Menu

Woohoo!!! My daughter was accepted to her dream school!

Liza Q

My daughter was just accepted to FIT (Fashion Institute of Technology) for Fashion Design which has been her dream for many years. I posted this about my daughter 4 years ago -

I am considering asking FIT how they view the GED, as she is the type who might so better taking the test and moving on. She spends most of her days sewing and designing and it is hard to get her to care much about her school work - she is getting A's in English and History and C's and D's in Science and MAth...I worry that she will not even get into FIT, which is a 2-yr art school, with those grades!

We've had some hoops to jump through - she didn't finish her HS work (basically dropped out of homeschooling 2 months before she would have finished in the spring of 2016), took the TASC (new GED) but got the results too late to apply for Fall 2017, and has spent the past school year part-time at community college.

I'm actually grateful for the delay, even if she is not. She has really matured over the past 2 years. She's getting A's in her classes - even Statistics! - and an internship at one place led to an actual paying job at the company that owns DKNY. She is responsible, hard-working, determined. Amazing!

She actually won't let me tell anyone about it as she hates it when our family/my friends are too much in her business. She didn't want any condolences or encouragement when she started at the CC and she doesn't want any excitement now...she makes me crazy but my husband is the same way.

But - none of you actually know us so I can come here and be as excited as I like!!!

• Like 44

That's exciting. I know with my artsy girl I was happy to find out that her art school cared less about some college requirements than other schools did. I think they're looking for passionate students, even if they are a bit over-focused on their art passion. Great news for your dd.

• Like 2

Congrats! The dd of a good friend of mine is a sophomore at FIT. This is a lovely girl who could never be persuaded to take an interest in school or academics and did the minimum to get by (to my friend's despair). She is now at FIT, happy, and doing fantastically well, now that she is in a place where she can pursue her interests. All the best to your daughter. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...