Menu

12yo independence issue

musicianmom

Yes, I've let my kids do that much younger.  At 10yo (their current age) it's not even a question.  FTR my youngest is about 4'4" and I still have zero qualms about letting her go to the room alone.

Maybe if we were in a really shady location....

I doubt I'd be willing to stay in a place so sketchy I wouldn't allow it.

The only reservation I'd have is she might get lost, in which case I would suggest she wait if she wasn't sure.  I'd let my dd9 do the same, and ds7 with a reminder not to run.

But, she babysits other kids regularly, walks to lessons, shops, and other places.  She walked ds to his ballet lesson and got him ready one day when I was sick.  A hotel hallway isn't that scary.

• Like 4

I doubt I'd be willing to stay in a place so sketchy I wouldn't allow it.

The only reservation I'd have is she might get lost, in which case I would suggest she wait if she wasn't sure.  I'd let my dd9 do the same, and ds7 with a reminder not to run.

But, she babysits other kids regularly, walks to lessons, shops, and other places.  She walked ds to his ballet lesson and got him ready one day when I was sick.  A hotel hallway isn't that scary.

+1

I would have let her. But then, I let my DD take public transit to/from school at 10 in an urban area and DS was walking to school by himself most of the time by the second semester of K (he only had to walk through our complex then cross one neighborhood street to get to the block the school is on, takes 5-10 minutes).

I probably wouldn't have let my 6 yo, but my 13 yo I probably would have as young as 9.

Hotel, I'm not sure. I let dd8 and ds11 go up to the room from breakfast because dh was there or vise versa when we were in a hotel last spring. I insisted they stay together and that you don't under any circumstances go into someone else's room. If someone where to ask you for help, know that it is not normal for an adult to ask a kid for help, and go the other way. So we were careful. It wasn't a big hotel.

I let them walk together to the library 1/2 mile down our street. We live in a safe little town with town police and campus police using our street all the time. The station is behind the library. I think the kids are pretty street smart and there isn't going to be anything untoward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hotel, I'm not sure. I let dd8 and ds11 go up to the room from breakfast because dh was there or vise versa when we were in a hotel last spring. I insisted they stay together and that you don't under any circumstances go into someone else's room. If someone where to ask you for help, know that it is not normal for an adult to ask a kid for help, and go the other way. So we were careful. It wasn't a big hotel.

I let them walk together to the library 1/2 mile down our street. We live in a safe little town with town police and campus police using our street all the time. The station is behind the library. I think the kids are pretty street smart and there isn't going to be anything untoward.

You have to figure out what risks you'll take and when to take them based on your gut.

I just remembered this- when I was 12 I went on vacation with my friend to Vegas. Her parents put she and I, and her 14yo brother and his friend, all in a cab to Circus Circus, where we hung out all day long. Then we took a cab back to their hotel.

I wouldn't let my own kids do that. But yes, I would let my 12yo go back to the hotel room.