Menu

Snow day....in April

Ottakee

Almost all of the school districts around us are closed tomorrow for a snow day...actually it is more of a recover from the ice storm day.  It IS mid April.  Next week we are supposed to have temps in the 60s which will be glorious.

• Like 2

My parents had a full on blizzard on Friday, the interstates were closed down in most of the state. They live in South Dakota so cold and snow in April aren’t that uncommon, but a blizzard where you can’t see the house across the street in the middle of April is unusual. 

We have snow in our forecast today but highs in the 60’s and 70’s predicted for the rest of the week. I live far enough south where we don’t always get snow in January or February so this is quite unusual for us. 

Ice and snow yesterday, a wind chill of 12 here today.  It's unbelievable weather for mid April here.   We should see 50 by Friday then hopefully spring is here to stay.  But I thought that last week when we nearly hit 70.  I have one very sick doeling and this fluctuation in the weather is doing a number on her in stress. :(

I’m bitter. I gardened on Friday and Saturday. I think it hit the 80s. I was so happy. On Sunday we woke to the heat clicking on because we had every window open and the temps dropped so drastically. I actually saw snow flurries dancing about between the raindrops. So now I’m that crazy lady trying to cover my newly planted periennials and hoping they survive. 

We have a field trip to the national arboretum tomorrow and I’m going to need a stupid coat. 

Saturday we had sleet and little balls of ice falling from the sjky. Topped that off with wet, heavy snow on Sunday. First you had to shovel the heavy layer of snow. Then, you had to scrape the icy bits off. Today is the second time soccer practice this season was cancelled because there was snow on the ground. While we can get snow into May, it is highly unlikely. Average snow fall for this month is just over 2”, I think we’re at 6” so far.

I’m so over this weather.