Menu

Grapes with seeds

Night Elf

Really? I would have never thought to swallow seeds.

Yep.

Spitting them out takes effort.

Swallowing is easy.

Grape seeds can actually be quite nutritious if you chew them, but they're hard and a bit bitter. But they're certainly not going to hurt you if swallowed either whole or chewed.

• Like 2

Why would someone choose to eat grapes with seeds instead of seedless grapes? I've never had grapes with seeds but I almost grabbed a bag today. I'm so glad I took a closer look at the packaging!

The grapes themselves taste the same, and the seeds aren't that annoying. You swallow them or spit them out. I mean, you eat apples with seeds, right? And cherries, and oranges, and all sorts of things.

I just buy whatever variety of grape is cheapest, provided it isn't Concord. Can't stand those.

I usually don't buy grapes overseas because they're often not seedless in lots of other countries and I've never liked grapes with seeds, including grapes from the vines in the garden when I was growing up. It's not a great loss though, since there is usually a lot of other really good fruit to eat instead.

My dad liked a certain variety of seeded grape and at the time there was no seedless version.  He loved the flavor and would usually just either spit the seeds out or swallow them.  He's gone now but there are a lot more varieties of seedless grapes available so I wonder if he would find a seedless variety that appealed to him...

I grew up eating Concord grapes; they have seeds but we just swallowed them.  They were so delicious.  To me, no other type of grape compares in taste.  The seeds or lack thereof are not the important part to me!  

• Like 3

I grew up eating Concord grapes; they have seeds but we just swallowed them.  They were so delicious.  To me, no other type of grape compares in taste.  The seeds or lack thereof are not the important part to me!  

Yeah they are pretty much the only grape I'm willing to eat.  I think grapes taste yucky, but the Concord ones are amazing.

• Like 1

Actually I don't eat much fruit. Apples I peel and core and cut off the tops of the slices to get rid of all seeds. They're not hard to work around. I don't eat watermelon because of the seeds. I can't think of any other fruit with seeds I've eaten.

Edited by Night Elf

I don't mind eating the seeds, I just think the flavor is worse in the seeded ones. Maybe I'm just so used to the unseeded, but I was actually surprised by that.

When I lived in China, not only did most people spit the seeds, but a large portion of people peeled every individual grape before eating.

I hate seeded grapes but my dad loves them. He used to get them occasionally and it was always a nasty surprise! He said they tasted better and he liked that they were bigger. I think the grapes taste different and the flavor is fine if I go to the trouble to cut the grapes and get the seed out before biting. I think the seeds taste bitter whether I accidentally chew them, swallow them whole, or spit them out. Gross.

I had no idea that other countries don't sell seedless grapes! I wonder why they haven't become popular other places. 

How do you eat a grape and swallow the seeds without accidentally chewing one?  Biting into a seed ruins the grape for me.   Ruins the taste.  When I used to eat seeded grapes (before seedless were available), I'd have to bite it in half, take out the seeds and eat the other half.  Too much work when seedless is available.

• Like 1

How do you eat a grape and swallow the seeds without accidentally chewing one?  Biting into a seed ruins the grape for me.   Ruins the taste.  When I used to eat seeded grapes (before seedless were available), I'd have to bite it in half, take out the seeds and eat the other half.  Too much work when seedless is available.

Chew gently.  They are pretty soft, you can even use your tongue.

Actually I don't eat much fruit. Apples I peel and core and cut off the tops of the slices to get rid of all seeds. They're not hard to work around. I don't eat watermelon because of the seeds. I can't think of any other fruit with seeds I've eaten.

Interesting. I eat Apples the no-waste way I learned on here. Sometimes I spit out the seeds, but it doesn't horrify me anymore if I eat them. I love eating an apple that way, especially in public. It amazes people.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vdCGnuccRv0

Edited by Quill

The term seeded grapes always confuses me. I assume seeded grapes have had the seeds removed, like cored apples have had the cores removed and pitted cherries have had the pits removed.

Unseeded means seedless but to me it sounds like grapes that have not had the seeds removed.

Fun with language.

• Like 1

Interesting. I eat Apples the no-waste way I learned on here. Sometimes I spit out the seeds, but it doesn't horrify me anymore if I eat them. I love eating an apple that way, especially in public. It amazes people.

Egads! I could never do that.

• Like 1

I thought I was the only person on the planet who did that, so thank you for posting. :)

• Like 1