Menu

Well Trained Bodies - 3/26/17

Granny_Weatherwax

I got my first workout of the week in, my hour class at dh's work! Being back at his work regularly really makes me miss kung fu. I think once I reach the halfway point of my weight loss goal I'm going to start taking class again. I'm about a year away from getting my black belt. Pregnancy has slowed my progress consistently for the last 5 years. Maybe 2018 will be the year I finally do it.

• Like 5

I pulled off a great full-body machines workout on Sunday, and then proceeded to cut branches and move rocks for a while, so it was quite a bit, overall!

This week, I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to switch up, because I'm afraid that if I don't see some more noticeable change, I'm going to get more discouraged and slide backwards.  I realized yesterday that I've hit 12 weeks since being "back at it".  I know I'm in a much healthier place and I feel good. I'm moving heavier weight and I can move fast for a good hour without thinking I'm going to die.  My diet is far from perfect, but it's SO much better than it had been for a while there.  (My calcium and fiber intakes still stink.)  These are all awesome things that I wanted to do, so yay!

But the combination of a lack of change in weight AND lack of change in my middle area is taking up a lot of head space.  All that other good stuff has kept me going for twelve whole weeks, but I'm not sure it can sustain me long-term without a bigger shift.  And that disappoints me in and of itself, because I want all that other stuff to be good enough.  It's like being all excited for ice cream and being told there's no fudge sauce.  I wasn't counting on the fudge sauce, but now I'm really craving it!

I should be able to get a few more normal workouts in this week, but my focus is going to be on deciding what to shake up and how to keep moving forward.

• Like 3

This week, I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to switch up, because I'm afraid that if I don't see some more noticeable change, I'm going to get more discouraged and slide backwards.  I realized yesterday that I've hit 12 weeks since being "back at it".  I know I'm in a much healthier place and I feel good. I'm moving heavier weight and I can move fast for a good hour without thinking I'm going to die.  My diet is far from perfect, but it's SO much better than it had been for a while there.  (My calcium and fiber intakes still stink.)  These are all awesome things that I wanted to do, so yay!

But the combination of a lack of change in weight AND lack of change in my middle area is taking up a lot of head space.  All that other good stuff has kept me going for twelve whole weeks, but I'm not sure it can sustain me long-term without a bigger shift.  And that disappoints me in and of itself, because I want all that other stuff to be good enough.  It's like being all excited for ice cream and being told there's no fudge sauce.  I wasn't counting on the fudge sauce, but now I'm really craving it!

I am headed off to work but wanted to say there is some good research that by exercise, in and of itself, you are hitting the visceral fat even if you can't see evidence of it. You can probably google exercise and visceral fat for yourself. There was a study that I think kind of set the standard about 10 years ago: the STRRIDE study at Duke. (I think there are 2 Rs. There might be 2 Ds) Kraus (maybe Krauss) and Slenz were two of the principle investigators. 

• Like 2

Carrie- I hear you on wanting to see progress in the physical form, it is frustrating to work and work and not "see" it. 

hjffkj- Kudos on your workout. I think your plan for starting back at Kung Fu is an awesome one, will be good motivation.

No exercise for me yesterday. Plenty of general busyness trying to get caught up on everything, I made good progress on my too long to-do list. I am however proud to say my eating was good, it was nice to have the time to cook good meals. I've planned out supper for the rest of the week, well until Friday when we go out of town. I need to plan for this weekend as I hope to cook up food to take with us to save money and so we eat better.

• Like 1

Carrie - Just keep going! You're doing fantastic. :hurray:   Rome wasn't built in a day, and your body just needs more time to transform.   :p  Be patient and don't give up!  This is a life-long journey. Enjoy your trip along the way toward your goals. Celebrate every little success along the way. Tweak away at your activity and food program to keep things exciting.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

Lots of rain in the forecast, which isn't great for skiing or biking. It's excellent for melting the snow off the outdoor tennis courts, though! Got to keep thinking positively. ;) 

I'm trying to psych myself up for getting in a little run, but it's only 34F outside now. I'll wait until it warms up a bit more.

• Like 2

Hi Everyone!  I haven't been around much lately because things have been busy here.  But not so busy that I couldn't workout.  I've been chugging along with pretty much the same routine, though I am a little bit behind on my cardio hours.  My daughter has been going to the gym with me more, which is wonderful.

Is everything okay with Scoutermom?  I'm surprised she hasn't started a new thread yet.  Hope she's alright.  Olga, congrats to you and your daughter on the fencing tournament!  And Soror, congrats to you too on getting your yoga teacher's training!  I've just kind of skimmed the posts that I've missed, so if I missed anyone else's important news, I apologize.

I've decided that I'm going to go back to counting and restricting carbs.  It just works so well for me in terms of losing/maintaining weight that it doesn't make sense not to do it, you know?  I can't go back to ketogenic levels (below 60g per day, I was usually getting around 40g or so) because I fear it will make the migraines and other perimenopause symptoms worse again.  But I've read that the average American gets something like 250-300g per day, and though I haven't counted, I'm pretty sure I've been eating something like 200-250 per day.  So there's still a lot of room between that and ketosis.  I am going to aim for 120g per day for a few weeks, and see how that works.

• Like 4

I have challenged myself with a couch to 5K running schedule to prepare for a 5k my daughter wants to run.  She loves running so I am supporting her by running it too. I have never been fond of running but I am trying to have a good attitude for her sake.

I also want to go to four Jazzercise classes this week, one of which is a strength class.

For the past month, I have been eating mostly vegan, low carb, and a little sugar all the while trying to keep my calories under 1200.  I haven't weighed myself but the weight is coming off because my clothing is more loose.

My goal is to lose 30 lbs before September:)

Edited by Jewels
  • Like 5

I have challenged myself with a couch to 5K running schedule to prepare for a 5k my daughter wants to run.  She loves running so I am supporting her by running it too. I have never been fond of running but I am trying to have a good attitude for her sake.

That is so awesome!  I find that having a pleasant setting for running is really the ticket to enjoying it. When I run on nice trails in the woods it is so much fun to run. The softer surface, the smells of the trees and the little forest birds and squirrels makes the entire experience much better than simply pounding the pavement.

All the best in you and your dd's running adventure!

• Like 4

I also want to go to four Jazzercise classes this week, one of which is a strength class.

For the past month, I have been eating mostly vegan, low carb, and a little sugar all the while trying to keep my calories under 1200.  I haven't weighed myself but the weight is coming off because my clothing is loose.

My goal is to lose 30 lbs before September:)

I love that you're taking up running so you can do it with your daughter!  

Your calorie count sounds very low to me.  I'm worried you're not eating enough and will mess up your metabolism.  

• Like 2

I apologize for not beginning a new thread this week. I have officially gone from melancholic to depressed and am just working on making it through each day.

I walked 7 miles on Sat., did nothing but read and mope on Sunday, did 40 mins at the Y yesterday morning but then had to either work or babysit the rest of the day.

I awoke too late to go to the Y this morning. I am supposed to play tennis this afternoon so I hope that gives me a boost.

--

I haven't read the thread but I hope everyone else is doing well and keeping up on exercise and dieting.

• Like 4

I apologize for not beginning a new thread this week. I have officially gone from melancholic to depressed and am just working on making it through each day.

I walked 7 miles on Sat., did nothing but read and mope on Sunday, did 40 mins at the Y yesterday morning but then had to either work or babysit the rest of the day.

I awoke too late to go to the Y this morning. I am supposed to play tennis this afternoon so I hope that gives me a boost.

--

I haven't read the thread but I hope everyone else is doing well and keeping up on exercise and dieting.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that you've been feeling so down.  Don't worry about not starting a new thread - I was just concerned about you!  I hope that your tennis match this afternoon will indeed give you a boost.  :grouphug:

• Like 4

--

I am sorry that you're feeling depressed, too.   :grouphug:

Hope that the tennis helps.

• Like 1

--

How are your cold/flu symptoms? That can get really depressing if illness hangs on for weeks and weeks. I've been known to use oil of oregano with good results after flu symptoms kept hanging on forever. It really tastes bad, but it's my fall-back plan. Hope things improve soon!

Enjoy your tennis!! 

• Like 1

--

I'm sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well!  Hang in there and I hope that someone can help and give you some support.  

• Like 1

alisoncooks, I find myself with a lot of disrupted/resumed workouts too...my dogs are usually the culprits these days :-D

Carrie, I can relate to needing some sort of physical manifestation of the change to be able to maintain motivation. I will avoid the scale when I am adding weights to the routine, because I know the numbers will likely go up for a bit, which messes with my head.

Scoutermom, do what you need to do to get through this time. I'm impressed that you are maintaining physical activity in the midst of the depression. Hugs.

Hanging in there with the routine here! Yesterday was an hour long old school Cathe Friedrich step workout. I have tons of VHS workouts that I am still using, but they are showing signs of age (and I'm not talking about the leotard/pilgrim belts/leg warmer combinations, lol.) I hope my VCR can stay the course a while longer. Today is some Firm workout, I need to look at the schedule for the plan I am using. :-) Eating is fine, and I am less resentful of it this week. :-D

• Like 1

Hanging in there with the routine here! Yesterday was an hour long old school Cathe Friedrich step workout. I have tons of VHS workouts that I am still using, but they are showing signs of age (and I'm not talking about the leotard/pilgrim belts/leg warmer combinations, lol.) I hope my VCR can stay the course a while longer. Today is some Firm workout, I need to look at the schedule for the plan I am using. :-) Eating is fine, and I am less resentful of it this week. :-D

Cathe is how I started doing step.  I borrowed Power Max from the library in 1998 or 1999 and was hooked.  Now I own almost all of her workouts, but I run for cardio and use her for strength.  

• Like 1

I've decided that I'm going to go back to counting and restricting carbs.  It just works so well for me in terms of losing/maintaining weight that it doesn't make sense not to do it, you know?  I can't go back to ketogenic levels (below 60g per day, I was usually getting around 40g or so) because I fear it will make the migraines and other perimenopause symptoms worse again.  But I've read that the average American gets something like 250-300g per day, and though I haven't counted, I'm pretty sure I've been eating something like 200-250 per day.  So there's still a lot of room between that and ketosis.  I am going to aim for 120g per day for a few weeks, and see how that works.

Greta, are your migraines linked to peri? I am asking because when my first symptoms started, I did some google digging and found some rather small and obscure research paper about effect of melatonin and it's link to the production of female hormones that gets disrupted during perimenopause. I figured that melatonin was a cheap and relatively safe thing to try, and it actually helped me a lot. Unless I forget and skip too many days in a row, my cycle is back to 4 weeks and no associated migraines. If you think of it, melatonin (and probably other hormones, like estrogen and progesterone) production is directly linked to carbs. Obviously, I can't promise anything, and it may not work for you, but as I said, it is cheap and pretty safe for most people, so maybe taking it as a supplement will let you get back to low carb diet?

• Like 2

So my mom and I were supposed the walk this afternoon. Somehow it turned into her walking the kids to the park and me picking them up in the van when they're done. At least she still gets her walk in and I get some time to hang out with the baby and my dad. I'll try to do something during dd's dance class tonight

• Like 5

Greta, are your migraines linked to peri? I am asking because when my first symptoms started, I did some google digging and found some rather small and obscure research paper about effect of melatonin and it's link to the production of female hormones that gets disrupted during perimenopause. I figured that melatonin was a cheap and relatively safe thing to try, and it actually helped me a lot. Unless I forget and skip too many days in a row, my cycle is back to 4 weeks and no associated migraines. If you think of it, melatonin (and probably other hormones, like estrogen and progesterone) production is directly linked to carbs. Obviously, I can't promise anything, and it may not work for you, but as I said, it is cheap and pretty safe for most people, so maybe taking it as a supplement will let you get back to low carb diet?

Yes, I've had migraines since puberty, but they became chronic when I hit peri, and it has been brutal. I'm certainly willing to give melatonin a try, and I really appreciate you mentioning it! Would you happen to have any particular recommendation regarding dosage?

• Like 2

Scoutermom - I'm right there with you!  After an awesome January and February of working out and eating well, I had some terrible news at the end of February that has sent me into something close to depression. That, along with a minor medical procedure that required not exercising, really set me back for the month of March  I'm not even sure where the month went.  

But last night I went on a walk.  And today I told myself I wasn't going to go back to bed after the kids went to school, and I listened!  I went to the gym for my favorite zumba/step/bootcamp class.  And it was awesome.  I felt great! I still feel good and it's been a few hours.  I think I'm going to be a little sore tomorrow, but I'm committed to going again on Thursday.  

I think I can do this.  I think I can pull myself up.  

I hope.

• Like 5

I pulled off a great full-body machines workout on Sunday, and then proceeded to cut branches and move rocks for a while, so it was quite a bit, overall!

This week, I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to switch up, because I'm afraid that if I don't see some more noticeable change, I'm going to get more discouraged and slide backwards. I realized yesterday that I've hit 12 weeks since being "back at it". I know I'm in a much healthier place and I feel good. I'm moving heavier weight and I can move fast for a good hour without thinking I'm going to die. My diet is far from perfect, but it's SO much better than it had been for a while there. (My calcium and fiber intakes still stink.) These are all awesome things that I wanted to do, so yay!

But the combination of a lack of change in weight AND lack of change in my middle area is taking up a lot of head space. All that other good stuff has kept me going for twelve whole weeks, but I'm not sure it can sustain me long-term without a bigger shift. And that disappoints me in and of itself, because I want all that other stuff to be good enough. It's like being all excited for ice cream and being told there's no fudge sauce. I wasn't counting on the fudge sauce, but now I'm really craving it!

I should be able to get a few more normal workouts in this week, but my focus is going to be on deciding what to shake up and how to keep moving forward.

The last time I lost anything in the middle, I'd been at it for four months consistently before I noticed a change. I know what you mean about running out of motivation though. Hopefully you'll see progress sooner. Congrats on the added strength and endurance!

• Like 3

You know, I actually gave my scale away and I've been so much happier with my progress.  I can tell that my clothes feel looser and my arms have more definition.  I began kettlebell interval classes (2 a week) last week and I'm attributing them to breaking through my plateau.  I know that I exercise a lot now, but I'm beginning to wondering what maintenance will look like.  My schedule will change drastically next month and I won't be able to work out as much.  Ideas?

• Like 3

Yes, I've had migraines since puberty, but they became chronic when I hit peri, and it has been brutal. I'm certainly willing to give melatonin a try, and I really appreciate you mentioning it! Would you happen to have any particular recommendation regarding dosage?

In the study they used 3 or 3.5 mg, I think. I read about melatonin in general, and after that decided to start with the lowest dose I could find - 0.5 mg. It worked, so I stayed with it. Since I only had problems for the first two days of the cycle, it took me a few weeks to notice the effect. I do have a shadow of headache this month, some mental "cloudiness" and a touch of nausea, and actually now that I think of it, the last three weeks I ate pretty low carb...meat, green veggies, dairy and coffee, mostly, and usually I have my fair share of sweets. But after all the workouts, I don't want any, I am craving meat instead. Maybe I should stop thinking how fascinating human body chemistry is and go eat a cookie.

• Like 3

Carrie12345, I am not seeing any changes in my midsection either :( I started gaining fat there 18 months ago (?). I still have a visible waistline but am pudgy.

However, I have visible arm, shoulder, calf, and quad muscles :D I try to concentrate on those gains---though that can be difficult.

This week's exercise plans:

MWF lifting w 10-15 min HIIT finishers

TTh moderate intensity cardio

W Pop Pilates class (next week begins 2x week!)

Today for MIC I did hill sprints on the gym bike as it was rainy. Last night I went for a 3mi walk after dinner.

I am closely tracking my food, calories and macros, for the month of April. If I track AND get at least 30 active minutes a day, I can reward myself with new capri length leggings and more sports bras.

I'm aiming for 1400-1600 calories with 90+ grams of protein. I did an online macro calculator which says I should get 122g protein, 53g fat, 163g carbs with 23g fiber (all +- 5g). That 122g is so hard for me. Last summer I focused on getting 75+g protein, which made a huge difference in my strength and energy. 90+ is def doable.

• Like 4

You know, I actually gave my scale away and I've been so much happier with my progress.  I can tell that my clothes feel looser and my arms have more definition.  I began kettlebell interval classes (2 a week) last week and I'm attributing them to breaking through my plateau.  I know that I exercise a lot now, but I'm beginning to wondering what maintenance will look like.  My schedule will change drastically next month and I won't be able to work out as much.  Ideas?

When I studied Human Kinetics 25 years ago, the rule of thumb was training 3x/week to see some increase, 2x/week for maintenance. That's the more intense training you've been doing in order to maintain the higher level skills and training.

You can do less intense physical activity (e.g., walking, easy cycling, gardening, etc.) for 30 min everyday, if you can fit it in.

• Like 3

In the study they used 3 or 3.5 mg, I think. I read about melatonin in general, and after that decided to start with the lowest dose I could find - 0.5 mg. It worked, so I stayed with it. Since I only had problems for the first two days of the cycle, it took me a few weeks to notice the effect. I do have a shadow of headache this month, some mental "cloudiness" and a touch of nausea, and actually now that I think of it, the last three weeks I ate pretty low carb...meat, green veggies, dairy and coffee, mostly, and usually I have my fair share of sweets. But after all the workouts, I don't want any, I am craving meat instead. Maybe I should stop thinking how fascinating human body chemistry is and go eat a cookie.

Thank you, Olga!  I'm definitely going to try it.  We have some melatonin on hand anyway because my husband sometimes uses it to help him sleep.  I've tried a number of herbs and vitamins that people recommended, which didn't help at all.  But I know that my migraines are triggered by hormone fluctuations/imbalance/something, and melatonin is a hormone so maybe, just maybe.....  (I hope!)

• Like 2

I got about an hour of indoor walking and stairs done this evening at the mall while ds was at his basketball practice. The mall has 3 stories, so I'd walk one level, climb stairs, walk another level, climb more stairs, walk another level, go back down, etc. My thighs are still sore from my epic 2 hour snowshoe on Sunday. 

At the end of the walk I stopped at WalMart (top level of the mall) and bought some Indian salty snacks. The ingredients are so healthy, and they taste great! It's lovely to have such a large international population here that even WalMart brings in some cool international foods.

• Like 5

I went for a bike ride to run a couple errands. It was a pretty good work-out. Not as intense and thrilling as skiing the biathlon hills, but not much is.  :laugh:   I'm planning on biking some of those trails this spring and summer. That should be run!

• Like 4

Once again, wintermom, you win the Most Varied Workouts prize! You definitely have the active lifestyle habit. :-)

The scale was back to where it was prior to the 1 1/2 week carbfest, so we will hope to move into new and exciting territory now. A couple of VHS Firm workouts on the schedule for today, with hopes that the VCR keeps kicking, and a dog walk at some point. Outside walks are tricky in our current season. Lots of slush, deep puddles. The river is still frozen-ish, but with some overflow, so I will be losing that favorite trail soon.

• Like 3

Once again, wintermom, you win the Most Varied Workouts prize! You definitely have the active lifestyle habit. :-)

Thanks so much! Yes, this is exactly what it is, an active lifestyle habit I've been intentionally working at for almost 50 years. It's just as easy for me to get stuck on the computer or in front of the TV with a bag of cookies as the next person. I find that the more physical activities you can build into your lifestyle, the easier it is to keep being active and take a pass on the cookies. I almost always bring along a family member, too. It's more fun to be active with someone, though I do enjoy a solitary moment as well. ;)

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5

I took another Bodypump class today.  My workouts sound boring compared some of you!    

I've posted before of my disappointments in progress, if you can recall.  I'll relist my complaints... :lol:

My legs getting too bulky

slow results

scale not moving...

Well, I just wanted to encourage all of you to keep going!  I've been working out (pretty intensely) for 2 months now.  Initially, I saw some improvement, but then I had the strength training water retention and the bulky legs.  Needless to say, I was not pleased.  I kept pushing through it and now I can say that this past week I'm seeing progress again.   I'm the kind of person who can work out pretty intensely, but if I don't see some tangible results, I can get discouraged.  Who wants to work out for hours a week and see no progress towards their goals?  I can't.

So don't give up ladies!

• Like 7

Went to the class last night, and for whatever reason decided that I can do those squat jumps with the kids. I did. It was fun even, but pretty much as soon as I finished, I knew I'll have to pay for it. My muscles are sore today, tomorrow they will be worse. Early morning on Friday I have another competition. Now, the question is what was I thinking when I decided to do it? I could have figured out it would happen. Any ideas how I may walk on Friday, let alone fence?

• Like 4

Went to the class last night, and for whatever reason decided that I can do those squat jumps with the kids. I did. It was fun even, but pretty much as soon as I finished, I knew I'll have to pay for it. My muscles are sore today, tomorrow they will be worse. Early morning on Friday I have another competition. Now, the question is what was I thinking when I decided to do it? I could have figured out it would happen. Any ideas how I may walk on Friday, let alone fence?

Have you ever tried Arnica gel or cream?

• Like 2

Anything that increases blood flow to the muscles will help them recover more quickly: massage, a sauna or steam room or hot bath, and also, ironically enough, more exercise.

• Like 2

Anything that increases blood flow to the muscles will help them recover more quickly: massage, a sauna or steam room or hot bath, and also, ironically enough, more exercise.

Ok, I'll go to the class tonight, then hot bath and arnica gel :) and hope it works. Thanks! Usually I just suffer through it, but I want to be able to score at least some touches on Friday, and it's hard when you can't bend your knees or lunge.

• Like 3

What does that mean? You can deadlift 145? Wow!

Yes :) I've been working for almost two years through and after a shoulder injury. Today I started with 6 reps at 95lb to warm up, then I did 2 sets of 6 reps at 135lb (last week I maxed at 135lb). That felt good so I added 5 lb. My form was still perfect so I went for 145lb! The first 5 reps were great but I broke form (curved my lower back) on the last one.

Last fall I was able to do *1* deadlift at 135lb.

Dh thinks I should test my maximum soon to see what I can do. I'm kinda scared to do that. I still feel intimidated being the only woman in the weight area at the time Inwirk out.

• Like 7

Just got back from my hour cardio class. It was a tough one but I made it through it. Tonight they did stations which is my favorite. Each round was minute with a 20 second rest in between. There were leg stations, arm stations, doing mit work with an instructor, etc. I'm gonna need to soak in the tub tonight to help my muscle recover

• Like 7

Today I started with 6 reps at 95lb to warm up, 

Your warm-up weight is my personal best!  Congrats on hitting 145!   :hurray:

This reminds me of a question I was going to ask.  At the gym today, I noticed a guy doing pretty heavy deadlifts, and instead of coming to an upright standing position like I always do, he was going beyond that and hyperextending his back noticeably at the top of the motion.  Is that a good way to make the lift more challenging and therefore beneficial?  Or is that a good way to hurt yourself?

• Like 2