Menu

I hate my glasses....

SparklyUnicorn

I have been wondering the same thing. I had to get new glasses late last year and they are so heavy! My nose hurts by the end of the day. I am going to shop around and see if I can find some lighter frames, but I don't hold much hope as usually the lighter frames won't hold the stronger prescriptions.  Just FYI, there is nothing at Target, that's where I got the pair I am wearing now. Costco doesn't fill for prescriptions stronger than -10. Let me know if you find anything and were you find it.

They are only lightweight to a point. I have a very strong prescription and by necessity they get thicker and heavier as you add strength, making the lightest weight lenses heavy.

DH has a strong prescription, and the top lenses are not too heavy or thick, just a lot more expensive than the standard poly ones

• Like 2

DH has a strong prescription, and the top lenses are not too heavy or thick, just a lot more expensive than the standard poly ones

These are my glasses. They are high index lenses, which are thinner than polycarbonate. They are heavy, no matter which way I look at it. The only way to decrease the weight at this point is to find lighter weight frames. 

8x24vm.jpg

SaveSave

• Like 1

They are only lightweight to a point. I have a very strong prescription and by necessity they get thicker and heavier as you add strength, making the lightest weight lenses heavy.

That hasn't been my experience, and I have terrible vision. My high-index lenses are still pretty thick but I definitely wouldn't call them "heavy."

That hasn't been my experience, and I have terrible vision. My high-index lenses are still pretty thick but I definitely wouldn't call them "heavy."

It's possible you have lighter frames. Of course, the word "heavy" is open to interpretation, too. What seems heavy to me might not seem heavy to you. Or, just maybe, my lenses and frames really are heavier than yours. Does it really matter? The thread is about glasses for people with strong prescriptions and looking for comfortable glasses. We can all share our experiences. 

• Like 2

I got several pairs from Zenni recently. All have the same lenses but the comfort difference among them is amazing - & it's all due to frame weight. 

The lightest ones I got are these : https://www.zennioptical.com/p/plastic-rectangle-eyeglass-frames-/20183?skuId=2018317

12 g with no lenses.  It really makes a difference. 

You can shop by feature on Zenni. Pick your frame style then select :feature" from drop down menu underneath & click lightweight. 

There are 2 grades of hi-index lenses; 1.67 & 1.74. There is an amazing difference in weight/thickness between the two. My prescription is in the -13 range and my glasses aren't nearly as thick as the picture from TechWife. Anybody over -8 should go for the 1.74, it's totally worth the extra money.

Edited by CinV
  • Like 4

There are 2 grades of hi-index lenses; 1.67 & 1.74. There is an amazing difference in weight/thickness between the two. My prescription is in the -13 range and my glasses aren't nearly as thick as the picture from TechWife. Anybody over -8 should go for the 1.74, it's totally worth the extra money.

Mine are in the -13 range on one eye and -15 range on the other. I am not sure if mine are 1.67 or 1.74 - it sounds like they might be 1.67. I'll check into this - thank you for the info! Do you remember where you got the 1.74 lenses? 

ETA: Does correcting for astigmatism change the thickness/weight of lenses? Not that it matters, really, I have to correct for it. I'm just curious. 

Edited by TechWife

I wear rimless glasses --just the nosepiece and the ear parts. I think they are called Silhouttes. I also use polycarbonate. A pair runs about $1000 (with exam) and I wear them for 2 years. I have terrible sinus problems and I find that reducing the weight on my nose actually helps.

How strong is your prescription? When I looked into rimless glasses, I was told by multiple different places that they wouldn't support my prescription. I'm wondering if there is something about this brand that makes it possible. 

Mine are in the -13 range on one eye and -15 range on the other. I am not sure if mine are 1.67 or 1.74 - it sounds like they might be 1.67. I'll check into this - thank you for the info! Do you remember where you got the 1.74 lenses?

ETA: Does correcting for astigmatism change the thickness/weight of lenses? Not that it matters, really, I have to correct for it. I'm just curious.

I went to a local MyEyeDr shop. I have astigmatism and progressive lenses also, that shouldn't change the weight. When my youngest son got to the -8 area, we changed his lenses to the 1.74 from the 1.67 and saw a huge difference in the thickness.
  • Like 1

Zenni carries 1.74 btw 

I just kind of gasp in horror at the $ being spent on glasses. I get it. I've worn glasses since I was 13. I've dropped a ton of money on them but no more. I have astigmatism and now I'm in progressives & still I get them online. Occasionally I try on glasses in stores & surreptitiously note down measurements of a frame I like & then I find a dupe for it online. Even if I end up with a pair I don't love once in a while, it's still so much cheaper. I can have a bunch of pairs for different looks/activities. 

anyway.... Zenni has an article on lenses & links to a calculator which will show you how much of a difference the high index lenses will make. https://www.zennioptical.com/blog/get-thinnest-lenses-prescription/

• Like 2

yes...they are called bifocal contacts.  seriously, even with the lightweight lenses, I was still getting marks on the nose.

after that....prk ...you'll need glasses after as it doesn't cancel aging, but they won't be so heavy that they digg n to your skin....

I wear contacts, BUT with my allergies sometimes I just can't tolerate them.  I absolutely hate my glasses.  *sigh*

Zenni carries 1.74 btw 

I just kind of gasp in horror at the $ being spent on glasses. I get it. I've worn glasses since I was 13. I've dropped a ton of money on them but no more. I have astigmatism and now I'm in progressives & still I get them online. Occasionally I try on glasses in stores & surreptitiously note down measurements of a frame I like & then I find a dupe for it online. Even if I end up with a pair I don't love once in a while, it's still so much cheaper. I can have a bunch of pairs for different looks/activities. 

anyway.... Zenni has an article on lenses & links to a calculator which will show you how much of a difference the high index lenses will make. https://www.zennioptical.com/blog/get-thinnest-lenses-prescription/

I'm with you on paying so much for glasses.  I have the high index lenses. 

Mine are in the -10 and -12 range. I buy the 1.74 and just budget for my glasses like it's a damn wedding or something every year. 

What helps me with the pressure on my nose and temples is to rotate my frames. So when it's important that I see (driving, working) I wear my  most current prescription. When I'm just doing dishes or something less important I switch out for my "last year's" frames. The frames are different styles and "wear" differently on my face. I purposely choose frames that differ from year to year - some with nose pieces, some without, etc. 

It sucks, but it keeps me from getting headaches or face aches. Good luck to you, I wish there was a magic fix for us both!

• Like 2

I am at about -11, and this year I went to a new eye doctor and ended up with the thinnest, lightest glasses I have had in years.

BUT, I got prescription sunglasses at the same time, and since they are polarized, they are the old thicker (like polycarbonate) size, which I never particularly minded, not thinking I had a choice, but now I hate putting them on because they are so much heavier than the regular ones.

Mine are in the -10 and -12 range. I buy the 1.74 and just budget for my glasses like it's a damn wedding or something every year. 

What helps me with the pressure on my nose and temples is to rotate my frames. So when it's important that I see (driving, working) I wear my  most current prescription. When I'm just doing dishes or something less important I switch out for my "last year's" frames. The frames are different styles and "wear" differently on my face. I purposely choose frames that differ from year to year - some with nose pieces, some without, etc. 

It sucks, but it keeps me from getting headaches or face aches. Good luck to you, I wish there was a magic fix for us both!

I held onto a pair for a very long time specifically because they were more comfortable.  My new ones aren't.  Those old ones are totally spent though.  I have yet to find a place that is willing to put lenses in my old frames though.  Frustrating.  I paid mega bugs for those frames too (they are titanium) so they probably will last for almost forever.  But nope, nobody will do it! 

I wear contacts, BUT with my allergies sometimes I just can't tolerate them.  I absolutely hate my glasses.  *sigh*

Daily lenses have made all the difference for me with contacts and allergies. Now that my eyes are under control I'm using Hubble, which are less expensive dailies, but the Acuview dailies are better. WaY more expensive though. 

I held onto a pair for a very long time specifically because they were more comfortable.  My new ones aren't.  Those old ones are totally spent though.  I have yet to find a place that is willing to put lenses in my old frames though.  Frustrating.  I paid mega bugs for those frames too (they are titanium) so they probably will last for almost forever.  But nope, nobody will do it! 

They don't seem to have that skillset anymore.

DH got replacement lenses for a pair of glasses to turn them into sunglasses, and the lenses kept falling out.  After 3 repairs, he gave up.

Whereas when I got my first pair of glasses as a kid, I had those same frames for 6 years, with increasingly strong lenses in them as my eyes got worse.

• Like 1

I have been wondering the same thing. I had to get new glasses late last year and they are so heavy! My nose hurts by the end of the day. I am going to shop around and see if I can find some lighter frames, but I don't hold much hope as usually the lighter frames won't hold the stronger prescriptions. Just FYI, there is nothing at Target, that's where I got the pair I am wearing now. Costco doesn't fill for prescriptions stronger than -10. Let me know if you find anything and were you find it.

A smaller frame that needs smaller lenses makes the total weight lighter. And get the ridiculously priced thinner lenses. Mine are only 6.5. I got cute, very light frames at Visionworks. Their lenses are my favorite (NOT cheap, I need the fancy progressive lenses now because Old.)
  • Like 1

Daily lenses have made all the difference for me with contacts and allergies. Now that my eyes are under control I'm using Hubble, which are less expensive dailies, but the Acuview dailies are better. WaY more expensive though. 

It's hard for me to find a brand that has my strength (dailies).  In fact my choices in contacts is limited period.  Which is odd because you'd think someone with especially bad vision would particularly like contacts! 

I wear the two week ones.  I have mostly been wearing them if I go out and I wear the glasses at home.

You know, I went and looked into this again.  I did find a brand of dailies in my prescription.  I'm gonna give this a try!

• Like 2