Menu

Which job option would you choose?

Southern Ivy

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which option would you choose?

• EARLY morning hours (like 3am-7am), then 20 hours with the daytime job
    • 40 hours with the daytime job, then minimal hours with the early morning job
    • Other (please let me know your suggestions)

Ok, so here's the scenario...

We will be homeschooling my daughter this year and she will be going to at least 1 therapy, maybe 2; so I will definitely need to maintain some flexible hours with work.
She is 5, so it won't be intensive homeschooling. 

My current jobs are both at-home jobs and both very flexible scheduling. Based on income right now, it is better if I do both in some capacity. 
I currently work approximately 20 hours for both jobs. 

Job 1: Online English classes for Chinese kids; The pay is double my other job, but the hours are SO early, like I get up at 3:00 or 3:30 most days. However, I am done by 7:30am. 

Job 2: Insurance billing/payment posting - we do contract work for a large company. Typically easy work and I can work and take off whenever so long as I get my hours in. 

So, right now, I do 20 hours for both jobs. I'm ok with what I'm doing now, but I know that my company is more than likely getting ready to do a large expansion and I know my boss needs an assistant. I would like to do something like that and she had mentioned that she had me in mind, but I had just asked her to drop to 20 hours, so that wasn't very feasible. 

Some of my cons: 
I'm technically "off" on Sundays, but with church, I don't really feel like I have a day off. 
I am not getting enough sleep with the first job. I'm averaging about 6 hours a night. I typically get sick if I don't have 8 hours, so I'm pushing through, but I'm feeling the toll. 
I like the teaching job, but my pay is based on parents scheduling me and based on parents ratings of my teaching. So far, so good; but the pay isn't "guaranteed" like the insurance job. 

I can't decide if I want to talk to my boss and tell her I'd go back to 40 hours and be her assistant or if I want to just keep it like it is with 20 hours for both jobs. 
(If I did the insurance job, I'm not sure if I'd still try to do 10 hours a week with the teaching or not.) I just can't figure out if I'm going all "grass is greener" or if it's a better decision. 
Both options would be fine for homeschooling. 

What would you do? :)

Edited by Southern Ivy

If you are not getting enough sleep with the early morning job, your health suffers, and you won't be an effective parent either. I don't think this is a sustainable schedule unless you have an adult to relieve you so you can sleep in the afternoon or go to bed really early. 

I vote for the daytime job. For me personally, enough sleep to function is my top priority.

ETA: If you love teaching, look for an opportunity that allows you to teach during normal waking hours.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

I don't think that the online teaching job is sustainable for you since you already feel the strain.

I was doing 20 hours with it and 40 hours with the insurance job and that was awful. (I was trying to build up my schedule and get regular students.) 

I like both jobs, but I really do think the lack of sleep is taking a toll. 

As long as your hours can continue to be flexible, I'd go with the insurance job.   Homeschooling a 5-year-old won't take much time each day, but the amount of time you'll need to devote to homeschooling will increase some each year as your DD gets older.   I would make sure that increasing to 40 hours with the insurance job won't interfere with your supervision of your DD's schooling or the back-and-forth for therapies before committing to it.

• Like 1

As long as your hours can continue to be flexible, I'd go with the insurance job.   Homeschooling a 5-year-old won't take much time each day, but the amount of time you'll need to devote to homeschooling will increase some each year as your DD gets older.   I would make sure that increasing to 40 hours with the insurance job won't interfere with your supervision of your DD's schooling or the back-and-forth for therapies before committing to it.

I really don't think it will. We're almost all stay-at-home moms and the "big boss" makes it so we are very flexible for our children. As long as I let them know I have therapies on certain days, we can make sure those hours are covered. I'd probably take my laptop and sign in on the hospital internet as well. 

I might be assuming way too much with the assistant thing, but I bet she'd go for it since she was thinking about it earlier. 

I would take the insurance job and try to up my skills such that I could get a higher paying job. Do you have any interest in accounting?

Not in the least. I am not a numbers person. 

At this point, my income is just to pay off my student loans and then to just save some extra money towards purchasing a home. We live off DH's income for everything else. If I did another job, I'd probably go back to school for something like speech pathology or some other therapy. 

Not in the least. I am not a numbers person. 

At this point, my income is just to pay off my student loans and then to just save some extra money towards purchasing a home. We live off DH's income for everything else. If I did another job, I'd probably go back to school for something like speech pathology or some other therapy. 

Well, for speech & language pathology the ESL tutoring would actually be more helpful. SLP master's are very competitive (even the "less competitive" ones accept 25% of their applicants or less) and the insurance job won't help your application the way that the tutoring would. Sorry!

I really don't think it will. We're almost all stay-at-home moms and the "big boss" makes it so we are very flexible for our children. As long as I let them know I have therapies on certain days, we can make sure those hours are covered. I'd probably take my laptop and sign in on the hospital internet as well. 

I might be assuming way too much with the assistant thing, but I bet she'd go for it since she was thinking about it earlier. 

One thing to think about (and you don't have to answer here, just think about it). Will you want your daughter to participate in any outside activities during the day? Like homeschool co-ops or park days or whatever..... If so, how will that work with the increased hours during the day?

• Like 1

Where is the 5 year old when you're working?  If there's another adult in the household, what's their schedule?

While homeschooling a 5 year old might not take much time, parenting a 5 year old sure seemed time consuming to me.  I'm not clear what the 5 year old would be doing when you're working all those hours.

Also, if the part time job pays twice as much per hour, couldn't you do that for 20 hours a week, and stop there?  It would be the same amount of money as 40 hours at the other job.  

One thing to think about (and you don't have to answer here, just think about it). Will you want your daughter to participate in any outside activities during the day? Like homeschool co-ops or park days or whatever..... If so, how will that work with the increased hours during the day?

We'd participate in one on Fridays, so that could be worked around. I would probably work on Sunday evening to accommodate that. 

Where is the 5 year old when you're working?  If there's another adult in the household, what's their schedule?

While homeschooling a 5 year old might not take much time, parenting a 5 year old sure seemed time consuming to me.  I'm not clear what the 5 year old would be doing when you're working all those hours.

Also, if the part time job pays twice as much per hour, couldn't you do that for 20 hours a week, and stop there?  It would be the same amount of money as 40 hours at the other job.  

At this point in time, to be able to pay the student loans, I need to work both. :/ It's almost making up the income I was making before I worked from home. 

Dd is home. I currently teach 4am-7:30am. Then, I work 1.5-2 hours on the insurance job while Dd is still asleep or just waking up/eating breakfast. Then, I may work another hour in the afternoon, then another hour of the early evening. 

The amount of time I have available for her during the day is nice.

If the 40-hr assistant job schedule would work for you, then 40 hrs with the insurance job and none with the early morning job.

By cutting out the early morning job completely, I'd be losing about $800-1000. :/ 

Currently, working 40 hours between both jobs, I'm making what I would make if I worked 60 hours with the insurance job. So, that's why the decision is hard. It's going to be a pretty big paycut. :/ 

Maybe it's because I have a super extroverted only child, but I can't imagine asking my 5 year old to amuse themselves 40 hours a week so I could work.

If you'd make the same amount of $ working 20 hours at the a.m. job, that you would 40 hours at the daytime job, I'd be tempted to drop the daytime job, and use a few of those hours for a nap while she watches a documentary or something.  You'd end up with more sleep, and more family time, and the same income.  

• Like 1

Maybe it's because I have a super extroverted only child, but I can't imagine asking my 5 year old to amuse themselves 40 hours a week so I could work.

If you'd make the same amount of $ working 20 hours at the a.m. job, that you would 40 hours at the daytime job, I'd be tempted to drop the daytime job, and use a few of those hours for a nap while she watches a documentary or something. You'd end up with more sleep, and more family time, and the same income.

A 5 year old is sleeping 10 to 12 hours a day ....mom I s sleeping 8 hours a day. So that is potentially 4 hours a day where kid is occupied. Add in several hours a week of therapy where mom can take her computer and work while kid is occupied and you really do t end up with that much 'free time' for 5 year old.

This is hard.   The tutoring one pays so much more.  Is that one really stable though?   Do you always get your hours? 

I would maybe do that and then just take a nap.   She is old enough to have a nap or rest hour where she entertains herself playing  and listening to books while you sleep. 

Is there any way your partner can take over kid duty the second he gets home and you go to bed?  If you're going to work an early morning shift, you really have to allow yourself to live like a shift worker, including light blocking shades and going to bed at 7pm.  

I just see the dollars to hours ratio and think, if there is a way to make the early shift work and still get enough sleep... then do it.  

A 5 year old is sleeping 10 to 12 hours a day ....mom I s sleeping 8 hours a day. So that is potentially 4 hours a day where kid is occupied. Add in several hours a week of therapy where mom can take her computer and work while kid is occupied and you really do t end up with that much 'free time' for 5 year old.

But working when her child is sleeping is what isn't working right now.  Giving up a third of her income, and still waking up at 3:30 to get in 4 hours of work isn't the answer.

I think that some of the answer is going to depend on her own internal clock.  For some people working 8 - midnight and then sleeping 12 - 8 (assuming her kid is sleeping 8 - 8) would work better than sleeping 8 - 4, and then working 4 - 8.  

If there's another adult in the household who can take over kid duty, either to let her work, or to let her sleep, that could be a solution.

But I'd try really hard to see if I could problem solve the sleep issue before I gave up on the job that paid twice as much and that I enjoyed.

But working when her child is sleeping is what isn't working right now. Giving up a third of her income, and still waking up at 3:30 to get in 4 hours of work isn't the answer.

I think that some of the answer is going to depend on her own internal clock. For some people working 8 - midnight and then sleeping 12 - 8 (assuming her kid is sleeping 8 - 8) would work better than sleeping 8 - 4, and then working 4 - 8.

If there's another adult in the household who can take over kid duty, either to let her work, or to let her sleep, that could be a solution.

But I'd try really hard to see if I could problem solve the sleep issue before I gave up on the job that paid twice as much and that I enjoyed.

The job that pays twice as much is the one causing the sleep problem because it begins at 3 a.m.

If she worked from 8-10 p.m. And 6-8 a.m. That would be half of her work day. And she could sleep from 10:30 until 5:30. Which is more hours and more in line with a normal sleep/ work schedule

The job that pays twice as much is the one causing the sleep problem because it begins at 3 a.m.

If she worked from 8-10 p.m. And 6-8 a.m. That would be half of her work day. And she could sleep from 10:30 until 5:30. Which is more hours and more in line with a normal sleep/ work schedule

Yes, but the question is whether working from 8 - 10 and from 6 - 8, and getting the same amount of sleep she gets now, would make enough of a difference in her sleep to make the other 20 hours a week she'd need to work worth it.

This is hard.   The tutoring one pays so much more.  Is that one really stable though?   Do you always get your hours? 

I would maybe do that and then just take a nap.   She is old enough to have a nap or rest hour where she entertains herself playing  and listening to books while you sleep. 

It's pretty stable. I'd like to get 20 hours a week. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I get 17. It's still good though. 

That is hard. I would have a difficult working the same amount of hours for less pay. Are you able to go to bed two hours earlier? or take a good nap? Can you add more hours with the higher paying job?

That's my issue as well. I go to bed around 9, typically. If I went to bed earlier, I would barely ever see my husband. I COULD add another hour of the morning, but that's hard with my daughter getting up and stuff. But, we could work on expectations. 

Is there any way your partner can take over kid duty the second he gets home and you go to bed?  If you're going to work an early morning shift, you really have to allow yourself to live like a shift worker, including light blocking shades and going to bed at 7pm.  

I just see the dollars to hours ratio and think, if there is a way to make the early shift work and still get enough sleep... then do it.  

His job is pretty variable depending on the projects he has. He's good about putting her to bed and letting me go to bed early, but going to bed that early cuts drastically into time that I get to see him. :( 

But working when her child is sleeping is what isn't working right now.  Giving up a third of her income, and still waking up at 3:30 to get in 4 hours of work isn't the answer.

I think that some of the answer is going to depend on her own internal clock.  For some people working 8 - midnight and then sleeping 12 - 8 (assuming her kid is sleeping 8 - 8) would work better than sleeping 8 - 4, and then working 4 - 8.  

Scarlet is correct. The 2x pay is the early morning job. 

Right now, I could do an 8-10pm shift. However, when the kids go back to school, that's during their school day and highly unlikely to be booked. I do get extra hours in by working 9pm-2am on Friday nights then sleeping in on Saturday. 

I'd take the one that pays more, but only you know what's more important to you.  IME therapists can often work you into morning hours quite easily.

That's kind of where I'm leaning. 

DH and I talked about it and it really makes no sense monetarily/hourly to cut back on the online teaching job. I think I'm going to schedule things a bit differently and make sure I have a day that I don't work either job at all. 
I think if I do that and if I make it a top priority to go to bed earlier, then I'll be fine. If I can add more hours to it, then I could potentially quit the other job, which would be a better.

• Like 3