Menu

Work from home jobs?

Night Elf

I can't find the last thread about working from home. My question is, is there ANYTHING out there for a person with only a high school diploma, 4 college classes and one year of working as a stocking clerk in a grocery store? This is for my Aspie. What could he do at home to make $800/month? He's trying to find something to replace his grocery job. We've decided to give him a few months to research then he's agreed to go to a career counselor but he's not optimistic about it. He's afraid he'll be steered into doing things he doesn't want to do, like go back to school.

• Like 1

A friend used to do customer support for a third-party company that sold in-game currency for MMORPGs and power-leveled characters. The company was legit in that he got paid, but game companies frowned upon it, there were some sketchy practices at the time, and they probably got shut down eventually.

But maybe there's an officially sanctioned job with less sketchiness doing something similar. It's been 13ish years, but he made about $12/hour.

Edited by BarbecueMom

I am just going to list things

Does he only want to work online? 

Lots of ideas here

http://www.budgetsaresexy.com/ways-to-make-money/

https://www.makingsenseofcents.com/2015/05/75-ways-to-make-extra-money.html

https://www.makingsenseofcents.com/2017/01/how-to-make-extra-money-in-2017.html

Ebay - people are still able to make money on Ebay selling all sorts of things

I used to follow   shethrifts.com 

http://www.budgetsaresexy.com/how-i-ran-business-out-of-shoebox-made-10000/

Write a blog     People make a lot of money doing this and not putting much time into it.   I could list of blogs that tell you how to do it if you want. 

Esty  

http://www.budgetsaresexy.com/side-hustle-series-im-an-etsy-seller/

Selling shirts on Amazon

http://northernexpenditure.com/merch-amazon-adventure/

Selling on Amazon

https://thesellingfamily.com/

Mechanical Turk

http://www.budgetsaresexy.com/make-money-amazon-mechanical-turk/

VA

http://www.budgetsaresexy.com/make-money-as-va-virtual-assistant/

Freelance writer

http://www.budgetsaresexy.com/side-hustle-series-started-freelance-writing-business/

Focus Groups

You can do these online

http://www.budgetsaresexy.com/making-money-as-taste-taster-focus-groups/

Reseller

http://www.budgetsaresexy.com/side-hustle-series-buy-sell-classic-video-games/

http://www.budgetsaresexy.com/i-resell-collectible-shoes-sneakers/

http://www.budgetsaresexy.com/side-hustle-series-im-a-high-fashion-ebay-reseller/

IT freelancer

http://www.budgetsaresexy.com/information-technology-itfreelancing/

Voice Over acting

http://www.budgetsaresexy.com/make-money-voice-over-actor/

Surveys

Swagbucks

Test Websites

Usertesting.com

Moderate Forums

Mystery Shop

Lots more ideas if he doesn't want to just work online.  I am only doing the online ideas. 

Create a class and teach 

Write an E book

Edit websites, books and on and on

Proof Read

Book Keeper

Transcriptionist

Customer service from home

Become a tutor

studypool

Sell Photos

Manage databases or apps

Build Websites

build an app

Task Rabbit

Sell on CL

Ghost Writing 

Gig Walking   Smartphone app that you do tasks around you for $

Graphic Design 

Start a newspaper

MLM Sales

Peer to Peer Lending

Podcasting

Fiverr

Selling shirts on Teespring

Write Code

Do marketing for companies 

Translation Service

Travel Agent

Putting advertising on your car

You Tube channel Host

Lots more ideas here

https://www.sidehustlenation.com/ideas/

Thanks for all the ideas. I'll have him look at these tonight when he wakes up after dinner. 

He really has no skills. He can type but he doesn't type properly. He uses a few fingers and can type about 50 wpm doing that. While homeschooling, I had him using a typing program and he worked on it for over a year but never adopted that method of typing for his personal use. He's not good on the telephone. He mumbles a lot and doesn't feel comfortable talking on the phone. He has no skills with his hands like electronics or computer repair. He took a couple of self-taught programming, Java and C++ but he didn't really like them. He only did them because we made it part of his school day and he did do very well with them. He's never done anything like painting or building things except Legos. :)

I think he does want to work online but if there was something he could do off the computer, he might consider it. 

He's a smart guy. Both his high school and college GPAs were 4.0. He just didn't like school. I showed him the courses available at the local technical school but he wasn't interested. I suggested an accounting diploma that would probably train him to be a bookkeeper or something. He's very good with numbers. He has no interest and said it would probably be as bad as working at the grocery store.

The main problem we have here is his Aspergers. He's got some of the typical traits like not wanting to be involved with people. This is why we got him the overnight stocking job. No people to deal with and working by himself. I'm very happy he stuck with it for a year but he got really unhappy with it and just wants to try something new. 

Ultimately we'd love to find him something that he can do to support himself but I'm not optimistic at this present time. My mom thinks he'll be different in a few years when he learns making money is not easy and he may need a proper education. I hope so. He has only mentioned living on his own once and that was when he started his grocery job. He asked how much he needed to make to get his own place. He wasn't impressed with my answer. He can make any salary for the next 10 years while DH is still working but when DH retires, ds is going to need to be making more than $800 a month. We can't support him during our retirement and of course there's his future to consider as we won't be alive forever. Both of his sisters are concerned about him and worry that when DH and I die they'll have to step in and take care of him, like letting him live with them. My oldest dd is even suggesting we not give her any money in our will because she wants ds to have it if it will help him. That's a sweet thought but we don't want that to happen. We won't be leaving enough for any of them to retire and live a life of leisure. Don't I wish!!!

Okay, this got long. Anyway, thanks for the ideas.

If I had any recent working experience, I would pay to join this web site. I believe it is quite reputable.

FlexJobs.com

Note: When I first saw it and registered, they sent me a discount code. I think their best discount code is for approximately 50% off which is very very nice.

Good luck to your DS

I can't find the last thread about working from home. My question is, is there ANYTHING out there for a person with only a high school diploma, 4 college classes and one year of working as a stocking clerk in a grocery store? This is for my Aspie. What could he do at home to make $800/month? He's trying to find something to replace his grocery job. We've decided to give him a few months to research then he's agreed to go to a career counselor but he's not optimistic about it. He's afraid he'll be steered into doing things he doesn't want to do, like go back to school.

One of my kids sounds similar to your son in a few ways.  He is not an Aspie, but has some characteristics and has some LDs that hinder him.  Speaking very gently... it might be better for him to hear, sooner rather than later, and from someone not his parents, that he may have to do some things he doesn't want to do in order to qualify for good jobs.  

Shoot, I am 61 years old and I'm doing things I don't want to do in order to qualify for jobs. And there are quite a few people in my Word and Excel class that are in the same boat. 

I'm not trying to be snarky or negative, or trivialize your son's challenges.  A good career counselor can give tests that show aptitudes and interests and help guide a person to jobs they may like and can qualify for - sometimes without a need for further training or school. 

• Like 4

Frankly, is disability an option?

I've honestly thought about it but I'm not sure he'd qualify. We know he's able to hold down a job. It's just one he didn't like. I figure disability would want us to prove he can't work. I thought about going to a lawyer that knows about this stuff because I find the information online very confusing. I've also heard that sometimes it takes 2 or 3 times of applying before they'll accept him. I feel very overwhelmed trying to think of this myself. I did try to find a lawyer in my area that does disability and haven't had any luck. They're all in other cities, some of which are a long way from home. It's still worth considering though.

• Like 1

I'm not trying to be snarky or negative, or trivialize your son's challenges.  A good career counselor can give tests that show aptitudes and interests and help guide a person to jobs they may like and can qualify for - sometimes without a need for further training or school. 

Which is exactly why I suggested it to him and he agreed to go. He just wants to give it 2-3 months to see if he can find a job on his own. If he has no luck, he's willing to go to counseling. He's just not overly eager to do it. DH wants to give him a chance first without me jumping in and trying to solve the problem. I hope they don't think this post is interfering. I just figured if we need to know something, ask the Hive!

• Like 4

If I had any recent working experience, I would pay to join this web site. I believe it is quite reputable.

FlexJobs.com

Note: When I first saw it and registered, they sent me a discount code. I think their best discount code is for approximately 50% off which is very very nice.

Good luck to your DS

Lanny, is this for non-professionals with very little work experience? He's only stocked groceries as a job.

• Like 1

Which is exactly why I suggested it to him and he agreed to go. He just wants to give it 2-3 months to see if he can find a job on his own. If he has no luck, he's willing to go to counseling. He's just not overly eager to do it. DH wants to give him a chance first without me jumping in and trying to solve the problem. I hope they don't think this post is interfering. I just figured if we need to know something, ask the Hive!

Sorry, I misinterpreted. I read it that he agreed but still did not want to go / was going reluctantly.  

My kid often needs to be pushed, sometimes way out of his comfort zone, to make any progress.  Of course your kid is not mine, just going by my  own experiences with someone similar.  

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

Lanny, is this for non-professionals with very little work experience? He's only stocked groceries as a job.

Possibly a small percentage.  Most of them, probably the vast majority, are for people with recent experience doing something.  I don't think stocking groceries is one of the things they are looking for, but if he spends some time, looking at recent listings (for example, the past week or 10 days of new listings) he would get an idea of which types of things he might be able to do at home, if and when he has the appropriate knowledge and experience. 

It sounds like he has no desire to work and he would like that, but I doubt that he would qualify.

I wonder if the Aspergers makes him lazy or disinterested or whatever the word is?

Don't misunderstand me. He's not lazy and disinterested in working. He just wants to find a job that will suit him and his abilities. It's totally normal for Aspies to not want to interact with lots of people and that is one job aspect he's trying to avoid. Yes, I think it's good for him to get out and interact but if he can find work within his parameters than that is a good thing.

But MedicMom is right though. Aspergers is considered a disability and he has a formal diagnosis.

• Like 2

I wonder if the Aspergers makes him lazy or disinterested or whatever the word is?

Laziness is NOT a trait of Aspergers. Nor the norm. People with Aspergers are quite capable of being high achievers. And often are.. in both my work and personal experiences (and research) with people with AS, they are MORE likely to want to follow a plan than not follow a plan. They'd rather not have a loosey goosey "no plan" to follow as they tend to be rule followers, and the plan is often like a "rule" to follow. 

• Like 5

This is just my two cents, but as a parent, I would not want my child on disability if he is able to work. I have seen that happen before and it seems to hinder any forward momentum and leads to an unhappy life.

There are several Aspies in my dh's family and they are all gainfully employed and quite successful in their chosen fields.

• Like 3

What are his strengths? What does he see himself doing? What would he most like to be doing with his time?

He has no clue. He doesn't have a passion. When he was a teen, he thought about gaming programming but he hasn't wanted to pursue that. He lost interest in it. He just hasn't found himself yet I guess. He's 21 but that's probably about 16 in a neuro-typical teen. He's very smart but not very mature yet. His perceptions of the world are still a little unrealistic and it's going to take more time for him to realize that. He's certainly come a long way since high school but he's certainly not like a typical 21 year old.

• Like 2

I have a sister with Asperger’s. She’s 25 and has just realized what she’d like to do. She hasn’t worked much up until now; it just wasn’t in her realm of both ability and maturity. Now she’s in college taking accounting and doing well. I suspect she will always need some extra help though.

It may just take him an extra few years. I was wondering if disability could just be a fail safe for him and your future planning.

• Like 1

There are several Aspies in my dh's family and they are all gainfully employed and quite successful in their chosen fields.

Are these people formally diagnosed?

Sometimes when people talk about highly successful "aspies" they are really talking about people with some Asperger traits but no diagnosis.

We've decided to give him a few months to research then he's agreed to go to a career counselor but he's not optimistic about it. He's afraid he'll be steered into doing things he doesn't want to do, like go back to school.

I would see if he wouldn't consider doing this first, and not wait around trying to find something. 

• Like 1

He has no clue. He doesn't have a passion. When he was a teen, he thought about gaming programming but he hasn't wanted to pursue that. He lost interest in it. He just hasn't found himself yet I guess. He's 21 but that's probably about 16 in a neuro-typical teen. He's very smart but not very mature yet. His perceptions of the world are still a little unrealistic and it's going to take more time for him to realize that. He's certainly come a long way since high school but he's certainly not like a typical 21 year old.

Parents in one of our local support groups told us that around age 25 is when their Aspie kids started to be able to handle adult-type decisions and planning. 

• Like 1

Just an idea, I don't have any experience in this area, but would he be interested in coding/ programming?  Website building?  These types of careers would take some further education, but I believe there are several reputable programs online & the classes might be interesting to him.  This is also a field that can be done as a small business from home as an independent contractor. 

It sounds like he needs some time & a few more classes in different fields under his belt to find his passion.   I would recommend (gently) that he not take too much time finding something else to fill his time now that he is not working at the grocery store.  Most adults days are filled with activities they like and ones they don't enjoy but are necessary.  I don't remember how rural or urban your hometown is but is delivery of some kind an option?  In our area there is delivery from Google, Amazon, several grocery stores and other places.  Would he consider being a mail carrier?  I know that takes training and a test, but it can be flexible.  How about volunteering somewhere that might spark an interest in a job?  Our city just hired a bunch of new library techs that only needed a high school diploma.

Hugs to you, Momma.  Hang in there

Amber in SJ

• Like 1

That's a tough spot to be in, and I empathize a bit.  My Aspie is happy with his big box store job and going to school, but his goal planning is seriously lacking. Initiative, motivation, and foresight are not his strong points. I'd actually LIKE to be able to say that he just has wishful thinking that everything will shake out, but I don't believe he's really thinking, wishful or otherwise. He's ignoring reality.

I think I have him convinced to get counseling. He actually likes counseling, but the planning and logistics of scheduling and going...  :svengo:

If you have not, please have him evaluated.  There are services for adults and he can qualify for disability.  There are services that help match indivduals with jobs as well as job training.  

As he get older he will only get more frustrated.  

If you can't go that route, I was going to suggest a night time security job.  It's not a work from home, but it is more of a loner job and can have decent pay.

I'd attack this from multiple angles. I'd put a major effort into this because you are realistically looking at an adult who is looking at living with your complete support. I'd start evaluating how that changes what dh and you planned for retirement. If you accept continuing to provide this support, start looking at what happens when you are not around to provide it. 

For him I'd start putting together applications for disability services. And start having him consider what that really looks like. What do housing services look like in your state and does he think that is a reasonable way for him to live. 

Have him evaluated for depression and anxiety. Consider the possibility that getting treatment for a condition coexistent may make it easier for him to work in other settings for go to school to develop skills and obtain certifications to get better employment. 

Right now he sounds really stuck. He may not want to see a career counselor because he does know the answer is if he wants a certain type of work environment he needs education and training to show he has the skills to get the types of jobs which have the environment he wants. He has to go through the process of getting the degree or certifications to get what he wants. To some people that feels like checking a box. No one likes the process of getting training if it's simply to check a box, but the reality is it has to be done. 

I think both you and he need to realize the likely perfect job for him right now probably does not exist. You need to understand what it will look like for you and dh if your ds does not move on in some manner. Your ds has to figure out he may need to get training, to accept less than optimal work environments, or think about becoming a client of the disability services system. On the last option, while aspergers is a disability he still has to qualify as "disabled enough". Each state is going to different in their evaluation system of his needs, so be prepared to understand he may not qualify. 

• Like 2