Menu

Do you use totally different curriculum (or style) for different children?

I'm kind of finding that I'm in this boat, and ouch-it's hurting financially!

My son is very much a "get er done" all business kind of kid. He detests "fluff" and just wants black and white pages that he can systematically work through. He's a box checker to the max. MP works well for him.

My next daughter, however, loves the fluff and color. She likes distance videos with a storyline. She hates CLE math (which my son loves), and basically anything that's not colorful and fun. 

Which leaves me with a 2nd grade box of beautiful Memoria Press guides that she doesn't want to use! So my question is, at what point do you just make them do it because after all, it's what you think is best, OR do you really kind of cater your curriculum to the styles/tastes of each child?

Edited by Meadowlark

Only the same religion and math books have been used across my kids, but whether or not math has been taught the same way is debatable. Since we don't use textbooks, everything else has been different from child to child. My kids are all very different from each other and have academically at much different places at different ages/paces.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meadowlark said:

I'm kind of finding that I'm in this boat, and ouch-it's hurting financially!

So my question is, at what point do you just make them do it because after all, it's what you think is best, OR do you really kind of cater your curriculum to the styles/tastes of each child?

Their ENTIRE K-5 curriculum was chosen based on me, my abilities and needs as an instructor. I didn't give them options and I honestly don't think it even occurred to them that they might have a say in the matter (but they didn't, so it was just as well).

From their perspective, school books just appeared and we'd just do them.
The materials are picked based on ME, but I design and deliver the lessons around THEM.

• Like 8

We have a simple, straight forward program in elementary school though that is centered upon mastery of the 3Rs, to the point of over learning.

I used K-8 math curriculum that was PDF so that I could print a copy for both of The Boys, and reprint if/when I needed. I don't use digital Edutainment but we used or made up rhymes and motions to help them memorize certain things. They read/recite certain things in chorus or to a tune. We draw pictures that encode certain information in them, etc. We use charts for progress/rewards etc.

The lesson/instruction period is lively and dynamic when I teach, and I work hard at engaging them at high levels, but you'd better believe those binders/worksheets are as BW as they can be. I wasn't about to spend a fortune printing it in color.

We use white boards a lot, and I teach at a white board and I color code my writing so we do have color injected in our lessons, and as we went through material I jazzed things up by letting them use color on BW papers: When their math was all correct, they could trace over their answers in color (sneaky way to have them review/redo their work), and/or use the backs of the pages as drawing paper.

I have them make charts/posters for skills/theorems/concepts as they learn them.
They can decorate as much or as little as they want--so long as the end result is legible and usable.

When doing chapters for a skill that they were  already good at, they could do that page in colored pencil/crayon because it was understood that they'd get very few wrong.
If a boy missed more than 5% of the work, he'd have to practice that skill in pencil for a while until I felt that he was ready to use colored pencil again. (Sneaky way of getting them to pay ATTENTION, the first time around.) Finally, when doing math exercises that is just mastery maintenance, they can do their work in various color gel pens, but the work must be legible.

After they "master" a level of mathematics, I make them create a "Hand book" and they can go all out on it as they do: illustrating, color-coordinating, highlighting, creating or using mnemonics, etc. My only rule is that the end result must be perfectly legible. When they "teach" that course, we use their hand-book so we discover if it's well made or not. As they "teach" the course, they make any adjustments needed to their handbook and when it's complete, they get to make it into a "real book" if they want.

(I don't give written final exams. To "pass" a math course in our homeschool, you have teach a short course in the subject to me over a few days so they have to be able to explain and demonstrate any and every skill and explain any concept).

Additional ways of adding "color" to things is using themed notebooks or folders to store their work for a specific subject, using stickers on worksheets, themed coloring or activity pages etc.

Reading was equally bare bones. I taught them to read directly, and required that they read every day.
We use the library. They read books. They read aloud, they read quietly. They co-read books and they sometimes "perform" book--taking out 2 copies and reading it in a dramatization with voices, etc. They have to write "trouble" words they come across in their reading and may color to code the word by syllables, vowels, etc.

They have to research 1 topic each week, and they read several books on it and they create display boards (we use magnetic white boards) and note cards. They may decorate the boards as much as they want, so long as it's legible.

I will advise you against purchasing curriculum that is a strain--financially, pedagogically, emotionally, etc. It simply isn't worth it.

I keep school focused on learning and I leave them plenty of time to play and have games in their day. They may pursue "fluff" and make things fun on their own time, if they wish.

• Like 4

Two DSs here, who needed radically different materials for Math and LA. I speak from the experience of having an extremely strong-willed "wild child" with mild LDs and who hated anything having to do with academics / school / formal learning in any way -- so forcing particular materials  was NOT the battle to fight that was in his best interest in the long run, IMO. Switching materials until we found what worked for him AND what he could tolerate meant learning could actually take place, and we saved the head-butting for issues where it counted.

As a side note: I also found that using different materials made ME a much better teacher, as I was seeing subjects (esp. things like Math and Writing) from more than one angle, and it was much easier for me to problem-solve and come up with new approaches and "go off script" of a program, as needed.

In regards to your specific situation, OP:

The 3Rs is where I *would* make sure to match up with how a student best takes in information. The last thing you want to do is kill a budding interest (or even kill just a "tolerance") for Math or LA by forcing a child to use what you used with a previous child just to save money. JMO, but spending the $$ to switch to a different program that clicks better for the child helps prevent the child from starting to actively hate Math... and then by extension, hate school... is money well spent.

And there are ways to add more color: a colorful Phonics workbook in place of B&W, and some stickers and colored markers for using with Spelling are not expensive. For Reading, stepped readers with colorful illustrations can be checked out at the library. Perhaps get Draw-Write-Now for Writing (just the first book or two) -- or get lined paper that is blank at the top half for drawing pictures with colored pencils/markers/crayons when finished with the Copywork or Writing on the lines below -- again, not too expensive.

For things like History, Science, etc., for such a young student, no, I would not invest in an expensive switch. It's easy enough to supplement with free resources to slightly tweak what you already have to make it more of a fit for a different student:
- library books
- educational videos and computer CDs / games
- youtube, brain pop, and other learning channel videos
- download/print coloring/learning pages
- ideas/instructions for hands-on activities to go with your studies
- etc.

For History videos with a storyline, check out Nest Family videos (biographies of famous people), Liberty's Kids, and Time Warp Trio cartoons. For Science videos with a storyline, check out Magic School Bus, Kratt's Creatures or Wild Kratts Sid the Science Kid, etc. Most of these can be found for free at the library or streaming online.

And as a monetary consolation: from your signature, it looks like you'll have more opportunities to use the MP materials with a later child. 🙂

BEST of luck, whatever you decide. Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

I can’t get my head around the logistics of lots of different curriculums and don’t have the finances.  I do try to modify how we use them.  I find with every curriculum done there’s been a learning curve for me so switching is inefficient.  That said over the last few years I have bought a few bundles from build your bundle and stuff like that which has given us more options without spending a heap but they aren’t always such good quality.

• Like 2

The only thing I tailor to the needs of my dc is math. However, I have only one dd who has needed a different math program in elementary, the others used the same math program. I could have posted what Gil did...I don't think my dc even thought/knew about alternatives to what I use. I've not had an issue with things being too colorful or not colorful enough, hands-on vs. workbooks, etc. If there is a learning disability issue I would tailor things a bit more, but as it is I school the way I meal prep: Here it is, eat it.

It's worked so far...fingers crossed this continues because it sure is easier for me! Good grief, I can't imagine doing 7-9 different programs. I may own enough to do that many (lol) but couldn't juggle that many at one time.

I would modify the resources already purchased.  Add some color and fluff.  Let her do her seatwork in colored pencil or sparkly pen. If  stickers or stamps are her thing, use them to embellsih workbook  pages.  For some lessons, substitute hands-on projects for workbook pages.  This could be as simple as having her write and illustrate booklets containing the same information as the workbook pages.  Have her do some work orally.  Be sure there is some art or other creative activity built into her schoolday.   

The next time I purchased materials, however, I would make some changes.  Maybe CLE is the best math for your family, but you are okay with her doing a different copywork book.  In that case, find a colorful copywork book.  You don't need to cater to your daughter's every wish, but she also shouldn't have to always use what her next older sibling used, particularly if those resources were selected to be a good fit for him.  Looking at your signature line you have two more daughters, are their tastes similar to your eldest daughter's?  

• Like 2

Also, I think it comes down to ... do you have more time or do you have more money?  It will take time to modify MP to be colorful and fun.  It can be done, but that's a time suck for you.  What do you have more of?  I can tell you that my dd absolutely cannot learn without color (right brain learner needs color, pictures, stories, humor).  The one time we tried MP, it was torture.  YMMV

• Like 1

Yes, unfortunately, I've always had to tailor the curriculum to each kid - and I have 5.  The reason I originally pulled the oldest two out of public school was because they were having massive learning problems.  So, a one-size-fits-all curriculum was never an option.

• Like 2

I've used the same math for both kids and, after trying different things over different years found a grammar/vocab/poetry language arts that both kids like.  During the K-6 years I based older's history and science off of the Core Knowledge series.  i loved it's flexibility - we could talk about the American Revolution using whatever resources I chose.  Over time I assembled a great book collection and we also used the library and documentaries.  I assumed that such a flexible system would work for my 'I don't want to learn' younger, but it was frustrating because kiddo saw everything as negotiable - why read THAT book, why read X pages and not X-2, etc.  To fill a gap while I looked for something different, I ordered some Critical Thinking Company workbooks.  It turns out that their elementary science work books are pretty good - not what I would have chosen, but kiddo doesn't argue with how much to do when it's clearly divided into a page of reading and a page of questions.  Independently done work books were not how I imagined  my 4th grader learning science, but kiddo is happy and learning,  History is still something of a fight, but kiddo will now read SOTW...but not most other books.  We also use some subscription kits at times - tinker crate, history unboxed, etc - because this kiddo happily likes these activities, while older was a 'why waste time on a project when I can just read how it works' kid.  

• Like 1

I am homeschooling my kids with the intent of giving them an individualized education.  Yes, I definitely take learning styles, preferences, and needs into account when I'm purchasing.  Some things we have found just work with all the kids (Hello Saxon Math- I love you!).  Other things I constantly change based on the needs of the kids (language arts- all parts, rarely ever reused).  I set goals for each school year, so if my rising 6th grader needs to focus on reading text and answering questions, that year looks very different from my child who needed to focus on writing paragraphs that stuck to the same topic.  Some years they need grammar, some they need extra writing or reading.  I change is up as they grow.  Some materials are the same, others are different.  Sometiems I just get tired of it 😉  As for science and history, we do those all together, so none of them have ever hit the same topics at the same ages, but I do reuse the books I purchased.  I also look back at my plan from years past, to see which books we borrowed from the library, how we progressed, and note things I want to do differently.  It's taught differently each time we go through it b/c of the kids' ages.  I do pick things with them in mind!  

My vote goes to sell what your DD doesn't want to use, and pick something that speaks to hear.  I tell my kids I choose what they learn, but they can choose how they learn it!  I will always call them in to give them acceptable choices.  

I found a curriculum I like to teach and my kids also mostly like, so I refuse to switch again.    I regret all the curriculum hopping I did over the years.  If they have issues, I'll adjust their workload, try a different approach, or try scheduling it at a different time of day.  There are many things we can do to work around a subject without actually changing the materials. 

I totally get customizing an education to your student--and that is a wonderful thing we can do as homeschoolers.  However, for me, the frequent curriculum changes have caused their own set of problems.  I feel I need to make it the absolute last resort from here on out. 

We actually use Memoria Press too.  Since we've started, we've made several changes.  My middle two hated English Grammar Recitation, so I dropped the copywork portion of the lesson and upped our recitation time.  Problem pretty much solved--It's still not their favorite, but there is far much less complaining.  My 3rd grader hates the math textbook, so I've cut some problems and lengthened the oral drill & flash card part of the lesson.  Sometimes I have her dictate the answers for me to write.   We mostly do the guides orally.  We've done some other tweaks and changes, but what I haven't done is completely switch programs.  I like that MP has been thoroughly tested and adjusted by professional teachers.  After being published, it's been further adjusted to meet the specific needs of homeschoolers.  I keep telling myself, if it's good enough for MP/Highlands Latin School, it's good enough for me.  🤣

18 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I can’t get my head around the logistics of lots of different curriculums and don’t have the finances.  I do try to modify how we use them.  I find with every curriculum done there’s been a learning curve for me so switching is inefficient.  That said over the last few years I have bought a few bundles from build your bundle and stuff like that which has given us more options without spending a heap but they aren’t always such good quality.

This.

My kneejerk response was "how wasteful!  Use them anyway!"  😄 My reality?  It's tailoring to two different kids who have different styles.  We *do* use some of the same books/curriculum, because what I am comfortable with comes into play as well.  But when the youngest balked at MUS and refused to have anything to do with it, I went back to the beginning and started with my old rule of "free first, low cost next, and work up from there."  There are so many free and cheap options out there (and some very good ones) that I don't mind researching them a little more and seeing if any will fit.  If at all possible, I modify what I have first.  There is more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak, and there's more than one way to present and have a child enthusiastic about a lesson.

• Like 3

On 3/26/2019 at 8:29 PM, Lori D. said:

As a side note: I also found that using different materials made ME a much better teacher, as I was seeing subjects (esp. things like Math and Writing) from more than one angle, and it was much easier for me to problem-solve and come up with new approaches and "go off script" of a program, as needed.

This is me. I've used a variety of material for all subjects. It has really taught me how to teach different subjects. For example, in writing, I currently have IEW, WWS, LToW and Bravewriter along with several old free domain books on my google books app. I don't really use any of them completely but they are more of a springboard and reference to help me understand how to approach a certain type of writing I want to work on with my kids. I've bought them used, on homeschool buyers co-op or borrowed from friends. The longer I homeschool the more i realize the biggest difference comes from me, as the teacher or guide, having knowledge in what we are learning. Even my twins are in two different math books. One uses beast academy and the other is using right start. They are so different and one twin is really strong in math. I also try and focus on my goals in each subject with each child rather than worry what a particular book or curriculum says needs to be completed in a year. Sometimes a child wants to study different books, needs help in a different area or already really understands something and doesn't need additional help in that area. Each child is different and, as much as possible, I really want what we are studying to resonate with that particular child.

Edited by Momto4inSoCal
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this idea has been suggested yet, but instead of choosing an entirely different curriculum, think about what you can add and subtract from what you own. The curriculum is a tool, and you can modify it to suit your needs. For example, for literature and history, you could look at Literature Pockets and History Pockets, which teach with craft projects. They are not enough for a full program, but they are great for supplementing. You could intersperse using the MP lit guides with some Literature Pocket activities.

DD17 did use a few of the MP literature guides when she attended a university model school in third grade. I liked the book choices, but the written work sent home for us to do was tedious. DD could answer the questions lickety split verbally, but it took her a long time to write down those same answers, so to me the writing was busy work. I don't know if they have revised them since then, but if that is partly what your daughter doesn't like, you could think about how you can use the guides without having her write everything. Discussing and enjoying books is better than writing about them, especially at that age.

As for math -- we had a really hard time finding a math program that worked well, so once we found one, we stuck to it. However, I would do what was needed to avoid forming a negative attitude about math, if it meant having two children in two different programs.