Menu

Am I being too sensitive?

bodiesmom

My daughter and another girl from her AHG troop planned a weekend camping trip that occurred at the beginning of June. One of the activities she created (based off one of the badge requirements) was to try and pop popcorn in a paper bag over a campfire. Although it seems like a crazy idea, it actually worked for about a 1/4 of the girls who were willing to be patient and let the kernels heat, and none of the bags burned. Shocking, I know! ?  

Anyway, during the entire time the girls were trying to pop their corn around the fire, another parent (who happens to be the troop coordinator) sat there questioning the idea in a mocking tone. She then started looking on her phone to prove that my daughter had planned it wrong. She also texted her husband about the idea and then read his response to the group (which was obviously not in support of such an idea). My daughter sat there quietly just trying to just focus on her popcorn bag. 

I wanted to say something to the leader then, but figured I was just being too sensitive due to other gripes I've had in the past with said parent. 

Fast forward to today. She posted a photo on our troop FB page of the girls all around the campfire trying earnestly to make the kernels pop. She added the caption "Popcorn in a Paper Bag Over the Fire..." which has already started to produce some "shocked" responses. 

I'm upset. Am I being too sensitive?

It sounds like she's being a jerk, or at the very least clueless. I wouldn't  say anything to the leader about the mocking tone, because that will be perceived as being too sensitive, but I would bring up the fact that it doesn't seem in the spirit of things for the adults to point out what might be wrong with their ideas (barring safety issues). The idea would be for them to discover what works on their own, wouldn't it? Bringing in the opinion of another adult who's not even there seems a bit much as well. 

I'd figure out how I wanted to word it and the point I wanted to make. If you can tie your point directly to the group itself, all the better. "In the handbook, it says to let the girls take the lead in designing activities, and to let them make their own mistakes . . . " 

I'd probably post in response exactly what you posted here: Seems like a crazy idea, but t worked for about 1/4 of the girls who were patient and let the kernels heat, and none of the bags burned! 

Some adults really need to gain maturity. 

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, Bluegoat said:

So, it actually worked - so are you sure she is meaning to be disparaging with the FB post?  

She sounds like kind of a jerk, though.

Her FB is absolutely meant to be disparaging, that I'm sure of. It is par for the course in how she typically responds to troop activity-she's definitely a criticizer, not an encourager

• Like 1

Wow - rude! ? I pop popcorn in a paper bag in the microwave all the time so this idea doesn't seem weird to me at all.  

If you have to deal with this person I would come up with a pat answer to give her every time she pulls garbage like this.  Like pause and puzzled look "Hmmm ... I don't know why you can't be supportive."   On a post like that I might say "Thanks for sharing, here is the source of the project" and link any place your daughter found that idea.  

• Like 8

FB post reply: "I know, right! I was surprised this was in the AHG handbook because it sounds so weird. I'm so proud of my daughter who is the one who actually took the time to plan this and bring the supplies and everything. It wasn't perfect, but it really worked for the kids who had the patience for it. It's so cool how scouts can let our kids try new things like this and take on leadership roles!"

That's not snarky, right? ? 

• Like 34
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, Farrar said:

FB post reply: "I know, right! I was surprised this was in the AHG handbook because it sounds so weird. I'm so proud of my daughter who is the one who actually took the time to plan this and bring the supplies and everything. It wasn't perfect, but it really worked for the kids who had the patience for it. It's so cool how scouts can let our kids try new things like this and take on leadership roles!"

This is so perfect.

• Like 3

Whether or not you think she meant the fb post negatively [the language is quite neutral IMO so it could go either way with readers], I would respond positively so at least nobody else picks up on the baditude of the poster.

I don't like the sound of that lady, but I think your daughter will be fine ... it was a character building experience for sure.  If she's big enough to plan campouts and cook popcorn in a paper bag over a fire, then she's big enough to take this lady's personality in stride.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Use this response and let us know how it goes, ok ?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Not sensitive. I’d go for Farrar’s response. I could let what she said go if it were just me, and not my kid. But it’s not just an adult, it’s your kid who had taken the inititative to plan the camping trip and meet badge requirements. I would be afraid that it would crush my kid’s enthusiasm and I would not want that to happen. 

• Like 4

I read it as she thought about it and realized it was actually pretty cool. 

Maybe she's just one of those people who like to be right, and thought she was, about the project being ill-advised. She tried to get more information to support her position.

I sorta understand that, because I'm a little like that, though I'm working on it. I never mean to be disparaging, but I am, because, well, it is unsupportive and critical when someone does this. Took me a while to get that. 

I think the above response is pretty perfect. ❤️

• Like 1

Just now, mamaraby said:

Not sensitive. I’d go for Farrar’s response. I could let what she said go if it were just me, and not my kid. But it’s not just an adult, it’s your kid who had taken the inititative to plan the camping trip and meet badge requirements. I would be afraid that it would crush my kid’s enthusiasm and I would not want that to happen. 

Not to mention, at least half the people who are Facebook friends with this woman have had similar frustrations with her.  Dealing with someone with grace, rather than the snark I tend to be inclined to, almost always pays dividends and feels right from a Christian perspective.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

I might actually use this...I'll have to sleep on it. ? 

This verbalizes exactly how I feel about this particular situation and all the others prior to this one....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chris in VA said:

I read it as she thought about it and realized it was actually pretty cool. 

Maybe she's just one of those people who like to be right, and thought she was, about the project being ill-advised. She tried to get more information to support her position.

I sorta understand that, because I'm a little like that, though I'm working on it. I never mean to be disparaging, but I am, because, well, it is unsupportive and critical when someone does this. Took me a while to get that. 

I think the above response is pretty perfect. ❤️

That's exactly it-she has to be right, and she has to have the last word, which is also why I hesitate to even respond with anything.

Thank you for your honesty, Chris! 

10 hours ago, Farrar said:

10 hours ago, SquirrellyMama said:

Use this response and let us know how it goes, ok ?

??I like this one. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bodiesmom said:

Her FB is absolutely meant to be disparaging, that I'm sure of. It is par for the course in how she typically responds to troop activity-she's definitely a criticizer, not an encourager

Sometimes with this sort of thing, I find it's best to make as if you didn't notice, and comment in that light - something like "was amazed that this worked so well".  

• Like 2