Menu

I have crocodile feet

Momto6inIN

Ugly rough scaly calluses on my heels and toes. Yuck! Seriously, sometimes they are so cracked and rough that they catch on my sheets or the carpet. ?

No money or time for regular pedicure treatments at a spa or similar place. Anybody have some good products to use at home that actually work? Bonus points for links that are easily ordered and don't cost an arm and a leg ?

• Like 1

A couple things come to mind. Firstly, have you asked a doc whether you happen to have foot fungus? If so, this may be compounding the problems. Secondly, have you tried soaking your feet in warm water, or taking a bath, and rubbing off the layers of dead skin with pumice stone (you can get them very inexpensive at WalMart or the like). You can do this, then apply some moisturizer. Try this a few times a week for a few weeks and see if it helps. 

There are tools you can purchase to shave off the dead skin, but you have to be very careful not to go too deep, cause bleeding, and have possible complications with infection. Best to sluff off the skin with a pumice stone.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

O'Keefe's didn't work for me. It felt...nasty. Tacky? Idk. 

I use this on my feet in the shower, daily. https://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/p/soap-loofah-pumice-foot-scrub/. It says "scrub" but it's a bar, a very scratchy bar. Smells nice. 

Then I use Gold Bond Softening or Healing on my feet at night (lotion + a pair of socks until it's all soaked in).  If I'm consistent, my feet look normal. If I'm not, my heels are super super cracked and rough. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I HAVE to recommend Mr Pumice every night in the shower, and sleeping with socks on and something like OKeefe’s or a lotion bar.  I cannot get rid of cracks without manual sanding in the shower every night, but consistent removal of dry skin and then emollient treatments has brought them back from dry, painfully cracked and rough to sandal weather smooth.  No lie.

Don’t use any other pumice stone but Mr Pumice - NOT worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Pumice-Ultimate-Bar-pieces/dp/B074PDJFYR/ref=sr_1_9_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1540149822&sr=8-9&keywords=mr+pumi

25 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

O'Keefe's didn't work for me. It felt...nasty. Tacky? Idk. 

I use this on my feet in the shower, daily. https://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/p/soap-loofah-pumice-foot-scrub/. It says "scrub" but it's a bar, a very scratchy bar. Smells nice. 

Then I use Gold Bond Softening or Healing on my feet at night (lotion + a pair of socks until it's all soaked in).  If I'm consistent, my feet look normal. If I'm not, my heels are super super cracked and rough. 

Sounds like the theme here is "consistent". And sleeping in socks. Not sure I can do that part!

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, wintermom said:

A couple things come to mind. Firstly, have you asked a doc whether you happen to have foot fungus? If so, this may be compounding the problems. Secondly, have you tried soaking your feet in warm water, or taking a bath, and rubbing off the layers of dead skin with pumice stone (you can get them very inexpensive at WalMart or the like). You can do this, then apply some moisturizer. Try this a few times a week for a few weeks and see if it helps. 

There are tools you can purchase to shave off the dead skin, but you have to be very careful not to go too deep, cause bleeding, and have possible complications with infection. Best to sluff off the skin with a pumice stone.

Wouldn't a fungus itch? They don't itch.

I've tried pumice, but haphazardly, not consistently. That's probably my problem. Plus I go barefoot a lot in the house. 

1 hour ago, Seasider too said:

Of course it goes almost without saying, but the best cure for this is a daily barefoot walk on a salty sandy beach. 

Hmmmm ... I live in Indiana so that one is gonna be tough! Lol

Unless maybe you're an MD and can give me an Rx to turn into insurance??? ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, --- said:

I use an electric footbath with Epsom salts.  After I soak my feet for a while in the swirling, hot water, I dry them off with a rough towel and rub off all the dead skin, gently.  Then, I rub in some Aveeno Stress Relief Lotion really well.

Socks also help in the winter, which is usually when I have rough skin.

I was wondering what I should use for the soaking. I don't have any bowls or tubs I'm willing to share with my crocodile feet!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Momto5inIN said:

Wouldn't a fungus itch? They don't itch.

I've tried pumice, but haphazardly, not consistently. That's probably my problem. Plus I go barefoot a lot in the house. 

No, fungus doesn't necessarily itch, and it isn't always obvious. Athlete's foot is a type of fungus, but there are many other types we can get on the skin of our feet, our toe nails, etc. 

Also, if you do have a fungus or viruses (warts), it could spread to others in your house. So walking around without socks may be causing others risk of getting feet nasties. It's worth checking for the sake of yourself and others in the house.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

I have used Baby Foot with good success.

https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Foot-Exfoliation-Lavender-Scented/dp/B076ZNVJ2Q/ref=sr_1_7_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1540167964&sr=1-7&keywords=baby+foot+peel&dpID=418fdk3eeUL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

It’s an interesting experience as your feet peel horribly for a few days, but it works well. Also, even though they say it is a one use thing, I put the foot baggies in a ziplock and put them in the freezer and reuse them, and it still works great. The key is soaking your feet before putting the baggies on, and then soaking for a bit every day even during peeling. Don’t try and pull the strips off when you’re peeling; just soak and then rub gently with your finger. It all comes off eventually.

My feet get tough again, but they wouldn’t if I used a pumice and lotion more often than I do.

• Like 3

Vaseline and socks? Do it during the day if you can’t sleep like that at night. Just wear boots for a few hours.

I dance barefoot for about four hours a week (then switch to ballet slippers the rest of the week when my feet get sore). I moisturize, but never ever sand down my feet because I need those callouses. I just don’t need them to crack or split. 

My daughter swears by body butter. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Momto5inIN said:

Ugly rough scaly calluses on my heels and toes. Yuck! Seriously, sometimes they are so cracked and rough that they catch on my sheets or the carpet. ?

No money or time for regular pedicure treatments at a spa or similar place. Anybody have some good products to use at home that actually work? Bonus points for links that are easily ordered and don't cost an arm and a leg ?

first - soak your feet in apple cider vinegar.   then you should be able to use a pumice stone to scrape a lot of the dead skin off.  (for distinct calluses - I will use the side of a metal nail file to scrape off layers of dead skin.)

(we do tea tree oil foot soaks for somethings - and it is great.   for initial layers of dead skin, I've found apple cider vinegar is a good place to start.)

gold bond ultimate healing foot cream.   be generous.   initially do multiple times a day - and let it soak in.

I've also used nivea cream (not the lotion), slather and let soak in to your skin.

make sure you're generous with how much water you drink.  skin needs water too.

eta: I purchased a rasp made specifically for feet.   kind of a pain to clean - old tooth brush.  but it will get dead skin.  however, you MUST soak your feet first.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kareni said:

It sounds rather bizarre but a friend slathers her severely cracked heels with Vicks VapoRub and then wears socks to bed.

Regards,
Kareni

Vicks Vaporub has eucalyptus oil in it which is one of the home remedies for toenail fungus. It is usually mixed with another oil like coconut oil and applied to the feet. Your friend is probably skipping that step and using Vicks vaporub which has eucalyptus oil mixed in with a carrier agent already.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, livetoread said:

I have used Baby Foot with good success.

https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Foot-Exfoliation-Lavender-Scented/dp/B076ZNVJ2Q/ref=sr_1_7_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1540167964&sr=1-7&keywords=baby+foot+peel&dpID=418fdk3eeUL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

It’s an interesting experience as your feet peel horribly for a few days, but it works well. Also, even though they say it is a one use thing, I put the foot baggies in a ziplock and put them in the freezer and reuse them, and it still works great. The key is soaking your feet before putting the baggies on, and then soaking for a bit every day even during peeling. Don’t try and pull the strips off when you’re peeling; just soak and then rub gently with your finger. It all comes off eventually.

My feet get tough again, but they wouldn’t if I used a pumice and lotion more often than I do.

This sounds quite interesting and intense! How long do the baggues stay on?

10 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

A plastic dishtub from Walmart for about $1.50? If you don't want to just soak in the bathtub, that is. 

Lol - when we remodeled the house I insisted on a big corner wedge shaped tub with jets. And I do love it ... when I have the time to use it ... but it takes forever to fill and then after all that water use I feel like it should be "An experience" with like a glass of wine and bubbles and a book ... so the great tub I insisted on is not used as regularly as I had envisioned ?

8 hours ago, WendyAndMilo said:

So I've had thick callouses on my heels for like 20 years.  I go barefoot everywhere I can and wear flipflops almost year round.  So I actually use a dremel sander to sand mine down to the point where lotion (any kind) will actually make a difference.  Because if you put lotion on thick dead skin, it's not going to do anything.  And really, those heel scrapers/filers don't do squat.

This sounds like something my DH could help with! ? I think I'd be too scared to do it myself!

6 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

first - soak your feet in apple cider vinegar.   then you should be able to use a pumice stone to scrape a lot of the dead skin off.  (for distinct calluses - I will use the side of a metal nail file to scrape off layers of dead skin.)

(we do tea tree oil foot soaks for somethings - and it is great.   for initial layers of dead skin, I've found apple cider vinegar is a good place to start.)

gold bond ultimate healing foot cream.   be generous.   initially do multiple times a day - and let it soak in.

I've also used nivea cream (not the lotion), slather and let soak in to your skin.

make sure you're generous with how much water you drink.  skin needs water too.

eta: I purchased a rasp made specifically for feet.   kind of a pain to clean - old tooth brush.  but it will get dead skin.  however, you MUST soak your feet first.

Pure apple cider vinegar or diluted?

Sooooo many good tips in this thread! I knew I could count on the Hive ?

For Baby Foot, you soak your feet (or just do it after a bath/shower) and then put the baggies on for one hour. I use rubber bands at the top and put socks on over them. You can walk, but it’s kind of treacherous, so I just sit in my recliner with a book, and then carefully walk to the tub to rinse it off.

You don’t want to do it if you plan on showing your feet in public for about two weeks. It takes anywhere from a couple of days to a week for your feet to start peeling, and then about five days for the peeling to finish. No lotion allowed during that time. You’ll also want to wear socks during the peeling time and take them off over a trash can. It really is gross! I use a dish pan to soak on the days I don’t take a shower.

• Like 2

O’keeffes stayed sticky on my feet and it burned my hands.  I am a big fan or plain Shea butter along with soaking the feet in Epsom salts.  A pumice or pedi feet one after soaking, dry the feet and rub lotion on before bed. Cotton socks with the toes cut out are great.  I also put the lotion on when I am wearing sneakers/boots.  

• Like 1

I get crocodile feet too, but the dry cracked skin on your toes gives me pause.  It really may be fungal.  My heels are ugly as heck, but it never goes to my toes.  Sometimes my heels crack and that is so painful that I'm hobbling around.

I bought an 8 dollar foot rasp (Microplane brand) on Amazon and its exactly what I needed.  It gets rid of the dead skin so that the lotion can penetrate.  The trick is to use it regularly and to not wait until a dremel sander (OMG!) is necessary.  So maybe once every week or two weeks?  I tried the socks and lotions and I really don't like how that feels at all.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Momto5inIN said:

?

?

Pure apple cider vinegar or diluted?

Sooooo many good tips in this thread! I knew I could count on the Hive ?

it is diluted - maybe a couple cups to a gallon of water.  I have oblong buckets - and use that.

I almost never put a sock on my feet after I've slathered them in lotion - I want it to soak into my feet (20 - 30 minutes) not get on the sock.   

again - if my feet are really bad - I will do multiple times a day, as many times as I can get away with.   it allows the moisture to soak in, and there is usually an ingredient which "seals" the skin to keep it from losing more moisture.   if I have done a lot of moisturizer - the calluses will start breaking down/peeling on their own and are much easier to "help them on their way".

• Like 1