Menu

vegetable beef soup from leftover roast

Elizabeth86

I would start with sauteeing some onions and garlic because that makes everything better, add in your meat diced up, chopped veggies, broth to the desired thickness or any juice left over from the roast and a bit of tomato sauce, and seasonings (salt, pepper, maybe a dash of Worcestershire); cook until veggies are done.

I did a quick search and here is Alton Brown's stew recipe if you want to check it out:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-beef-stew-recipe-1948778

• Like 3

I would add a little oil to a soup pot, saute some onion with salt and pepper.  After the onion is soft, add about 1/4 cup flour and cook.  Only do this if you want a thicker soup, other wise you can skip.  Add any veg of your choice.  Cover with broth (or even water will work).  I like to add veg in increments of how fast they cook.  So potatoes and carrots to start, let them simmer 15 minutes or so, then add any quicker cooking veg.  Cook until everything is tender.   I would then shred the beef and add.  I usually just add the beef whenever  We prefer is shredded very finely.  You can also add some tomato sauce with the broth.   To me, veggie soup is a way to use leftovers, so it changes every time.   

• Like 1

Please don't judge, I should know this. I really can only follow recipes. I would like to turn leftover roast into vegetable beef soup. How do YOU do it?

No judgement from me!  When I got married the only thing I could cook was hamburger helper and frozen pizza.  It was truly awful.  My mom didn't think it was important for my sister and me to learn to cook, and I didn't care one way or the other.  I am still not a great cook, but I try. 

No judgement from me! When I got married the only thing I could cook was hamburger helper and frozen pizza. It was truly awful. My mom didn't think it was important for my sister and me to learn to cook, and I didn't care one way or the other. I am still not a great cook, but I try.

lol, thanks. See I can follow a recipe just fine, but as dash of this and a pinch of that cooking makes me a wreck.

I make mine in the crock pot.

1 onion diced

2-3 cloves of garlic minced

1 bag of frozen mixed veggies (or left over veggies if I have them)

Roast finely chopped

Any leftover gravy or juices from the pan

1/3 c lentils and 1/3 cup pearl barley or 2/3 if one of them or skip it

1 can of diced tomatoes or some fresh or frozen ones

6-8 cups of water with beef soup base to make stock.

Turn on low about 6-8 hours.

• Like 3

I usually follow this recipe from Martha Stewart, though I start with cooked beef.  I don't always use barley, but that's the favorite around here. And I generally use a mix of carrots and green beans, not all carrots, because too many add a sweetness no one here likes.

No judgment from me about recipes.  I've been cooking for years, and know how to make a lot of different things, but I still rely on recipes.  I don't always follow them perfectly, but they are helpful for timing, proportions of ingredients, etc.  

People get leftovers with roast?

It always disappears into my tummy before I can turn it into something else :o

We do b/c my kids are not big on roast beef. More for me and dh! I make sandwiches or hash or pot pie from leftovers if I want kids to eat them. We do get more leftovers from bone-in roasts too. Edited by ScoutTN

I use a crockpot or my instant pot and just dump it all in together. You can, of course, use whatever vegetables you'd like, but this is what I usually use. Cabbage and mixed veggies are the two absolute musts for us or else it's just not vegetable soup, lol:  

meat

bag of frozen mixed veggies

celery
diced onion

some frozen lima beans

1/2 a head of cabbage cut into chunks

big can of crushed or diced tomatoes

beef stock
salt 

pepper

some V8 if it needs more broth/soup

water

No measurements, just whatever makes it as thick or soupy as you'd like. Sometimes I'll add in a fistful of dry pearl barley in the last 30-60 minutes, but it isn't necessary. 

Please don't judge, I should know this. I really can only follow recipes. I would like to turn leftover roast into vegetable beef soup. How do YOU do it?

I do this all the time.  Well, less so now since I never have leftover roast with two big teen boys.  But it is delicious.  I am a recipe follower too.  :)  

I am at work or I would post my exact recipe....but I think there are some good ones on this thread.   I do remember that I add the meat pretty much last...after the veggies are finished cooking.

Doing what pp suggested will basically end up a vegetable soup with some beef in it. You won't get the deep beef flavor if you all them meat was already cooked.

Do you have any extra uncooked meat, even a little bit? if so, by sauteeing the raw meat first at high temperature you can get some nice browning flavors you won't get if you throw the cooked roast into the soup.

• Like 2

Doing what pp suggested will basically end up a vegetable soup with some beef in it. You won't get the deep beef flavor if you all them meat was already cooked.

Do you have any extra uncooked meat, even a little bit? if so, by sauteeing the raw meat first at high temperature you can get some nice browning flavors you won't get if you throw the cooked roast into the soup.

I'm just always looking for a way to use up leftover roast.

I'm just always looking for a way to use up leftover roast.

If you get a few beef bones from the meat counter or a farmers' market vendor, you can make fabulous beef stock very inexpensively and and freeze it, ready for soup-making! I make mine in the crock pot overnight. 

Roast the bones and some veggies (onion and carrots are my go-to ones), throw them plus some raw veggies, a few peppercorns, a bay leaf and a splash of cider vinegar into the pot, full with water and simmer for a long time. I don't usually add salt to my stock. I add it later when I make the soup. 

I'd do what the posters above suggested, except add the chopped beef at the very end, just so that it warms through.  I think it could get really tough if cooked along with the vegetables.

I agree with this. The meat only needs to be heated. You do want it in long enough to add flavor to the soup but not so long as to get tough. One thing you could do is put it in with the onions and garlic and saute it a bit to give the pot some meat flavor. Take it out with a slotted spoon, then put it back in again at the end.

• Like 1

People get leftovers with roast?

It always disappears into my tummy before I can turn it into something else :o

You have to wrap it right up, speak sternly to your family about the cost of beef, threaten them (and yourself) with no food the night of planned soup and guard it with your life.  Keep saying to yourself (2.99-4.99 a pound, 2.99-4.99 a pound. . . .)

• Like 1

Sometimes you just want to use stuff up and make a quick meal. 

If I have leftover cooking liquid from the roast I do throw that in there or store bought broth.

As to when to add the meat, it depends, sometimes I wait until the end and sometimes I just throw everything in at one time. Depends on the meat and my day. 

What is ideal doesn't always happen, some meals are just good enough meals! Still much better than any fast food crap.

• Like 2

Another thing you can to do is to save the broth from the roasting pan. I use an enamel pan for the roast, then put the pan on the burner to make gravy from the drippings. Usually, I have leftover gravy (and not always meat). But the gravy or broth works great for stews and stroganoff.

You have to wrap it right up, speak sternly to your family about the cost of beef, threaten them (and yourself) with no food the night of planned soup and guard it with your life.  Keep saying to yourself (2.99-4.99 a pound, 2.99-4.99 a pound. . . .)

Yup. If I want leftovers for stew or stroganoff (what I usually make with leftover roast), I separate out what I want BEFORE serving the roast. Then, threaten everyone's life to stay out of it!  :lol:

• Like 1