Menu

What brand of pants have big front pockets?

ashfern

My 15 yo dd got a new phone which is much bigger than her old phone. The old one easily fit in her front pants pockets. This one doesn't. It's the same kind I have and I usually have it in my purse. It does fit in the back pocket of jeans but you have to take it out to sit down. She needs her phone accessible for school so doesn't want to put it in her backpack. Any recommendation for women's pants with large front pockets? 

I have no idea, but how would she feel about a small purse she could wear crosswise across her body? 

My Lee jeans had decent pockets but I don't know if they would be big enough for my iphone 7 . I'm currently wearing Levi jeans and the front pockets are definitely too small for my phone. I think a fourth of the phone hangs out of the pocket and doesn't feel secure.

• Like 1

My daughter chooses her phone based on size, the smallest one possible, because it is easier to find a small phone than it is to find women’s pants with large pockets. Especially women’s pants with large pockets and a look she is willing to be seen in.

This is exactly why I do NOT want a bigger phone.

• Like 2

Cargo?

REI carries women’s hiker pants that have a cargo pocket on the leg that is plenty big enough for an iPhone 7/8/10.

Carhart has a couple of toes of cargo pants for women that would work.

I"ll have to suggest this to her. Her current jeans are the tight leg style. Not sure if the cargo will be too loose.

Skirts?  With leggings and combat boots?

Seriously, though, pockets in form-fitting clothing usually don't work, design-wise, as putting a big phone in them destroys the line of the garment, so designers usually don't include them.  And if it's made of stretch material, the corners of the phone will break the spandex fibers and result in a spot that loses stretch and kind of bags out even when the phone isn't in the pocket.  A cargo pocket is really the only viable way to go on a form-fitting garment.  And, of course, that too will result in a different silhouette than what is in style right now.

Options to explore would include sewing a pocket to the outside of a garment, finding a place on the garment where there would be enough room for a phone and sewing in a pocket accessible by an invisible zipper (not really viable in most skinny jeans as there's nowhere with room), exploring various kinds of separate pockets to add to the look (e.g. cross-body bag, festival belt with pockets, etc.), or changing to a look that's not as body-con and has room for pockets.  

tl;dr - Pockets don't work inside form-fitting clothes; you need to change up the clothes or have the pockets on the outside.  

• Like 3

She's curvy so men's won't work. I already suggested that.

Not necessarily true. I have a number of men's pants that fit, and I'm certainly curvy. 

My vote is also for cargo pants. Or putting the phone in her jacket or w/e. But realistically, since I got my Note 2, I've had a purse, for the sake of the phone. I have maybe two pairs of pants that the Note 2 fits into, but it's super uncomfortable sitting down - you'd need to put it in pockets like on cargo pants, that are some ways down the leg, not in the traditional spot for pockets. Also, trying to get it out of traditional pants pockets involves having to stand up, and then wrestling the phone out of the pocket - it's not any faster than having it in the front pocket of a backpack or w/e. 

• Like 1