Menu

Amazon prime users---any favorite fitness/yoga videos for plus size/beginner workouts?

Ottakee

My son just got Amazon video streaming when we cut cable.  It looks like there are tons of exercise video options on there.  Do you have any favorites?  I am plus size, coming off a knee/ankle injury (so no high impact), and not in the greatest shape.  I would love 20 minute max workouts as that is realistically all I can physical do and have time for right now.  I am interested in yoga, Pilates, walking, balance/coordination, basic fitness, etc.  I am not a senior (despite what my kids think) but I am open to videos for seniors as well since they often fit my fitness level.

give me some good ideas on some to try.  If they are longer but it would be worth doing just the first 20 minutes or so, I can do that too.

• Like 1

Suzanne deason yoga conditioning for weight loss.  But it's a DVD.  However,  it is aimed at middle age over weight and out of shape.  Good all round practice.  She has assistants each demonstrating three levels of modification.  I found when I was comfortable with this practice,  I could easily move on to a typical average dvd practice

My experience is most "beginner " workouts are aimed at the already fit, just new to yoga.

Eta, and I still reaped many of the benefits of yoga.  Look up 77 benefits of yoga.  I'm on my phone so can't link.

Jus a week of every day, I could breathe better and was more flexible. 

Always listen to your body. 

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, PeachyDoodle said:

Yeah, I'd recommend YouTube for exercise over Amazon.

My favorite yoga videos are by Sarah Beth Yoga. She's a great teacher, workouts are short, and many are very good for beginners (and all can be modified -- she usually shows you how). 

I was going to recommend Sarah Beth Yoga too. I have very low flexibility and have tried many beginner yoga videos but I can actually do hers. 

• Like 2

I adore Lindsey Samper yoga on Amazon Prime.  She has a good variety, from 10 minute to hour long.  Her instructions are top notch. 

Edited to add: Oh, hey, I just went onto Prime and it recommended another yoga video for me that looks interesting -- Yoga for the Inflexible by Julia Marie.  I haven't tried it, but it might be worth taking a look at.

Edited by GailV
  • Like 1

I found one that is working well so far.  It is the Yoga For the Rest Of Us series by Peggy Cappy.   She has 3 versions of each exercise.....the standard, modified (often using a chair for balance) and a fully seated version. 

I find that I can do all of the modified versions and some of the exercises I can do the standard way.  It is nice as I can easily switch back and forth depending on the exercise.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Are any of Leslie Sansone’s walking video on Prime? (I have Prime but I don’t use it for fitness videos, so I don’t know!)

I would also recommend Jessica Smith’s YouTube channel for all kinds of workouts, from basic walking up to more advanced workouts.

Some of Leslie Sansone's videos are on YouTube as well. I sometimes do hers when I want a break from Jessica Smith's.

OP, I would also recommend YouTube. There are many, many good ones there. You can search based on what you're looking for - beginner, walking, low impact, etc. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Some of Leslie Sansone's videos are on YouTube as well. I sometimes do hers when I want a break from Jessica Smith's.

OP, I would also recommend YouTube. There are many, many good ones there. You can search based on what you're looking for - beginner, walking, low impact, etc. 

Is there a way to stream youtube on a TV?

3 hours ago, Ottakee said:

We watch through our Roku device but many (most?) smart TV's have the YouTube app. You might have to download and/or activate it. I'm not sure how it works because even though our TV can get YouTube we just use the Roku to stream everything. Alternatively you want to stream things regularly you can get an Amazon stick (I think it's called a Fire Stick or Fire TV), another type of streaming stick (Roku, Google, Apple). If your TV has a usb port you can put the videos on a memory stick and watch that way. Lastly, if you or a family member is tech savvy, depending on how "smart" your TV is you might be able to cast it from a computer or phone to your TV.

Edited by Lady Florida.

On 2/24/2019 at 3:08 PM, Ottakee said:

I load the YouTube video on my laptop and connect to our (not smart) TV with an HDMI cord. The TV does have to be new enough to have an HDMI port. 

This is also how we stream Amazon Prime videos/movies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ondreeuh said:

My faaaaavorite workouts on YouTube are on Up to the BEat Fitness with Gina B. She has all sorts of beginner workouts and uses fun music. The only downside is that I am now spoiled, and all my other workouts seem boring in comparison. 

I will check those out....esp. if I can figure out how to view them on the tv

10 hours ago, Penguin said:

I load the YouTube video on my laptop and connect to our (not smart) TV with an HDMI cord. The TV does have to be new enough to have an HDMI port. 

This is also how we stream Amazon Prime videos/movies.

A project to ask my son to help with .  He is all things techy in my house.

• Like 1