Menu

Happy Pie Day, Everyone!

unsinkable

One of my favorite days...doing the Thanksgiving Day baking!

I got really simply requests this year...a "regular plain pumpkin pie," pecan pie bars, and chocolate cream pie.

I'm probably making cranberry bread, too and maaaaybe chocolate cookie pie. I'm not sure about the chocolate chip pie. I saw a recipe that looks so good I wanted to try it but I'm not sure we "need" it. And then I think...give it a try...And then I think...What if it goes to waste? And thus I get on my Gerbil Wheel of Overthinking Indecision!

I'll do most of my apps and side dishes today, too.

Have fun everyone!

• Like 8

I am using a different pumpkin pie recipe this year because someone mentioned in another thread about using heavy cream instead of evaporated milk in their recipe so I googled a recipe using heavy cream.

I didn’t have enough heavy cream yesterday so I was going to run to Walmart after our teacher’s conference.  I stopped by the house on the way because I needed to drop a table off at il’s on the way and I needed dd to help me and I figured she’d want to come along.  But she wasn’t here, so I stalked her location, I mean looked to see where she was, and she was at Walmart.  So I called and asked her to pick up my stuff while she was there.  She called back to say Walmart was out of heavy cream and only had heavy whipping cream!  😂

• Haha 6

Yummy! Dh made three pies on Saturday for our Thanksgiving celebration, which was Sunday.  He made a plain pumpkin, cranberry apple, and some sort of pumpkin ginger meringue. The first two were fantastic.  I personally didn't like the meringue but a lot of other people did.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, school17777 said:

You guys had me convinced to make my own pie crusts based on that thread a couple of weeks ago, but I chickened out and went ahead and bought TJ pie crusts.

I actually prefer store bought pie crusts.  Homemade can taste really good but it simply isn't worth the extra time for me.  store bought pie crust is really just as good in my mind.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hjffkj said:

I actually prefer store bought pie crusts.  Homemade can taste really good but it simply isn't worth the extra time for me.  store bought pie crust is really just as good in my mind.

I agree 100%. Something's gotta give, and it's homemade pie crusts.

I'm making nine pies this year. I got a head start, and made four yesterday (plus the cranberry sauce), and I got another three done this morning. I just have make it through the last two, and prep the stuffing, and then I can "relax" until tomorrow!

• Like 3

I just got the pecan white chocolate pie out of the oven and put in the pumpkin.  I am also going to make a caramel apple cheesecake and bake rolls today.  I am thinking about putting together the stuffing/dressing today too, but I am running out of refrigerator space.  Yesterday I make turkey stock, cranberry sauce, cooked the pumpkin for the pie, got the turkey dry brining and baked the sweet potatoes.  I want to have as little to do tomorrow as I can when I have family here to "help" me in the kitchen.

• Like 2

My daughter made 11 crusts yesterday while my mom made a cheesecake and I did major hauling and set of tables, chairs, etc. Today my mom, daughter, sister, and I will fill them. My son used to make all the pie crusts but college is keeping him too busy. My mom's recipe is the best ever but I still can't make them. So my children learn from my mom. 

2 pumpkin, 2 sugar free pumpkin, 2 lemon meringue, 2 pecan, an apple, a cheery, and either a second cherry or a triple berry,  yes, the pies are more important than the turkey. 😁

• Like 5

I'm proud of us all! 🙂

Great job, ladies!

I did the pumpkin pie, the pecan bars, the crusts for the chocolate pies (will fill tomorrow)...did 2 apps, baked the sweet potatoes, and made lunch.

plus kept the kitchen clean as I went along!

I'm going to keep going until someone gets hungry for dinner. LOL

• Like 4

Just a chocolate-Kahlua pecan pie today, though I did make the crust. Making pumpkin tomorrow because I prefer the consistency when it hasn't been chilled. 

Then making apple and another pumpkin for Friday when my mom comes over to eat with us. 

Cranberry orange bread sounds good. Will do that in the next week or so. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, unsinkable said:

One of my favorite days...doing the Thanksgiving Day baking!

I got really simply requests this year...a "regular plain pumpkin pie," pecan pie bars, and chocolate cream pie.

I'm probably making cranberry bread, too and maaaaybe chocolate cookie pie. I'm not sure about the chocolate chip pie. I saw a recipe that looks so good I wanted to try it but I'm not sure we "need" it. And then I think...give it a try...And then I think...What if it goes to waste? And thus I get on my Gerbil Wheel of Overthinking Indecision!

I'll do most of my apps and side dishes today, too.

Have fun everyone!

If the chocolate chip cookie pie is from melskitchencafe.com, you have to make it!!! It's so yummy!

I was totally planning to make it myself, but then I switched to a dessert that I could make gluten free, for some G/F guests.

• Like 2

I did not make pie today, but I did make mashed sweet potatoes all but baking them. Plan to make cherry pie tomorrow morning. 

Here’s a funny aside for those who know (i.e., everyone) about my annoying SIL’s pie request: a friend of mine dropped off a present for me today - a pie from a local orchard. It’s more than a little tempting to just hand that one to SIL tomorrow - especially since it’s pumpkin!  

• Haha 5

Made a pumpkin cheesecake this morning in Kitchen Chemistry w/dd#2. Going to try to make either pecan or chocolate chess pie later. Not sure if I'll get the regular pumpkin pie done or not. (DD#1 is unhappy with me because I'm not making anything yummy. She's anti-nut and the pumpkin cheesecake as pecans in the crust. I'll have to dig to see if I have more pecans in the freezer or I won't get the pecan done. I used all my pecans for the cheesecake crust...)

Can't find the pecans in the freezer. Chocolate chess pie is in the oven. Three more homemade pie crust doughs are in the fridge awaiting decisions on other pies.

Edited by RootAnn
Updated
  • Like 2

I made two pecan pies, key lime pie and a pumpkin cake. Also rolls, and the components for stuffing to be baked tomorrow. Most of the appetizers, turkey, and cranberry sauce are already over at dmil's. She is hosting, but I am bringing all the food. It is the last Thanksgiving in her house before she moves to an independent living community.

Tomorrow, I will head over early to check that the turkey is thawed, make apple-fennel slaw and green beans, plus cook the turkey, make gravy, and get everything ready at the appointed time.

• Like 2

Bought a small pumpkin pie (bil and I are the only ones who eat it) and some cheesecake this morning (sil and her kids don't eat pie but love cheesecake). I made a French cherry pie for the church pie social tonight with homemade crust because I think they taste better but mine always look terrible. Now I'm in the process of making a chocolate mousse cake because I googled it in September and have shown remarkable restraint in waiting for Thanksgiving to make it since more people will be around to help eat it. Cake is done--chocolate mousse filling is up next.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Storygirl said:

If the chocolate chip cookie pie is from melskitchencafe.com, you have to make it!!! It's so yummy!

I was totally planning to make it myself, but then I switched to a dessert that I could make gluten free, for some G/F guests.

Thank you!

I got the idea from Mel's website but I had a different recipe, which uses less butter (one of the complaints on allrecipes is that there is too much butter).

It is cooling on a rack now! I will file an After Action Report and let y'all know how it turned out.

• Like 2

I don't like making pies but apparently I'm usually pretty good at it.  When I woke up this morning my goal was two pumpkin, one pecan and one apple.  Then my mil ended up in the hospital so at noon changed plans to two pumpkin and two pecan (no peeling time).  I was so proud of myself when the two pumpkin pies went in the oven.  Then perplexed when one was done much earlier than the other.  They were two different colors!  I was racking my brain trying to figure it out.  Looked around and realized I forgot the sugar in one!  

Started over on a new one.  Let the kids douse the other one in whipped cream and polish it off because I needed the pue plate.  Started making crusts for the pecan pies and realized I had doubled the amount of flour in the first three crusts!  Then, as I'm putting the pies in the oven realize I only put the melted butter in one!  I'm done.  Mixed the butter in as best I could and it's looking ok.  Crust may be inedible on the pumpkin but the filling should be good.

I think I'll skip the pies at Christmas!

• Haha 1

Is it weird that I always feel a little sad and left out when I see these threads? 

Thanksgiving has always been very low-key, with just the four of us. For a few years, I tried something different for dessert every year, looking for something that would meet our assorted dietary needs and preferences, plus seem seasonally appropriate. But it always turned out that we barely did justice to the actual meal and didn't have room for dessert, anyway.

Sometimes, I coast along just being content that we do our own thing and appreciating that our day is more relaxed. But sometimes, between not baking pies and not needing to defrost or spend all day roasting a turkey (vegetarian/vegan household) and never doing the "over the river and through the woods" trip, I have this kind of wistful feeling that I'm missing out on the full Thanksgiving experience.

• Like 2