Menu

Spin Off - Disney

tdbates78

Look, if WDW isn't your thing, cool. There are lots of things that other folks seem to love and invest in that bewilder me. (Sports? I mean, really?) However, to be fair, that $1,200 figure wasn't for a single day of "walking around a fancy amusement park." Judging from the OPs comments about the number and ages of her kids, that sounds like three days' worth of admission for four people. 

Compare that to the cost of tickets to, say, a Broadway show, which can easily top $100 a head to enjoy a two-hour performance. For not much more, you can have a full day at WDW.

And, unlike other amusement parks some folks may be used to, at WDW, once you are through the gates, the only additional costs are for food and souvenirs and other "extras." Every ride and attraction and show inside the parks is included. 

WDW parks are also far from being "concrete jungles." Every park is gorgeously landscaped and managed in surprisingly eco-responsible ways. (Not saying they are perfect, not by a long shot, but they do try to be thoughtful and responsible about things.)

There are many opportunities for educational experiences (some of which do require extra fees). During my kids' homeschooling years, we took a lot of field trips to WDW in conjunction with topics they were studying -- everything from science to social studies and more. While I would love to be in a financial position to whisk my kids off to Europe or Asia when we finished a unit study about a certain country, that wasn't in the cards. But we could totally go to Epcot.

So, like I said, if WDW doesn't appeal to your family, that's fair, but the negative and dismissive tone of your posts didn't sit right with me.

Agree Agree Agree.

I had been to both WDW and DL as a kid.  I felt the pressure to take our kids there.  We went to DL on the end of a huge road trip visiting national parks.  I was really upset about it after we went.  Huge waste of money.  The kids hated it.   They hated the walking, the crowds, the lines.  It was not as much fun as being in the NP.   They didn't have any clue as to what going to Disney meant. 

It wasn't as peaceful

It wasn't as pretty. 

But we went back.  And both times we did have fun.  And yes thinking of the cost of one whole day there vs going to see a show for 2 hours is nuts.  We were going to give the kids tickets to Broadway show but then took them to Disney instead.   It wasn't my cup of tee the first time.  I love the national parks.  But It is fun in it's own way.  And I see why people go.  It is easy.  It is all in one place.   There is so much to do.   You don't have to do the planning it just happens. 

To compare going to DW to a trip to Europe that was paid with FF miles isn't the same.  You would have to include the cost of the tickets that got you there to be a fair thing. 

Now is a trip to a national park or a beach cheaper than going to Disney?   For sure it is.  For sure.  

And some people may not deem that money worth it.  To each their own.  

And some people love it and come back every year. 

• Like 2

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, if WDW isn't your thing, cool. There are lots of things that other folks seem to love and invest in that bewilder me. (Sports? I mean, really?) However, to be fair, that $1,200 figure wasn't for a single day of "walking around a fancy amusement park." Judging from the OPs comments about the number and ages of her kids, that sounds like three days' worth of admission for four people. 

Compare that to the cost of tickets to, say, a Broadway show, which can easily top $100 a head to enjoy a two-hour performance. For not much more, you can have a full day at WDW.

And, unlike other amusement parks some folks may be used to, at WDW, once you are through the gates, the only additional costs are for food and souvenirs and other "extras." Every ride and attraction and show inside the parks is included. 

WDW parks are also far from being "concrete jungles." Every park is gorgeously landscaped and managed in surprisingly eco-responsible ways. (Not saying they are perfect, not by a long shot, but they do try to be thoughtful and responsible about things.)

There are many opportunities for educational experiences (some of which do require extra fees). During my kids' homeschooling years, we took a lot of field trips to WDW in conjunction with topics they were studying -- everything from science to social studies and more. While I would love to be in a financial position to whisk my kids off to Europe or Asia when we finished a unit study about a certain country, that wasn't in the cards. But we could totally go to Epcot.

So, like I said, if WDW doesn't appeal to your family, that's fair, but the negative and dismissive tone of your posts didn't sit right with me.

As beautifully landscaped as they are, they are still essentially man-made parks. The US has loads of natural wonders and historically significant man-made sites, many of which I have visited and enjoyed immensely. Most of these are free of change, by the way. I don't see Americans spending thousands of dollars visiting their national parks with the same vigor as they spend on Disney.

Disney is a business. I'm not personally attacking the US. I'm just not thrilled with multi-million dollar corporation of Disney. It's really quite interesting how many people seem so dedicated to defending it. 

• Like 1

Re relative costs of Disney vs overseas locations: From CT, we have to fly.... and airfare to Orlando during school vacation (my kids go to b&m school) 

I'm sure we would have gone much less often if we had been tied to a school schedule! When you homeschool, you can go when costs are considerably less and crowds are considerably lower. That definitely adds to the magic.

(now moving on to a general thoughts, not in response to your specific post) 

I wish I could "love" Jenny in Florida's post. Why can't people just say, oh, I myself like such-and-such, without being so dismissive or ugly about other people's interests? It really is possible to talk about the vacations you enjoy without snarky comments about Disney being for people who prefer the fake over the real, who prefer ugly concrete to beautiful nature, who don't want new or real experiences. 

I love Disney World. I also love nature; heck, I own 25 acres of it. Yes, we have gone to Disney repeatedly. We've also gone to the beach and the mountains, to caves and caverns, to small towns and big cities. We go to museums and live performances and ethnic festivals. We go zip lining and parasailing and hiking. Enjoying Disney World does not automatically make one shallow and uninterested in 'real' experiences, lol. 

But you know what? If someone does only go to Disney World, and that makes them happy, then good for them! If you never want to go to Disney World, and that makes you happy, then good for you! If you never go on vacation because you spend all of your money attending sporting events, and that makes you happy, then good for you! I love that there are so many different people in the world, with all of their weird little interests. 

In addition to Disney World, my family goes to comic/pop cons, so we get a truly endless stream of dismissive comments, lol. 

• Like 8

Now is a trip to a national park or a beach cheaper than going to Disney?   For sure it is.  For sure.  

Not for sure. Because we can always go to Disney at non-peak times, a week at the beach does not cost that much less. If we didn't cook at the beach, that difference would disappear. The beach has an off season as well, but it's definitely not a plus to go at that time if you want the typical beach experience. 

I'm just not thrilled with multi-million dollar corporation of Disney. It's really quite interesting how many people seem so dedicated to defending it. 

Mickey would like to point out that the proper word is billion. 

I don't think people are defending the "corporation of Disney." At least, I'm not. I'm just defending the idea that it's perfectly okay to enjoy visiting Disney World! And a little rude to 'wonder' how on earth people like all the fakery and concrete and so on.  

Unless you only visit national parks, any vacation is going to make use of businesses with a profit motive. The airline, the hotel, the attractions - it's pretty hard to travel without handing over money to a business. Even the city itself usually takes a very business-like approach to tourism, complete with advertisements and promotions. 

You seem distressed about national parks getting short shrift, so you might be reassured to know that many more people visit them than Disney World - about 300 million versus 72 million. National parks win in a landslide! 

Edited by katilac
  • Like 2

I hope nobody thought my comments were snarky, as they werent meant to be. I posted several times that I can understand the lure of Disney, even if its not my thing. My OP was mainly my surprise as my daughter not loving it.

As far as FF miles to Europe, two of the 4 were covered. The other two were $400 each roundtrip to Zurich. I eish I never brought up Europe. I get that its not a fair comparison. My point was mainly the high cost of Disney vs a recent trip we took in which we spent close to the same budget. But yes, completely different and not fair. I apologise.

I can appreciate Disney for what it is. The landscaping is gorgeous. The theming is unlike any I've seen. My girls loved being referred to as "princesses" by the staff :)

Its just expensive, to us, for something none of us were overly excited about. We do like theme parks. We have had season passes to Carowinds,our local park, for 4 years now and was just there this morning.

Everyone has their personal preference as to what is worth spending their money on. We are just as happy hiking nearby in the Smoky Mountains, spending a week at the beach, visiting my hometown of STL as we are going to Europe or a big vacation. We like to travel, wherever and whenever. Its dissapointing when something doesnt work out but thats life. I have no regrets about visiting WDW, even if we chose not to return.

I will say that I felt the need to justify our not liking Disney several times during this thread by those that love it. I was mearly asking if anyone else's kids didnt care for it. Instead I've been given thoughts and suggestions as to why we probably didnt like it. Its fine. I get the love. But its okay if it isnt someone else's vision of a dream vacation. If we all loved WDW imagine how busy it would be :)

Edited by tdbates78
  • Like 4

Not for sure. Because we can always go to Disney at non-peak times, a week at the beach does not cost that much less. If we didn't cook at the beach, that difference would disappear. The beach has an off season as well, but it's definitely not a plus to go at that time if you want the typical beach experience. 

Mickey would like to point out that the proper word is billion. 

I don't think people are defending the "corporation of Disney." At least, I'm not. I'm just defending the idea that it's perfectly okay to enjoy visiting Disney World! And a little rude to 'wonder' how on earth people like all the fakery and concrete and so on.  

Unless you only visit national parks, any vacation is going to make use of businesses with a profit motive. The airline, the hotel, the attractions - it's pretty hard to travel without handing over money to a business. Even the city itself usually takes a very business-like approach to tourism, complete with advertisements and promotions. 

You seem distressed about national parks getting short shrift, so you might be reassured to know that many more people visit them than Disney World - about 300 million versus 72 million. National parks win in a landslide! 

I am not distressed about the national parks at all.   Coming off our trip that is why I didn't like Disney the first time we went.  But now I like it.  I wouldn't say that is where I want to go on every vacation, but I do like it.   Going once in a while is fun. 

I have only been to Disney in the off season.  I am not sure how it is much cheaper doing that.  Some hotels are a bit cheaper and tickets might be just a tad less expensive.  But not much.

Not sure how you spend the same going to the beach as Disney.   Again we go in the off season and have the typical beach experience.   Swimming, shells, sand, .....

We only pay maybe a state fee to get into a beach or parking.   Not 100 ish bucks per person. 

• Like 1

I hope nobody thought my comments were snarky, as they werent meant to be. I posted several times that I can understand the lure of Disney, even if its not my thing. My OP was mainly my surprise as my daughter not loving it.

As far as FF miles to Europe, two of the 4 were covered. The other two were $400 each roundtrip to Zurich. I eish I never brought up Europe. I get that its not a fair comparison. My point was mainly the high cost of Disney vs a recent trip we took in which we spent close to the same budget. But yes, completely different and not fair. I apologise.

I can appreciate Disney for what it is. The landscaping is gorgeous. The theming is unlike any I've seen. My girls loved being referred to as "princesses" by the staff :)

Its just expensive, to us, for something none of us were overly excited about. We do like theme parks. We have had season passes to Carowinds,our local park, for 4 years now and was just there this morning.

Everyone has their personal preference as to what is worth spending their money on. We are just as happy hiking nearby in the Smoky Mountains, spending a week at the beach, visiting my hometown of STL as we are going to Europe or a big vacation. We like to travel, wherever and whenever. Its dissapointing when something doesnt work out but thats life. I have no regrets about visiting WDW, even if we chose not to return.

I will say that I felt the need to justify our not liking Disney several times during this thread by those that love it. I was mearly asking if anyone else's kids didnt care for it. Instead I've been given thoughts and suggestions as to why we probably didnt like it. Its fine. I get the love. But its okay if it isnt someone else's vision of a dream vacation. If we all loved WDW imagine how busy it would be :)

Well then you would have to add the 1600 to your total for Europe.  

My kids didn't really like it either the first time we went.  It took a day or so for them to get what it really was.   But they had never been to a theme park before that. 

I am glad you went and don't have regrets.  It was worth it to figure out what your family likes and doesn't like on vacations.  Sometimes that is trial by error kind of thing.  

For me it was worth it to go just to cross off my pretend list of things I felt as an mom I HAD to do for my kids.   I honestly felt guilty about not taking them there before that.  So yeah some sort of marketing had gotten into my head or something. 

I do think we should all just relax and let people like what they like instead of judging people on what they like.  

• Like 1

Well then you would have to add the 1600 to your total for Europe.

I do think we should all just relax and let people like what they like instead of judging people on what they like.

Not everyone lives within driving distance to Disney. When I lived in St. Louis, airfare to Orlando was often close to or over $300 each. So in reality its not really a stretch to compare the two, financially, based on where you live.

And that was my point about feeling the need to justify my own opinions. Everyone needs to relax and like what they like!

• Like 3

Not everyone lives within driving distance to Disney. When I lived in St. Louis, airfare to Orlando was often close to or over $300 each. So in reality its not really a stretch to compare the two, financially, based on where you live.

And that was my point about feeling the need to justify my own opinions. Everyone needs to relax and like what they like!

Well yes, people do drive 20 plus hours one way to get to DW because it is cheaper than flying for a family. 

I don't think you have to justify your feelings to me at all.

You can go to Europe for cheaper or the same that you would go to Disney for, even if you include the airfare in both totals.  There are really cheap deals to Europe or other places.  But you can also go to Europe and spend a heck of a lot more.   

I will drive a good distance on trips. Some families won't. 

But that goes to everyone deciding what they like or are willing to do, which makes comparing different types of vacations taken by different types of families not really useful. 

I will drive a good distance on trips. Some families won't.

But that goes to everyone deciding what they like or are willing to do, which makes comparing different types of vacations taken by different types of families not really useful.

Agreed. Which is why I apologized and regret even bring it into the equation.

Don't apologize for it.  I think it is great that you put the $ out there.  I think it opens some minds to see that you can travel to another country for the same or less than you spend at Disney.  I think so many people think that is out of their budget, but it doesn't have to be.  

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about it. I got what you were saying - and suspect most readers did too. ;)

I also think we're all entitled to our opinions and ought to be able to voice them - from "love it and here's all you can do - go there whenever you can" to "hate it - so fake - so crowded."  Maybe it's because I'm in the middle that I don't mind reading the extremes.  We enjoy it there when we go even if we like other places better if one asks.  Where we go on any particular trip depends upon our whims at the time and any other factors to work in.  

I think for those who only get "one" vacation they ought to be able to read the extremes (and everything in between) and figure out which side they align with more to better make their decision on where to spend their money - esp when it can be significant amounts of money.  We all have reasons for our thoughts (pro or con).  I see no problem in stating why we feel as we do.  Those reading can glean what they want and ditch the rest.  We certainly don't all have to agree.  

If you want me to throw in a NP thought, we really didn't care for Mt Rushmore (so much hype - so little to see - though other things around like The Badlands were awesome).  Even though we didn't care for it the first time, we went there again to show it to our nephew as a "Bucket List" thing when we took him along on a road trip.  This refers back to my "where we go on any particular trip depends upon other factors" bit.   :coolgleamA:

• Like 3

Don't apologize for it. I think it is great that you put the $ out there. I think it opens some minds to see that you can travel to another country for the same or less than you spend at Disney. I think so many people think that is out of their budget, but it doesn't have to be.

Thank you! We love to travel but we limit ourselves to what our budget can allow. I kind of think of it as a fun game to see where we can go within our budget. I was just throwing it out as a comparison based on (our) cost, not necessarily trying to compare one to the other in terms of things to do.

• Like 2

I wouldn't worry about it. I got what you were saying - and suspect most readers did too. ;)

I also think we're all entitled to our opinions and ought to be able to voice them - from "love it and here's all you can do - go there whenever you can" to "hate it - so fake - so crowded."  Maybe it's because I'm in the middle that I don't mind reading the extremes.  We enjoy it there when we go even if we like other places better if one asks.  Where we go on any particular trip depends upon our whims at the time and any other factors to work in.  

I think for those who only get "one" vacation they ought to be able to read the extremes (and everything in between) and figure out which side they align with more to better make their decision on where to spend their money - esp when it can be significant amounts of money.  We all have reasons for our thoughts (pro or con).  I see no problem in stating why we feel as we do.  Those reading can glean what they want and ditch the rest.  We certainly don't all have to agree.  

If you want me to throw in a NP thought, we really didn't care for Mt Rushmore (so much hype - so little to see - though other things around like The Badlands were awesome).  Even though we didn't care for it the first time, we went there again to show it to our nephew as a "Bucket List" thing when we took him along on a road trip.  This refers back to my "where we go on any particular trip depends upon other factors" bit.   :coolgleamA:

I really like this. 

• Like 1

Thank you! We love to travel but we limit ourselves to what our budget can allow. I kind of think of it as a fun game to see where we can go within our budget. I was just throwing it out as a comparison based on (our) cost, not necessarily trying to compare one to the other in terms of things to do.

I totally get it.  

I hope you guys get to keep traveling.  I think it is awesome to show people that you can go to places you may have only dreamed of on a budget, and with kids.  

I am not distressed about the national parks at all.   Coming off our trip that is why I didn't like Disney the first time we went.  But now I like it.  I wouldn't say that is where I want to go on every vacation, but I do like it.   Going once in a while is fun. 

I have only been to Disney in the off season.  I am not sure how it is much cheaper doing that.  Some hotels are a bit cheaper and tickets might be just a tad less expensive.  But not much.

Not sure how you spend the same going to the beach as Disney.   Again we go in the off season and have the typical beach experience.   Swimming, shells, sand, .....

We only pay maybe a state fee to get into a beach or parking.   Not 100 ish bucks per person. 

Oh, the national parks comment wasn't directed to you at all, it was in response to the post that directly compared the enthusiasm of Americans for Disney vs the national parks. That's why I quoted that post. 

Where do you go to the beach? The beach for us is not a day trip, it's going and staying for the week. We usually go to the Gulf Coast, it's driving distance for us, and it's really been difficult to find decent rates in the last decade. It's so many more huge condos since all of the rebuilding after Hurricane Katrina, and the off-season tends to be either massive seaweed (yuck) or really a bit cool to reliably swim. I would definitely consider an off-season trip, though, if I could find a nice place with good prices in driving distance - Alabama, Florida (we are in the New Orleans area).  

We've always been able to get a dining plan included in our Disney package, and that helps a lot. So for a beach or mountain vacation, I have to add in groceries for the week at a minimum, and a certain amount of eating out if I don't want to cook all of the time. Which I don't, lol. My husband doesn't drive while at Disney, I don't cook, and neither of us clean. It's magical! 

But I really would like anyone's suggestions for the best time and place to visit the beach on a reasonable budget, 4-5 people. It takes me forever to search, there are sooo many places, and I hate to risk money on a place without at least a recommendation. 

I'm not a huge fan. I enjoy it well enough, but I'd be happy with far fewer visits. My MIL takes us to DL about twice a year. I think it just gets old for me because we can't afford (in time off work mainly) to take a lot of trips through the year so between two disney trips and one trip back to see my family out of state we're out of play time. I would like the kids to experience a vacation *other* than Disney. So I think I'm beginning to get a bit resentful of Disney even though it's not really anything negative about Disney. And then I feel guilty for being resentful since it's a fully paid for trip for me and my kids and I should be grateful. Kids and DH love it. I'm outnumbered. I sigh and do all the prep, all the packing, all the child-entertainment on the drive, and all the clean-up after. All of that possibly contributing to my being "over" disney. 

• Like 1

Where do you go to the beach? The beach for us is not a day trip, it's going and staying for the week. We usually go to the Gulf Coast, it's driving distance for us, and it's really been difficult to find decent rates in the last decade

But I really would like anyone's suggestions for the best time and place to visit the beach on a reasonable budget, 4-5 people. It takes me forever to search, there are sooo many places, and I hate to risk money on a place without at least a recommendation.

Im not sure if its too far of a drive for you, but Mrytle Beach is pretty cheap. Very touristy, not my favorite, but its great for kids (lots to do, even when weather isnt great) and pretty inexpensive. We can actually afford to stay right on the beach there, vs some other beaches in NC and SC.

• Like 1

I'm not a huge fan. I enjoy it well enough, but I'd be happy with far fewer visits. My MIL takes us to DL about twice a year. I think it just gets old for me because we can't afford (in time off work mainly) to take a lot of trips through the year so between two disney trips and one trip back to see my family out of state we're out of play time. I would like the kids to experience a vacation *other* than Disney. So I think I'm beginning to get a bit resentful of Disney even though it's not really anything negative about Disney. And then I feel guilty for being resentful since it's a fully paid for trip for me and my kids and I should be grateful. Kids and DH love it. I'm outnumbered. I sigh and do all the prep, all the packing, all the child-entertainment on the drive, and all the clean-up after. All of that possibly contributing to my being "over" disney. 

You should tell her she has to do a Disney CRUISE instead! Then you'd both be happy. Ladies here have said Disney cruises are even better than DL. And then you'd be sneaking in some other destination you wanted, all on her dime. :D

You should tell her she has to do a Disney CRUISE instead! Then you'd both be happy. Ladies here have said Disney cruises are even better than DL. And then you'd be sneaking in some other destination you wanted, all on her dime. :D

Oh I would love that! Taking a cruise is on my bucket list. DH and I actually had one booked but we had to cancel it. 

• Like 1

Oh I would love that! Taking a cruise is on my bucket list. DH and I actually had one booked but we had to cancel it. 

Talk it up to the kids, and then let them talk it up to grandma. Just, y'know, casually have a YouTube video on when they are near, because you were looking up Disney stuff . . . 

Im not sure if its too far of a drive for you, but Mrytle Beach is pretty cheap. Very touristy, not my favorite, but its great for kids (lots to do, even when weather isnt great) and pretty inexpensive. We can actually afford to stay right on the beach there, vs some other beaches in NC and SC.

That's nearly 13 hours, which is doable but tough. We are wimps and 10 hours is close to our limit for driving in one day. I might check it out just to see. My kids are 16 & 18, so I don't have to worry about kid stuff anymore! 

• Like 1

We have both an anime con and a comic con in our city, so we don't have the hotel expense, that helps a lot! 

This is the only thing I like about living in Utah; SLCC is amazing! I love being local (enough, I'm not in SLC), to such a great con. And they do so much besides just CC. THIS is my thing. Forget Disney, give me comiccon. 

• Like 2

I think I could get behind a Disney Cruise. DW was sooo exhausting for me (between the 10 hour drive there, packing, and schedules...even though we stayed on-site and used bus transport). I'd love a truly no-plan, relaxing vacation.

I hate to mention this, but there's a big difference in feel (hectic-ness, how you get to the parks, etc.) if you stay at a deluxe vs. economy. We stayed at Shades of Green, and when you go in that way (less crowded bus to monorail), you go in the less crowded entrances. I stayed with ds *one night* at I think it was Pop, and it was literally all the bad things I had heard people frustrated about. I think if someone is game for it, fine. But I'm just saying I really, really BELIEVE you that it's that unpleasant! And the difference, unfortunately, is where you stay. Stay at a deluxe, go out your door to the monorail, go in the shorter lines (yes, for reals), and it's totally different. And we had quiet, peaceful breakfasts. The food hall where we ate at the economy resort was astonishingly loud, busy. When people say they felt like cattle, I get it! Like you totally could not pay me to stay there again. So not my cuppa.

• Like 1

As beautifully landscaped as they are, they are still essentially man-made parks. The US has loads of natural wonders and historically significant man-made sites, many of which I have visited and enjoyed immensely. Most of these are free of change, by the way. I don't see Americans spending thousands of dollars visiting their national parks with the same vigor as they spend on Disney.

Disney is a business. I'm not personally attacking the US. I'm just not thrilled with multi-million dollar corporation of Disney. It's really quite interesting how many people seem so dedicated to defending it. 

Of course it's a business. I don't think anyone here is attempting to portray it as a non-profit. And, as I said, if it's not for you, good enough. What I don't get is why folks who don't happen to enjoy something feel it necessary to be so unpleasant. As I said, there are many things other folks seem to love that I just don't get or, for one reason or another, outright dislike (a partial list: sports, most "blockbuster" or superhero movies, "reality" TV, video games, fashion, bacon, alcohol, fundamentalist religions, e-readers . . .), but my solution when there are threads on those topics is mostly to just skip them, especially if I don't actually know all that much about the topic.

For what it's worth, my family has ALSO spent a lot of time in national parks and museums and similar destinations. When they were younger, both of my kids attended classes at a local nature preserve twice a month for most of the academic year. We regularly built vacations around museum exhibits. And, for the four years I was driving to and from Virginia 10 or so times a year, my son and I often camped and visited natural/historical sites along the route.

I will admit to not having a lot of patience with these kinds of false dichotomies.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

I wish I could "love" Jenny in Florida's post. Why can't people just say, oh, I myself like such-and-such, without being so dismissive or ugly about other people's interests? It really is possible to talk about the vacations you enjoy without snarky comments about Disney being for people who prefer the fake over the real, who prefer ugly concrete to beautiful nature, who don't want new or real experiences. 

I love Disney World. I also love nature; heck, I own 25 acres of it. Yes, we have gone to Disney repeatedly. We've also gone to the beach and the mountains, to caves and caverns, to small towns and big cities. We go to museums and live performances and ethnic festivals. We go zip lining and parasailing and hiking. Enjoying Disney World does not automatically make one shallow and uninterested in 'real' experiences, lol. 

But you know what? If someone does only go to Disney World, and that makes them happy, then good for them! If you never want to go to Disney World, and that makes you happy, then good for you! If you never go on vacation because you spend all of your money attending sporting events, and that makes you happy, then good for you! I love that there are so many different people in the world, with all of their weird little interests. 

And I would "love" yours right back.

Excellently said!

• Like 1

I seen Disney mentioned several times in the vacation thread so I'm curious. We took a vacation to WDW last year with our at-the-time 6.5 year old girls. They did not really like it. Yes, my princess-loving girls did not care for Disney. The each liked certain components, but my mild HF ASD daughter thought most rides were "dark and scary" and was overwhelmed by everything going on, and my other daughter said she likes Carowinds (our local amusement park, for which we always have season passes) better.

So, I will begin by saying again that, yeah, there are folks who just don't get the WDW thing, which is fine. I'm not in any way attempting to talk you or your kids out of your experiences or impressions or to convince you to try again if you guys just aren't into it.

I will say that we have had a number of kids in our lives who have a variety of issues and quirks, and visiting WDW with any of them is a different experience that often requires a different approach. We had friends visit once when we all had little kids, and their then-six- or seven-year-old son was completely freaked out by the "dark rides" we tried. Even Spaceship Earth -- slow moving, no intentionally scary imagery, very gentle and scholarly theming -- was upsetting for him. Once we figured that out, we stayed off all similar attractions and focused on letting him explore the outdoor fun. He loved wandering in some of the gardens, watching some shows, etc. We still had a lovely day.

One of my own kids (and my husband, for that matter) have issues with anxiety and intensely dislike crowds. So, we choose times to visit the parks very carefully and plan lots of breaks into our days that let us get out of the crush. Sometimes, that means spending more on a meal so that we can be seated in a quiet and cool table-service restaurant, for example, but it's worth it to us because those breaks mean everyone can enjoy the rest of the day.

One of the things about the WDW complex being so vast and varied is that it means an individual family can adjust a vacation there to their individual needs and wishes.

I'm sorry your girls didn't have a wonderful time. But, hey, just think how much money you'll save with them not begging to go back!

• Like 1

but my solution when there are threads on those topics is mostly to just skip them, especially if I don't actually know all that much about the topic.

Using your reasoning, since the OP didn't like Disney (or her kids didn't anyway) and wondered if she was alone or not - shouldn't all of those who are super pro "Disney is awesome" folks skip the thread?  ;)

People have reasons for why they feel the way they do (pro or con).  If it bugs people to read "the other side's" reasons then skipping the thread would make sense.  It doesn't make sense to tell people they have to keep their feelings and thoughts to themselves - esp when someone is asking if others had similar feelings.  Some people hate Disney (vs disliking).  That's ok.  They're allowed to share why they feel as they do.  Someone else spends every free moment there.  That's ok too.  They're allowed to share why they feel as they do.  Readers get the full range of info that way.

• Like 4

To add info to anyone reading.  I first went to WDW in 1971 - the year it opened.  I was 4.  I was terrified of Mr Toad's Wild Ride (terrified enough that I still vividly remember it).  I wasn't fond of the Haunted Mansion or Pirates of the Caribbean either.  Give it 4 or 5 years and I enjoyed all the rides.  ;)

Middle son was super terrified of the "ghost" part of Tower of Terror (fine with the drop) and Haunted Mansion, plus the cannons of Pirates of the Caribbean when he was 4 or 5 (his first year going).  He enjoys it all now too.  Youngest (age 3) came off Tower of Terror telling Grandma he was "Never, Never, Never!!! going on that ride again (due to the drop).  And when he was older, he wasn't going to make his wife or kids go on that ride either!!!"  (She reminded him that she offered to skip the ride with him and detailed what was going to happen. HE insisted on going on it.)  In later visits... that was a "Must Hit!" ride for him.  He laughs about his feelings from when he was three.   :lol:

If you have kids who are sensitive or have a tough time separating fantasy from reality, waiting a little bit longer or skipping certain rides is probably a good idea.  None of us feel scarred for life though.  The memories are fun to talk about at this stage in our lives.

Just a FYI if anyone isn't sure about whether to go or not - or when.

• Like 1

Using your reasoning, since the OP didn't like Disney (or her kids didn't anyway) and wondered if she was alone or not - shouldn't all of those who are super pro "Disney is awesome" folks skip the thread?   ;)

People have reasons for why they feel the way they do (pro or con).  If it bugs people to read "the other side's" reasons then skipping the thread would make sense.  It doesn't make sense to tell people they have to keep their feelings and thoughts to themselves - esp when someone is asking if others had similar feelings.  Some people hate Disney (vs disliking).  That's ok.  They're allowed to share why they feel as they do.  Someone else spends every free moment there.  That's ok too.  They're allowed to share why they feel as they do.  Readers get the full range of info that way.

:iagree:   You would think this makes sense, but apparently it's only fine to express an opinion if it falls in line with other's opinions.  :laugh:   Soon Disney may have to be on the same list as politics as topics not safe to start threads.

• Like 2

Using your reasoning, since the OP didn't like Disney (or her kids didn't anyway) and wondered if she was alone or not - shouldn't all of those who are super pro "Disney is awesome" folks skip the thread?   ;)

:iagree: Some of the pro-Disney posts can get a little brutal to the non-Disney folk.  I've felt somewhat attacked at points for saying I felt like cattle at a Disney resort and our room was gross (smelled musty).  LOL.  It's ok when people have varying opinions.   Especially in a thread that started as this one did.

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 4

I have been through real castles.  I have been through Neuschwanstein.  And it was cool and would love to take DH there.  I wouldn't want to take my kids until they are substantially older for a lot of reasons.  But, really, although I could certainly take my kids to Disneyland to "see the fake one" and they would enjoy it....that's not why we enjoy Disney.  We enjoy Disney because there is stuff to do there that is fun.  It wouldn't be fun to take my 8, 6, and 4 yr old on a 10+ hour flight, drag them up that giant hill, and then be constantly ensuring they don't touch, don't freak out traipsing through a bunch of rooms where they can't touch anything and all they can do is look.  And then hike all the way back down that hill (though the walk downhill was much easier than going up.)

My kids want to meet Rapunzel and Nemo.  They want to ride in Dumbo.  They had a blast examining the giant lego dragon we found.  They even liked riding the monorail, etc etc.  Things things are fun. 

I like real places too.  I preferred the actual location of the original Jamestown settlement rather than the reproduction.  DD21, who was like 9 I think, when we went...was bored.  She much more preferred Colonial Williamsburg, where there was stuff to do and people to talk to. 

Something doesn't have to be 100% real and all completely authentic to be good and fun. 

Well I didn't appreciate the fake castle as a kid. I just didn't have the opportunity to visit a real one, but when I did I love it. 

Disney characters came to me in the form of "Disney on Ice."  I didn't have to go to them.

We took our two year old (nearly three) to DW. Partly because she got in free because she was under three, and partly because it was he easiet way to have a fun vacation with her that didn't involve long flights. The only Disney movies she'd seen were Pooh and Alice in Wonderland. She LOVED it. She still talks about it. We went last December and could walk onto rides like Pirates (the longest we ever had to wait was 20 minutes, and that was rare). I wasn't sure if the money would be worth it because of her age and because we are national park people, but we were pleasantly surprised. We definitely feel it was money well spent.

Would we have rather flown to Europe or driven twenty hours to the national parks out west? Not with a toddler. Not even with a five year old, I'd wager. Our original plan was to take a cruise to the western Caribbean (Mayan ruins for us, fun ship activities for DD) but with the Zika virus, that just wasn't in the cards. We aren't Disney people in that there are few of the films we will let into our home, but in terms of creating an easy, entertaining vacation for families, Disney does it well.

Edited by Epicurean
  • Like 1

That's totally fine.  I can understand that there are people that don't like Disney, and I can totally understand their reasons.  It can be crowded, expensive, just not their cuppa, I totally get it.

But there's nothing wrong with enjoying it either, even if there are parts that are fake.  Just like there's nothing wrong with disliking it....there's nothing wrong with liking it either.

Right, but this thread was started by the OP asking if other families didn't like Disney, not who liked Disney. So why quote me when I'm simply answering why I didn't like it as a kid? 

:iagree: Some of the pro-Disney posts can get a little brutal to the non-Disney folk.  I've felt somewhat attacked at points for saying I felt like cattle at a Disney resort and our room was gross (smelled musty).  LOL.  It's ok when people have varying opinions.   Especially in a thread that started as this one did.

Fwiw, I would have been one of those if I hadn't stayed at both ends (deluxe and economy) on the same trip. Totally eye-opening. Made clear why some people I've talked with irl said they hated Disney so much, sigh. The whole cattle thing, smoking outside the room (which makes the inside musty), awful beds, etc. is for real. :(

Where do you go to the beach? The beach for us is not a day trip, it's going and staying for the week. We usually go to the Gulf Coast, it's driving distance for us, and it's really been difficult to find decent rates in the last decade

I haven't been, I want too.  

Any how yes I do see great deals there in the off season.   You can rent nice timeshare condos on Ebay for places there for really cheap. 

Because your post wasn't just "I didn't like it because of the fake castle."  Your post then went on to imply that other people should go to Europe to see real castles in stead of going to fake Disney, by talking about how it's cheaper and how Disney has some real "sweet" deal going because for some reason people like fake stuff.

It's ok to like fake stuff.  There's nothing wrong with that. 

Well, I *llke* Disney and I didn't read her post, but if she DID imply that people should go to Europe to see real castles, then she has a good point. Disney *is* fake. (I mean, that's perfectly okay if you aren't looking for *real* for that particular vacation.)

Not sure how Europe could be cheaper than Disney. I know how to make Disney expensive, but I also know how to make it cheap.  I know not everyone can make it cheap. This is what we did to make it cheap: drove down (1K miles) in our van with all six of us... driving through the night so we didn't have to pay for a hotel... stayed in a 3 bedroom/2 bath condo right outside Disney Maingate during the off season for $65/night for 8 nights... went with the Carolina homeschool group (half price on tickets)... didn't eat in the parks (drove to the local Publix and packed lunches and snacks in)... brought our crockpot down and filled it up in the mornings before we left the condo (so dinner was ready when we got back to the condo). Quite literally our food budget was exactly the same as it would have been if we were home. It was cheaper to purchase food down in Orlando than it is at home, but we also *did* eat at the parks one day (nibbled our way around Epcot World Showcase all day -- the kids LOVED this) so it all evened out.  Not sure if I could make Europe as cheap as this.

Anyway, she's also right if she said that Disney has a sweet deal going on because... they do!

Would love to be able to take my crew to Europe one day.

• Like 2

Well, I *llke* Disney and I didn't read her post, but if she DID imply that people should go to Europe to see real castles, then she has a good point. Disney *is* fake. (I mean, that's perfectly okay if you aren't looking for *real* for that particular vacation.)

Not sure how Europe could be cheaper than Disney. I know how to make Disney expensive, but I also know how to make it cheap.  I know not everyone can make it cheap. This is what we did to make it cheap: drove down (1K miles) in our van with all six of us... driving through the night so we didn't have to pay for a hotel... stayed in a 3 bedroom/2 bath condo right outside Disney Maingate during the off season for $65/night for 8 nights... went with the Carolina homeschool group (half price on tickets)... didn't eat in the parks (drove to the local Publix and packed lunches and snacks in)... brought our crockpot down and filled it up in the mornings before we left the condo (so dinner was ready when we got back to the condo). Quite literally our food budget was exactly the same as it would have been if we were home. It was cheaper to purchase food down in Orlando than it is at home, but we also *did* eat at the parks one day (nibbled our way around Epcot World Showcase all day -- the kids LOVED this) so it all evened out.  Not sure if I could make Europe as cheap as this.

Anyway, she's also right if she said that Disney has a sweet deal going on because... they do!

Would love to be able to take my crew to Europe one day.

Does carolina homeschool group still have half price tickets? 

Fwiw, I would have been one of those if I hadn't stayed at both ends (deluxe and economy) on the same trip. Totally eye-opening. Made clear why some people I've talked with irl said they hated Disney so much, sigh. The whole cattle thing, smoking outside the room (which makes the inside musty), awful beds, etc. is for real. :(

This is why when we choose to do Disney we stay at the Polynesian.  Disney done cheaply is NOT something we enjoy at all.  Same parks, but that's about it.  Otherwise it's far more hassle than we want to deal with.

• Like 1

We've taken the kids a handful of times because it's one of the best places for families with lots of kids various ages. We are frugal with vacations, snd have a large family. My prices last time...

$400-600 gas and one hotel room on the drive down (we eat picnic style at roadside stops, priceline for a cheap hotel room)

$1000 7 nights at a 3 bedroom condo offsite, complete with kitchen and nice grills. We only ate Disney food twice, other meaLS were done in our room.

$500 groceries and food, that's $200 for restaurants in Disney, $300 for groceries, drinks and snacks for 9 days (2 are travel days)

$2250 5 day tickets for 7 people. Yes, that is a lot, but we feel like each day is a reasonable amount to spend on each person per day. We don't fo anything that costs extra.

Some years we've spent more, we did a dolphin tour at the beach one year, an alligator airboat ride on the way home amother year.

We figure anything we do as a family of 7 just costs a lot. We did the Smoky Mtns for around $2500 with travel and food, lodging us more there, and you have more gas, and if you decide to do things other than in the park, the costs go up. Dolly wood was around $350 for our family for one day! And that was not eating any food. If you have littles in strollers, NP cam be fun, but back breaking if you go hiking. We enjoy those vscations, too. One we do not like is the beach... We've gone twice for about an hour each time. Makes me nervous with a lot of little kuds. No way would I pock it as a family vacation.

We are sort of planning a Universal trip in the next 2 years now that most of our kids will be big enough to ride the rides. I'm hoping to do it for about $5k.

We went the second week of April last year and we thought it was perfect. You have to go with a plan though. I use their ride time app on my phone. We tend to get a 3 day pass and we plan out the rides staying within one part of the park. We grab a fast pass for the busiest rides first and then hit other rides while we wait. Using my well oiled machine planning we never waited longer than 20 to 30 minutes and even that was rare. Our longest wait was for Jedi training and that was sooooo long. The third day we utilized their special needs system for our son who is on the spectrum and that system works great!

• Like 1

We've taken the kids a handful of times because it's one of the best places for families with lots of kids various ages. We are frugal with vacations, snd have a large family. My prices last time...

$400-600 gas and one hotel room on the drive down (we eat picnic style at roadside stops, priceline for a cheap hotel room)

$1000 7 nights at a 3 bedroom condo offsite, complete with kitchen and nice grills. We only ate Disney food twice, other meaLS were done in our room.

$500 groceries and food, that's $200 for restaurants in Disney, $300 for groceries, drinks and snacks for 9 days (2 are travel days)

$2250 5 day tickets for 7 people. Yes, that is a lot, but we feel like each day is a reasonable amount to spend on each person per day. We don't fo anything that costs extra.

Some years we've spent more, we did a dolphin tour at the beach one year, an alligator airboat ride on the way home amother year.

We figure anything we do as a family of 7 just costs a lot. We did the Smoky Mtns for around $2500 with travel and food, lodging us more there, and you have more gas, and if you decide to do things other than in the park, the costs go up. Dolly wood was around $350 for our family for one day! And that was not eating any food. If you have littles in strollers, NP cam be fun, but back breaking if you go hiking. We enjoy those vscations, too. One we do not like is the beach... We've gone twice for about an hour each time. Makes me nervous with a lot of little kuds. No way would I pock it as a family vacation.

We are sort of planning a Universal trip in the next 2 years now that most of our kids will be big enough to ride the rides. I'm hoping to do it for about $5k.

Just throwing out some ways to maybe make it cheaper.   Have you rented a timeshare off Ebay?   I know they have ones down in Orlando.  We almost did in January.  We should have.  It would have made it a lot cheaper.  Next time.  I know they have Wyndham Bonnet Creek along with a lot of others.  Sometimes you can get incredible deals.  Like a 4 Bedroom Presidential unit for a 300 for a week.  

Or you could stay in a hotel since you have the car.   Some with free breakfast and an evening meal really help keep the costs lower.  We did this at 2 different places in the Orlando area.  Both had enough room to sleep 7 of us in 1 room.  Well I mean they were 2 beds and 2 baths plus a living room and kitchen.  And it was 100 a night.  Nice places too. 

We use hotels.com and ebates.  Cash back on the hotels and every 10 nights a free night. 

Edited by mommyoffive

Does carolina homeschool group still have half price tickets? 

It does offer a discount

http://www.travelinghomeschoolers.com/disney-world/

4 day basic ticket from them is $270

from Disney it is $350

I know sometimes you can get them on Expedia and get cashback.  A few years ago it was 20%.   There are some other deals too.   You can buy discounted giftcards at Sams and use that for tickets and hotels.  

OH and I have seen that you can buy other Disney stays on Ebay.  Like Animal Kingdom.  

And Animal Kingdom is also on hotels.com

Edited by mommyoffive