Menu

What to make with squash/zucchini that requires...no tools?

madteaparty

I’m living in a furnished apartment that’s not mine and managed to join some version of a CSA (long stories both), and I’m the beneficiary of three summer squash/zucchini things. I make all sorts of things (winner is a goat cheese gratin—which I may still make), but they all require a food processor or mandolin. I have no such things. What can I make with these?

oh and fennel. What does one make with that? 

Dice them up and roast in the oven. 

Halve lengthwise, scoop out insides and then make baked stuffed zucchini with whatever fillings you like.

Slice, coat in the flour, egg, breadcrumb thing and make zucchini parm. 

Saute with yummy herbs and garlic. 

Zucchini fries!

• Like 1

I chop mine up fine and add into chili,  tacos, spaghetti, soups, etc.  I chop up a bunch along with an onion or two and freeze what is left. into bags. Then I take out one bag, saute for a few minutes, and add to whatever dish I am making. 

People who like squash/zuc might do differently, but I have kids who think they don't like it, so I have to get creative. 

• Like 1

Grate the squash, make latkes in the usual way.

Chop them into slices, pan-fry or roast them until fairly crispy, add salt, pepper, and garlic.

Chop or grate the squash, toss it into chili or tomato sauce.

As for the fennel, you can chop it and use it in tomato sauce like you would celery. You can slice it thin with that squash and make a salad, I'd add scallions. You can roast it in the oven - quartered! - and drizzle some Balsamic vinegar over.  You can roast it with potatoes and tangerines, but I suggest starting the potatoes first and then adding the fennel and tangerines. A little rosemary with that goes a long way.

• Like 1

Do you have an old-fashioned grater?  One of my favorite ways of using up zucchini is by grating it (large hole grating), frying it + some grated onion in a bit of butter, and then adding grated cheddar cheese, salt and pepper.  My kids loved it too!

• Like 2

At first the question confused me because I'm like, nothing. I guess you could eat it raw or roast it whole, but that would just turn it into a gooey mess.

Assuming "normal" kitchen tools. I'll second the ratatouille. There's a Cook's Illustrated cheaters roasted ratatouille that's really good and easy. You can also grate it and mix it with an egg, some seasoning, and some bread crumbs and then make fritters. Yummy. Good with a tomato based sauce of your choice.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, madteaparty said:

I’m living in a furnished apartment that’s not mine and managed to join some version of a CSA (long stories both), and I’m the beneficiary of three summer squash/zucchini things. I make all sorts of things (winner is a goat cheese gratin—which I may still make), but they all require a food processor or mandolin. I have no such things. What can I make with these?

oh and fennel. What does one make with that? 

I cut those into sticks and eat raw. Maybe with ranch dressing to dip into.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J-rap said:

Do you have an old-fashioned grater?  One of my favorite ways of using up zucchini is by grating it (large hole grating), frying it + some grated onion in a bit of butter, and then adding grated cheddar cheese, salt and pepper.  My kids loved it too!

I don’t have a grater which is driving me bonkers but one will be procured this week as the situation is untenable.

i found a quinoa gratin type recipe on the NYTimes cooking ap, which recipe has the advantage of being a full meal too. I will also use some of the recipes on this thread bc it’s a lot of squash...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Can you share your goat cheese gratin recipe?  I love goat cheese anything.

For fennel, I like to cut it up, drizzle with olive oil and roast with carrots and shallots.

I also think fennel pairs well with salmon.  I cut it in small piece, sauté and then pan fry a piece of salmon with fennel seeds and serve it on top.

https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-potato-squash-goat-cheese-gratin-90647

thanks for the fennel tips! I’ve been wanting to make salmon