Menu

Buying a new fridge

Mimm

Can you tell me about living with one of those fridges with the freezer on the bottom? I think we want one. Should I get one with the two doors that open in the middle on top for the fridge area, or one door? I know it's a boring thread, but if you're in the mood to talk about fridges, give me your experience? :)

This is my first refrigerator that has the freezer on the bottom, and I really like it!   We have a tricky space, so the one that fits best here is the french door type.  The only thing I cared about was having the freezer on the bottom...not having to bend over to get to all the milk cartons is great!   And so far I haven't found a negative to having the french doors.     

The only possible negative I can think of to having the bottom freezer is that I just have to make sure that our nosey big dog isn't standing next to me when I open it up.  But that only matters if you don't want doggie breath on your ice cubes.  

We've had it for about 4 years.    It's a KitchenAid very close to this model:

http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/-[KRFF302EBS]-5815097/KRFF302EBS/

• Like 1

We have the bottom freezer and overall I like it. I do think it’s more difficult to keep organized than a traditional freezer, but you can. Ours has two drawers, a not very deep one on top with the ice bin and a deep drawer on the bottom. They open at the same time and then you slide the top drawer back. Ours only came with one divider, to separate the bigger drawer. I bought a couple baskets that help keep things organized. Specifically for preparing freezer meals and cakes I find the drawer freezer is not ideal. We do have an upright deep freeze in the garage I can use for those though.

French doors vs a single door is probably personal preference. We have French doors and my inlaws have a single door and I think both fridges are equally functional.

I hope that helps!

We have that style and I like the style, just not happy with our particular brand (LG, lots of issues, see the repair people more than my own mother). The freezer space wouldn't be enough for our family if we didn't have an additional freezer in the garage, but I like all the space in the fridge. I would get the style again but a different brand.

This is ours, or perhaps a newer version of it:

http://www.lg.com/us/refrigerators/lg-LFX33975ST-french-3-door-refrigerator

I would second the feeling about the LG brand. It’s horrible. I can’t wait to get different one. I have never been so unhappy with a fridge. However, my mom has the French doors and bottom freezer and I love hers (not LG)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had to replace our frig within the past year. I liked the idea of the bottom freezer, but I did not like the price!  I also wondered how I would ever manage to keep things even semi-organized in there or if I would loose things. We went with the french door side-by-side. I like the shelves and basket in my freezer, but I wish it were slightly wider. 

We got a Whirlpool - and this one is slightly noisier than our last Whirlpool. I'm not sure why. It isn't overly loud - just slightly more noise that the other. I think I'm the only one who notices because I like quiet.

I was just looking into this yesterday.  Someday, I plan to get a fridge with the french doors on top AND french doors on the bottom.  I had a freezer drawer in our other house and it worked perfectly fine for that house, but in our current home, we have an island sitting next to the fridge and I would always have to stand on the side of the freezer in order to get into it.  Also, the french doors on the bottom seem like they have a better way to organize food into shelves and interior drawers.   But, if I didn't have this configuration in my kitchen, the drawer at the bottom worked perfectly fine and the cost is better.  Still, it's an expensive refrigerator.  I figure by the summer I will have saved up enough for it.  

Is it weird to look into a new fridge even if your old one still works?  It's just not big enough for our family and side by side fridge/freezer just doesn't handle the amount of food I have to shove in there for our family (we like fruit and vegetables).  Also, the water line freezes when it changes from mild to cold outside temperatures here.  I have NO IDEA what the connection is.  Am I totally wasteful?

This is my first refrigerator that has the freezer on the bottom, and I really like it!   We have a tricky space, so the one that fits best here is the french door type.  The only thing I cared about was having the freezer on the bottom...not having to bend over to get to all the milk cartons is great!   And so far I haven't found a negative to having the french doors.     

The only possible negative I can think of to having the bottom freezer is that I just have to make sure that our nosey big dog isn't standing next to me when I open it up.  But that only matters if you don't want doggie breath on your ice cubes.  

We've had it for about 4 years.    It's a KitchenAid very close to this model:

http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/-[KRFF302EBS]-5815097/KRFF302EBS/

:laugh: Our dogs try to nose around in there, too!

When we had little puppies and kittens, I always worried that one of them would scoot in behind the freezer drawer when it was open and then get shut in there. Our whole family was trained to check before they shut the door.

Correct me if I'm wrong...?

But when we were shopping for a new fridge 2-3 years ago, the ones with a bottom freezer but just one door on top - the freezers were not drawer freezers, but just a door - as if they just flipped the traditional/standard fridges.

So, we went for the French door on top, freezer drawer on bottom. I got a Kenmore, which is probably not a good idea since Sears isn't doing so well now, but I LOVED it (past tense, we sold our house and LEFT THE FRIDGE!). I don't know if it was just the size of that particular one, but I felt I could fit ANYTHING in that fridge, in terms of different sized pans or trays or what have you.

Loved it, miss it. Now we have the older french door half and half. S'no good. (But it works, I should be grateful.)

I think our Samsung French door, freezer on the bottom is almost 5 years old and it's been great (it makes strange noises from time to time--that's the only thing I can think of that people might not like. We ignore it.) It replaced an old side-by-side, and both the refrigerator and the freezer hold so much more than our previous unit. Love it.

Correct me if I'm wrong...?

But when we were shopping for a new fridge 2-3 years ago, the ones with a bottom freezer but just one door on top - the freezers were not drawer freezers, but just a door - as if they just flipped the traditional/standard fridges.

So, we went for the French door on top, freezer drawer on bottom. I got a Kenmore, which is probably not a good idea since Sears isn't doing so well now, but I LOVED it (past tense, we sold our house and LEFT THE FRIDGE!). I don't know if it was just the size of that particular one, but I felt I could fit ANYTHING in that fridge, in terms of different sized pans or trays or what have you.

Loved it, miss it. Now we have the older french door half and half. S'no good. (But it works, I should be grateful.)

My inlaws fridge is 8-10 years old (can’t remember when they moved) and it has a drawer on bottom with one door on top. I think they had to really look around for it.

We have the Samsung French Door refrigerator and I hate it.  It has so many problems.  I do like having the freezer on the bottom, and the refrigerator has lots of space.  The freezer is like a toy box where everything just sinks to the bottom and I can't find anything (difficult to organize as a PP said).  It does have a top drawer in the freezer, which makes it a little easier but I'll never buy a Samsung again.  

I love having my freezer as a drawer on the bottom.  I had french doors on top with a Kitchen Aid that died the week before Christmas; the landlord replaced it with another french door, freezer drawer on the bottom, but a Samsung with water and ice dispenser on door.  I would have saved the money and not gotten the dispensers on the door because they take up some of the refrigerator space if I were choosing.

I got a fridge with the freezer on the bottom and the french doors on top and I love it. Love it! Everything is so easy to get to and easy to see. The drawer has a top drawer that slides back so you can see beneath it to more storage space. It’s been a year and every now and then I look dreamily at my fridge and tell it, “I love you!†The honeymoon isn’t over yet, I suppose.