Menu

reusable freezer containers?

Pegasus

Can you please share your experience, good and bad, with reusable freezer containers?  We are trying to reduce how many single-use products we use. I hate using a heavy freezer bag once and then tossing it.  Can this be done economically?  Does anyone use regular canning jars?   Does the headspace in the jars cause freezer burn?  What about the plastic reusable containers?  Assuming those can go through the dishwasher?

I’m trying to puzzle this one out myself. How do you reduce plastic use and keep your food preserved in the freezer? I don’t like glass jars because I feel that isn’t an efficient shape for my tiny over-the-fridge freezer. I’m contemplating some sort of one cup silicone cubes that I can freeze in, then pop out and wrap in what? Foil? Butcher paper? Plastic wrap then foil? Ideally it could be something I can compost or recycle. I don’t relish the thought of buying more plastic “so I can reuse it.” I DO cook things that I like to store up to six months. I haven’t quite found an answer that completely works for me. I’m using freezer bags now because they work really well and don’t waste space. 

• Like 2

I use the wide-mouth mason jars for most of my freezing - that's my preference but they are not always practical, so I also use heavy plastic containers - such as the Rubbermaid "easy find lid" type - for some things. Sometimes I put a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the food to protect from freezer burn.  I also sometimes reuse freezer bags but never ones that have had meat in them.  Reuse depends on how much water I'd have to use to get the bag clean enough to reuse.   I've not had good results with reusing yogurt or similar containers - they usually end up cracking.  

6 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I’m trying to puzzle this one out myself. How do you reduce plastic use and keep your food preserved in the freezer? I don’t like glass jars because I feel that isn’t an efficient shape for my tiny over-the-fridge freezer. I’m contemplating some sort of one cup silicone cubes that I can freeze in, then pop out and wrap in what? Foil? Butcher paper? Plastic wrap then foil? Ideally it could be something I can compost or recycle. I don’t relish the thought of buying more plastic “so I can reuse it.” I DO cook things that I like to store up to six months. I haven’t quite found an answer that completely works for me. I’m using freezer bags now because they work really well and don’t waste space. 

Anchor Hocking makes rectangular glass containers for the freezer. These, for example.

• Like 2

I use straight-sided, regular mouth half pint canning jars with plastic lids (pizza sauce, chicken broth). One cup is a good size for me for those. I haven't tried larger jars, but have heard you want the straighter sides (which is probably why people use wide-mouth jars above). I have a couple of round pyrex with plastic lids that are great, but probably not the most efficient use of space. I would look for rectangular ones if that was a concern.

We grow a lot of our own vegetables and fill a chest freezer since I don't want to can.  I use plastic containers made by Arrow - I got a ton of them on Amazon.  Since I have a bunch, I use them for other things that I need to freeze, too.  They only get washed 2-3x/year since I freeze produce in the summer and then only use the a couple of times before I'm ready to freeze the next year's green beans or tomatoes, but I run them through the dishwasher on the top rack and they've done fine.  They stack efficiently - the quart, pint, and 1.5 pint containers are the same footprint, just different heights, so they stack well.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happysmileylady said:

I tried glass canning jars and they just didn't work for me.

I am in LOVE with these containers.  They work for leftover storage, freezer storage, taking things for lunch, storing chicken stock, etc etc etc.  Plastic?  Yes.  But inexpensive, versatile, fridge, freezer, microwave friendly, as well as dishwasher safe.  Pluse they seal well so that they don't leak at all when used for things like taking soup to work for lunch, etc.  

I use similar containers. 

Reditainer Extreme Freeze Deli Food Containers with Lids, 16-Ounce, 36-Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HG8YTB0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.rNxBb4DFB604

I have them in 8, 16, and 32oz. Love them. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

I tried glass canning jars and they just didn't work for me.

I am in LOVE with these containers.  They work for leftover storage, freezer storage, taking things for lunch, storing chicken stock, etc etc etc.  Plastic?  Yes.  But inexpensive, versatile, fridge, freezer, microwave friendly, as well as dishwasher safe.  Pluse they seal well so that they don't leak at all when used for things like taking soup to work for lunch, etc.  

My thanks to everyone for their experiences and input!  I really like the look of these very economical containers that can be run through the dishwasher between uses. I'm sure I'll use them for lots of different things but one of my main goals is to divide up large family packages of meat. . .so I don't trust that I could wash freezer bags sufficiently between uses to keep the food safe. I don't heat in plastic but I'm comfortable freezing in it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I don't have an answer. I just want to say that in day to day life here I use pyrex for non freezer things and I hate that the plastic lids tend to crack on me. It may just be on the edge where I open them, but it makes me question how well they would seal food were I need to put them in the freezer. We have an outlet mall that sells replacement lids and such but I just think their lids could be more durable. I also wonder if the pyrex would crack at some point in my deep freeze and that's a mess I would not want to have to deal with.

FWIW, I've been using glass in the freezer for about a decade now, with no problems.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pegasus said:

My thanks to everyone for their experiences and input!  I really like the look of these very economical containers that can be run through the dishwasher between uses. I'm sure I'll use them for lots of different things but one of my main goals is to divide up large family packages of meat. . .so I don't trust that I could wash freezer bags sufficiently between uses to keep the food safe. I don't heat in plastic but I'm comfortable freezing in it.

If I am freezing raw meat, I wrap it tightly in butcher paper or freezer paper. Then it can be wrapped in aluminium foil or placed in a plastic bag.  

On 7/29/2018 at 8:29 AM, JIN MOUSA said:

We use canning jars (with single-piece plastic lids) and also Pyrex with plastic lids. We don't keep things in the freezer for a very long time, so I haven't noticed any freezer burn problems. 

I wish I could use my canning jars but several have cracked - if not while in the freezer, then during the thawing process. Now I have an odd mix of bags and plastic containers.

5 hours ago, Liz CA said:

I wish I could use my canning jars but several have cracked - if not while in the freezer, then during the thawing process. Now I have an odd mix of bags and plastic containers.

I have no idea what sort of magic-canning-jar-juju is going on at my house, but I can't remember ever having a jar crack. I only use wide mouth jars, I cool them in the fridge before moving them to the freezer, and again thaw them in the fridge before I need them. I've even used the quart size ones, which do I have shoulders. I'm sure if I had jars breaking on me, I'd be working on a different solution. 

Also, if I had a choice of magic juju at my house, I *don't* think I would have chosen canning jars...

• Like 3

Ball makes, or used to make, plastic pint containers specifically for freezer use. The lid has a groove so they stack nicely.

Recently I've started using take-out soup containers. You can get a set on Amazon if you don't regularly get take-out soup. However, I'm not sure how tight that seal is. I try to rotate through frozen food quickly, so I've never had a problem with freezer burn, but YMMV depending on how long you plan to store it. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JIN MOUSA said:

I have no idea what sort of magic-canning-jar-juju is going on at my house, but I can't remember ever having a jar crack. I only use wide mouth jars, I cool them in the fridge before moving them to the freezer, and again thaw them in the fridge before I need them. I've even used the quart size ones, which do I have shoulders. I'm sure if I had jars breaking on me, I'd be working on a different solution. 

Also, if I had a choice of magic juju at my house, I *don't* think I would have chosen canning jars...

I have not been putting them in the fridge BEFORE freezing but I thaw in the fridge. Perhaps this makes a difference. I am now also looking at plastic Ball jars.

47 minutes ago, SamanthaCarter said:

You can get square sided deli containers similar to the round ones linked above. I’m almost ready to buy a case. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/reviews/B01M06YL0L/ref=cm_cr_dp_mb_show_all_btm?ie=UTF8

Those are nice and it does make the most sense to have square containers. I use my 16oz containers the most so I would probably try a set of 16oz first. 

Edited by kitten18

A little late to the party, but I use these and have for years:Arrow Plastic 1-Quart Freezer Containers, 3-Pack - Set of 2 (Total 6 Containers) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RU38BYW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_DtlyBb060B6D4

They come in three sizes (1/2 pt, pt and qt) and all sizes use the same lid, which I love! They are dishwasher safe and of course freezer safe. 

They are harder to find than they used to be, but worth it to me even though they're a bit pricey now. They last a long time. And did I mention how much I love the fact that they all use the same lid?

Edited by Rockhopper