Menu

Thinking about a trip to the Seattle area . . . Ideas?

PinkTulip

We are a family of 6, DH, myself, and 4 teenage boys. We would be driving our Suburban, so parking that beast is always a factor (although when we went to San Francisco, we parked it for the week and just took public transportation while there).

We like a mix of sightseeing, activities (renting bikes or exploring trails), and a little culture (great art museums). We are adventurous with food, and try to keep the budget for everything relatively low, although one or two big splurges are ok.

I'm thinking Pikes Place Market, maybe a ferry ride to somewhere cool, maybe a day trip to Olympic National Park, the Chihuly gardens . . . ?

We would have about 5 days total (not including driving to get there).

Any suggestions for me? Thanks in advance!

Edited to add: this would be the first or second week of August this year.

Edited by Pink Tulip

Re: schedule - you will likely want to come later than Aug 6. July 29-Aug 6 is the big Seafair event in Seattle. Seafair kind of goes all summer, but the big torchlight parade downtown is July 29, then events all week, culminating in the hydroplane races Aug 4-6. Lots of fun, but this might be late to get budget accommodations, and traffic can be a nightmare then.

Edited by linders

My splurge suggestion would be the iconic Space Needle.  If you need less expensive than that (although they upped the price a few years ago so now it's not THAT less expensive), check out Columbia Tower right downtown (the highest tallest black building).  They have a visitor area way up high, too -- it's all enclosed, not indoor/outdoor like the Space Needle. 

The aquarium on the waterfront is great; you can probably get a year's pass cheaper than paying individually.  The ferry ride over to Bainbridge Island is very doable especially as walk-ons.  If you have a day, head 1.5 to two hours east on I-90 to hit up some great small towns with fabulous views and weather.  Or look up Leavenworth and head to the Bavarian village in the mountains.  That's probably a 2.5 or so hour drive from Seattle (head north and then go over Hwy 2, I believe).

Make sure to check out Airbnb.com for accommodations if you need them (I'm an Airbnb host in central Washington). We found a great place in West Seattle when we visited a couple of months ago, right on the waterfront. West Seattle is across the water looking back east toward downtown; there's a $5 ferry hop from there.  So you could leave your "burb parked there and take the ferry into downtown each day as desired. If new to Airbnb, use this link and you'll get $40 off a $75+ stay (https://www.airbnb.com/c/dsautter6).

Edited by milovany

Seafair-

the Air Force Blue Angels have practices th (1), f, sat (2 each) and performance at the hydro races on sunday.

the I90 bridge is closed for safety while they're flying.   they are a lot of fun to watch - and you can do so for free. (i would suggest a friday practice)  somewhere on the hill south of I90 overlooking the water in seattle.  I don't remember the exact spot.  mercer island isn't very good viewing. too many trees unless you're in a house on the water.

for splurge - argosy cruises does a lake cruise than parks to watch the planes.  you're right on the water near the log-boom.  (where boats tie up to watch the hydro races.)

boeing museum of flight - lots of free parking.  space shuttle trainer. (they tried to get a real one - but you can go in the trainer).  they have a blackbird - with drone.   the blue angels take off from there.

boeing factory tour in everett.  really interesting, lots of walking. 

pike place market it a tourist trap rip-off. same with the space needle. - and  parking is *very* expensive in the downtown area.  (parking near the space needle is $15+)

for a view - columbia center.  taller, better view.   for free - Kerry park on lower queen anne hill.  over looks downtown and the water.  sunset hill park  has a lovely view of PS and the olympics. (my favorite greek restaurant is near there on ravenna.  only for dinner.  looks live a dive.  very good food. yannis.)    you can also drive out along the water in west seattle.  lots of free parking and easy water access - though rocky.  lincoln park near the west seattle ferry dock is a good in-city beach.

the water tower at volunteer park on capital hill.  the trees are growing up, but we went up it a lot as kids.

the ballard locks -  in seattle - they're always fun.  also have some gardens.  free - parking varies for cost, but usually easy.

hurricane ridge on the penninsula, hike up hurricane hill and you can see to canada.  olympic game farm in sequim (pronounced skwim)

whale watching out of anacortes or san juan island. 

go to mt. rainier.  seriously - I'd go there before the penninsula.  do some hikes around paradise.  very short easy hike near the stevens canyon entrance for big tree grove.  it's  in the middle of the ohanapakosh river.  some of the trees are 1000 years old. 

ft. casey on whidby island - huge parade ground.  great place to fly a kite.  they lit the bunkers - so not as much fun as they used to be.  bring flashlights.  boys usually LOVE this place.  and you get a ferry ride.  go via anacortes and deception pass (it's beautiful.  we've even seen gray whales nearby. from land) take the ferry from the south end of the island home.  (car and driver only)  it's a short ferry ride.

do a walk on ferry ride from seattle to bremerton. (do NOT plan on parking on the waterfront.  the construction has made it a complete and utter mess.) the park next to the dock in bremerton  has water coming out of what look like the conning tower on a sub, stuff to do.  we've seen subs on that run.  it's free to go back to seattle.  if you do get to the  waterfront.  I adored ye olde curiosity shop.   lots of novelties/quirky museum type items for kids.  free -unless you buy something.   ivar's fish bar on the water.  this is a seattle staple.  (miss ivar. he was a character whom everyone loved.)

for history of seattle - museum of history and industry.  on south lake union, plenty of parking.  even as a kid I liked going there.  

the aurora bridge.  underneath the north end of the bridge is troll  with a real vw bug.  down hill are some goats.  this is a must.  free. 

eta: ok - fixed name. 

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

The Seattle Asian Art Museum is good.

The Living Computer Museum is also a lot of fun.

If you go to the Locks in Ballard, across the street there is a Red Mill Burgers and Totem Fish House. If you like burgers or fish and chips, you can't go wrong.

SAAM - is the former home of the seattle art museum.  the camels are still there . . . . . . . . .bwawawawa  (we climbed all over them.)

the water tower is right by it.

Alaska Airlines' inflight magazine has a great section on Seattle and Luger sound area. Maybe they have that available on their website.

If you can get to Whidbey or Vashon island or if you can visit the Olympic Rainforest, those are beautiful and it is the only rainforest in the continental US. I love things unique to an area.

The Seattle Asian Art Museum is good.

The Living Computer Museum is also a lot of fun.

If you go to the Locks in Ballard, across the street there is a Red Mill Burgers and Totem Fish House. If you like burgers or fish and chips, you can't go wrong.

The Seattle Asian Art Museum was closed starting February 17, 2017 for renovation and will be closed until March 1, 2019

Alaska Airlines' inflight magazine has a great section on Seattle and Luger sound area. Maybe they have that available on their website.

If you can get to Whidbey or Vashon island or if you can visit the Olympic Rainforest, those are beautiful and it is the only rainforest in the continental US. I love things unique to an area.

The Pacific Science Center has the terracotta warriors until Sept 4. Not exactly Seattle-area culture specific, but maybe something y'all might want to take advantage of. https://www.pacificsciencecenter.org/terracotta-warriors/

(I just moved to the Puget Sound area, so am eagerly reading these answers!)

If it's the same exhibit that was in San Francisco a few years ago, it's definitely worth the money.

Oh my goodness, I'm away for a few hours and come back to so many wonderful suggestions - thank you all SO much!!!

I'm furiously writing all of these things down and will start researching everything and put together a plan. Seriously, I really really appreciate everyone's responses!

I'm following this with interest. I spent 5 weeks in Seattle last summer while my daughter attended a ballet school. We are doing the same thing this summer (spending another 5 weeks), so I am looking for some new ideas of things to do this year. There have been some great ideas mentioned here, so now I know I won't spend all of my time repeating what we did last year.

With teen boys definitely hit the EMP (experience music project museum)...it will be the building that looks like a smashed guitar.

Hitting the Pacific Science Museum is great. Nice planetarium, laser light shows are a blast and the Terracotta Warriors are here right now for the next 5 months if you are into Ancient China.

Olympic Peninsula is fantastic. The Game Farm for a drive through safari experience.

The Arlington Kangaroo farm is fun for all ages.

You can rent peddle boats at Green Lake and the UW has kayak rentals. While you are at the UW check out the Burke Museum. It is wonderful.

If you don't mind a bit of a drive Leavenworth is so fun and a unique experience.

Franklin Falls in Snoqualmie is a breathtaking hike. You literally hike across the most charming terrain to the most gorgeous waterfall.

Oh my goodness...so much to do. I could keep going... I love my state :)

Edited by nixpix5
  • Like 3

With teen boys definitely hit the EMP (experience music project museum)...it will be the building that looks like a smashed guitar.

Hitting the Pacific Science Museum is great. Nice planetarium, laser light shows are a blast and the Terracotta Warriors are here right now for the next 5 months if you are into Ancient China.

Olympic Peninsula is fantastic. The Game Farm for a drive through safari experience.

The Arlington Kangaroo farm is fun for all ages.

You can rent peddle boats at Green Lake and the UW has kayak rentals. While you are at the UW check out the Burke Museum. It is wonderful.

If you don't mind a bit of a drive Leavenworth is so fun and a unique experience.

Franklin Falls in Snoqualmie is a breathtaking hike. You literally hike across the most charming terrain to the most gorgeous waterfall.

Oh my goodness...so much to do. I could keep going... I love my state :)

Just a note that the EMP is now called MoPOP (museum of pop culture). But it is the same place.

• Like 1

I'm following this with interest. I spent 5 weeks in Seattle last summer while my daughter attended a ballet school. We are doing the same thing this summer (spending another 5 weeks), so I am looking for some new ideas of things to do this year. There have been some great ideas mentioned here, so now I know I won't spend all of my time repeating what we did last year.

when are you going to be here?  car?  bus only? willing to go outside the city?

Just a note that the EMP is now called MoPOP (museum of pop culture). But it is the same place.

also known as the space needle's discarded pile of clothes.

when are you going to be here?  car?  bus only? willing to go outside the city?

We'll be there from July 9- August 11.  My husband and older daughter will be joining us August 5-11 and he is renting a car for that week.  I won't have a car for the rest of the time, but I am willing to rent a car for weekend excursions.  Last year we used Uber for places that we wanted to see in the city that we couldn't reach by walking or the monorail.  I am thinking that we'll do the same thing this year.

My daughter has ballet all day M-F and until about noon on Saturdays for the five weeks we are there.  So, I want to plan some excursions outside of the city on the weekends.  I also want to find some different things to do in the late afternoon/evenings when my daughter is free.  I will have the days free to myself, so if you have anything to suggest for me to do by myself that would be great too.  :)

We are staying very close to Seattle Center.  

• Like 1

We'll be there from July 9- August 11.  My husband and older daughter will be joining us August 5-11 and he is renting a car for that week.  I won't have a car for the rest of the time, but I am willing to rent a car for weekend excursions.  Last year we used Uber for places that we wanted to see in the city that we couldn't reach by walking or the monorail.  I am thinking that we'll do the same thing this year.

My daughter has ballet all day M-F and until about noon on Saturdays for the five weeks we are there.  So, I want to plan some excursions outside of the city on the weekends.  I also want to find some different things to do in the late afternoon/evenings when my daughter is free.  I will have the days free to myself, so if you have anything to suggest for me to do by myself that would be great too.   :)

We are staying very close to Seattle Center.  

shakespeare in the park.  some of them are on the green near the fountain.  other's further.  there are two companies, running four plays.  (with the occasional extra)   woodland park near the zoo is another popular location accessible by bus.

wooden O and greenstage.  I'm having issues with my server/connection or I'd link them.

stop at John nielsen's danish pastry - 2nd west *just* south of mercer.  we usually get potatoes (choux pastry filled with pastry cream, covered with marzipan and cocoa powder), or sarah bernhardts (dh's favorite - chocolate mousse on a macaroon, covered with chocolate and sprinkled with pistachio) - and a kringele.  (shaped like a big pretzle - filled with almond paste, sprinkled with slivered almonds.)  I apologize in advance if it becomes a habit.  ;p

bellevue arts and crafts fair.  (last sat in july?)  take the bus to the bellevue transit center - or just bel-sqare.  it's actually three fairs spread all over.  craftspeople come from all over - there's a marquetry who comes from the husdon river valley. there are activities, and food etc.   I always prefer to go friday morning.  not 'quite' as busy.

the olympic music festival outside squim.  my niece did that one summer - we stopped by to see her.  it. was. so. hot . . . one of her cabin mates was [ a watermelon. you brought a watermelong".   she was practically melting.  and it was cold.

there's also the lavender festival outside squim in august - not sure it you'll be leaving first or not.  my dd was interning as the hospital in PT, so we visited her while it was going on.

ft. definance park in tacoma.  it has ft.  nisqually, rose gardens etc.  this will require a car.

if you want to spend the money - you can do a day trip/overnight on the victoria clipper up to victoria.  everything is walkable, or there are excursion buses to places like butchart gardens.

• Like 2

If you can swing the  expense, take the Argosy Fairy to Tillicum Village-this is so cool, especially to the homeschool family who fully appreciates these kinds of things.

Salmon bake, live action story telling, the scent of smoked salmon...your family will remember it for a lifetime!

Or hit any of the other San Juan Islands as well, each unique in its own way.  Downtown is fun, but can be crowded, just know that.  If you hit Pike's, go to the lower alley and find the gum wall.  Make sure you let your kids chew a wad of gum to contribute to it!  Sounds gross, but kind of a work of art!   

shakespeare in the park.  some of them are on the green near the fountain.  other's further.  there are two companies, running four plays.  (with the occasional extra)   woodland park near the zoo is another popular location accessible by bus.

wooden O and greenstage.  I'm having issues with my server/connection or I'd link them.

stop at John nielsen's danish pastry - 2nd west *just* south of mercer.  we usually get potatoes (choux pastry filled with pastry cream, covered with marzipan and cocoa powder), or sarah bernhardts (dh's favorite - chocolate mousse on a macaroon, covered with chocolate and sprinkled with pistachio) - and a kringele.  (shaped like a big pretzle - filled with almond paste, sprinkled with slivered almonds.)  I apologize in advance if it becomes a habit.  ;p

bellevue arts and crafts fair.  (last sat in july?)  take the bus to the bellevue transit center - or just bel-sqare.  it's actually three fairs spread all over.  craftspeople come from all over - there's a marquetry who comes from the husdon river valley. there are activities, and food etc.   I always prefer to go friday morning.  not 'quite' as busy.

the olympic music festival outside squim.  my niece did that one summer - we stopped by to see her.  it. was. so. hot . . . one of her cabin mates was [ a watermelon. you brought a watermelong".   she was practically melting.  and it was cold.

there's also the lavender festival outside squim in august - not sure it you'll be leaving first or not.  my dd was interning as the hospital in PT, so we visited her while it was going on.

ft. definance park in tacoma.  it has ft.  nisqually, rose gardens etc.  this will require a car.

if you want to spend the money - you can do a day trip/overnight on the victoria clipper up to victoria.  everything is walkable, or there are excursion buses to places like butchart gardens.

Thanks for all of the great ideas!  I'm making a list.  :)

• Like 1

If you want to do any thing in Tacoma, it doesn't require always require a car.  You can use the commuter train/bus system down to Tacoma and use the local bus that goes from downtown out to the park or elsewhere in town.  Assume you'll make a day of it, and will walk A Lot, but it's absolutely doable without a car.  

The Washington State History Museum is a short light rail trip from the Sounder (commuter train) at the Tacoma dome.  There are bunch of cute shops just across the street that I loved wandering.  

The Brew Five: Beer and Blues Festival is August 5th (Sat) in Tacoma. Plus some other stage events in Tacoma. They tend to be less expensive than Seattle events. 

http://www.broadwaycenter.org/events/upcoming-events

Also check out the Pike's Place Market Theatre.  It's down in the Chewing Gum Alley.  They do improv like "Who's Line is it Anyhow?"  They're pretty good, but I'm not certain if minors are allowed.  

IF you choose to visit the San Juan Islands, you may want to avoid weekends, which get especially crazy. Also, look at reserving a spot on the ferry. That will make all the difference. (My parents live on San Juan Island.)

We went whale watching on our last visit. We didn't see any whales, but it was great fun. The tours make a point to show you lots of wildlife, so even if you don't see whales, you aren't left feeling like you've missed out.