Menu

Missing that new homeschooler excitement?

I've been homeschooling for 7 years now. It is challenging, but meaningful and rewarding. I get better at it every year and have things down to a pretty good routine. I've found the curriculum that work best for my kids in each subject and each year just buy the next level up. Things are good, but I sort of miss the excitement of reading reviews and downloading samples of dozens of different curriculum and debating which would be THE ONE.  Anyone else feel this way? 

• Like 4

Yep.  12 years here, and I have a good routine.  I still look and see what they're switching out at companies, what's new, what's coming onto the market..and then I usually return to what I've already chosen. 🙂 But it's a more informed feeling and I get to know more about different approaches.

This is the time when I also re-energize with podcasts and books for myself. 

• Like 2

I’m trying to talk myself into/out of buying a music curriculum. I do have two students who could use it, but honestly, it would cost as much to buy it as I would make from their lessons in 6 months. I think it has more to do with that I want something to work with.

• Like 2

Yes, totally understand.  I'm down to kids #3 & 4, both in high school.  I already know what options there are for curriculum and for the most part will use things that the older brothers already used.  So looking for new curriculum isn't much of a thing.  And I no longer need to spend too much time thinking about routines or educational philosophies.

However, I do enjoy learning new things with them and reading good books with them.  Since I'm down to two students, I actually have more time to focus on each of them and absorb some of what they're learning rather than just trying to stay on top of managing everything.  So I can totally appreciate that part of where we're at!

• Like 2

I don't miss being a new homeschooler at all. I enjoy having 100% confidence in what we are doing vs 2nd guessing.  We can do whatever I want and enjoy it without doubting.

I do have to keep our homeschool interesting, though. I find excitement in designing new courses with my kids and allowing their interests to drive eh at we do. Watching them want to learn new things is exciting.

• Like 2

Me too, although planning this year has been a little more exciting. DD's going into 7th grade, so it's finally time to try some curricula that wasn't as accessible to her in the younger grades. I want to beef up her studies a little more this year. Get her moving toward high school. Hopefully, I don't get us in over our heads. We always start strong, but our enthusiasm usually fizzles by Christmas. 

• Like 1

Take up a hobby. It's just boredom. Homeschooling alone is not enough intellectual stimulation after a point. That's when I started taking classes on photography. Then I had my round 2 dc and a whole new set of things to learn, so I don't have time for that. But yeah, you just need to find something new to learn because homeschooling is no longer novel.

There's burnout and fatigue and slumps, but it sounds like you're more just bored. You could start working on another degree for what you want to do when you retire from homeschooling. That's the next thing most people do. I started looking when my dd was at that point and then got my surprise with ds, haha. I know it's coming, so in a few years I'll start doing it again. 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 4

On 5/29/2019 at 3:55 PM, PeterPan said:

Take up a hobby. It's just boredom. Homeschooling alone is not enough intellectual stimulation after a point. That's when I started taking classes on photography. Then I had my round 2 dc and a whole new set of things to learn, so I don't have time for that. But yeah, you just need to find something new to learn because homeschooling is no longer novel.

There's burnout and fatigue and slumps, but it sounds like you're more just bored. You could start working on another degree for what you want to do when you retire from homeschooling. That's the next thing most people do. I started looking when my dd was at that point and then got my surprise with ds, haha. I know it's coming, so in a few years I'll start doing it again. 

I second this. Four years ago, I moved to a Charlotte Mason style. Three years ago, I found the curriculum that fit our family. I tweak, but nothing like before when I was doing everything from scratch. I really enjoyed looking at curriculum, but I no longer have the need.

Since then, I've worked as a translator, joined a German language book club, lost 30 lbs, and learned a lot of Hebrew. I've read real books with my kids and talked about them, and continue to do so, but that didn't give me enough of a long-term goal to work towards in the way compiling curriculum did earlier. These other hobbies have been life-giving to the point that my husband has really encouraged me to continue them, even when I felt like I might be spending too much time on them.

Emily

• Like 5

On 5/29/2019 at 7:55 AM, PeterPan said:

Agreed.  My boredom with homeschooling morphed into a mid-life crisis of sorts.  I almost posted a thread about it in the chat forum!  I have no idea what I want to do with the rest of my life.  I'm not depressed, just totally bored and over homeschooling, lol.  We're about to start year 6. 

• Like 3

It's year 14 for me, and my 4 dc are all in their teens.  A few things have added into my life to enhance my "home educator career":

- explore the free on-line Coursera options and create a small "co-op" of friends to do a course together. The dc sit and watch the videos, while the moms go for a walk and talk. Then the dc play together. Social and intellectual time for dc and moms! We're on a second physics course so far.

- take an evening course for yourself at a local college to update your professional skills. The process of going back to school allowed me to navigate through the application process and on-line student tools so that I could help talk my dd through this when she was ready to start post-secondary studies.

- get a part-time job. It's intellectually stimulating, not too demanding time-wise, and opens up new channels of networking for myself and my dc for future jobs and social opportunities.

- get physically active on own or with the dc. Learn a sport or physical activity together, like tennis, martial arts, cycling, paddling, etc. The physical activity is beneficial for the whole family now and lays down positive behavioural patterns for the future.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

To survive homeschooling long-term takes the ability to make homeschooling a lifestyle but not your life. It is a fine line between homeschooling being similar to a full-time job and yet not bc it is really is way of life. But, at the same time, if it becomes your "life" and you lose focus on other normal fulfilling parts of your life, you'll likely end up resenting it and your family will suffer for it.

I have never experienced being over homeschooling in my 25 yrs of doing this bc I find homeschooling a fulfilling part of my life. I love being with my kids all day and watching them learn. But, we don't do school at home. We don't do co-ops or allow our homeschool to be dictated by outside sources. We do us and thrive in a certain lifestyle.

But, I have learned to not be just teacher or mom or wife. I am all those but me incorporates all that and more.  I think that is what it takes to do this happily yr after yr vs doing it bc you feel like you have no options and are trapped into it.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, MissLemon said:

Agreed.  My boredom with homeschooling morphed into a mid-life crisis of sorts.  I almost posted a thread about it in the chat forum!  I have no idea what I want to do with the rest of my life.  I'm not depressed, just totally bored and over homeschooling, lol.  We're about to start year 6. 

Well it seems like most people either take up an engaging hobby or go back to grad school to morph themselves. You can think about whether you'd like to monetize the skills you've gained by homeschooling or go a totally different direction like nursing.

For me, I don't know. I may go back to grad school and get a degree to continue doing officially the type of work I've done with my ds, or I may just do charity work. Or maybe I'll become a travel agent and cruise and do Disney a lot. :biggrin:

If you're interested in the photography, check out Clickinmoms. It's at least a way to kill a little time while you think through what you want to do longer term.

• Like 1

@PeterPan I am kicking around the idea of becoming an Ultrasound tech.  Short training time, high pay, good projected need for techs.  I was a vet tech for a long time, so I'm used to talking to people about health related matters.  I still have time to think it over. 

DH and I are also talking about moving out of this area in a year or two.  He's a little frustrated with his employer, I'm a little frustrated with the lack of opportunities for teens (and adults!) around here.  It's been a nice place for DS10 as a young kid, but I'm having a hard time finding opportunities for him now that he's hitting the tween years.  There are opportunities in other towns, but those all require 60+ minutes of driving each way.    

I've got some hobbies I enjoy: I crochet, I needlepoint, I have been working on a genealogy project with my aunt via email.  I have a small, online business.  I keep busy.    

So, we've got some thinking to do about where the family is headed.  Like I said, there's nothing exactly wrong and none of us are depressed or upset.  We've all got kind of a sense that this chapter of life is soon to end, and it's time to think about where we'd like to go next.   

• Like 2

So things got crazy here after I posted, so I apolgize for taking so long to respond. THANK YOU!! You guys nailed it on the head!!  Like Peterpan said, it is no longer novel. I need a new challenge. Some Charlotte Mason Mother Culture? Taking a college class?! I have some contemplating to do!

I honestly think part of the reason I love homeschooling is because it has been so intellectually stimulating. Now may be the time for me to find additional growth opportunities. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 6:16 PM, 8FillTheHeart said:

I don't miss being a new homeschooler at all. I enjoy having 100% confidence in what we are doing vs 2nd guessing.  We can do whatever I want and enjoy it without doubting.

I do have to keep our homeschool interesting, though. I find excitement in designing new courses with my kids and allowing their interests to drive eh at we do. Watching them want to learn new things is exciting.

I’d love some ideas on how to do this! OP, not trying to take over your thread, but I’d be all ears for anyone’s suggestions. 

My kids all have summer birthdays and will be just turned 9, 11, and 14.  I especially feel like I did much more ‘fun’ planning when my oldest was the youngest’s age. (Ahem...that aforementioned excitement). What can I do to add that ‘interesting’ element back? TY!

ETA: maybe I should start a new thread???

Edited by mmasc

I get bored too.  I'm on year 12 with 11 more to go!  So, I change things like history and science each year.  And read alouds.  I am the one who needs to keep it fresh.  

I am planning a human body schedule for ds11, making my own Ancient History schedule inspired by other schedules, planning dd14's electives for freshman year.  Tweeking some stuff I didn't love the first(or 5th!) time through.  That makes me happy and keeps me busy all summer.

I do work part time for a break(7-9 hours a week) and I have 2 highschoolers and a college graduate who love to discuss hard things that keep me on my toes.:)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mmasc said:

I’d love some ideas on how to do this! OP, not trying to take over your thread, but I’d be all ears for anyone’s suggestions. 

My kids all have summer birthdays and will be just turned 9, 11, and 14.  I especially feel like I did much more ‘fun’ planning when my oldest was the youngest’s age. (Ahem...that aforementioned excitement). What can I do to add that ‘interesting’ element back? TY!

ETA: maybe I should start a new thread???

My kids and I design their courses together.  My kids' transcripts have not resembled each other's at all. Each of them takes unique courses.  I talk to them about what they want to learn and that is what we do, even in high school.  It isn't just "fun" planning.  I am talking about core academic courses.  I would be bored out of my mind if I had had to go through the same courses over and over again, yr after yr.  Bc we take the unique courses approach, I get to learn new things and when some things overlap, I tend to take a slightly different approach and follow different rabbit trails that broaden my understanding/exposure.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

My kids and I design their courses together.  My kids' transcripts have not resembled each other's at all. Each of them takes unique courses.  I talk to them about what they want to learn and that is what we do, even in high school.  It isn't just "fun" planning.  I am talking about core academic courses.  I would be bored out of my mind if I had had to go through the same courses over and over again, yr after yr.  Bc we take the unique courses approach, I get to learn new things and when some things overlap, I tend to take a slightly different approach and follow different rabbit trails that broaden my understanding/exposure.  

Can you give an example at the hs level? I think I can add things for my younger ones, but how do you do that with your hs kids? 

My Dd studied French history in French, took a history course focusing on communism in the 20th century, spent a semester on War and Peace, etc. Ds took 3 years of astronomy courses alongside the more traditional science sequence, took a lit class designed around the movie Inception and literature based on perception, a course focused on CS Lewis, Chesterton, and Tolkien, etc.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Thanks 1

On 6/3/2019 at 4:02 AM, NewIma said:

I honestly think part of the reason I love homeschooling is because it has been so intellectually stimulating. Now may be the time for me to find additional growth opportunities. 

My DS14 keeps me on my toes mentally as he wants rigor and I don’t want his high school GPA being overly jeopardize so it is a challenging balancing act finding stuff for him. He is into J-pop and K-pop so my vocabulary is getting enrich by random Japanese and Korean words that are not food related 😉

I am going to take a certificate course on independent education consulting to help my kids and for future volunteer work. If this leads to a fulfilling self employment job, that would be a bonus. My husband agrees with me that it’s okay to spend that course fees even if I do not get any monetary rewards for taking the course. I have intended to go back into intensive volunteer work when my youngest enters public kindergarten in 2011 but we ended up schooling at home with a public charter and then homeschooling. So now that full time volunteering dream has been pushed to 2023.