Menu

I'm overwhelmed! (sorry so long)

kindermommy

Will the researching and feelings of uncertainity EVER end? This is my first year HS, and I had planned to go with a open-and-go/prepared/structured curriculum (because I KNOW me, and that's what I NEED), but after MONTHS of research I could never just DECIDE! So when August rolled around, (and I was still in analysis paralysis), I decided to try and just ease the pressure (of the decision making) and piece together my own curriculum, subject by subject until I could decide on just ONE curriculum.

But I feel like I am falling to pieces. Instead of getting easier, or easing the pressure, as I had intended, this "piecing" is making me crazy. I can't do it any longer. I'm admitting (for the first time, to anyone) that we haven't done more than 20 days of school in 3 months!!!!! And it's not because I am lazy. The kids love it when we do stuff. But my time is very limited (I work part time) and I'm just spending too much time picking through stuff - having 5 or 6 different books to pull from is just making me crazy. I wear out each day before I can get anything accomplished!!! AND I'm *STILL* researching ALL the time for the *ONE*. (and in the meantime find all these other things I like and TRY them!! PE curriculum!!! Spanish!!!! Cooking!!!! Music!!!!! ARGH!)

BTW, my DD is only in Kinder. I do not want to overload her and I really WANT to just use something basic for the 3 R's and be done (maybe read some great books to get in History and Science). But it just doesn't seem like enough for HER. She is interested in EVERYTHING and retains EVERYTHING and wants to DO EVERYTHING. She is full of questions about SO many different things and I feel like I am cheating her if I don't try to "fill her bucket". It's amazing and definitely a blessing, but I put pressure on myself to do it ALL for her, because she CAN and WILL enjoy/learn/do it. (just an FYI, DS is VERY DIFFERENT - so it really is just her and not just a Type A overachiever Mother LOL - I won't feel the pressure with him at all - I will have to twist his arm to learn anything I think!!! LOL)

Anyway, so I am "starting" school in January - FOR REAL. I am going to finally buy something, pack EVERYTHING else away so I am not distracted or tempted and just DO the ONE main curriculum for the next 5 months. In May I will allow myself to start looking again :)

I will keep RightStart for Math and continue Headsprout for phonics reinforcement/practice. Also, we just bought All About Spelling (she is always questioning why words are spelled certain ways!) and it seems easy enough (simple manual, not overwhelming).

FWIW, for reading/phonics I have WP Adv K and a lot of readers (Nora Gaydos, BOB books) but I don't really love any of it. Someone let me borrow SWR, but I am super overwhelmed trying to wrap my head around that right now (but I wish I COULD - it seems like a GREAT choice) Maybe the DVD would help? Anyway for now we just do AAS.

So I need something meaty, and all planned out for me for *everything else*. History is important to me and DD loves to be read to, so that is good. Science is a VERY VERY high level interest area for her so I want that too.

So, do you think Sonlight is a good choice for meaty and complete?? I think it is either that or WinterPromise AW OR MBTP OR Heart of Dakota Beyond (she places easily in that program on the chart on the website)

I also like TOG, but I think that would be too hard to take on at this stage. SOTW w/activity guide looks great too, but that's just History, so I think I need to pick one of the above...

BTW, we also have HWOT, that frankly is one of the things that gives me the biggest headache - the TM is just too much for me - it's mean to be helpful I know and It seems very developmentally appropriate, but frankly the visual style and organization of the manual makes me NUTS. I am flipping all over the place trying to find this and that. I hate it. But I think the style, methodology and "extras" (gray block paper, 2 lined paper, etc) is great, so maybe I should just ditch the TM (save the few copies that tell me how to teach the strokes) and use the workbooks only?

Double apologies for this getting so long - I tried to shorten it! :) :) I know I must sound like a crazy lady who is just all over the place right now, but that's probably because that's how I feel!!!! I'm my own worst enemy...I make things harder than they need to be, but I don't know how to NOT do that! :)

Edited by kindermommy
forgot something! Ha!

I'm not going to be helpful, here, but. . . . . .

:grouphug:

Wait. Here's another one.

You're going to be fine. It's ok, really it is. She's FIVE YEARS OLD. She needs her Mommy to read stories to her, to cook with her, teach her simple chores, help her obey cheerfully, and enjoy the wonder of nature.

You have many, many years ahead of you. Don't run at a sprint pace the first quarter-mile of a marathon!

One more :D

my name is kay and i'm a recovering curriculum junkie.... here's my advice:

keep math, phonics, spelling and handwriting. we use AAS and HWOT. i religiously use the TM for AAS and never use the TM for HWOT so feel free to junk that.

for science and history, go to the library! for that age, that's all you need. a library card and a comfy couch covers history and science. get the $20 membership to enchantedlearning.com and you'll have tons of things to print out for her to do. there's also plenty of free online sites for crafts, coloring pages that she can do after you read to her.

if she wants more, check out signing time (ASL dvds) or hola amigo (spanish dvds).

if you want to splurge for discovery streaming, there's elementary spanish, math monsters, mathica, and tons of history/science videos you can download. the beauty of those is that you get enough time to fold a load of laundry!

HTH

I have a Ker, and I feel like you every other day. :grouphug:

Breathe. This is how I have been getting a handle on things. Set aside t.i.m.e each day for the 3r's. Plan on Friday afternoon for the next week. Commit to working with what you've got for a few months before looking around and planning long-term again.

There is SO MUCH neat stuff out there for is HSers! It's overwhelming! FWIW - I have yet to see a science curriculum that beats reading library books and playing outside, for this age range anyway.

It's going to be fine.

Take a deep breath. OK.

The basics are:

Writing

Reading

Numbers

Bible, if you're Christian

The extras are:

Everything else.

So just say that you're having a good day if you have done handwriting, reading instruction, reading to her, including Bible if appropriate, and math.

Maybe try SOTW 1, but go through it very slowly, using library books recommended by the AG for your Read Alouds some days. Use the coloring pages, and do the map work, but make it fun. BTW, the IR book recommendations in the SOTW1 AG are GREAT for emerging readers. They might be just the thing for your DD to read to you.

Make sure that she has plenty of art supplies, and maybe let her use the Draw Right Now books--they are very simple to follow and let kids her age do pretty good drawings.

For science, maybe use Magic School Bus books--one or two per day. Read them to her over and over. Kids love that at this age.

That's IT!

If you don't have a lot of time, I don't see any reason to go with AAS or SRW--those are pretty teacher intensive, and she is really young to be learning spelling anyway. AAS is the easier one of the two, but I wouldn't push it at this age--just do a little bit if you feel she wants to.

The main thing is that she learns how to read really, really well, and practices that.

For math, whatever you think is best, just do it at the time of the day that works best for her. For my DD, that was anytime before about 11AM.

I would also make up flash cards of the 500 most common words in the English language and start practicing with them--they need to become sight words in order for her to develop fluency.

Thanks everyone for the fast replies and trying to bring me back down to Earth!

As for not sprinting the first quarter mile, well, unfortunately that's my style. I power out of the gate on most things, but lose steam midway because I wear myself out :( :( ( My biggest problem is that let's say I decide to add "a little Spanish", then I feel like I have to research EVERYTHING to find the best one. I make myself nuts doing this, but it's my obsessive personality at trying/looking at it all before I can pick anything. What if I miss something? You should see me shop for cars. Of course I usually become a mini-expert on whatever I am "looking for" at the moment, but it is exhausting because I do not act on "impulse" for ANYTHING. Every step of a vacation must be planned out, the schoolroom is never good enough so is constantly rearranged, I hate surprise parties or surprise guests (hubby has a bad habit of inviting people over at the last minute and I get SO ruffled!)

And I also know she is only 5 (well, she'll be 6 January 10th). But she seems so much older in so many ways. She is READY for so much than the typical 5 year old that I don't want to short change her in any way :) And she constantly ASKS for more than I seem to be able to give her or have time for (in Science, Reading, Spelling, EVERYTHING)! Lately she is begging to learn piano! We can't afford lessons right now, so I've been researching curriculum (at least to get her started) Oh, and they still do not know how to swim and we can't afford lessons for that either, so I bought a book on that too that I need to read and implement???? Ugh. No pressure really!

Ok, I will keep my AAS manual (we started AAS to use to teach phonics mainly for now (phonograms) but she also asks and loves to write/spell words correctly), my RS math manual and our readers out and then pack EVERYTHING else away, including the HWOT TM (thank you Kay for permission to do junk it!). I think not SEEING all that stuff will help so much (out of sight out of mind).

Although I don't want to spend alot of time looking for worksheets or printables on the computer - so I need to pick ONE site and stick with it if I do it at all, because frankly the computer is a bit of a problem for me. Having to sit down and research on the computer often turns into a marathon and I can't seem to help it!

BUT, I already went no mail on ALL my yahoo groups but one (and wow, I haven't even remembered to go check them, so I guess I'm not missing it!) and I'm going to un-bookmark every HS site but this one (I can't go completely cold turkey!!!!)

I will also check out books from the library and do an occasional lapbook IF we have time. She loves Sid the Science Kid (loves loves loves) so we'll do that for Science for now.

We'll also do an art project once a week (she LOVEs art, so much so that Santa is bringing her an HUGE art basket) and luckily I found a great blog that I pull ideas from that are super fun. We can also cook when the mood strikes, and play outside games when the weather is good.

Thanks for the encouragement. I know it will get better - it already is somewhat better in some ways than it was 6 months ago, but it does seem never ending!

I completely understand how you feel! I share a lot of your frustrations. I, too, want to know that the curriculum I'm using for my girls is the most perfect possible. And my dd is only 4! Haha. She sounds a lot like your daughter. I have projects and worksheets, etc. for her to do and she finishes them quickly and says "Mommy, what else do you have for me to do?" :001_huh:

We are using HWOT and I'm not using the manual at all, and she is learning everything fine. I have to keep telling myself that it's not rocket science. :lol:

We are using Five in a Row right now and I plan to do that until she's partways through her kindergarten year. Each week we go to the library and check out books and maybe a video that go with that week's theme. I try to cook a related meal once a week also. So far it's been great, we're 7 weeks in and she has enjoyed all the books so far.

I'm leaning toward starting Tapestry of Grace/SOTW with her once we're done with FIAR. It might be overkill, but I like the idea of having a lot of choices even if there's no way we can do them all.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know you aren't alone! And I hope that you feel some curriculum peace soon! :grouphug:

Just wanted to reiterate the breathing part.

I'd focus on math and phonics. Maybe just phonics.

Read outloud and employ some books on tape. Memorize simple songs, poems and stories.

Take some time to educate yourself about education and then start picking curriculum. Your educational philosophy will be an auto curriculum sorter. You don't need a fancy or complete curriculum. You could focus on field trips, hands on activities and some basics while you figure out what direction you are going. All the best!

Thanks Lisa and lovelearnandlive :)

that part about "educating yourself about education" - I hate to admit but I was an elementary PS teacher for 10 years! LOL But really, educating your own children at home is like starting all over again. It's a different "animal". No curriculum is picked out and forced upon me like in PS and I really am grateful for that! But it's hard to get used to and it's a little scary! (but I'll get there I know it)

I really like FIAR - I actually tried it (borrowed from a friend) but wasn't sure it was enough. But now I think I didn't give it the chance it deserves. It definitely fills my need for fine literature and discussion without being too time consuming. I wouldn't do the Sci/SS stuff though. I just want literature and discussion questions......

Tapesty of Grace looks nice too - considering it for First Grade, but am a bit worried about it being too much for DS (he'll be Kinder). I actually do like having choices too, but I like for them all to be in one place :D. SOTW looks nice too - so maybe that if TOG is too much? We'll see, I'll try not to worry about that too much at this point.

Thanks again :)

First - Breathe. really.

Next does she read? I didn't see where you said whether or not she reads.

My strategy for my super-interested, highly involved, loves everything, wants to know everything, dd in kindergarten was to focus on learning through real experiences. Books are a great way to learn, but a child needs real experiences in order to ground all of that information that will be aquired later.

My main goal was to get my dd to the point in schoolin' where she could learn on her on without killing her desire to learn. Everything in the world can be taught in time except for the desire to learn. Kids are born with curiosty and imagination. Those are their two big advantages in this world for learning.

With that simple goal in mind, I focused academically on getting my dd to the point where she was reading independently. This involved lots of me reading to her as well as short reading lessons, short phonics lessons, and lots of LeapFrog videos. After she was happily reading short chapter books, I turned my attention to her math. Once she could add and substract and do word problems, I turned my attention to her writing - handwriting, spelling, composition. So now that she is in second grade, she reads well and daily, she does math well and daily, and is working on writing and spelling. SImple plan.

Yes, that isn't everything. She loves history. SOTW and the activity guide taken at half pace or slower with lots of picture books and crafts is great for kindergarten. Little ones love egypt and mummies and such. That leaves first grade for the second half of SOTW and the Romans.

Kindy science is easy and fun. We went to the zoo for a picnic lunch once or twice a week. We would have lunch with an animal and really spend time noticing that animal and talking about its habitat, food, shelter, adapations. Then we would go to the library and find books that interested her.

Now you can add in something like a math art book and cover great things. Teach her to finger knit. For music, how about a recorder? Listen to classical music and learn who the composer it. Get a good book of poetry and read a poem with afternoon tea once a week.

This is the time to read together, grow a garden, go to a museum, go to the park, go to the firestation, go to the post office, watch the trashman, go to the animal shelter, grow a frog, grow a butterfly, hatch an egg, raise ladybugs, watch spiders, finger paint, dig a big hole, make a rope swing, learn to swim, take a hike, visit a pioneer museum, learn to cook, learn to sew, watch a river flow into a sea, watch a road being built, watch a draw bridge, learn to ride a bike.

From my experience--

Plan to focus on reading readyness/reading/phonics (whatever you wish to call it), begin some handwriting, introductory math at what ever level you think is appropriate, time for drawing-both independent and with you (through this you can introduce colors, shapes and such as needed), and lots of read alouds (these will allow you to introduce science, nature study, history, fiction, fairy tales-what ever you may need). A nice natural progression from the read alouds is to begin some narration or having the child retell the story in their own words. From this basis you can move onto a discussion of the story, nothing formal-just a conversation that you may offer some prompts or questions about the reading. Once you are both comfortable you can add in all the other subjects.

At the K stage don't forget time at the playground, backyard etc. they still need to move! You could even time library trips to story hour.

Relax, have fun, and don't worry so much it will be fine.

You mentioned Sonlight. If you don't like flipping through lots of books and lots of material Sonlight probably isn't a good option. It is meaty and can be enjoyable but there is ALOT of material to work with and they are very honest about the time involved per day. We personally love their science and will use a couple of years of their science during elementary years

Couple of suggestions.....I put all our daily books in a storage container on the bookshelf....eliminates hunting for books.....for K age that would be your phonics, math, and handwriting( skip the TM for hWT.lol). If she likes AAS add it to the mix or alternate phonics/spelling on different days. Whatever works best for you. Get in the habit of working on these items at a specific time each day. Everything else is extra! We really enjoyed FIAR for K and you could work through a book this spring....if you wanted too. But just getting in the habit of daily "school-time" with phonics, math and handwriting.....and spending some time answering her questions/following her lead would be more than enough. I kept a list of their interests at this age and would pick up books at the library during our next visit......or we would just do a search on the 'net to answer any pertinent questions.

Allow yourself time to get in a workable routine with the material you are currently using and enjoying. Don't research or worry about next year ....don't worry about what else you could be doing....what you think you might be missing, etc. until you have a workable routine that isn't driving you nuts. If you get in a workable routine with the basics this year it will be easier to add in History and Science next year and then eventually all the other extras.

HTH

She's just kindergarten age. You don't need to agonize over this. Really.

My advice would be to keep RightStart for Math, and use SWR. Drop everything else. Go to the library once a week. Take an ocassional field trip. Read good children's books aloud to her, just because they're good. Breathe in, breathe out.:D

While these programs can be good they can also be TOO MUCH.

When I first started homeschooling I purchased WAY TOO many programs. Luckliy my sister stepped up and helped me sort things out. I learned how to say 'that looks like a good program--but we are NOT going to do it'. Learning to say 'no' or look the other way was a huge step--but it was freedom!

I ended up nearly un-schooling my dds when they were little. They had a Math program that I got out about 3 times a week and a phonics/reading workbook. I printed off my own handwriting sheets using their Awana verses or sentences from their reading.

We read LOTS of books and I would check out LOTS of library books for Science and History (picture type).

I let them play educational computer games (they loved the Jumpstart series).

School lasted less than 2 hours total a day-- 3-4 times a week.

When my middle dd wanted to try PS in 4th grade she ended up making a PERFECT score on the standardized test--and was in the top reading group for her class--absolutely no problems--but she came back home the next year because she was BORED!.

Life was sooooo much better when I learned to relax and concentrated on teaching my children HOW to learn--and took my focus off of making them learn 'facts'.

Don't forget that play is learning. Imagination, puzzles, games, jump rope, running around and making you crazy :). Enjoy and have fun. They would never take the time to answer all her questions in school. You'll be pleased to know that reading through curriculum and having a million great ideas is always a fun sport. You can do it for years. I find the getting organized and completing it all is the hard part for me. We're there with you!

You mentioned Sonlight. If you don't like flipping through lots of books and lots of material Sonlight probably isn't a good option. It is meaty and can be enjoyable but there is ALOT of material to work with and they are very honest about the time involved per day. We personally love their science and will use a couple of years of their science during elementary years

Couple of suggestions.....I put all our daily books in a storage container on the bookshelf....eliminates hunting for books.....for K age that would be your phonics, math, and handwriting( skip the TM for hWT.lol). If she likes AAS add it to the mix or alternate phonics/spelling on different days. Whatever works best for you. Get in the habit of working on these items at a specific time each day. Everything else is extra! We really enjoyed FIAR for K and you could work through a book this spring....if you wanted too. But just getting in the habit of daily "school-time" with phonics, math and handwriting.....and spending some time answering her questions/following her lead would be more than enough. I kept a list of their interests at this age and would pick up books at the library during our next visit......or we would just do a search on the 'net to answer any pertinent questions.

Allow yourself time to get in a workable routine with the material you are currently using and enjoying. Don't research or worry about next year ....don't worry about what else you could be doing....what you think you might be missing, etc. until you have a workable routine that isn't driving you nuts. If you get in a workable routine with the basics this year it will be easier to add in History and Science next year and then eventually all the other extras.

HTH

:iagree::iagree: I loved the idea of Sonlight for 3 years, and have bought and sold it twice!! I totally agree about the flipping and the amount of time it takes, and personally it was not for me. It seems good in theory, but was actually overwhelming for me, because if I didn't "get it all done" I felt like a failure, that we were behind, etc.. I do really love their books though, so I have been able to get a ton of them cheap on here and at several thrift stores and even Goodwill! If you can do that and get a cheap used IG that might help you. But honestly, the comprehension questions weren't that lengthy or what I felt we needed, so if you do want the books with the questions, I would try FIAR again if I were you. And if you're doing headsprout for phonics, that will be a great start for her. We do/did click n kids phonics on line for both my dd & ds and it's just what they needed. Also, we buy age appropriate workbooks whenever we see them, and they are good for busywork if she needs it.

Take it from someone who spent A LOT of money on the "perfect" curriculum- Don't keep looking anymore!!! I agree with all the previous posters. Even though she enjoys learning, let her have her play time, and don't rush it. Read, read, read and spend time with her.

Good luck!

Thank you everyone!!

my heart knows all of you are RIGHT, but if I could just convince my brain! LOL

I also think that if the *rest* of my life could iron out a bit, it would be better. I'm in part-time job transition and I do all the books for my DH's business. Plus, we signed up for a co-op (all day!) this year that I also teach at (I have 3 preps for that) and it's killing me - big big BIG mistake for a first year homeschooler who also works part time and is easily overwhelmed!

I thought it would make it easier to have those subjects "covered" by the coop (they do science, art, music, spanish and centers) but my involvement in it is too much on my plate!! We aren't going back in January, so that's a relief - I will miss it b/c it's an awesome group of ladies and DD was learning ALOT but I can't afford to keep DD in it if I'm not teaching (that was how I 'paid' for her tutition).

Ellie, SWR is scaring me right now! I *know* it's not that big of a deal, but just remember the state of mind I'm in at the moment. I really want to learn it though. Do you think the how-to DVD's that some of the trainers did would help me get over the hump?

We're going up to do school right now!

thanks again for the kind words :)

:grouphug: hey in Kindergarten if they learn phonics, a bit of math and learn that books are fun then you have done your job.

I have gone through phases of planning and so far am doing this well with Calvert because I just couldn't get my act together for 8th grade for child number 3. Guess what - it is going well and I love, love, love having everything pulled together. I am also past worrying that there is something better out there because I am sure there is - but just don't care!!!!!!!!!

Your kids will be fine! All mine have turned out well-educated but totally different from each other . . . and are relatively happy at this point in time.:001_smile:

I'm going to give a vote FOR Sonlight.

When you were talking about flipping through books were you talking about flipping though different curriculum's for each subject then piecing out a lesson you like? If so, I think you would like Sonlight. You don't have to hunt for anything. If your dd is going to be 6 and she is ahead, order core 1 plus core 1 science and science kit. Get your IG, put the first 9 weeks in a binder and the first 9 weeks of books in a box, then open the IG and go. You won't have to plan or "find" any lessons. Check you box and you are done.

Keep doing Right Start.

Is your dd reading? Find the reading books from SL that fit her level. They are scheduled for you. Let her read and check the box.

The other curriculum's are going to have you go to the library and hunt down books or you are going to have to find each to purchase.

As for HWT, did you buy the slate? If so, do one day of slate work and the next day do the corresponding workbook page. Scrap the TM.

The only thing left is LA. Either choose SL's LA or do FFL

I made up a sheet that looks like SL's to write in my math and anything else needed, so I could check the box.

If you do this, you are done!

Science

History

LA

Reading

Math

Read Alouds

No more hunting down special books or supplies.

It won't be very "hands on". If you want hands on, order History Pockets Ancients to complement SL.

You are done! Viole!

Well, I am your opposite. LOL My youngest is doing Kinder/1st and I started with a curriculum in a box (Calvert Kindergarten). Then I just hated it. It wasn't that it was not a good curriculum, it was. It was just that I found so many other things that suited him so much better that Calvert just wasn't right. He is doing 1st grade reading and math, while still working on Kindergarten Science and Social Studies concepts...even though he sits in on CHOW and NOEO with big brother.

The biggest reason that Calvert didn't work for us is because a box curriculum assumes the child is on level for every single subject. I was supplementing his advanced reading skills and then having to X out 90% of the Calvert K phonics and reading skills because they were well beneath what he was already learning. It was just a mess.

However, if you have only accomplished 20 days in 3 months, then you may really benefit from something boxed. For me, I don't regret it because it showed me how to organize and plan. It also had some great ideas for fun things and crafts which I am still using in our daily work. :)

Oh...and best of luck to you!

I have a bright 4 year old who is also the type to ask for more, more, more. But my "method" is to drag my feet a bit. Here's why.

When she was 2 years old she asked me to teach her to read. She really meant it, too! But emotionally, she was still only 2. I took my time teaching her the letter sounds, blending CVCs, ending blends, beginning blends, digraphs, etc. Now she's working on long vowels. We just plod, because there is something (IMO) to be said for letting time do its work in our children. The foundation that HAS been laid is solid, very solid. But I think that's because we took our time.

Your daughter is young. There is time. You said that you've "only" had about 20 teaching days in about 13 weeks, but that's not so bad, really. That works out to about 1-2 x/week. If you are reading to her, doing chores/errands, letting her do art, music, games, puzzles, and play with her brother, and so on during the other days, then she will be fine.

We do about 2-3 "teaching times" per week, usually in the morning, but sometimes in the early evening after nap. We do "The Basics" as sit-down, seat-work subjects -- phonics/reading instruction, writing instruction & practice, arithmetic drill & instruction. So, Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic.

During the rest of my daughter's week, she has what I consider to be a balanced life. She goes to Grammy & Pop Pop's house one day a week. She helps me cook, fold laundry, put away toys, sweep the kitchen. She plays with her twin toddler sisters and plays with her dolls. She reads Bob books and listens to books on tape and LOTS of music. She does "art." She plays with puzzles, blocks, math manipulatives (with no teaching on my part), and games. She practices w and D and 4s. I have an entire wall filled with "Writing Projects" of little w, capital D, and the number 4. Don't ask me why! :lol:

We read stacks and stacks of books, all kinds -- Bible stories, poems, little nature stories, non-fiction books about history & science (animals this year, plants next), and board books and Mother Goose/Nursery Rhymes for the twins. We go outside for nature walks, play at the park, walk to the grocery store for onions and bananas. We even watch an occasional DVD on the computer (no TV), usually Brainy Baby French or Art (her favorites).

She has a few little "chores" that are hers to do before breakfast each morning, a place to do artwork, books on the shelf that are free to pull out, posters on the wall to look at when Mommy is doing laundry or just plain being boring.... It's not all up to you, Mama.

I know this is radical to say here, but your children will actually survive some "unschooly" type of time, especially the young ones. If you don't believe this, just take a look at this classical site:

http://www.triviumpursuit.com/articles/ten_to_do_before_ten.php

I like this list, because it reminds me that the CONVERSATIONS I have with my children are more important at this stage than the CURRICULUM I choose for my children. The natural working-out of life with young ones is the best reason to keep them home, not to work through the contents of a UPS shipment. I DO LOVE getting "stuff," though, so I'm with ya on that! :lol: HTH. Well, I gotta go talk to my kids now.

Thanks again for all the advice and replies. It is super helpful just to vent, but then to get all the reassurance - awesome!

As far as "needing" anything at all for THEM, I think I do realize now that anything I buy at THIS POINT *is* more for me than them, kwim? I mean I want the *best* and most comprehensive for them, of course, and I TOTALLY agree/understand when some of you say she is fine, she is learning, she is balanced, unschooling is still fine at this stage etc. I think I gave some advice similiar that to someone else recently LOL, so it makes perfect sense hearing it, but it all stems from MY issues - I, for some reason, seem to lack a lot of confidence with HS and I think the only way I can gain it is to work through this. It may mean ordering a curriculum, discovering I don't really "need" it and then voila! confidence! Does that make sense?

anyway, thanks again for everything - I feel 100 times better than when I posted my desperation NOVEL post last night!!!

Oh, and as far as if she is reading - I don't know quite how to answer. She can pick up a decodable reader and read away. But those that aren't 'decodable friendly' intimidate her still. Like if I picked a "levelled" reader from the library - she still guesses at larger words and rushes, instead of taking time to *try* to break them down and decode them. But she is still on step one of AAS lvl 1 - we are working on mastering the sounds of all the vowels :) But she can blend like a mad woman if it's a 3 or 4 letter word OR, if it's a more common sight word she REMEMBERS very well :) So, yes, I guess she is reading :) :)

Tabrett - one last thing - Sonlight was the first program I was ever attracted to - but didn't buy it b/c I wanted to "look around more" LOL I have never really let it go - it stays on my short list. You are right in that I dont' like flipping around trying to find things I need, but if someone TELLS me where it is located, I can flip with the best of them :) :) My DD is very very VERY handson though, so I know I would have to supplement in that area.

After years of encouraging new homeschoolers to build their own curriculum, I now tell them to pick a program that appeals to their style so that they can see how a pulled together package works. After a year of using a program you'll know how to do it yourself, what you like and what you dislike. Just from reading your note I think you would like heartofdakota.com I don't use this, but have studied it and know people who have used it. Borrow the books from the library if you don't want to buy all of them. Give the teaching style test at learntherightway.com a try. It's free and something that we recommend to the new mothers when they join our local homeschool group.

Thanks again for all the advice and replies. It is super helpful just to vent, but then to get all the reassurance - awesome!

As far as "needing" anything at all for THEM, I think I do realize now that anything I buy at THIS POINT *is* more for me than them, kwim? I mean I want the *best* and most comprehensive for them, of course, and I TOTALLY agree/understand when some of you say she is fine, she is learning, she is balanced, unschooling is still fine at this stage etc. I think I gave some advice similiar that to someone else recently LOL, so it makes perfect sense hearing it, but it all stems from MY issues - I, for some reason, seem to lack a lot of confidence with HS and I think the only way I can gain it is to work through this. It may mean ordering a curriculum, discovering I don't really "need" it and then voila! confidence! Does that make sense?

anyway, thanks again for everything - I feel 100 times better than when I posted my desperation NOVEL post last night!!!

Oh, and as far as if she is reading - I don't know quite how to answer. She can pick up a decodable reader and read away. But those that aren't 'decodable friendly' intimidate her still. Like if I picked a "levelled" reader from the library - she still guesses at larger words and rushes, instead of taking time to *try* to break them down and decode them. But she is still on step one of AAS lvl 1 - we are working on mastering the sounds of all the vowels :) But she can blend like a mad woman if it's a 3 or 4 letter word OR, if it's a more common sight word she REMEMBERS very well :) So, yes, I guess she is reading :) :)

Tabrett - one last thing - Sonlight was the first program I was ever attracted to - but didn't buy it b/c I wanted to "look around more" LOL I have never really let it go - it stays on my short list. You are right in that I dont' like flipping around trying to find things I need, but if someone TELLS me where it is located, I can flip with the best of them :) :) My DD is very very VERY handson though, so I know I would have to supplement in that area.

We used Sonlight for K and totally loved their K program. Now,Sonlight has 2 younger cores that were not available when we started. If I were starting over with Sonlight, I'd get the lowest core possible I could use that was age appropriate. It is all laid out for you and if you are a "box checker" you just follow the IG and check it all off. It's all done for you. Their science at that age was fantastic and fun. We are covering their American History core now. I use Rod & Staff for LA but I do still purchase their LA and do a little of the dictation/copywork. We still use their science. I am a box checker and I am not strong in putting stuff together. I like how Sonlight ties the history in with the readers, etc. However, it is not tied together until Core 3. Every once in a while, I think I want something else and fuss about Sonlight, but it is working for us and we do enjoy it. I think that is the main thing. Plus, if you can swing it you can buy all the books from them and not make library runs. Just open up and go. My strong point is not in planning, so this works great for us. I admire those that can put things together on their own but I am not that person. I was a total disaster when I tried to put stuff together on my own.

Will the researching and feelings of uncertainity EVER end?

For me it just became SOP. I got used to the researching and uncertainty. After 5+ years, it's actually become part of the fun. :w00t: I now understand that we will change routes often and that it's OK. I have yet to do in any one year what I planned at the beginning of the year. DS has different needs than I anticipated. Or our schedule changes. Or something changes.

It's OK. You'll be fine. :001_smile:

Thanks!!

I took the test at learntherightway.com and it came out exactly as I expected - I have the "gumption" to be good at HS, but I need structure and guidance because I have a weak support system and I lack confidence!! LOL (BTW, DH supports me, but only because he knows how much it means to me - he would just as soon have them in school and he's admitted to being a little scared they may fall behind!)

Anyway, as much as I know I can probably get by just fine with what I have (we had a wonderful day today by the way!) I think I will probably end up buying something even if just to end the torture of the research (at least for now). But I am sure I will go into analysis paralysis once again! ugh. Luckily, I do have a few items to sell, so maybe I can fund the new purchase in part with those.

I'm leaning strongly toward HOD for now, maybe Sonlight or TOG/SOTW for next year if I enjoy the planned out for me type curriculum.

Thanks again :) :)

Well, my first impulse was to say, "No, don't do it... don't buy anything new!" If you keep the RightStart and continue something for phonics, you have your bases covered. You really don't need anything else. You really do not even need a handwriting curriculum. You can start giving her very short copywork. I use HWOT and we love it, but I have never used the TM.

But, on second thought, I'm wondering if you have looked at My Father's World K? It is simple to teach. It is light enough that you could continue with RightStart and whatever you like for phonics but still get some use out of it. I mean, it includes math and phonics but if you don't need that, it still has more: science, hands-on activities, art, Bible. It's a really sweet, low-pressure, completely planned out and inexpensive curriculum.

MFW K (it includes handwriting) plus your phonics (but only if she is beyond the MFW phonics which only goes through three letter words in K) and math (if you really like Right Start and think the math in MFW K is not enough - it's informal and hands-on) would be plenty. I'm only suggesting this because it would give you a simple, do-able schedule. The lessons are short and your four year old would love them, too.

Sonlight is great. I have used K once and now on my second go round. I like it. You may love it, but I'm just thinking you don't really need much... you just need something to feel "pulled together" and to keep you on track. That's why I suggested MFW K. MFW K is not "meaty" but it sounds like you have plenty of meat already to me! With MFW K, you can make as much or little out of the weekly themes as you want to.

Just a suggestion. There's plenty of good things to keep buying. It sounds like you just need a schedule.

She can pick up a decodable reader and read away. But those that aren't 'decodable friendly' intimidate her still. Like if I picked a "levelled" reader from the library - she still guesses at larger words and rushes, instead of taking time to *try* to break them down and decode them.

When my daughter was in K last year, she couldn't/wouldn't (she could not/would not explain herself) break up most 2 and 3 syllables on her own, even after she had learned all her phonics basics.

I would break up words for her, then she would sound them out. After a few months of breaking up words for her and working through divided words in Webster's Speller, she learned to break them up and sound them out on her own. It may be a developmental thing, I don't know. At any rate, here's some example divided books to try to see if she can decode them when they're divided for her (syllable division pronunciation rules based on Webster's Speller. Short version of rules--open syllables: ba, bi, ma, mo, end in a long vowel, so ma as a syllable is long a, not ah, pronounced as in ma-ker. Closed syllables, ab, bib, ob, are short, as in ab-stain. Unaccented syllables, especially unaccented open syllables, often schwa)

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/syllabledividedb.html

Oh, my! I share many of your sentiments from the original post. It was therapeutic for me to read it!

Are you the type of person that needs to tweak things? Would it frustrate you to keep doing that with a boxed curriculum? Also, if you used something like like Sonlight would you be compelled to do every worksheet and reading selection even if you knew in your gut that it was not helpful to your daugher? Personally, I would not be able to let go of that check-box and I would agonize over not completing a list. Though I am using HOD's LHTH program with my two-year old because it is gentle and takes twenty minutes so I can accomplish it without tweaking.

Can you schedule a time in the morning to do school for one or two hours?

I'm coming to realize that homeschooling, even the younger years, is a full-time job, not something that can be squeezed into at any available moment. The amount of research, preparation, self-education, and actual teaching all amount to a full-time job. Taking care of young children also takes a tremendous amount of work.

For the time that you have this part-time job, you will need to let go of something. Trying to pursue Spanish, music, art, crafts, and even history at a systematic level on top of the basics will continue to drive you crazy. I like the emphasis that Trivium Pursuit places on focusing your studies since most of us are limited by the resources of time and money.

You mentioned TOG in one of your posts. I am also drawn to it, but I think it is unnecessary at the younger grades. SWB doesn't even recommend history until 1st Grade, 6-7 years old, so reading history stories with your daughter is perfect at this time. About HWOT, I read through the Teacher Manuel back in September and pick it up about every couple of weeks to see if it has any thing helpful for the specific pages we will be doing. The TM includes a lot of information because it is geared for helping children that have disabilities. Most children will not need all the activites that the TM suggests.

Hi Ronda,

I have no concrete advice to offer - just general comfort. Over the years, my desire to give my kids the best education that I can has often been my greatest friend.... and sometimes - my greatest foe. :D

I was searching the old boards for something and I came across this post. It was funny to read in cyber-space about one's past. Eerie! And the original post was about choosing between programs for older kids so the data doesn't really apply to you ... but the concepts are the same.

You have the time to choose. You have the time to choose again. Really. Hurl yourself with joy, grace, and peace headlong into content. Don't worry about curriculum. Just do something. You'll find your feet. Just do it! :D

The original post:

http://www.wtmboards.com/K8currJan20/messages/1380.html

My response:

http://www.wtmboards.com/K8currJan20/messages/1420.html

Take the time to figure out who you are - what ignites your passion. And then use materials that make it easy for you to have face time with your kids. The best programs are the ones that get used. The "me" of the past said it this way:

The history program that works is the one that gets used. (I'm a curriculum junkie who trumpets this truth as often as I can! THAT'S the whole reason that I'm posting instead of eating lunch... I would LOVE it if you could find something that opens up doors for you and your gang. History programs that we like don't do that; it's the history programs that we use that do that.)

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

My ds is 4.5 and he loves science too. HOD science is very light. I don't think that is the route for you. We are doing LHFHG and I do Living Learning Books with him because HOD is so light. I don't really care for the LLB 2 that we are doing, but we loved LLB 1. It might be difficult to be requesting all those books and going to the library a couple of tmes a week though if you are already busy. HTH

Thanks Janice - you are right - I loved your comment about "Hurl yourself with joy, grace, and peace headlong into content" - and thanks for sharing those older posts!

Donna T - MFW didn't "grab" me - not sure why, but I've looked at the sample lessons over and over and kind find the love....but thank you so much for the suggestion :)

ElizabethB - thank you for the phonics help and suggestions :)

llamamama - I'm not a tweaker per se. I mean, it would not bother me to leave stuff out, as long as I had the big picture all laid out so I KNEW what I was leaving out, does that make sense? Not checking some boxes would be ok with me, I would just be thankful to not have to create all the boxes because I wouldn't know when to stop! I agree that something has to go, so we are going to pass on the piano for Christmas (and thus the Piano lessons) and the Spanish for NOW. Art is her absolute favorite, so THAT will be the one "extra" we focus on. (and a cooking lesson here and there) She has lot of time for the others and I have to tell myself just because she is asking for it all, doesn't mean she should get it all. She is only 5 and if I can't handle it all, neither can she! LOL As far as TOG and even SOTW (which I have on CD - book one) I do agree they are too young right now. I am considering TOG for next year at the EARLIEST, but may even lean toward waiting til her 2nd grade and DS' first grade years.

love2read - thanks for the HOD post - I will go check it and see if anyone has answered :) :)

I did print out all of Tanglewood's curriculum suggestions and am going to read over that this week. It sounds nice so far b/c it is FREE and it gives me a framework and some choices on the main subjects. I also will check out the LLB 1. Really, I think the best advice I've gotten in regards to History/Science is to just read books she is interested in :) :)

thanks again!

I really don't have anything to add except you are not alone and I believe that as homeschoolers we will most likely have to deal with this over and over again during our journey, but it sounds like your dc have a great mommy who is looking out for their best interests and will be fine no matter what you do and/or use.

I can tell you that when I realized/decided last Spring that we're going to homeschool our ds4, starting with PreK/K4, I was on a mission to know it all overnight. I believe I even started a thread... something about not being able to sleep because thoughts of curriculum were dancing in my head! LOL!

God has truly been my guide to know what to use and what will work best for us. I encourage you to keep your dh involved in the decision making too... I couldn't have made these important decisions without the help of my dh. This forum has been a huge help to me as well... not to mention, the bloggers on this forum who share their homeschooling journeys.

You can do it!