Menu

Gifting food companies

Night Elf

I don't know what to buy for my 95 year old grandmother or my 70+ parents. I figured i can't go wrong with food. What companies have some kind of gift basket of cheese and crackers or something like that? My parents are both diabetic so I don't want to send them candy, but my grandmother would probably love candy. I don't know where to buy any such things locally so I thought I'd have them delivered to me and then I could take them over for our Christmas party.

This isn't really a food gift, but if you have any coffee lovers in your life you can send them fresh roasted coffee beans from Blue Bottle Coffee.  It is amazing coffee.  There are some different choices and I think you can do a one time thing or like a mini subscription for a month or two.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

Wow some of these prices are so high! I'm wondering if I should just make baskets of my own. I could find small baskets to put just a few things into. I don't need big gifts. I'll have to talk to DH about it.

Thanks for the recommendations though!

I have done this before. If you have a Home Goods, I really like them for filling a basket. 

With that said, I love Harry & David and have often bought their goods as gifts or even as a gift for ourselves. Their pears are so good! 

45 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

Wow some of these prices are so high! I'm wondering if I should just make baskets of my own. I could find small baskets to put just a few things into. I don't need big gifts. I'll have to talk to DH about it.

Thanks for the recommendations though!

If the people are local, I’d suggest making your own “baskets”.

I’m a caretaker for a 91 year old for a couple of years now.  She does not want anything nonconsumable - including a basket, so I would use a gift bag.  She likes the smallest packing possible- easy to lift, uses up before it goes bad.  She likes nuts, Lindt truffles, small jars of jelly, mini Pepperidge Farm Milanos, magazines, two calendars - a mini one for her purse and a regular size for her desk, stamps, other cookies and candies.  

• Like 3

My dad likes candy and really enjoyed a retro candy gift box I got him one year, a variety of candies from his youth. I just searched "candy from 1940s" and found it. It was a little expensive if you looked at it as just candy, but it had cool packaging and I certainly wasn't able to track down such a variety. The packaging made a good presentation but was just cardboard that went in the recycling bin.

The other food-related idea I've done quite a few times is to go to World Market and pick a country. They usually have a good variety of food, snacks, and beverages so you can do a themed gift. Also beer and wine. 

• Like 3

I just remembered that last Christmas I gave my grandmother bundlet cakes from a cake store. I bought 3 and they stacked them and wrapped them in cellophane and put a big red bow on it. My grandmother loved it. I think I'll do that for her again. She's like me. Cake is our favorite dessert. So now I have to come up with something for my parents who are diabetic. 

I'm trying to think of what I can put in a diabetic basket: almonds, cheese and crackers. How about a bag of Smart Popcorn? My mom makes her own popcorn using an air popper so maybe I should include a jar of popcorn kernels? What else? Or should I start a new thread?

I have sent food towers or baskets to my in-laws for the last 5 years or so.  I order from Sams Club or Costco.  They have all different options - my mil is diabetic as well, so I try to find a nut/cheese/fruit type tower.  They don't acknowledge the gifts, so I'm not sure if they are good or terrible!!

You could choose a theme for a basket or those who are diabetic--a group of Mexican salsas and some Mexican spices; a salad theme with some nice oil and vinegars for dressings along with almonds and bacon bits for toppings; a Cajun-themed basket with some packaged gumbo mixes, a bottle of tabasco, some file, and some spice mixes.  

• Like 1