Menu

Will my child ruined if we skip Moby Dick?

Heather in VA

Heather, I let my boys listen to it on tape as they followed along in their books. I absolutely hated that book in high school...it was drudgery for me to read...but my boys LOVED it! I don't think they would have loved it if I made them read it though. :tongue_smilie: Check out your library's audio dept or see if they can get it for you from another library. ;)

Normally I'd say, don't bother reading it!! But only because there are thousands of excellent books out there, so why get hung up on this particular one. Normally, I'd say, just read the Cliff's notes, so your kids know what all the basic plot is. However, after reading the other posts, maybe try it and see if your kids like it. If they like it, keep reading, if not, get the basic facts about the book down and then pick another one of the gadzillion excellent books out there and read those. Don't forget, a lot of us homeschool just so that we can expose our kids to things we can be passionate about, not just do to things because someone tells us we have to!

If you can find a copy of the Barry Moser illustrated "Moby Dick" it will add a great deal to the experience.

Not only are the engravings masterful, but the typography is artful, large and uncrowded. It makes reading this version a pleasure, unlike many re-prints where the small type, crowded lay-out, and cheap-paper lead to eye-strain and frustration.

It is amazing what the "book-maker's" art can do to enhance the reading experience, and Moser's "Moby Dick" is a fine example.

ETA: Barry Moser also produced a "Bible" with all the same wonderful qualities of "Moby Dick". Both make reading a pleasure.

Bill (who loved Moby Dick)

No, he will not.

I read it on my own, not in school, and it wasn't the *story* that got me so much as all the natural history stuff on whales, KWIM? Bleah.

Read Cliff Notes. Or watch a movie. Then at least your dc will understand any references to MD in other works.

If you can find a copy of the Barry Moser illustrated "Moby Dick" it will add a great deal to the experience.

Not only are the engravings masterful, but the typography is artful, large and uncrowded. It makes reading this version a pleasure, unlike many re-prints where the small type, crowded lay-out, and cheap-paper lead to eye-strain and frustration.

It is amazing what the "book-maker's" art can do to enhance the reading experience, and Moser's "Moby Dick" is a fine example.

ETA: Barry Moser also produced a "Bible" with all the same wonderful qualities of "Moby Dick". Both make reading a pleasure.

Bill (who loved Moby Dick)

Bill, I didn't know there was such a book. Hmmm...I do have one more child who may need to read Moby someday. ;) As for art enhancing a book...I feel the same about Black Ships Before Troy and The Wanderings of Odysseus. The illustrated versions make the reading so much more enjoyable. I can see how the same might apply to Moby Dick...despite all the BORING whaling gobbledygook one must weed through. :tongue_smilie::D

I had to laugh at your question. I have a very clear memory of my high school American Lit teacher saying that she thought reading Moby Dick should be considered punishment. Apparently, she really, really didn't like that book! LOL

I have never read it, but I think I will. I really prefer English Lit but I have found that I like some of the "hard" books better now as an adult than I did as a teenager. For what it's worth, I have only ever put down three books in my entire life that I just couldn't endure any longer.

Good luck!

Jeannie

Bill, I didn't know there was such a book. Hmmm...I do have one more child who may need to read Moby someday. ;) As for art enhancing a book...I feel the same about Black Ships Before Troy and The Wanderings of Odysseus. The illustrated versions make the reading so much more enjoyable. I can see how the same might apply to Moby Dick...despite all the BORING whaling gobbledygook one must weed through. :tongue_smilie::D

The illustrated versions of Rosemary Sutchiff's "Homeric" works are absolutely wonderful. Alan Lee's illustrations add immeasurably to the whole experience.

Barry Moser's engravings for "Moby Dick" (and the Bible) are quite unlike the colorful fantasies of Mr Lee.

Moser's plates are black and white, and rather "grave" in tone. In their simplicity they carry a lot of emotional weight. And they seem "appropriate" to the texts despite being of modern vintage, as the technology (and style) is one from Melville's time.

But even if the edition was stripped of his art, Moser's edition has such a beautiful typographic lay-out, that it is a feast for the eyes. The font is well chosen, there is loving attention paid to page design.

This is how books ought to be made. But so few are.

Bill

You're a HOMESCHOOLER! You get to PICK!

(No, of course he won't be ruined.) (He should know the basics of the story, though. It is a cultural reference in so many other places.) (The movie is not as true to the book as you might hope, but it's really, really good. Just think of it as a separate thing that is quite enjoyable.)

this is obviously a late reply...

my dd (who is now 15) read Moby Dick as part of the LL program at 14. I'm shocked to say, she actually liked the book. She loves the style of writing of the older books...the formal-ness, iykwim. She would tell us about the book every day, explaining the situations, the characters, etc. I really respect her for reading the whole thing...

I, on the other hand, have never even thought about reading it...if I had that much time on my hands, I'd use it more wisely :tongue_smilie:!!!

I don't think skipping this one is a big deal other than there might be a certain literary focus in that section of LL that you may want to cover in another way.

hth,

Robin

I think Moby Dick is an important book to tackle. But, not the ages you have listed. American lit is typically an 11th grade course. It is appropriate at that age level. I think the symbolism would be lost on someone younger and reading an entire chapter on White would leave them frustrated (it frustrates most people anyway!!)

I'm late too, but I took an American Lit class in high school where we read The Last of the Mohicans, the Grapes of Wrath, a few others but not Moby Dick. I took yet another in college, didn't read it there either.

But we are collecting the Marvel Illustrated version of Moby Dick and here's a link if anyone else is interested:

http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?id=8189

and the amazon hardcover link:

http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Illustrated-Moby-Dick-Premiere/dp/0785123849

I will definitely check out SpyCar's recommend though as the similarly laid out Robin Hood and Ivanhoe are big hits with our ds right now.

I read Moby Dick in high school. I got through it and I feel like I am a better person because of it. There are so many sayings that I have heard people say and it came out of that book. There have been many aha moments in my life and it was due to reading that book.

I would reserve this book for high school. Not good for middle school age.

I plan on having my kids read it though. I think it is a very good classical book.

Holly

I'm late too, but I took an American Lit class in high school where we read The Last of the Mohicans, the Grapes of Wrath, a few others but not Moby Dick. I took yet another in college, didn't read it there either.

But we are collecting the Marvel Illustrated version of Moby Dick and here's a link if anyone else is interested:

http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?id=8189

and the amazon hardcover link:

http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Illustrated-Moby-Dick-Premiere/dp/0785123849

I will definitely check out SpyCar's recommend though as the similarly laid out Robin Hood and Ivanhoe are big hits with our ds right now.

Can you tell us more about the Marvel Illustrated version? It intrigues me.

Bill

The book recommended by Lightning Lit. is an abridged version of Moby Dick, if that makes you feel any better. I read the unabridged on my own and didn't like it. There are certain books that I wish I could read with someone who loves the book so I could learn from them and be inspired by them.

If it were me, I probably wouldn't skip it, because I think there are skills to be learned in persevering through a difficult book. And, maybe your ds will love it. :001_smile: