Menu

Would you eat this....quickly

ProudGrandma

I set a frozen chicken out last night to partial thaw before I went to bed and left it out over night by accident. It is still cold this morning and maybe even still a tiny bit frozen. Would you cook it for lunch or not? My plan was crockpot. What would you do? This is not a store bought chicken, but rather a home grown and butchered chicken from a farm.... If that matters.

Edited by kfeusse

7 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

I set a frozen chicken out last night to partial thaw before I went to bed and left it out over night by accident. It is still cold this morning and maybe even still a tiny bit frozen. Would you cook it for lunch or not? My plan was crockpot. What would you do? This is not a store bought chicken, but rather a home grown and butchered chicken from a farm.... If that matters.

Depending on temp of your house...at night, in winter, my kitchen is pretty darn cold.

So if it still felt cold, I'd roast it in oven but not the crockpot.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, unsinkable said:

Depending on temp of your house...at night, in winter, my kitchen is pretty darn cold.

So if it still felt cold, I'd roast it in oven but not the crockpot.

our house is set at 68....but my kitchen gets a bit colder than that at night...and it's really cold outside right now...like in the 25.

4 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

our house is set at 68....but my kitchen gets a bit colder than that at night...and it's really cold outside right now...like in the 25.

Haha...same here. It was in 20s yesterday with 30-40 mph winds. I was LOLing at myself bc I hadn't checked the weather and I was like, "Whaaaaaat?" when the wind hit me.

3 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

the chicken was cut up in a bag and I just opened up the bag.  The pieces broke apart pretty easily and there is a little bit of ice in the middle, but not a lot.  It's cold...but I am nervous about it.  

I know what you mean about being nervous. That would be my issue...I'd be worried for the next day if I have made my kids & DH sick. 

So even though I'm sure it'd be OK, it might not be worth the worry.

Ehhhhh, I’m twitchy about chicken, so I would toss.  I left a frozen pork loin out the other night on the counter while I was getting dinner put away and forgot to stick it in the fridge.  I personally thought it was too warm by morning and tossed it, although I realize we were probably more likely to get sick from employees handling the prepared rotisserie chicken I picked up to replace it.

3 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

I was thinking instapot too...but I won't be able to make it until after church...so I popped it in the fridge. Is that ok?

I don’t think anyone can know such a thing for sure. Rarely I have had a problem with something where I think maybe the initial problem came during the shipping/trucking to store process. Not on my end. 

My own gut feeling in the circumstances you describe is that it would be okay. It seems like it never even really totally defrosted and so would be at a refrigerator temperature even though it was out for a while. So back in to refrigerator is almost like keeping it there the whole time. 

Clarifying what I posted earlier.  I said yes, but I don't think I'd crock pot it or wait for a few hours like you mentioned.  I'm with the other poster above who said IP.  I like the combo of high heat and pressure. If you are going to put it in the fridge for a few hours, no.  Cook right away, quickly and pressure, or not at all.   

ETA:  sorry, running.  Shorthand in the post, not being curt or bossy.

Edited by Halftime Hope

1 hour ago, kfeusse said:

the chicken was cut up in a bag and I just opened up the bag.  The pieces broke apart pretty easily and there is a little bit of ice in the middle, but not a lot.  It's cold...but I am nervous about it.  

If there's ice I wouldn't think twice about it.  I'm a bit skittish about chicken, but if there's ice it was plenty cold.  Cook it and enjoy it.