Menu

Need new TV show ideas

kfeusse

We have Netflix, Hulu and Amazon.  I feel like i have watched all of the shows I might possible like and I can't find anything more.  I started some that I thought I might like, but just couldn't get into them...but maybe I didn't give them enough time...but I hate tolerating a show just to see if it's any good.  These are the shows I have watched over the years and really liked...is there anything left for me?

Heartland

When Calls the Heart

Gilmore Girls

Royal Pains

Night Shift

Hart of Dixie

Parenthood

Drop Dead Diva

Grey's Anatomy

Switched at birth

Doc Martin

Master Chef (reg and Jr)

ER (still watching this...but I am getting bored with just one show)

Private Practice

Friday NIght Lights

The Good Wife 

I am sure there are more, but that gives you a good idea as to the kind of stuff I like.  I prefer medical over detective shows. I do not like anything gory.  Nor do I like sci-fi or sit coms.   I like dramas that have a nice mix of good comedy...like Gilmore Girls or Drop Dead Diva. 

thank you for your suggestions and please tell me where I might find your suggestions.  

Edited by kfeusse

Detectorists- British, quiet, chill, but also funny. 

Scrubs--More comedy but with a fair amount of drama. Plus my physician dh says it's the most accurate portrayal of medicine on TV he's seen.

Maybe consider something Joss Whedon? Firefly, Angel, Buffy, etc? Firefly is a good start. Drama, well done, but a fair amount of comedy. It's sci-fi but very accessible sci-fi. 

Parks and Recreation. A comedy but a story-driven comedy. It's one of my go-to feel good shows. 

Edited by MeaganS
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MeaganS said:

Detectorists- British, quiet, chill, but also funny. 

Scrubs--More comedy but with a fair amount of drama. Plus my physician dh says it's the most accurate portrayal of medicine on TV he's seen.

Maybe consider something Joss Whedon? Firefly, Angel, Buffy, etc? Firefly is a good start. Drama, well done, but a fair amount of comedy. It's sci-fi but very accessible sci-fi. 

Parks and Recreation. A comedy but a story-driven comedy. It's one of my go-to feel good shows. 

where can I find these...Netflix, Hulu, Amazon? thanks.

2 minutes ago, Lady Marmalade said:

Not sure if these are streaming anywhere, but they are dramas,  I really enjoyed them, and I don't see them on too many lists as recommendations:

Men In Trees

Everwood

The West Wing

Everwood....I have seen that...and I liked it....I forgot to add that to my list.  But the other 2 I haven't so I am adding them to my list.  thanks.

Edited by kfeusse

I know you said you don't prefer detective shows but Take Two on Hulu is cute. It's a currently airing show on ABC, so all of the episodes aren't there yet. A private detective and a recovering addict actress (think Lindsey Lohan but cuter and sweeter) team up. It's a combination detective show, dramedy, buddy show. 

• 8 months later...

Not sure if any of your providers have it but "Monarch of the Glen" (aired from 2000 - 2005) is rather funny and entertaining. Since you have Doc Martin on your list, it is in a similar vein. Another one is "Ballykissangel." Both are British productions.