Menu

Help with incontinent senior

Okra

Help me think this through.  MIL is 90 years old, and is now incontinent.  She wears Depends, but sometimes has had leaks, so urine has gotten into the sofa cushions.

SO, we need to do something with the sofa.  MIL does not want a new sofa. She loves her sofa, and any and all change is hard for her these days.  So, we are considering upholstering her sofa.  

Do we upholster it in basically the same fabric (which is what MIL wants and would make her very happy) 

OR  

Do we upholster it in something waterproof-ish? (which would be an awkward conversation and I know she wouldn't like it)

I am leaning toward upholstering it in the same fabric because this is her house and her sofa and it would make her happy at 90 years old.  But, I need ideas on how to keep it from becoming soiled.

Are there any waterproof pads that would look nice to put on top of the sofa and then wash them?  I can't seem to find any that look nice to put on the sofa....

What have others done in this situation?

Thanks for the ideas.

Edited by Okra

If you are having it reupholstered, could have something waterproof put UNDER the upholstery fabric?  Then the fabric would be able to be cleaned (natures miracle or something) but the cushion itself wouldn't get soaked.  

The cushion would be the hard part to get fully clean.

• Like 10

Do the cushion covers come off?  Ours do (they have a zipper along the back/bottom of the cushion), so during potty training phases I spread disposable puppy piddle pads on top of the cushion inside the cover.  No one even knows they are there, but in case of an accident, only the cover gets wet, not the cushion foam that will hold the smell.

Wendy

• Like 4

I recently saw some waterproof furniture covers on QVC :  http://www.qvc.com/Sure-Fit-Sofa-Plush-Comfort-Waterproof-Furniture-Cover.product.H212310.html?sc=SRCH

We have a non-waterproof cover made by the same company for a chair.   I'm happy with the quality, but since ours isn't the waterproof material I don't know how well it would work.   There are probably some customer reviews to check out if this would be an option.  

I would do as little as possible to the sofa. I'd probably put disposable waterproof pads inside the cushions like previous posters have recommended, and maybe get a CHEAP washable slipcover. The sofa is pretty much toast after MIL no longer needs it, and she is going to continue having accidents on it, so why put a lot of money into it?  Unfortunately, this situation will be likely be changing soon one way or the other due to MIL's age.  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 2

Do the cushion covers come off?  Ours do (they have a zipper along the back/bottom of the cushion), so during potty training phases I spread disposable puppy piddle pads on top of the cushion inside the cover.  No one even knows they are there, but in case of an accident, only the cover gets wet, not the cushion foam that will hold the smell.

Wendy

Omg, why have I not thought of this? 

Upholster in whatever way she wants, but then line the couch with blue pads (AKA chuks) and cover that with a pretty, washable throw.  You should consider a better quality diaper for adults; North Shore Care Supply can help you find what you are looking for and will even send you samples of what you want to try/are considering.

Edited by reefgazer
  • Like 1

When we got new furniture in our living room, I ordered extra fabric for the chair that my disabled dd would sit in. It is machine washable fabric. I sewed it over waterproof fabric, making a little pad that just sits on top of the chair when dd is in it. Then if her diaper leaks, I just wash that pad. When company comes over, I remove the pad. I didn't do a great job sewing it--hiring that out to a seamstress probably would have been smart. But it works.

• Like 2

Would you consider a wool, instead of disposable or plastic?  They obviously cost more, but work so well and lend themselves better to leaving her with a sense of dignity IMO. (Although the plastic pee pad under the zippered cushion cover is brilliant!)  They FEEL so much better, too, IMO if it's anything like sleeping on a bed that's wrapped in a plastic cover. 

So with wool, you could get a true puddle pad. It would look like a flat blanket. You could use it as is, or you could disguise it as a blanket by making a washable duvet for it. If you buy two, you could rotate them daily (one on the sofa, one washing/drying).

With wool you could also go the cloth diaper route where it's a chunky knit (also disguised as a blanket). Knit blankets on sofas aren't unusual at all :) nobody needs to know it's actually a waterproof barrier! I'd probably get 2-3 identical ones so that they look the same to her but - again - could be rotated daily for ease of washing. 

I love that your attitude is "hey, she's 90, let her have what makes her happy"  :001_wub: