Menu

Dinner is a bust

Night Elf

I tried making enchiladas with ground beef and we don't like the consistency of it. So we're going out to eat tonight for burgers and fries. 

I feel terrible I ruined a whole  dinner. Normally I only make chicken enchiladas. I didn't have anything else planned for dinner. This doesn't happen often but when it does, I feel stupid. 

In all the years you have been preparing meals for your family, how many times have you had fails?

The point I am trying to make is that your successes likely statistically outweigh fails by a gazillion percent. Don't be too hard on yourself and enjoy those fries!

• Like 4

Let me make you feel better by telling you my best dinner disaster story. I had ground chicken browning in a pan, and the phone rang. I picked it up, left the stovetop on during the entire call, and wound up setting off the smoke alarm, blackening the ground chicken beyond all help, ruining the frying pan, and melting my Pampered Chef mix-and-chop tool. Doh!

Enjoy your burger! (But I'd choose onion rings over the fries any day! 😉)

• Like 3

You didn't ruin dinner.  You tried something new and it didn't work out.  That's not a failure.  

I try a lot of new things, and they don't always work out.  If I considered them failures, I'd give up trying new things, and we'd get so bored.   So, don't consider it a failure and don't feel bad about it.  

• Like 2

I still think back to the time I tried a new recipe that contained something like 2 cups of mayonnaise and somehow that didn't set off alarm bells in my head. Nobody could eat it, it was so bad.

I do that sometimes.  I've cooked thousands of meals and have tried hundreds (scores? dozens?) of new recipes.  And yet I will still sometimes just blindly follow a recipe that I ought to know is just wrong.  Of course I figure it out at the first bite!  

I consider myself to be a very good cook and I still have occasional meals that don't work.  Most recently was a lemon pepper chicken.  I used a different blend than normal and it was much saltier.  We could barely eat it but we mustered to get enough down so that no one starved and then the next night I recreated into sandwiches (boiled it to draw out the excess salt and then added fried cabbage since they takes up a lot of salt and added cream cheese again to buffer the flavors and added dill).  One of my daughters thought it was one of the best sandwiches ever.  We don't have the budget to toss food or go out to eat so we have just learned occasionally mom really messes up but they like 95% of my food so once in a while they just have to suck it up.  It happens to everyone once in a while, don't beat yourself up over it.

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 2