Menu

Girls' Weekend Movie Suggestions?!

easypeasy

DD & I have a girls' weekend coming up soon and we want a few movies to binge watch while the guys are gone! I have a few ideas, but wanted to ask here because I know there are great movies I'm forgetting about. (She's a senior in high school, so anything goes, so long as it's worth watching!)

We first planned to go to the movies and watch Us... but then realized we'd both be too freaked out to sleep. So. Nothing creepy because we're big chickens. 🙃

I don't know if it's still on Netflix, but Arranged is one of our favorites. It's about two young women, one Muslim and one Orthodox Jewish, who are teachers at the same school. They are both in the middle of the process in their cultures (in America--I think Brooklyn) of arranged marriage. So their families are having them meet young men. They find they have a lot in common. It's a funny and sweet movie. My daughter and I really, really liked it. 

If you're Jane Austen fans, Netflix has a movie called The Jane Austen Book Club that I recently watched and enjoyed. It's a fluffy-ish romantic comedy (with some serious matters: infidelity, etc).

Not one of the "greats" but a maybe a good light movie for between more heavy ones. 

• Like 1

light/humorous
The Princess Bride (1987) 
Enchanted April (1991) -- humor / relationships
Cold Comfort Farm (1995)
Galaxy Quest (1999)
Miss Congeniality (2000) -- action/humor
Austenland (2013) -- humorous spin on Jane Austen

Austen/Bronte/Shakespeare
Persuasion (1994)

Sense and Sensibility (1995) -- or the TV mini series (2008)
Emma (1996)

Pride and Prejudice (2005)
Northanger Abbey (2007 -- TV movie)
Becoming Jane (2007)
Jane Eyre (2011)
Much Ado About Nothing (1993 --or-- 2012 film version)

relationship / dramedy
Only You (1994) -- with humor
Dear Frankie (2004)

Millions (2004)
Stranger Than Fiction (2006) -- quirky; with humor
Lars and the Real Girl (2007) -- quirky; with humor
Queen of Katwe (2016) -- inspiring
Paterson (2016) -- lovely; like watching poetry

discussion-provoking
Gattaca (1997)
The Truman Show (1998)
Millions (2004)
Stranger Than Fiction (2006)

action/adventure
Labyrinth (1986) 
The Princess Bride (1987) -- with humor

Galaxy Quest (1999) -- with humor
Flawless (2007) -- heist
Get Smart (2008) -- with humor
Man from U.N.C.L.E. (2015) -- with humor
Logan Lucky (2017) -- heist, with humor

fairy tale
The Secret Garden (1993)
Ever After: A Cinderella Story (1998)
The Princess Diaries (2001)
Ella Enchanted (2004)
Enchanted (2007)

classic Hollywood musicals
Singin' in the Rain (1952)
The King and I (1956)
West Side Story (1961)
My Fair Lady (1964)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, sassenach said:

About Time- seriously one of my all time favs. It's funny, it's sweet, it's heartwarming. Our whole family adores it.

OH, I just saw this on TV last week. It was wonderful! It does have sex in it (so funny--here, they edit everything so there's no kissing or bed scenes---even Sleeping Beauty has the kiss edited out!). But it makes this really good point about life and living as though this is the only chance we have to live our life--which is a truth for all of us, isn't it? 

I LOVE this movie; 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sassenach said:

About Time- seriously one of my all time favs. It's funny, it's sweet, it's heartwarming. Our whole family adores it.

The only one I could find with this name was rated R. Is that the one you are referring to? 

4 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

OH, I just saw this on TV last week. It was wonderful! It does have sex in it (so funny--here, they edit everything so there's no kissing or bed scenes---even Sleeping Beauty has the kiss edited out!). But it makes this really good point about life and living as though this is the only chance we have to live our life--which is a truth for all of us, isn't it? 

I LOVE this movie; 

Could you guys link to this?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JIN MOUSA said:

For an entire weekend, you can't beat the 6-hour BBC version of Pride and Prejudice. Bonus points if you get some British tea and snacks. 

Then take a little break and follow it up with BBC North and South (2004, 4 hours).  I'd like to add a special shout out for the Timothy Dalton version of Jane Eyre (1983, also 4 hours).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cecropia said:

Then take a little break and follow it up with BBC North and South (2004, 4 hours).  I'd like to add a special shout out for the Timothy Dalton version of Jane Eyre (1983, also 4 hours).

Yes to Timothy Dalton!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RootAnn said:

The only one I could find with this name was rated R. Is that the one you are referring to? 

Could you guys link to this?

I thought it was PG13, but it appears to be R. It's sooooo mild for an R rated movie. I think it's because there is one scene where they're in a kate moss art display and in the background is a topless pic of her. The "sex" scene involves absolutely no actual sex/nudity and is played way more for comedy. There's one scene where a character is seen topless from behind (so a bare back shot). So I guess it's totally family specific but we had no problem with our young teens seeing this. I think we did a cover your eyes warning when we got to the kate moss part, but that's it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

I LOVE this movie; 

What you saw was probably extremely close to the full scene. There's not an actual sex scene in the movie.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

I LOVE this movie; 

19 hours ago, sassenach said:

YES!  About time!

We saw this a few weeks ago and it might be my favorite movie of all time.  I don't rewatch movies and I have now watched it twice.  It is just so sweet, funny, real, and yet thought provoking.

It is rare that we let our teens watch R movies but they watched this one.  In my opinion, it is very mild.  

I love that this movie doesn't stop at marriage, it takes the concept of love and family beyond the wedding day and into real life.  I love that family is close and important while also being flawed.  

Another that my girls watched recently and really liked was Brooklyn.

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 1