Menu

Rash on back after beach--help!!

PeterPan

I have a problem. Ds started itching on his back after our last day at the beach. It was the only day we swam. The others we just splashed and walked. Benadryl isn't helping much if any and cortisone cream is helping a little. We thought maybe a reaction to beach bugs but I don't know. His behavior is really intense right now from it. He's soaking the bed and aggressive and just really overwhelmed.(autism)

So can a doctor do something stronger? Or would Claritin or something OTC work better? I don't want to find s doctor and have them laugh but it's really an issue. No visible bites just mild rash and merciless itching.

Edited by PeterPan

I started getting a rash to the UV in sunlight a few years ago. It is absolutely miserable. 

Research PMLE-- Polymorphous light eruption, also known as polymorphic light eruption--  and see if that fits at all.  Antihistamines and keeping the skin dry with absolutely no moisturizer (including conditioner for my hair) is key for me.  While the cortisone creams help with my irritation, they perpetuate the situation (for me). 

• Like 1

I'll google PMLE. It's not on his shoulders like you'd expect. Mainly lower back and triceps. Extends up to shoulder blades but worst is lower back.

I'm saying rash but it hardly shows. Small business mps, no pimples. Tried taking pics and they're not showing it well. Pink but not extreme color, obvious with contrast at waistline.

I would take him to the dr. They shouldn’t laugh at you. My son got a rash that maybe looked similar after we went to the beach (it’s hard to tell from the picture). His was very light to where my husband acted like he could barely see it. It had petechiae though (little red spots). They did bloodwork twice, but ended up saying it was a virus. He had the rash for 7 weeks. His started on his back and ended up spreading. There is probably something they can give your son to put him out of his misery. Itching is awful.

• Like 1

If it isn’t improving, I would take him to the dr. My nephew gets hives all over when he has a minor virus (cold, sore throat). He has ADHD and autism, and he just can’t stand the itching. He usually takes Benadryl for several days and often a short course of prednisone, which really knocks the itching and rash out quickly.

I get PMLE, and it’s very uncomfortable. For me, antihistamines and keeping Aquaphor on it at all times helps the most.

• Like 1

Um... are there any tiny blisters on his back?  Is it possible there was jellyfish in the water, even tiny bits of them?  We went to Pensacola in an El Nino year once and there were a bunch of bits of jellyfish in the water - they'd been sucked up into some ship engines and then chopped up. It left me with very itchy skin, and a couple tiny blisters where the tentacles or whatever got stuck to my skin.

If that's the case, or there's any chance of that being the case, what works best is to neutralize the sting with something that breaks down protein.  The best option is a powdered meat tenderizer made from pineapple enzyme in the spice aisle.  Another option that doesn't work quite as well is vinegar.

For that matter, if there's something on his skin that is causing an allergic reaction, either of those would help break down that protein.

I'd apply one or both of them to his skin and wait a day or two before I went to the doctor.

• Like 2

Um... are there any tiny blisters on his back?  Is it possible there was jellyfish in the water, even tiny bits of them?  We went to Pensacola in an El Nino year once and there were a bunch of bits of jellyfish in the water - they'd been sucked up into some ship engines and then chopped up. It left me with very itchy skin, and a couple tiny blisters where the tentacles or whatever got stuck to my skin.

If that's the case, or there's any chance of that being the case, what works best is to neutralize the sting with something that breaks down protein.  The best option is a powdered meat tenderizer made from pineapple enzyme in the spice aisle.  Another option that doesn't work quite as well is vinegar.

For that matter, if there's something on his skin that is causing an allergic reaction, either of those would help break down that protein.

I'd apply one or both of them to his skin and wait a day or two before I went to the doctor.

I was going to suggest this.  I can't tell much from the picture, but was it streaky?  That sounds jellyfishy to me.  Sprinkle meat tenderizer on there (in the spice aisle) or try vinegar.  If that helps, I guess that's what it was.

• Like 2

I would take him to the dr. They shouldn’t laugh at you. My son got a rash that maybe looked similar after we went to the beach (it’s hard to tell from the picture). His was very light to where my husband acted like he could barely see it. It had petechiae though (little red spots). They did bloodwork twice, but ended up saying it was a virus. He had the rash for 7 weeks. His started on his back and ended up spreading. There is probably something they can give your son to put him out of his misery. Itching is awful.

Oh dear. Well you're making me feel better because I'm paying $200 right now to see a doc at Urgent Care. I talked with the insurance nurse line and she said what you're saying that they might want labs. Sigh. Maybe it will be magical later.

And now I'm a little worried because all these people here are SICK and I'm in their germs. Gonna go back and do my inhaler. And I was just getting better. Can't win.

Edited by PeterPan

My DH had a rash like that twice, super itchy, all over his body. Both times it was when he was coming down with a cold. The doc called it a "viral rash." Apparently that's a thing? He hasn't had it for many years, thank goodness, it was awful. I hope your son feels better soon!

• Like 1

I'm so sorry you're both going through this, and I hope the new prescriptions work fast. There is such an obvious line of demarcation, I was thinking either reaction to sunlight or sunscreen. I've had something very similar happen to me at the beach a few years ago. I was never able to pinpoint the cause, but I felt like it was just too much sun in too short a time span combined with sensitivity to sunscreen. 

Edited by stephensgirls
  • Like 1

I'm a little concerned because he had a 102.4 fever this morning (armpit) and tossed his cookies, complained of feeling very cold. We just got back so feeling cold seemed normal till I realized it was excessive and from s fever oops.

Do took the temp so I need to see. I forget the adjustment for armpit temps

I'm a little concerned because he had a 102.4 fever this morning (armpit) and tossed his cookies, complained of feeling very cold. We just got back so feeling cold seemed normal till I realized it was excessive and from s fever oops.

Do took the temp so I need to see. I forget the adjustment for armpit temps

That sounds viral. Allergies don't cause fevers. ( You go up a 1/2 degree for armpit readings so he's close to 103°).

Yeah, it's definitely a virus of some kind. The day we went to the clinic he was mildly elevated (1 degree) and they still said it was an allergic reaction. I'm almost wondering if the strong prednisone made him really susceptible and the 2 hours in the clinic got the exposure. Now I'm trying to be careful, because I don't want what he's got either! Ack. 

I gave him a probiotic this morning and I need to get to the store and get some more Florastor for myself. That stuff is golden. 

• Like 1

Yeah, it's definitely a virus of some kind. The day we went to the clinic he was mildly elevated (1 degree) and they still said it was an allergic reaction. I'm almost wondering if the strong prednisone made him really susceptible and the 2 hours in the clinic got the exposure. Now I'm trying to be careful, because I don't want what he's got either! Ack.

I gave him a probiotic this morning and I need to get to the store and get some more Florastor for myself. That stuff is golden.

For a fever that high, I'd treat it. Tylenol will bring it down about 2°, which leaves it high enough to help fight the virus, but the kid won't feel as miserable or dehydrate. Ibuprofen works better for fever, but also can slightly suppress the immune system temporarily, and with the recent steroid use, I'd hesitate. I tend to err on the side of letting the fever run up a bit, but that 102+ is too too high. Edited by Sandwalker
  • Like 1

While it's probably not the problem in your case, this article about rashes after swimming in Florida and the Caribbean is quite interesting.

That seems like a really reasonable explanation! It says it can present as a barely discernable macular rash, and barely discernable is what it was. Itched terribly, but hard to tell really what or why. 

I'm really glad the doc went aggressive with it though. He needed more than that article says, but I think it's the combo of the symptoms plus the autism. His system was just overwhelmed. They ended up giving him some pretty strong stuff that got it calmed down. (big dose of prednisone and then maintenance on that plus hydroxizine) The hydroxizine is a combo anti-anxiety and anti-histamine, and it has been AWESOME, oh my. Stopped the itching and the extreme behaviors in one med. 

For a fever that high, I'd treat it. Tylenol will bring it down about 2°, which leaves it high enough to help fight the virus, but the kid won't feel as miserable or dehydrate. Ibuprofen works better for fever, but also can slightly suppress the immune system temporarily, and with the recent steroid use, I'd hesitate. I tend to err on the side of letting the fever run up a bit, but that 102+ is too too high.

I didn't realize that about the Tylenol, thanks. I was going to give him some, and I only had adult, oops. It was such that I couldn't cut and dose it properly for his weight. Glad I didn't give the ibuprofen. He doesn't like kid versions anyway, largely refuses to take them. Maybe I can keep an eye out for a tylenol that would be easier to dose to his weight, now that he can swallow pills. He will totally refuse anything kid-flavored (chewables, liquids). We've tried and tried. I think his dose by weight was 380 or something (I'd need to look it up again) and half the tablet was 250, sigh. It's just like a once a year problem, but still when you need something you need it. His temp is now around 100 and continuing down. His demeanor is improving, so that's good too. He ate a bowl of soup and is humming. When he's humming, his engines are coming back. :D

SaveSave

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 3