Menu

any scotch/whiskey aficionados or spouses of them?

ktgrok

Looking for something new for my husband for a Christmas gift. About $40 range. He drinks Jameson for his every day drink but loves Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Laphroig, and in the bourbon category Angel's Envy and Bulleit. Anything anyone can suggest? Does not care for Johnny Walker or Chivas. 

• Like 1

Hubby's favorite is Glenlivet 21 which he says is the best. "To die for,  although Glenfiddich is right up there as well.  Like comparing Maserati to a Lamborghini.  :laugh:  But if you want price range of $40, then go with Glenlivet 15.  Bourbon wise Maker's Mark or Jim Beam.  

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 1

What about Jameson - Caskmates or 18yr?  I too like Jameson, and I appreciate a "finer" or "special" edition, especially as a gift because it isn't my "everyday".  I find the two I mentioned to have a bit more depth than regular Jameson with a more mellow, smooth feel in the mouth.

• Like 2

Hubby's favorite is Glenlivet 21 which he says is the best. "To die for,  although Glenfiddich is right up there as well.  Like comparing Maserati to a Lamborghini.  :laugh:  But if you want price range of $40, then go with Glenlivet 15.  Bourbon wise Maker's Mark or Jim Beam.  

They have similar tastes in scotch :)

SaveSave

• Like 1

Does he drink good coffee? I know it isn't the same but we have a local, very popular coffee place that has a bourbon barrel bean that is amazing. It is packaged beautifully too and is great for a gift. I got one for my dh stocking.

I'm not the original poster, but since my husband likes both coffee and bourbon this sounds like an inspired idea.  Thank you!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

I prefer Islay Scotch, though Speysides and Higlands work, too. I did not like Glenfiddich nor the Glen Morganie 10 year, but Glen Morganie has a sherry cask finished Scotch that is reasonably priced and a good dram. Otherwise, I’m afraid my Scotch tastes run outside the $40 price limit. My favorite (Ardbeg) starts in the $50s. I have gifted a bottle of the Aberfeldy 10 that was well received. I like Dalmore 12, but maybe that’s closer to $50, too. Talisker Storm was another favorite, but that’s up there in the Lagavulin strata.

What about a set of Glencairn glasses if he doesn’t have a set of specialty glasses already? My BIL’s exposure to Scotch has only been what I’ve gifted, but he also like bourbon so this year I bought him tickets for a local distillery tour.

Edited by mamaraby

I like everything you mentioned, as does he. (although I am more the Islay lover, he is into the Speysides). He does have Glencairn glasses already. I may try to find some local micro distillery stuff. 

I prefer Islay Scotch, though Speysides and Higlands work, too. I did not like Glenfiddich nor the Glen Morganie 10 year, but Glen Morganie has a sherry cask finished Scotch that is reasonably priced and a good dram. Otherwise, I’m afraid my Scotch tastes run outside the $40 price limit. My favorite (Ardbeg) starts in the $50s. I have gifted a bottle of the Aberfeldy 10 that was well received. I like Dalmore 12, but maybe that’s closer to $50, too. Talisker Storm was another favorite, but that’s up there in the Lagavulin strata.

What about a set of Glencairn glasses if he doesn’t have a set of specialty glasses already? My BIL’s exposure to Scotch has only been what I’ve gifted, but he also like bourbon so this year I bought him tickets for a local distillery tour.

Looking for something new for my husband for a Christmas gift. About $40 range. He drinks Jameson for his every day drink but loves Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Laphroig, and in the bourbon category Angel's Envy and Bulleit. Anything anyone can suggest? Does not care for Johnny Walker or Chivas. 

Drambouie?  I bought some for myself by mistake, thinking it was something else I had had a taste of.  My DH informed me of my error before I opened the bottle, and my BIL was very happy getting it for a birthday present.