Menu

PSA: Eclipse and Eye Safety

MommyLiberty5013

I just read an article posted by an optometrist that even with the glasses everyone is buying, eye damage can still be done. Irreparable eye damage...

He's worried kids will attempt to peak around the glasses and even adults who use them will have damage due to the radiation.

His advice is to do indirect viewing.

Just wanted to share that. To view a host of articles on the topic, Google 'optometrist warns against eclipse'

• Like 5

I asked our ever-so-awesome eye doctor (Dr. Sarah), who voiced concern in a FB group about people saying they were go get "risk it" and not use the glasses, "Are the glasses providing enough protection if they ARE used?" and she said "Yes, with the glasses, you will be fine."

• Like 1

I think we're just going to watch in online.  We aren't in the path of totality and I waited too long to order glasses anyway.  We also have a skylight that we get a square of sunlight in the afternoon and I was going to see what kind of effect we get just watching the way the light is projected on the floor.

• Like 2

I asked our ever-so-awesome eye doctor (Dr. Sarah), who voiced concern in a FB group about people saying they were go get "risk it" and not use the glasses, "Are the glasses providing enough protection if they ARE used?" and she said "Yes, with the glasses, you will be fine."

Our eye doctor said the same thing. And his practice is giving out the glasses for free. The first day is for current patients. The second day, whatever is leftover goes to anyone that shows up.

• Like 2

I fully expect the week after the eclipse for there to be news reports about people who damaged their eyes because they didn't use the right glasses or use them properly.

We bought our glasses at our local planetarium on Saturday and I trust them. But I like the idea of looking st your shoes before and after to make sure your eyes are clear before taking the glasses off.

So here's a question. I checked our glasses by looking at a light bulb through them as recommended in an article I read online. According to the article, if there was absolutely NO light visible through the glasses, then they should be safe for viewing the eclipse. Then I received the email from Amazon that said these glasses could not be verified as safe. I have extra pairs of these (I bought a five-pack, but now only two of us will be here). Could it be safe to view the eclipse with these glasses if we double up and wear two pairs? 

I've seen it too. It makes some fair points about the need for supervision if kids are looking through them, but I do wonder why people would give more credence to an unknown-to-them optometrist who wrote (at least according to what the post claims) a Facebook post than they do to other professional advice that has been published by NASA and others, which are very familiar with eclipse viewing and how to do so safely. It's not as if eclipses aren't a regular occurrence around the world. 

Edited by Word Nerd
  • Like 4

Two comments:

I have ISO certified eclipse glasses that I purchased in April. Just want to note that on the glasses themselves it says they are limited to 3 minutes of continuous use. Personally I can't imagine staring at the sun for long even with the glasses--I'll be checking on it briefly from time to time. The glasses do block out almost all light. You can't see anything if you put them on until you look right at the sun, then you can see an orange disc surrounded by black.

We went to a presentation on the eclipse by our local astronomy club (we're in the path of totality, so lots of excitement here). An old man in the audience was talking about viewing an eclipse when he was a kid. He went to an eye doctor as an adult and the doctor asked him if he had viewed an eclipse because of the damage he could see on his retina! So the man himself didn't notice it and didn't go blind, but he did permanently damage his retina.

• Like 1

#14 welder's glasses are listed as okay. So if you or someone in your family welds, or you have a welding supply company around the corner...

I just don't want to risk damaging my eyes and we are not going to be in a good location for it anyway. I figure I'll catch it next time, in about 375 years. lol.

timeanddate dot com has wonderful graphics for the eclipse for each area in the U.S.

• Like 2

I think this is the type of thing where there will always be those who are on the extreme end of cautiousness and then those who are on the extreme end of stupidity.  We picked up glasses I trust at the planetarium at DD21's college.  They are manufactured by one of the approved companies and I trust them.  So, we started our practice today.  I showed the kids how to look at their feet, then put the glasses on, then look up, then look down at their feet again before taking them off.  The only one who had trouble following directions was DS4, but I am sure that he will get it.  And if he doesn't, then he won't get to watch.  We will be practicing all week for a few minutes each day, as part of our eclipse week lessons.  But as a mom with just 3 kids at home, I am confident in my ability to teach and supervise my kids in this...OR know when they CAN'T handle it and not allow it.  But I think it only makes sense for eye docs and other professionals to be overly cautious when there ARE counterfeit glasses out there AND there are people out there who are saying they are going "to risk it."   If I had kids in school, I would rather a teacher who is not confident in her abiliy to supervise the entire class and ensure their safety to just not do a viewing.  And I think each parent has to make that determination for their own kid.  I think this is a situation where a blanket warning isn't really applicable to everyone.

Thank you for the great practice idea!