll still wash clean once you bring them home and scrub them.

Bring a zip lock bag of bar soap for washing up (for people), some washcloths, extra towels.  (Extra towels always come in handy.)  A table cloth for the picnic table with those clips to keep it from blowing away are nice.  A battery operated lamp if you're sitting around the table at night, or inside your tents.  A flashlight.  Bug spray if you have bugs.

I don't like to use paper plates/cups, but will often use them for camping -- but still bring regular silverware and glass mugs for hot chocolate/coffee.  Bring dish soap for washing dishes (you can just wash them at the nearby pump or shared faucet), and a sharp knife.

Bring a good pillow and enough extra blankets to stay warm!

• Thanks 1

You may find it helpful to have a packing list, organized by category, something like this:

Shelter
-tent
- tarp (for under the tent, make sure nothing is sticking out, or you can get a puddle under the tent)
- mallet or hammer or something to pound the tent stakes in
-  nice to have - a little broom/dustpan - tents seem to get tons of dust and sand
Kitchen
- stove with gas canister
- cooking pans/utensils
- eating dishes, utensils
- trash bags
- some way to wash dishes like a dish pan, dishwashing liquid, dish towel
Food (organized by day)
- cooler with reusable ice packs or ice (if food is perishable)
- day 1 lunch (sandwich bread, peanut butter... - whatever you like)
- day 1 dinner (the meal you are planning)
- day 1 snacks (trail mix, granola bars, etc. that you like)
- day 2 breakfast (eggs, cereal, bagels, whatever the plan is - remember any tea/coffee/hot chocolate/sugar/salt/ketchup, etc.)
- day 2 lunch and so on
Water
- either water container to fill on site or enough water for drinking, brushing teeth, dishes, etc.
Light
- headlamps/flash lights for each person plus at least one lantern with extra batteries as needed
Safety
- first aid kit
- bug spray
- sun screen
- tick removal tool if it's an issue in your area
- prescription meds
- over the counter meds like Tylenol or whatnot if not in first aid kit
Bedding
- sleeping bags
- blow up mattress/sleeping pad as needed with any tools needed to blow them up
- pillows
Sanitation/Showers
- toiletries
- towels
- shower shoes (flip flops - yikes, you don't want to stand on that floor barefoot!)
Clothes and Shoes
- remember sun hats or caps
- whatever clothes you need for the time you will be out

Nice to have

- some kind of camping chair, although the picnic table may be enough
- some way to hang up towels like a camping clothes line, but can do without usually

Edited by RosemaryAndThyme
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wendyroo said:

These are great ideas, thanks. I hope to go camping a bit this fall and need some quick food items. 

• Like 2

broom, doormat for tent.  camp stool next to the door, and no shoes in the tent (will help it stay cleaner.)

use the bear box (if they have them.)  they're serious when they say bears will break into your car if they smell something they want.  even if it's just lotion.

a roll of plastic garbage bags.

multiple flashlights, multiple lanterns (there are led ones now that put out a lot of light, and dont' require white gas.)

good, long, roasting sticks.  we use a fish basket lined with foil for graham crackers to warm with the chocolate, so when we put the roasted marshmallow on top, the chocolate is already melted.  - LOTS of paper towels/wet wipes. a proper s'more is messy and sticky.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, J-rap said:

bring lighter fluid and extra paper to help get the fire started,

That would be smart! I've had enough failures to know i'm not very good at this!

50 minutes ago, J-rap said:

Bring a bar of soap to coat the outside of your pans with.  Just rub it all over it.  So when the pans come out black from cooking in flames, they'll still wash clean once you bring them home and scrub them.

Great tip!

3 hours ago, RosemaryAndThyme said:

have a packing list, organized by category, something like this:

Thanks, you caught some things I missed!

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

Just curious, when there is a fire ban or it's raining, then what do you do? Eat cold? 

Ha --good question!  Well we don't camp a lot and we camp fairly close to home, so I guess I make sure it's in an area where there's no fire ban (not common in our area) and when it's not supposed to rain.  The one time I do remember it raining,  we were able to quickly make breakfast before it got bad, and we drove into the nearest town for dinner at a little diner.   We're not big-time campers, so it's usually more spur-of-the-moment over a long weekend -- not a whole vacation depending on it.

We do winter "cabin-ing" too -- staying in those very basic camper cabins, which includes bunks with mattresses and a table.  (Bring your own sleeping bags, etc.)  They have electric heat and are cozy in the winter, but the nearby outhouses aren't heated and there's no running water.  In 20 below 0 weather it takes some planning to figure everything out, but it's fun.  For those times, I bring a slow cooker and we prepare everything in there (from oatmeal to soup to stews). 

First read something by Patrick McManus on camping with your Ds so you can get into the right frame of mind.  

Fruit, Caesar salad, sure, sounds good.

but also try for something he can “cook” on a stick over a real fire, if real fire cooking is legal where/when you’re going.

If not a hotdog maybe precooked meat pieces and veggies on a skewer...  for the traditional camping idea  , a little bit burnt,  falling in dirt, it’s all part of “camping”  

I’d recommend you consider an investment in a comfortable air mattress so you can sleep without being in pain for the next month

23 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

For state parks, you cannot gather wood there. You need to bring wood in. Sometimes you can purchase kindling at the ranger station.

Not true in my state. Actually the exact opposite. Because of the emerald ash borer, NO outside firewood is allowed in our state parks. We are free to pick up any downed wood for fires and can buy wood at the park. Many of our parks even have split, stacked cordwood, from their fallen trees, available.

Check your state's rules and those for your particular park!

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Not true in my state. Actually the exact opposite. Because of the emerald ash borer, NO outside firewood is allowed in our state parks. We are free to pick up any downed wood for fires and can but wood at the park. Many of our parks even have split, stacked cordwood, from their fallen trees, available.

Check your state's rules and thise for your particular park!

Same in my state. Don't move firewood into the park from elsewhere, because of emerald ash borer.

• Like 2

In our area, wood transporting is restricted because of the spotted lanternfly. Because of the number of different invasive species all over the place, it’s just never a very good idea to move wood to another place.  It seems like most camping places are split between allowing on-site gathering and providing wood for sale. (Or doing both.). Just know before you go, because buying firewood can add up quickly.

• Like 1

Food - Chili, chx pot pie, or other already made stew that just needs to be heated is one of our go-to camp meals. Hot dogs don't have to be yucky. Buy good sausages!  Skillet meals are good too. Precooked meat and parboiled potatoes, add onion and peppers, then sprinkle with cheese when it's done.  Add in eggs and it's breakfast. Or use Italian sausage, pasta, and add tomatoes. Use chorizo or fajita/taco meat and top with salsa for mexican. We do eggs or hot cereal for breakfast. Sandwiches for lunch. Coffee is a must for us and we generally use a pour over, but many here swear by their french press for coffee in the woods. 

We keep all our kitchen gear in a rubbermaid tote, other camping stuff in another one, and bug spray in it's own container. I always take plastic dishpans for washing up. We use three - suds (Camp Suds or other biodegradable soap) for scrubbing , plain hot water for rinse and sanitizing water in the third (1 teaspoon/gallon or you can get tablets at REI). 

We have found that DEET is not particulary effective as tick repellent, but picaridin is. Ymmv. 

Dh and I are over 50 and prefer cots to air matresses, by a long, long way for car camping. They don't pop or deflate, and you can store gear underneath them. I actually like hammocks too, with appropriate bug netting and/or a tarp/rain fly. 

In fall and spring, when it can be quite cold here overnight, I like rain boots for early in the morning when everything is wet. Then my keens or sneakers are not wet and my feet are warm and dry when it's time hike or whatever. 

I also like a book light rather than a headlamp or lantern for reading before bed. 

Don't forget a roll of TP and basic first aid kit. Murphy loves camping trips!