Menu

Out-of state trip with "online" friend? **UPDATE in original post.

4everHis

I have a friend abt an hour away. DS17 is excited. Definitely not a 'sexual attraction' thing. When asked what it is abt this kid that he appreciates it is that they think alike, conservativly, about girls, work, etc. Like I said, this is my more mature/open kid. He'd be our pick for power of attorney if he was older.

• Like 2

Would you mind being an emergency contact? That I don't foresee needing? Pls feel free to say no. No harm, no foul.

I don't live far from it.

Would you mind be an emergency contact? That I don't foresee needing? Pls feel free to say no. No harm, no foul. Edited by connib

We were shocked when we found out that one of my son's friends had a new girlfriend, who he met online, and had driven up to visit, 4 hours away, and stayed with her family for several days.  And he has now done it multiple times.

I also change my vote from "no way" to "maybe." :) The length of friendship, and access to mom, and the platonic nature of the friendship are strong arguments. :) I'd feel a lot better being the host, though.

Me, too. But I do have more peace.

It's interesting that we trust *our* online friends to the extent that the OP is asking a boardie here to serve as an emergency backup.

This doesn't sound shady in the least. I'm glad you posted more info, and that moms like us can adapt to new ways of social interaction. I'm excited for your son and his friend to finally be able to meet. What fun!

• Like 7

Make sure DS has the Lyft or Uber apps on his phone, maybe both just in case. Have it connected to payment and ready to go. That way if things go south he can get a ride out of there to the nearest airport or whatever. 

The Phoenix metro area is an Uber Teen test market. Not sure that they include Casa Grande (it's kind of a suburb of a suburb of a suburb), but might check.

• Like 1

No. First meeting of an online friend would occur for a few hours, in a public place, with a group. Preferably a group that includes me. There is no way I would be ok with my 17 yr old would be spending a week out of town with someone she had not met in person before. And if my 22yr old wanted to do such a thing I would strongly discourage her.

But, I have always had that sort of cautiousness. I wouldn’t even let DH come to my house to pick me up until like the 4th date or so.

:iagree:  I'd much prefer a shorter, more casual first time in-person meeting in a public place. It's a good standard to start and continue with. There are probably going to be more of these types of meetings over the course of a life-time, and setting up a safer standard of behaviour to follow makes sense to me. There is no need to jump right into a week-long stay in some stranger's house. 

Four years of texting each other is a great start to a friendship, for sure, but it still doesn't automatically mean the next step is staying together for a week in the same house. 

Edited by wintermom

Mom has made her phone, address, etc available. She happens to be President of community college & has online presence. We will be FaceTiming her at some point. Does that change things.

So yeah, that and being able to see/talk to parent and friend, etc. would make a difference.  Really it comes down to the fact that they will be 18 soon and will do this stuff anyway, maybe even riskier behavior just to "show" me they can (I did when I moved out) I don't want that.  Of course I'd probably try to talk them out of it at first because it terrifies me.  I say this knowing that, in a few years, I will be crossing the bridge so to speak since all of DD's (she's 14.5 now) friends are online and live all over the US and Canada.  She's known these kids for a year or more already. I've spoken to a couple of them and would of course have to do an extensive amount of planning with the parents but yeah, I think I will be okay with it.

• Like 1

Just because a friendship originates online as opposed to in person would not be an automatic no for me.

Identity of person should be verified, friendship should be long term and not a recent acquaintance.

FWIW, I allowed my 16 y/o to travel out of state to meet a friend she had met online and with whom she had been in regular contact over the course of years.

I would not hesitate to travel to visit certain users on this board with whom I had established a connection over the course of the years.

Back in the day, we had pen pals whom we only knew from letters.

My son's best man at his wedding is one he met online while gaming. They've done other real life things but mostly their relationship is maintained online. The young man is incredibly funny and smart and my son couldn't have found a better guy to stand in for him. So I wouldn't say no as an automatic but if I felt certain that the person is credible then my decision would come down to if my child was mature enough to handle that kind of trip.

• Like 2

I met my husband online - from another country. He came to me first, but the online component is there.

And at 17, my teeny-tiny, gets mistaken for a child in restaurants because she looks so young niece moved 10+ hours (driving time) away from home (small 5 traffic light city) to go to college in a major city.

With that in mind, and proper due diligence, I'd have no problem letting a 17 year old boy travel to meet a friend.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

For those who remember this trip. DS17 had a wonderful time. The mom totally kept me in the loop with text and pictures. They are all talking about future get togethers.  I thought I had total peace about the trip until DH text to let me know he'd picked up DS17 at airport. I sort of lost it at that point. =)   In this case, I think we made the right choice. Thanks again for all of your advice, thoughts and prayers.

• Like 3