Menu

Best lego sets for girls 11 and up

mommyoffive

How about the women of NASA set?  I think that's what it's called... that one looks really cool, and I think it's a limited edition.

Our lego lovers who are 11 and up tend to like more complex kits.  We have one that builds and displays (he did get the millennium falcon as a gift - I think when he was 16 or so - it is still displayed).  Our engineering girl, who is now 13, likes the kits with moving parts that she can use later to convert into Rube Goldberg type contraptions.  She tends to build her own candy dispensers, marble labyrinths, banks with locks - you get the idea - so she likes sets she can build once, then take apart to make into something new.  DS, who is 13, likes character kits - he loved the Dr Who set last year, and still likes Minecraft sets.  And we have another 13 year old who really only wants superhero sets.  

I think you really need to tailor it to the child's interests.

Did you get that for her?  Did she play with it or only build it? 

it currently is on sale on ebay for $2,200 . . . even then, it was out of my price range.

now that she can afford it - she'd rather fix her furnace and replace her deck.  and wouldn't have time to build it anyway.

eta: I think then - it was about $2K.

- there are multiple levels of display kits.  the cheaper ones didn't have enough detail to interest her.

she did make one from pieces we already had.

there was a kenworth truck that was very detailed.

there is also an architectural series - if you get to more detailed kits.

Edited by gardenmom5

Thanks ladies.

Before I put in some big orders, any secrets on getting them for cheaper?

I wish. It is the one thing that I can rarely find cheaper anywhere. I usually leave the Lego gifts to the grandparents for this reason. I can stretch my dollars more if I am not the one buying those items.

I have always liked buildings. I made my own not-so-attractive buildings from random pieces when I was a kid. The first set I bought "for the kids" when they were like 6 so I would have to build it for them was a set that could do 3 different houses. Then we were blessed to hit the Harry Potter years--Hogwarts, Hogwarts expansion, the Weasley's house, Hagrid's hut, and Diagon alley. Now we do the Winter Village set during advent. So I would vote for anything that's a building.

And there's no getting them cheaper. Best you can do is free shipping. Prices can even be higher for a used (older, not available anymore) set.

Should have gone shopping this summer

http://thekrazycouponlady.com/2017/07/31/2252913-890

Yeah, that is the time of year you can find deals on certain sets. My sister lives in a poor area and their walmart will discount some really great sets for crazy prices because they get stocked but don't sell. She has been able to pick up some great ones for us, her kids, and to resell many summers in a row.

Would something like this be to hard for an 11 year old?   The ones that are geared for 16 and up how old are the kids that have put them together? 

Would something like this be to hard for an 11 year old? The ones that are geared for 16 and up how old are the kids that have put them together?

My boys are 12 and they were doing some of these bigger sets last year and probably the year before. They like the exclusive sets like the Ferrari and the modulars (i.e. Pet Shop). They don't play with them. They build and display. We've colllected the Christmas sets the past few years. Thry also like Star Wars, Minecraft is bug, and one is collecting Lego Batman movie sets. One is gettng Big Ben from my dad this year.

Would something like this be to hard for an 11 year old? The ones that are geared for 16 and up how old are the kids that have put them together?

It would depend on the 11 year old. My nephew 12 and niece 10 could both put it together. The 12 year old would have no problem with it. The 10 year old might struggle with how long it would take but she'd put it together slowly.

Thanks ladies.

Before I put in some big orders, any secrets on getting them for cheaper?

If you don’t have one, get a VIP membership. You’ll earn towards future purchases. Also, they usually have some nice bonus gifts when your cart hits certain amounts. I got three 😲this year. Two of them became much loved St Nick gifts. One was a 24 in one Build a Day set. It’s awesome.
  • Like 1

Oh, and in our house the saying is “Christmas wouldn’t be the same without Legos!†My ds is almost 20 and still asks Santa for Legos.

It really wouldn't. My children are getting a ton of Ninjago Lego sets and some elf ones from my in-laws. I wish that carousel was sitting under the tree for me! Ha. But I told dh I would be mad if he bought it, which I would be because that is too much money to spend on a gift for me. However, I am not opposed to buying with my Christmas money

Honestly, this is very child dependent. My daughter would prefer ones from the Hobbitt or Lord of the Rings. Even skill level is very child dependent. Those who started younger or who have older siblings that they watch build pick it up pretty quick. I would buy a 14+ or 16+ for my 10 year old and stick to published age range and below for another.

Edited by frogger

If you don’t have one, get a VIP membership. You’ll earn towards future purchases. Also, they usually have some nice bonus gifts when your cart hits certain amounts. I got three 😲this year. Two of them became much loved St Nick gifts. One was a 24 in one Build a Day set. It’s awesome.

Does it cost to do this? 

My twelve year old dd loves to make stop motion animation with her Legos. For my dd, at this point, the Legos are just the vehicle for the story telling. We happen to have a lot of Lego sets with boats, fish, octopus, sharks, treasure chests, pirates...These work well for her stories and have added a new dimension to her Lego play. The app she uses was free. :)