Menu

Flat Earth again

maize

9 hours ago, unsinkable said:

What a crude, disrespectful expression.

Not nearly as disrespectful as the post it referenced. In fact, had Jesus read it, I'm pretty sure he would have rolled his eyes and said, "Dear sweet forking Me."

And hey, at least I went with forking.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Mergath said:

Not nearly as disrespectful as the post it referenced. In fact, had Jesus read it, I'm pretty sure he would have rolled his eyes and said, "Dear sweet forking Me."

Yeah, the one you referenced was ugly.

Bill

• Like 3

8 hours ago, EKS said:

What direct experience related to the horizon are you talking about?  The one with the ship's mast coming into view first?  I've actually never seen that, and I lived within a few miles of the ocean for the first 30 years of my life and spent an inordinate amount of time at the beach.  Or is it the one where you can see farther the higher you go?  I suspect that most people would not attribute that experience to curvature.

But these examples really miss the point.  Even if you do notice that the mast comes into view first, direct experience doesn't get you from there to the earth being a sphere.  

Anyway, I'm not arguing that the earth is flat.  I'm arguing that for most people, the belief that the earth is a sphere doesn't come from direct experience; it comes from being told by others that the earth is a sphere.  It is the same with practically every belief that we have, scientific or not.

I understand the point that you're making. We really do get much of our basic knowledge about the world secondhand. However, thinking critically and looking at any horizon does not show a flat earth. The land around us (and it's just more obvious at the ocean and if you can get up high) doesn't look at all flat if you stop to think about it. This is why so many ancient peoples realized so early on that the earth was not flat. Like, I don't think the earth is round because someone told me it was when I was little. I think the earth is round because I routinely see evidence that it is. These folks claim to be trying to see the evidence... and instead they're dug in saying they've never seen proof. The proof is readily available to them. It's not some mysterious phenomenon. Just take a flight. Just go watch the ships on purpose. It's not... rocket science or climate change or evolution where the science is clear but most average people are going to have to trust the experts. It's an observable phenomenon.

51 minutes ago, Mergath said:

Forking can mean having sex or can be used as a substitute for f---ing, so either meaning is crude and disrespectful. 

There is no relationship between the post you quoted and your crude, disrespectful post. 

The solution to something that one finds ugly is not lash out with more ugliness.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, unsinkable said:

Forking can mean having sex or can be used as a substitute for f---ing, so either meaning is crude and disrespectful. 

There is no relationship between the post you quoted and your crude, disrespectful post. 

The solution to something that one finds ugly is not lash out with more ugliness.

Really, the classiest response of all goes to Mercy A. I wish I were as beautiful. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

I understand the point that you're making. We really do get much of our basic knowledge about the world secondhand. However, thinking critically and looking at any horizon does not show a flat earth. The land around us (and it's just more obvious at the ocean and if you can get up high) doesn't look at all flat if you stop to think about it. This is why so many ancient peoples realized so early on that the earth was not flat. Like, I don't think the earth is round because someone told me it was when I was little. I think the earth is round because I routinely see evidence that it is. These folks claim to be trying to see the evidence... and instead they're dug in saying they've never seen proof. The proof is readily available to them. It's not some mysterious phenomenon. Just take a flight. Just go watch the ships on purpose. It's not... rocket science or climate change or evolution where the science is clear but most average people are going to have to trust the experts. It's an observable phenomenon.

I'm not saying it's not.  Obviously it is.  But the point is that unless you're primed for it, the average person isn't going to be sitting there looking at ships and thinking "Aha! The earth is a sphere!"  Yes, there were and are people who would reach that conclusion on their own, but I suspect that the vast majority would not.  Not because they couldn't, but because it wouldn't occur to them to even think about it.

I'm not talking about flat earthers here.  I'm talking about the types of conclusions people come to about the world in the absence of other people telling them what's what.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Thank you, Quill, you are sweet. ❤️

I'll bet we could come up with lots of colorful food-based expletives if we tried. 😉 

A guy I knew when I was a teen used to say this when his temper got short:

”Oh, go.....read your Bible!” 

• Haha 4

On 11/18/2018 at 10:56 AM, EKS said:

Most people's direct experience of the world is that it's flat.

Not in my house. When I put a ball on the dining room floor, it rolls to the northeast corner. Do you think the negative Rh factor is to blame for this (or a sloshed construction crew)? I have seen lizards around as well...but now I have confused myself apparently because the lizards come from RH negative people who roam a flat earth???

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

Not in my house. When I put a ball on the dining room floor, it rolls to the northeast corner. Do you think the negative Rh factor is to blame for this (or a sloshed construction crew)? I have seen lizards around as well...but now I have confused myself apparently because the lizards come from RH negative people who roam a flat earth???

My dining room floor is most definitely not flat!

I blame the lizards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Liz CA said:

My SIL has that rh factor thing and sometimes I do see snake-like tendencies, so...

• Haha 4

In the last year or so, I've told my husband about the flat earth and chemtrail theories and he didn't believe me that people actually believed them. But he's a hobby pilot and he's now been asked twice whether he can see the curvature of the earth and once about the clouds left behind planes. He guessed why they were asking and gave them all the best answers he could.It all just makes me want to make sure my kids know how to know the earth is round. And exactly what those clouds are made of and how they are formed. The rh- lizard thing is a new one to me. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CTVKath said:

In the last year or so, I've told my husband about the flat earth and chemtrail theories and he didn't believe me that people actually believed them. But he's a hobby pilot and he's now been asked twice whether he can see the curvature of the earth and once about the clouds left behind planes. He guessed why they were asking and gave them all the best answers he could.It all just makes me want to make sure my kids know how to know the earth is round. And exactly what those clouds are made of and how they are formed. The rh- lizard thing is a new one to me. 

I guess we also need to teach them how sexual reproduction works at a genetic level and why no reptilian alien could ever interbreed with a human.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texasmom33 said:

They just spread that rumor themselves  to hide the fact that they’re alien overlords. 

So what happens when when rh+ people marry into the Royal Family. The kids have a little more scaly skin than normal but they are otherwise okay?

Edited by Liz CA

2 hours ago, maize said:

I guess we also need to teach them how sexual reproduction works at a genetic level and why no reptilian alien could ever interbreed with a human.

If we can stick fish genes into tomatoes, I am sure lizard aliens can solve that problem.  Why they would bother, though, I do not know.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Sure it wasn’t dinosaurs?  Think they may have made the holes in our floor tiles?

although dinosaurs is a conspiracy theory too right?

Hm, there are in fact a lot of dinosaurs at my house. I thought they were just plastic but maybe they come alive at night?

Maybe lizard people are descended from dinosaurs?

• Haha 1

On 11/18/2018 at 4:03 AM, texasmom33 said:

What’s a flat earth map look like? I want to know but am sort of afraid to Google. I’ll just add to the “wacky Christian flat-earther” analytic with that search it seems like. 

I didn't realize this was three pages and I'm not reading all three pages so I apologize if this was already answered. The flat earth looks like be UN symbol. The government knows the World is Flat and it's their way of rubbing it in our faces. I got this information from the official flat-earthers Society website a while ago. Around the outside is ice which we believe to be Antarctica.

On 11/18/2018 at 5:59 PM, Farrar said:

The thing is, most people HAVE had direct experience of the curve of the earth. Most people have been in an airplane, to the top of a tall skyscraper, or to the edge of the ocean. In all of these situations, you can see the curve of the horizon. If you've ever been at sea or at the edge of the ocean, you can literally watch the ships come over the horizon. This is why it's a load of nonsense that Columbus thought he was going to sail off the edge of the world. Sailors all know that there is no edge of the world.

I have heard that airplanes have bent windows to make the world look flat and that the atmosphere changes the appearance of the Earth to look round. We have a mountain here that changes size and location based on the atmosphere so I can totally believe that the world looks wrong because of the atmosphere!

Also, no one has ever actually seen a ship come over the horizon or go over the horizon except in movies. Check the website. They know this stuff. :wink:

• Haha 1