Menu

Dr Hive: what is going on with me?

Noreen Claire

I'm on cycle day 31. Three negative pregnancy tests (days 29, 30, and 31). I have all the symptoms of my period - cramps, gastrointestinal issues, moodiness, exhaustion - just not the bleeding.

relevant info: I'm 44. In the last 10 years I've had 7 pregnancies, 4 healthy boys and 3 losses. I've breastfed each of these  four boys until 2-2.5 years; DS2 is still nursing 2/day. My period would usually return around 12-15mos post-partum, and then I would use NFP to get pregnant again within two cycles. My period returned last December, and we are now avoiding pregnancy. Since my cycle has returned it has steadily declined from a 31 day cycle to a 23 day cycle. I'm also 55lbs over the upper "healthy" weight limit for my height. I've been stressed this semester, as I've been teaching three sections of a college class and have had to juggle homeschooling and a toddler and leaving the house after lunch two days a week (kids with grandparent) and making sure that dinner was prepped for when my husband came home. Also, as this fall was apparently monsoon season here in the northeast, I've been battling a wet finished basement for over a month. I also woke up today with what feels like a the beginnings of a chest cold. 

So, Dr. Hive, what the heck could this be?

25 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

My guess is peri-menopause.  

I guess I figured that my cycles would stop getting shorter and start getting longer in a more regular way. Grumble grumble grumble....

This jump from 23 days to 31 days (and counting) is going to make it harder to chart/plan for periods of abstinence/explain to my husband. Ugh.

1 minute ago, Noreen Claire said:

I guess I figured that my cycles would stop getting shorter and start getting longer in a more regular way. Grumble grumble grumble....

This jump from 23 days to 31 days (and counting) is going to make it harder to chart/plan for periods of abstinence/explain to my husband. Ugh.

For me, it's not predictable. at. all.!!  In the last twelve months of cycles, I've had a 65 day down to a 17 day.  Nothing is predictable anymore.  I've learned to carry supplies with me constantly. 

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

For me, it's not predictable. at. all.!!  In the last twelve months of cycles, I've had a 65 day down to a 17 day.  Nothing is predictable anymore.  I've learned to carry supplies with me constantly. 

This is me, too. I'm 51 and still not sure when and for how long the "." will show up. I'll get cramps and other common indicators of a regular cycle, only to not have a "."  Fun times. 😉

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Noreen Claire said:

Absolutely not more regular in any way.  

My cycles did what you described--got gradually shorter over time then stayed short.  Then they bounced around a bit, but were still within what I considered a normal range for me (so, 21-28 days).  I remember distinctly when what you're describing here happened.  One month I went all the way to 36 days.  Then it was back to the regular times for like a year.  Then a few more times out into the high 30 days, but mostly semi regular.

Then it was eight weeks weeks, then normal for a while.  Then 12 weeks, then a few normal.  Then five months.  You get the idea.

I'd be very careful if you are using natural family planning.

• Like 3

I'm sorry for your losses.

Sounds like a stress-related long cycle. Are you taking vitamins? My cycle during stress times (pretty much constant for the last couple years) tends to be longer when I'm not taking my daily multi. 

We're a NFP family, too. I'd definitely have a sit down with DH and explain what you do and don't know and tell him it might be this way for awhile. He'll appreciate the straightforwardness and honesty while likely being just as exasperated at the unknowns as you are. At least, I assume he will be as a NFP guy. Avoiding is, IMO, way trickier than going for the +. Both can be stressful. It is a tough adjustment.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Sounds like a stress-related long cycle. Are you taking vitamins? My cycle during stress times (pretty much constant for the last couple years) tends to be longer when I'm not taking my daily multi. 

Thanks for writing this- I haven't been taking my vitamins regularly. I'm going to put a reminder in my phone.

• Like 1

The first time I missed periods in peri-menopause, it was like that.  I was sure I was going to start my period at any moment ... this went on for at least 2 weeks (while I was traveling - most annoying), and I didn't have an actual period until 2.5 months later.  Word to the wise - when I did finally have that next period, it was very very heavy.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, SKL said:

The first time I missed periods in peri-menopause, it was like that.  I was sure I was going to start my period at any moment ... this went on for at least 2 weeks (while I was traveling - most annoying), and I didn't have an actual period until 2.5 months later.  Word to the wise - when I did finally have that next period, it was very very heavy.

Yes--this exactly.  And not only was it very very heavy, in my case, it also went on for two full weeks.  Ugh.  Fortunately that's only happened a handful of times.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

My motto at this stage of life is "always be prepared".  Seriously, I just went 17 months and then was hit with a very very heavy one.

Yes--this.  I always carry one of those OB Ultra tampons in my pocket.  Always.  Because you never know.

• Like 1

I had an OB/gyn who gave me a progesterone pill (I think) to bring on an overdue period.  It took about a week of pills and bam, there it was.  He gave me instructions to resume them anytime my cycle was more than x days, and if I was feeling miserable.  I went back to being regular: 21 day cycles and light.  

• Like 1

We did mostly NFP (but weren't 100% committed) throughout our 20s and 30s. Then peri hit in my early 40s and my cycles were hit and miss and I was Just. So. Tired. of trying to figure it all out and I just wanted to enjoy my husband now that my kids all slept through the night and I actually had some energy, kwim? Anyway, because of all the uncertainty we were ... a bit lazy ... and we figured I was getting too old anyway ... and now I am pregnant with my 6th and due right after my 45th bday :wub:  We are very excited, don't get me wrong, but it's definitely not how we pictured spending our late 40s and has taken some adjustment to get used to the idea.

So my advice is to make sure both you and DH are on the same page when it comes to how strict you're going to be with NFP - because just when you think you've got peri kinda figured out, it will throw you a curve ball lol!

• Like 3