Menu

Just so you know...air ambulance bills!

G5052

Don't get me wrong. I'm very thankful for the crew that airlifted my husband earlier this month. He went into cardiac arrest in the helicopter, and they brought him back. They also diverted to a hospital five minutes closer because they thought he wouldn't make it going to a larger multi-state trauma center. That was completely the right decision. He had excellent care at the other hospital.

But the first "run" of the bill was $36,000 for that helicopter. 

DH called both insurance and the company yesterday, and they're "working" on it. Thankfully our insurance has that benefit. No doubt it was justified.

My heart skipped a beat though.

• Like 3

Don't get me wrong. I'm very thankful for the crew that airlifted my husband earlier this month. He went into cardiac arrest in the helicopter, and they brought him back. They also diverted to a hospital five minutes closer because they thought he wouldn't make it going to a larger multi-state trauma center. That was completely the right decision. He had excellent care at the other hospital.

But the first "run" of the bill was $36,000 for that helicopter.

DH called both insurance and the company yesterday, and they're "working" on it. Thankfully our insurance has that benefit. No doubt it was justified.

Wow, that is just crazy. I must have missed that part of the story----about a heart attack in the helicopter. Glad they were able to save him!

THIS is EXACTLY why we signed up for "helicopter insurance" a couple weeks ago. We live so far away from the nearest ER that, heaven forbid, if something serious were to happen we'd need to be medevac'ed --- and it ain't cheap!

I hope your insurance gets this straightened out!

So glad your dh survived.  The fee sounds crazy, but probably that's just the cost. Sorry you had to even see that. It should have gone straight to the insurance, IMO. It's just not the kind of thing you and your dh should have to worry about right now. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

The worst part is most air ambulances actually operate at a loss and utilize fundraisers, at least the ones here.

When my step grandmother died, she had been airlifted to a specialty hospital approximately 17 miles away. The cost before insurance was close to $48,000.

• Like 2

My dad used to like looking at my mom's many cancer bills, as it made him glad for their great insurance.  I hope yours pays all of this bill.

I am thankful that we have this service; not every place even in North America does.  It saved the life of my friend, a young mom who was indigent and uninsured.

So glad your dh survived.  The fee sounds crazy, but probably that's just the cost. Sorry you had to even see that. It should have gone straight to the insurance, IMO. It's just not the kind of thing you and your dh should have to worry about right now. 

Thankfully he already has a "care manager" with the insurance company because of the volume of bills he has. He talked to her yesterday and said she'd watch for the helicopter claim.

He also called yesterday on a $3,000+ ER visit that we had less than a week before the helicopter. They said that they'd pay zero on the statement we got. The insurance system runs on just the first code, and it was a multi-code ER visit. She switched the codes, and our out-of-pocket dropped to 10%.

He's so very much better now and is running all of this down himself.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 7

THIS is EXACTLY why we signed up for "helicopter insurance" a couple weeks ago. We live so far away from the nearest ER that, heaven forbid, if something serious were to happen we'd need to be medevac'ed --- and it ain't cheap!

I hope your insurance gets this straightened out!

What insurance did you end up buying?

Thankfully he already has a "care manager" with the insurance company because of the volume of bills he has. He talked to her yesterday and said she'd watch for the helicopter claim.

He also called yesterday on a $3,000+ ER visit that we had less than a week before the helicopter. They said that they'd pay zero on the statement we got. The insurance system runs on just the first code, and it was a multi-code ER visit. She switched the codes, and our out-of-pocket dropped to 10%.

He's so very much better now and is running all of this down himself.

While I'm not happy that all of this is happening to your family, I'm so glad to hear how much better he's doing now that he's receiving care. That's wonderful news  :grouphug:

• Like 1

So glad your husband survived all of that!  Wow.  

I always assumed helicopter/ambulance insurance was included in most private insurance policies.  Our was when we needed both of those services.  We live in a small rural town, about 130 miles away from a major trauma center, and we hear the medical helicopter flying overhead several days/week.  

• Like 1

The worst part is most air ambulances actually operate at a loss and utilize fundraisers, at least the ones here.

When my step grandmother died, she had been airlifted to a specialty hospital approximately 17 miles away. The cost before insurance was close to $48,000.

I know. They're not being exorbitant, it's just an incredibly expensive service.

:ohmy:

But the first "run" of the bill was $36,000 for that helicopter

Very true. Most people have no idea how much medically equipd copters cost, much less liability insurance on something like that. It is HUGE. Just huge. Add in an experienced pilot, flight medics, ....

Chances are the bill will eventually come down as fund raised dollars are used to offset the cost.