Menu

Need to brush up on my Spanish and learn more

DawnM

When I worked in LA, I had Spanish pretty well learned.  I could fully understand the parents but couldn't respond well.

Then I moved, and homeschooled, and wasn't listening to it every day, so I lost a lot of it.

Now I am again hearing it every day, but from students only (at least I remember the bad words so I can tell them to knock it off!)

But I really want to get back to where I was.

I cannot go to a Spanish speaking country and live with a Spanish speaker, I have obligations here and family, etc.....otherwise, I would.

Here are some options:

1. Hire a tutor, a native language speaker and friend.

2. Take classes from the local CC online.  Not really my first choice, but it would also give me continuing education credits to renew my credentials later.

3. Get something like Rosetta Stone (other suggestions?) and really spend time this summer doing it.  It seems like there was a free Spanish course online somewhere????

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  

• Like 2

I'd recommend Duolingo (free language service) and a Spanish speaking friend for practice. When I was learning Spanish, I would read a Spanish reader aloud and DH would correct my pronounciation and translation.

ETA: Here's the link to the book, Easy Spanish Reader

https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Spanish-Reader-William-Tardy/dp/0071428062

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 6

You can listen to Spamish language radio stations and watch Spanish language TV. Watch CNN en Español for example.  You mentioned Rosetta Stone. There have been quite a few threads on WTM where the people did not like it. Duolingo or something else might be better and far less expensive.  If you have a choice of languages, watch movies in Spanish. The Spanish you will hear in Movies that are dubbed, and in most Spanish taught in the USA, is Mexican Spanish and probably the majority of Spanish speakers in CA are of Mexican origin.

Many years ago, I bought a bunch of cassette tapes (that tells  you it was prehistoric) from a U.S. Government agency. The tapes I bought were for Military who were going to be deployed in Panama.  I listened to them and responded to them, but found as you did that it is one thing to listen and another thing to be able to respond. For example, many years ago, I was in Mexico City (Mexico D.F.) and asked how to get somewhere. I knew how to ask the question, but the answer came back so fast that I didn't understand.  For a long time, listening to radio commercials, the phone numbers they gave just ran together, but eventually, as I listened more, my comprehension got better.  I still have a little problem, wondering if someone said 60 or 70 and really need to listen closely. "Sesenta or Setenta."

Colombian Spanish is very pure among the different Latin American countries, so often you will find Colombians doing the news on TV, because they are easier to understand.

I googled for Colombian Radio stations on the web. Here's one link:  http://tunein.com/radio/Colombia-r100325/

Caracol is one of the main Radio and TV networks here.  RCN is another.

If you listen for awhile to some of the different stations, here in Cali for example, that play different types of music, if you are like I was,  years ago, much of it will come so fast that it will go over your head, but you will recognize some words and with time you will have much better comprehension.

Practice talking to others.  They will be very happy that you are trying to speak to them in their native language.

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 2

https://www.newsinslowspanish.com/?gclid=CPucsMHcnNQCFQFEhgodTK4Eqw

There is a website called "News In Slow" that does the daily news slowly with clear pronunciation in several languages.  The above link is for spanish

I think watching News programs is excellent, because one can see in the videos what is going on and one has an idea of the subject and can associate the words with the subject.

• Like 3

Many language immersion schools in Spanish-speaking countries do extremely affordable Skype lessons -- that way you are working with a trained teacher, who can meet you exactly where you are, and focus on what you're trying to improve.  Also, you can wear bunny slippers.

Here are a couple schools we've worked with and I can recommend highly,y that do Skype lessons (language school / homestays is among our favorite family vacations, so we've done a bunch):

Conversa (Costa Rica)

Yanapuma (Ecuador)

Cambio (Guatemala)

Of those three, Conversa had the most professionally developed curriculum.  The others had very good teachers who were a bit more follow-the-student as opposed to working through a set scope and sequence.

• Like 4

duolingo is free online.

they have "tinycards" to go along with the various languages.  there are a number of other contributors as well.   flash card types for working on verbs, vocabulary - spanish is one the popular languages that have a lot.

tinycards - have a lot of stuff.  I found two to help learn the periodic table element notations.   and for fire - what burns what color . . .states and capitals . . .//

• Like 1

:iagree:  All of the above.

If you want some practice with natives, I recommend italki. You'd want the "community tutor" option. (If you want to try it, they offer discounted trials. If you use it off a link someone already using italki sends you, you and that person both get $10 to spend on lessons at italki. PM me if you want a referral link.) Community tutors are as inexpensive as $5-6 per hour.

• Like 3

I used to listen to news in slew Spanish in the good, old free days, but I highly recommend it for you. They would have typical news stories - domestic, international, then there was a grammar segment and then a travel or local interest segment. I never used it, but it sounded like they had a lot if sorry materials on the web page. The nice thing about the news is that you mostly already know the story.

If you want something more casual, NPR has an interesting Spanish language podcast called Radio Ambulante. It isn't for language learners, just a variety of stories.

• Like 1

I use Duolingo . As others have mentioned, it's free online. It will certainly get you at least to the place where Rosettastone would for $$.  With your background, I wouldn't spend the money. 

If you want to brush up on grammar, I think Practice Makes Perfect is a really good resource. It's around $20. 

Destinos is on Youtube. It's in Spanish, spoken slowly and distinctly and is a mystery story in separate episodes. 

You can watch Telenovelas on youtube as well. 

Forcing yourself to speak it is what helps me.  (instead of repetition)  When we were in Central America last, I had to learn how to give the taxi driver pretty specific directions to our apartment in Spanish.  (They didn't have addresses.)  After three months I finally had it down!  haha  (It took me that long!)  But I learned so much in the process.  

So I'd say if you can force yourself to hold conversations only in Spanish with someone, even about a very focused topic that you go back to every day or whenever you meet (instead of spreading yourself thin and trying to tackle lots of different subjects), it can really jumpstart your brain into speaking it again.

So, I'd vote for finding a Spanish-speaking conversation friend where you're only allowed to speak Spanish.

• Like 2

I'll second Duolingo - way better than Rosetta Stone, and free.

Others have already mentioned News in Slow Spanish.

There is also the Coffee Break Spanish podcast, which is aimed at Spanish learners.  The BBC has a cute learn Spanish show free online called Mi Vida Loca.

think you can find the Destinos videos online somewhere?  They're very 80's, but also kinda fun.

And of course there are Spanish shows on Netflix; you can ramp up by using subtitles in English or Spanish.  Most of the Netflix original shows can also be switched to Spanish audio (with subtitles if you want), even if originally in English.

And... I find reading really helps build vocabulary, even more than listening (though listening is important for comprehension).  If you can find reading material in Spanish, just read, read, read.  At a level just a bit higher than you're comfortable at.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 3

Coffee Break is super fun, but be advised you will learn Spanish with an Irish accent. Which, goes without saying, adorable. :laugh:

I thought he was Scottish?? I don't remember his accent in Spanish being that strong (just in English :lol:), and I thought he got people from Spain on to talk with him?

• Like 1

The title of the thread called them "Extr@ Espanol" or "Extr@ Spanish"

I found them on Youtube under "Extra en Español" (Thanks to DD for helping me with the code for the special ñ letter.)

Yes! The YouTube link is broken, do you remember what it was called? I tried it with my dc, but they were uncomfortable with it - I think the benignly implied adult situations. Sensitive times as we approach puberty, I guess.

• Like 1