Menu

Need Netflix rec's based on enjoying these shows. . .

Pegasus

MIL has asked for some Netflix recommendations. I let her know that we are enjoying "The Good Place" as the second season recently arrived.  She tried one episode and it was NOT to her liking.  Based on the following that she has enjoyed, can you recommend any others that are on Netflix?

• Father Brown
  • Doc Martin
  • Midwife
  • The Crown
  • Heartland
  • Longmire
  • Blue Bloods
  • Friday Night Lights

Many thanks!

• Miss Fisher's Mysteries 
  • Midsomer Murders

If she doesn't mind real-life - she may like "Churchill's New Secret Agents" - which has lot of WWII history.  It takes ordinary people and tries to train them like the British Secret Agents for WWII.  It's not really a competition but someone is asked to leave if they don't measure up.  

The sad thing is that most of the ones along the lines you described are only available in Disk:

• New Tricks 
  • George Gently
  • The Brokenwood Mysteries
  • The Last Detective
  • Doctor Finlay
  • Jonathan Creek

The other sad thing is that it is hard to find feel good shows on Netflix.  They seems to be heavy on gritty and dark or funny or irreverent these days.  For instance: When I put in Midsomer Murders the 2 of the other suggestions  were "True Detective" and "Prime Suspect"  uh...no.  From the list you gave and from her not liking "The Good Place" it sounds like she wants something less gritty.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Really? With that list, I would have thought Broadchurch a given. I enjoy the same list of shows and Broadchurch is one of my favorites.

I like some on the original list and also enjoyed Broadchurch, but Broadchurch is definitely far more intense and psychological and graphic than the "cozy mysteries" on the original list. JMO! ?

Edited by Lori D.

15 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Just an FYI for OP: While I enjoyed George Gently, it is definitely a big step up in intensity, subject matter, and graphic-ness -- not a cozy mystery like the others on PrincessMommy's great list. ? 

That's a very good point.  It's been a long time since I saw it and I definitely could have forgotten some of the more grim parts. 

Land Girls is good.  Heartland is supposed to be good as well. 

Is she open to getting any other subscriptions? She might like Acorn TV (cheaper than Netflix).  All sorts of great British and Australian TV shows, including Doc Martin which is no longer on Netflix. 

On 9/3/2018 at 10:17 AM, stephanier.1765 said:

Foyle's War and Grantchester

Has she tried Broadchurch?

Foyle's War left before I could watch much of it!  Finally decided to savor a show and they pulled it!

I've watched all on her list and the few suggested.  I switched to lots of British crime shows.  Or Australian ones.  They seem better quality.  ;)