Menu

Inconsistent workouts

Moxie

This keeps happening!! I'll do great with working out, start to see progress, hit a busy patch, miss a week (or two) and then struggle to start all over.

How do you make workouts a priority when you are super busy?!? I can't seem to manage it.

For me-

-a variety of options for working out, sometimes I workout at the Studio but mostly I do stuff at home

-fitting it into my day whenever I can but I try to set aside certain times

-even if my goal doesn't work, do something anyway

-if I consistently miss exercise/being active I cut the schedule until it fits in

- lower expectations until you find something you can make, then work on building up, with my last pregnancy which brough on thyroid disease I hardly had the energy to do anything and with a high needs baby it was hard. My first goal was to just make it outside every day, I started walking longer and longer distances from there. 

-if I consistently skip an exercise then I look at what I am doing, if I hate it and avoid it then it is time to change things up- activity is not optional but I have no requirements on what I do

• Like 2

This definitely applies to me! I have always been inconsistent with exercise. I stick with it for 6 months, stop for 4, go back for 3, drop for 5, etc. I wish that I could stick with it, but I really hate exercise. Vanity is the only thing that makes me go back to it at all. The longest I ever did it was when I had a trainer come to my house 2x a week. She came for about a year or so. Then she moved away. :( So, back to inconsistency... sigh.

What probably has helped me the most is that my husband goes with me most of the time.  We motivate each other.  When I'm not feeling like going he hounds me.  And then the other way around.  There were many days I don't think either of us would have gone without that.  So that's been huge.

• Like 3

For me, there is only one thing that is a higher priority in my daily routine than exercising and that is homeschooling. Because I set it as my second highest priority on a daily basis it is not an option not to do it. The only time u do not exercise is when recovering from surgery, while sick, or when multiple kids are sick mainly so I don't wear myself out.

If I know that I have a busy week and might not be able to do my hour long cardio class multiple times that week I look up a quicker workout on Pinterest and do that first thing in the morning because the day can get in my way. I like HIIT that simply consists of squats, push-ups, and other things I can do with no equipment.

• Like 2

get up early, and first thing in the morning.   if I don't - it doesn't happen.

and right now, I'm really struggling with my adrenals - so I'm struggling just to do my "out of shape" workout (and skipping parts).  very frustrating.

• Like 2

Build it into your lifestyle and find a form of exercise you enjoy.

DH and I walk most nights. We hike and rock climb. He bikes.

It gets done because we love the activities and want to do them. I would not stick with some "routine" I did not enjoy.

It could be other stuff - dancing, swimming, running. If it's fun, it gets done.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

I do yoga and rowing. I really enjoy them. I work out in the AM after I drop the kids off unless I'm really busy like right now. I know I just need to make it a priority.

• Like 1

It gets done because we love the activities and want to do them. I would not stick with some "routine" I did not enjoy.

It could be other stuff - dancing, swimming, running. If it's fun, it gets done.

I'd love to do this, but I don't enjoy many of these things OR they require better weather than what we have most of the time.  So what happens is nothing gets done.  I figure better to drag myself to a gym than do nothing.

Plus with going to a gym, you can go any time of day or night.  With some of these other things you can't.

This keeps happening!! I'll do great with working out, start to see progress, hit a busy patch, miss a week (or two) and then struggle to start all over.

How do you make workouts a priority when you are super busy?!? I can't seem to manage it.

I'm no help, but I wanted to let you know I do the same thing you do, so at least you're not alone. :)

• Like 4

I like keeping short workouts around,15 minute options for busy days. It keeps the momentum going even if you need to be a real slacker because of a busy time in your life. When things settle down you can get back to whatever your desired exercise level really is. Heavy weights or kettlebells are also great. You can get a really great workout in quickly if you know what you are doing.

• Like 1

No quick and easy answer, but once I found what I really enjoy I can keep going. I tried running once with the goal to do a 5k in under 30 minutes. Once I go there I stopped running. I just couldn't motivate myself to do something that I hated and dreaded everyday. Now I'm lifting in Bodypump and look forward to it.

I cannot make my workout a priority, so I do it with my kids. They are my priority, their sport is my priority, so I am in the studio most of the time. I use that time to workout. When I tried to do it by myself, there was always something more important.

:iagree:    I definitely pick activities that I love to do, and then I keep doing them year after year without feeling like it's a chore.  Dh and I play tennis together, both doubles and singles. The dc and I ski, skate, snowshoe and cycle with me. I run by myself with I can't do more fun stuff (running is more of a chore for me). 

I walk the dog because I have to for his sake. It's not my favourite activity, but it does force me out off my chair and outside. 

Due to many many issues, I suck at exercise and with my craptastic neck issues, since I was a kid, many regular exercises have hurt me,

Solution for me was to purchase a rebounder.  I put in 15 minutes a couple times a day.  It is right there in my living room behind my comfy chair.  Between loads of laundry, after I clean the kitchen, before or after picking up the kids or running errands and absolutely while catching up on my CW shows. ;)

Because it isn't some "routine" I am able to get it done and it's fun. 

• Like 2

How do I make exercise a priority? I make it a priority. That means it has priority over other things. I adapt my schedule so that I get my top priorities done, and exercise is one of my top priorities. I will even skip a shower to get in a workout. Dry shampoo and baby wipes/wash cloth work amazingly followed by deodorant. Meals will be late if I have to get in exercise first. I will squeeze in exercise where I can if need be. 

Example: the other day I had to have blood drawn, and the wait was over an hour. By the time I got home we had to hurry and leave for the kids' music lesson which is 2 hours long plus 1/2 hour drive each way. So I used an hour of that time to go to the park and jog. We got home and did some school work, a few chores, cooked food, and in the last 20 min. before the kids had karate, I snuck in a quick 15 min HIIT. This means I literally finish my workout, change my shoes, grab my keys and water bottle, and we leave. Am I red faced and sweaty? Yep. I usually stay in the car when I look like that. Or take the 45 min to walk around the building as a cool down. 

I get up 2 hours before the kids so I have time to exercise in the morning. 

I like exercise and I love how it makes me feel so it is my #1 priority to get done besides appointments and activities. Therefore I make sure I fit it in. For me I have a hard time making eating a priority. If I have to choose between eating and exercise I will choose exercise. Protein bars are my friend for that reason. 

Basically, that old saying is true. "Where there is a will, there is a way."

The book, Hot Sweaty Mama, is great for time management and motivation. I've recommended it many times here before. 

Edited by Mom-ninja.
  • Like 3

Due to many many issues, I suck at exercise and with my craptastic neck issues, since I was a kid, many regular exercises have hurt me,

Solution for me was to purchase a rebounder.  I put in 15 minutes a couple times a day.  It is right there in my living room behind my comfy chair.  Between loads of laundry, after I clean the kitchen, before or after picking up the kids or running errands and absolutely while catching up on my CW shows. ;)

Because it isn't some "routine" I am able to get it done and it's fun. 

I love bouncing on my rebounder!

• Like 1

The key thing here is you love it.  I don't love it.  At all.  Not even a little.  So it's a real struggle to do it.  I love to eat...no struggle there..LOL

How do I make exercise a priority? I make it a priority. That means it has priority over other things. I adapt my schedule so that I get my top priorities done, and exercise is one of my top priorities. I will even skip a shower to get in a workout. Dry shampoo and baby wipes/wash cloth work amazingly followed by deodorant. Meals will be late if I have to get in exercise first. I will squeeze in exercise where I can if need be. 

Example: the other day I had to have blood drawn, and the wait was over an hour. By the time I got home we had to hurry and leave for the kids' music lesson which is 2 hours long plus 1/2 hour drive each way. So I used an hour of that time to go to the park and jog. We got home and did some school work, a few chores, cooked food, and in the last 20 min. before the kids had karate, I snuck in a quick 15 min HIIT. This means I literally finish my workout, change my shoes, grab my keys and water bottle, and we leave. Am I red faced and sweaty? Yep. I usually stay in the car when I look like that. Or take the 45 min to walk around the building as a cool down. 

I get up 2 hours before the kids so I have time to exercise in the morning. 

I like exercise and I love how it makes me feel so it is my #1 priority to get done besides appointments and activities. Therefore I make sure I fit it in. For me I have a hard time making eating a priority. If I have to choose between eating and exercise I will choose exercise. Protein bars are my friend for that reason. 

Basically, that old saying is true. "Where there is a will, there is a way."

The book, Hot Sweaty Mama, is great for time management and motivation. I've recommended it many times here before. 

• Like 3

What probably has helped me the most is that my husband goes with me most of the time.  We motivate each other.  When I'm not feeling like going he hounds me.  And then the other way around.  There were many days I don't think either of us would have gone without that.  So that's been huge.

This is us. We do it together and we joined a 24 hour gym so there's no 'it's too cold outside' or 'they're about to close' excuses. Because we're all about finding excuses not to go.   Also, I'm frugal so paying for a gym membership means I'm going to use a gym membership. 

• Like 2

This is us. We do it together and we joined a 24 hour gym so there's no 'it's too cold outside' or 'they're about to close' excuses. Because we're all about finding excuses not to go.   Also, I'm frugal so paying for a gym membership means I'm going to use a gym membership. 

We go to a 24 hour gym too and it's very very close to us.  Occasionally we can't go due to ice storms or something so we have some exercise DVDs. 

• Like 1

We go to a 24 hour gym too and it's very very close to us.  Occasionally we can't go due to ice storms or something so we have some exercise DVDs. 

Our 24 hour gym is under two miles from our house but we do have to drive there and icy weather did keep us from going sometimes. So the next year we joined a gym a block away from our house but they're not open 24 hours and the facility isn't nearly as nice as the other place. We found that even though it was right down the street that we were working out less and with less intensity (due to older, poorly maintained equipment) so now we're back at the 24 hour gym. 

There are so many factors that play into getting workouts done. It's nice to hear what works for other people but ya gotta find what works for you, OP. 

I love cycling on a trail but the weather makes that only available about 6 months a year. So I bought a trainer so I can ride my bike indoors during winter. I HATE the trainer. Dh loves the trainer and hates the trail.  Go figure. 

• Like 1

Yeah it's 2 miles for us too.  There isn't anything closer, but that's pretty close I think. 

Yeah you really do have to find what works for you.  I wish I could learn to love it or find something I love, but that has not happened so best I can do is just keep trying.  When the weather is decent we like to walk.  I really enjoy that, but in spring that's a problem because I have bad allergies.  Summer is very humid.  Winter is icy and very very cold and the days super short.  So for so many reasons walking isn't always so pleasant.  Whenever it's a nice day though we walk instead of going to the gym. 

• Like 1

Although I hate walking with my husband.  He walks too much faster than me. 

Mine walks SO slowly. I'm like, are you trying to walk slowly? Are we walking for time or distance, buddy?  Gah...it drives me nuts.   So I started walking with a friend who is really short and she's the fastest walker I have ever met. I look at her short legs and try to figure out how she walks so fast.  

Which is why I usually ride my bike. Because I must be super picky about my preferred walking speed. 

• Like 1

Mine walks SO slowly. I'm like, are you trying to walk slowly? Are we walking for time or distance, buddy?  Gah...it drives me nuts.   So I started walking with a friend who is really short and she's the fastest walker I have ever met. I look at her short legs and try to figure out how she walks so fast.  

Which is why I usually ride my bike. Because I must be super picky about my preferred walking speed. 

LOL

Well I'm a lot shorter than my husband.  So if I'm walking as fast as I can, and he is walking as fast as he can...we just can't really walk the same speed.  Sometimes he'll walk more slowly, but he doesn't enjoy that (which I understand).  Walking slowly can be quite tiring.

Nowhere safe to ride a bike where I live.  So we'd have to drive to a place to ride a bike.  So that basically doesn't happen. 

• Like 1

I work out at the Y. I sign my ds up for classes, so I'm there while he's there. If he wants to drop classes, tough, because I have to work out. 

That's what solved it for me. Always before, taking care of myself was taking time away from my family. Now, taking care of him IS taking care of me. And I see other families doing the same thing. They all come, use the nursery, take classes, make it work. I've worked out by myself, done classes, really doesn't matter what you like, they'll probably have it going.

• Like 2

I'm following closely because I'm having the same problem.  I did okay for a while but we've had a lot of sickness going around the house the past month and a half.  It's too cold and snowy around here to do much outside, my house is too small to do most things (especially anything I actually enjoy), and having to drive to the Y just adds another barrier.

Add that the housework REALLY can't be put off much more, that I feel "behind" in school lately and the pressure to do other things instead of workout is very strong.  The fact that the things I enjoy can't be done at home, and it's really hard to get motivated.

I'm hoping once I'm finally over my latest bout of bronchitis, the weather will be improving, and I'll be able to get out more.  I have plans for long walks every day if nothing else.

The key thing here is you love it. I don't love it. At all. Not even a little. So it's a real struggle to do it. I love to eat...no struggle there..LOL

This is me. I always hear that I need to find something I love. There is nothing (exercise-wise) that I love. There is nothing that I even like. The best I can do is find something that I can tolerate. But it is easy to fall off the wagon when you are only tolerating something and would really rather be doing just about anything else.

I do find that working out in the morning works best for me. If I don't get up early to exercise, it just won't happen. I don' even try to pretend I will work out later in the day if I don't get up early. It will just be a no exercise day on those days.

Unlike many people, I never feel better when I'm exercising, so I can't get motivated by that either.

The key thing here is you love it.  I don't love it.  At all.  Not even a little.  So it's a real struggle to do it.  I love to eat...no struggle there..LOL

I don't see in her post where she said that she loved it.  It helps to enjoy the physical activities you choose to do, for sure, but it's not a requirement.   

One of the many benefits of physical activity is the body's release of endorphins. These make us feel good. So any physical activity that isn't hurting you, is probably going to make you feel pretty good, along with all the other health benefits and disease preventative effect.

Toto, fwiw, I've dealt with that too. I had pneumonia a year ago and then AGAIN this year and bronchitis within a month of that. Turned out I had asthma, sigh. Also during that time the steam room went down. Just for me, it seems like the steam room at the Y (which I do zealously after I work out) is really helpful for keeping me well. As long as I'm doing that, I'm well. I started at the Y after my first pneumonia, was completely well for a year, and boom got sick when the steam room went down, sigh.

Anyways, for me, working out, as long as I'm sane about it, overall boosts my energy for working on the house. I'm working right now actually. I got a roomba, so I alternate cleaning and a little rest time online, hehe. My ABA worker is working with ds, so that gives me a small chunk of time. Then I'm back on duty, lol.

I REALLY like the roomba btw. I got it through Costco, and having the ability to get the floors swept every single week, just by pushing a button, is HUGE. With that plus cleaning some mold that was in the bath plus washing the dog faithfully, I've been able to get the asthma in check and control it now without meds. I still watch it, and I check my breathing before and after exercising if I'm at all concerned. For me, just that dust from not sweeping was a huge issue. LIke my rooms didn't LOOK dirty, but the Roomba just gets up more.

And, fwiw, I'm finding that I'm less fatigued after exercising now that my asthma is under control. What I thought was normal fatigue from exercising was actually the asthma. :(

But it's true, we give up a lot to go to the Y like that. My dh gets scrappy dinners and I eat late at night. I usually feed ds before we go. We go in 4 nights a week, most weeks, for something (gymnastics or swimming), and I like to go in another night if I only worked out twice. But it has been really good. I've lost over 30 pounds without dieting, have a waist HALF the size it was before, and have more energy to keep up with my uber-active kid. And when my ds asks why we have to go, I tell him because *I* have to have the energy to take him to DISNEY. That shuts him up. :D

• Like 1

I don't see in her post where she said that she loved it.  It helps to enjoy the physical activities you choose to do, for sure, but it's not a requirement.   

One of the many benefits of physical activity is the body's release of endorphins. These make us feel good. So any physical activity that isn't hurting you, is probably going to make you feel pretty good, along with all the other health benefits and disease preventative effect.

She said she likes exercise.  You are right.

But I've known her some years and I do think she loves it.  She has said so before.  ; )

I don't even like exercise.

Exercise doesn't make me feel good and causes me pain.  Where I'm noticing a difference is stuff like I can shovel without dying.   So sure there is that. 

• Like 2

She said she likes exercise.  You are right.

But I've known her some years and I do think she loves it.  She has said so before.  ; )

Exercise doesn't make me feel good and causes me pain.  Where I'm noticing a difference is stuff like I can shovel without dying.   So sure there is that. 

That is actually huge. I guess when it comes down to it, I'm exercising to help prevent dying prematurely. Hopefully my life will be more enjoyable before death partially due to exercise, as well, but there are a ton of factors here I can't control.

• Like 2

That is actually huge. I guess when it comes down to it, I'm exercising to help prevent dying prematurely. Hopefully my life will be more enjoyable before death partially due to exercise, as well, but there are a ton of factors here I can't control.

That's pretty much the only thing that motivates me.  Not so much prevention of earlier death.  Some days that doesn't sound so terrible.  LOL  But no, I don't want to spend years feeling like crap.

I have several family members who have a lot of health problems that could be improved if they wanted to take steps to do so.  They don't want to.  I am motivated by seeing what that has done to them and the quality of their life.

• Like 2

Have you thought about getting PT (physical therapy) or using a personal trainer instead to get a different starting point? I did some PT, and during the eval the girl fessed up I probably have arthritis going, which is why I was having certain pain. My starting point on some things was really low. Like I couldn't sit up AT ALL from a reclined position, and ds was like 7 at the time. She literally had things so gentle I could do them while lying down, on my stomach, lol. From the PT I moved on to the Y and build up super slowly.

Now that I'm taking fancy classes, I'm seeing where the PT was bringing into reach things I wasn't ready for in full. And in this one class, the instructor can do that. LIke she'll tell you 4 levels of the exercise, if you can't do it this way then do this or this or this. But really, my starting point was way lower than that. For me, a PT could step back and be accountable for making the task small enough that I could do it without hurting and actually get some progress. 

• Like 2

That's pretty much the only thing that motivates me. Not so much prevention of earlier death. Some days that doesn't sound so terrible. LOL But no, I don't want to spend years feeling like crap.

I have several family members who have a lot of health problems that could be improved if they wanted to take steps to do so. They don't want to. I am motivated by seeing what that has done to them and the quality of their life.

Agreeing with you once again... The prevention of early death doesn't motivate me at all, but spending years potentially suffering does. I just want to figure out the absolute minimum I need to do to keep relatively healthy (and fit into my jeans). LOL

• Like 3

Have you thought about getting PT (physical therapy) or using a personal trainer instead to get a different starting point? I did some PT, and during the eval the girl fessed up I probably have arthritis going, which is why I was having certain pain. My starting point on some things was really low. Like I couldn't sit up AT ALL from a reclined position, and ds was like 7 at the time. She literally had things so gentle I could do them while lying down, on my stomach, lol. From the PT I moved on to the Y and build up super slowly.

Now that I'm taking fancy classes, I'm seeing where the PT was bringing into reach things I wasn't ready for in full. And in this one class, the instructor can do that. LIke she'll tell you 4 levels of the exercise, if you can't do it this way then do this or this or this. But really, my starting point was way lower than that. For me, a PT could step back and be accountable for making the task small enough that I could do it without hurting and actually get some progress. 

Well, after my second was born I did go to a PT for awhile.  That helped me tremendously.  I went from being barely able to walk to being able to function fairly normally.  Also, my back pain was gone.  I don't think I was ever quite right after having my second kid, but ya know, they won't pay for PT forever.  LOL

I do think things are improving.  I've just not been going too crazy.  Problem is in my mind I'm still the same (young) person.  But my body is not the same.  I think I just pushed it too much.  Pulling back a bit has definitely helped. 

• Like 1

I'm following closely because I'm having the same problem. I did okay for a while but we've had a lot of sickness going around the house the past month and a half. It's too cold and snowy around here to do much outside, my house is too small to do most things (especially anything I actually enjoy), and having to drive to the Y just adds another barrier.

Add that the housework REALLY can't be put off much more, that I feel "behind" in school lately and the pressure to do other things instead of workout is very strong. The fact that the things I enjoy can't be done at home, and it's really hard to get motivated.

I'm hoping once I'm finally over my latest bout of bronchitis, the weather will be improving, and I'll be able to get out more. I have plans for long walks every day if nothing else.

When people in the house are sick and I'm not I try to still put in a workout DVD or do some HIIT with exercises that don't require equipment; pushups, crunches, squats, lunges, dips, burpees, etc. The workout takes 20 minutes and leaves me sweating. The sick person can curl up in my bed while they sleep or watch me workout.

When I'm sick I don't work out. When I have a cough that won't go away I will try to do a low intensity workout like walk. Something that won't get me hacking up a lung. It isn't a great work out but it keeps me in the routine of working out.

Since working out is a priority I feel more guilty when I don't workout than when I don't do housework. And for me housework gets done more often when I've worked out.

Schoolwork does take priority over working out but in the past I've tried to do both at once. I make a game out of math facts where I'll do a push-up for every one you get write. I do this with spelling and phonics too. I've even made it into a writing assignment where they write a story about what mom does that day to get her workout in. Then they read it to me and I do it, within reason. The kids have fun with it and I get my workout in. I don't know how old your kids are so don't know what would work for you. Just saying what works for me.

It took months for me to make working out a priority. Now it simply isn't an option for me not to work out. Well I'm easing back into it now because I had a csection in January. But once I feel normal again it will again be a daily thing. That doesn't happen overnight though.

When I'm sick I don't work out. When I have a cough that won't go away I will try to do a low intensity workout like walk. Something that won't get me hacking up a lung. It isn't a great work out but it keeps me in the routine of working out.

Yeah this is a big one for me.  I force myself (to the extent of what is reasonable) to just get to the gym.  If all I can manage is a slowwww walk on the treadmill, that to me is better than nothing, but most of all it keeps me, as you said, in the routine.

Often I surprise myself.  I drag myself there with the thought....ok I will just walk slowly, but then I end up doing a lot more.  The very act of getting there is probably my biggest difficulty.  Which might sound stupid, but that is absolutely the hardest thing for me.  But once I'm there, it's not like there is anything else to do or anything to distract me from doing it.  Which is why I also do better with going to a gym rather than just work out at home.  Like right now I could be working out right? But no, instead I'm here goofing off. 

• Like 1

Yeah this is a big one for me. I force myself (to the extent of what is reasonable) to just get to the gym. If all I can manage is a slowwww walk on the treadmill, that to me is better than nothing, but most of all it keeps me, as you said, in the routine.

Often I surprise myself. I drag myself there with the thought....ok I will just walk slowly, but then I end up doing a lot more. The very act of getting there is probably my biggest difficulty. Which might sound stupid, but that is absolutely the hardest thing for me. But once I'm there, it's not like there is anything else to do or anything to distract me from doing it. Which is why I also do better with going to a gym rather than just work out at home. Like right now I could be working out right? But no, instead I'm here goofing off.

Struggling to get there doesn't sound stupid at all. When I didn't enjoy exercise I was the same way. That's why having a workout partner is so important for many people.

Even though I love the exercises I do there are days where i have to drag myself toy cardio class. But I always end up giving my all once I'm there.

• Like 2

I really should get another personal trainer.  When she used to come to my house and train me, I got my workout done at 7:00 am and would never cancel on her unless I had a very, very good reason.  It was the most consistent I have ever been with exercise.  Unfortunately she moved and I will need to find someone else who would be willing to come to my house.

• Like 2

I can't say that I always love or even like the exercise itself.  But I sure love the way it feels when it's done!  The best part of the workout is the end.  :D  I feel good afterward:  good psychologically because it gives me a sense of accomplishment, good emotionally because of the endorphins, and good physically because it just makes my body feel more comfortable.  It's hard to explain, but there's this satisfying sense of relaxation in my body after a workout that is unique.  

I'm not claiming that it feels fantastic every day.  Some days are definitely better than others.  But I know my overall quality of life is better with daily exercise than without.  So that helps to keep me going on the crappy days.

That's pretty much the only thing that motivates me.  Not so much prevention of earlier death.  Some days that doesn't sound so terrible.  LOL  But no, I don't want to spend years feeling like crap.

I have several family members who have a lot of health problems that could be improved if they wanted to take steps to do so.  They don't want to.  I am motivated by seeing what that has done to them and the quality of their life.

Same here!  My (admittedly limited and anecdotal and non-professional and oversimplified) observations of people as they age are that you can either choose to suffer through a daily workout, or you can choose to suffer 24/7.  I'll take the workout, thankyouverymuch.

(I do realize there are limits to what exercise can do for you, but it can do a lot.  I also realize that some people are going to suffer regardless, and believe me I'm not heaping judgment on anyone.  I'm just saying this is what motivates me:  pain avoidance!)

• Like 5

Yeah this is a big one for me. I force myself (to the extent of what is reasonable) to just get to the gym. If all I can manage is a slowwww walk on the treadmill, that to me is better than nothing, but most of all it keeps me, as you said, in the routine.

Often I surprise myself. I drag myself there with the thought....ok I will just walk slowly, but then I end up doing a lot more. The very act of getting there is probably my biggest difficulty. Which might sound stupid, but that is absolutely the hardest thing for me. But once I'm there, it's not like there is anything else to do or anything to distract me from doing it. Which is why I also do better with going to a gym rather than just work out at home. Like right now I could be working out right? But no, instead I'm here goofing off.

It helps to have someone to work out with for accountability. I have become quite friendly with my classmates and look forward to seeing them. That helps get me out the door on many mornings. Also, I keep my husband company when he works out in our garage. He says he looks forward to working out because he gets my undivided attention. I spot for him, share exercises that we do in my morning class, keep track of his progress on the calendar, move weights around, time him, talk to him about whatever... Sometimes I work out with him if I've missed a class.

The other thing that I changed that worked for me was giving up the idea that I needed work out at home. I just do not like doing it. I would procrastinate by wasting time online. Add to that the fact that I despise videos. And I noticed that I'd cut myself too much slack and end up with no progress. Moving my exercise outdoors has been the key to becoming more consistent. I didn't realize how much I love being in nature until I started walking and running. The class I take in the morning is outside too. Maybe a change of scenery will help you become more consistent. There is so much you can do outdoors. Our trainer is so creative with her workouts, using the benches, the playground, the jogging trail and the hills to add variety. I know not everyone likes being outside. I'm just saying a change of scenery could help. Places like the roller skating rink or ice skating help break up the monotony of the gym. Rock climbing is another idea

• Like 2

I really should get another personal trainer. When she used to come to my house and train me, I got my workout done at 7:00 am and would never cancel on her unless I had a very, very good reason. It was the most consistent I have ever been with exercise. Unfortunately she moved and I will need to find someone else who would be willing to come to my house.

You should! My neighbor hired a PT and invited me and another friend to join. We split the cost, making it more affordable while also maintaining a small enough group that we could each get individual attention. Before that I was so inconsistent because I was relying on workout videos which I hated. We did it for about five months until summer came along. Then I found my current group that meets near the playground in our subdivision.

Edited by extendedforecast
  • Like 2

It helps to have someone to work out with for accountability. I have become quite friendly with my classmates and look forward to seeing them. That helps get me out the door on many mornings. Also, I keep my husband company when he works out in our garage. He says he looks forward to working out because he gets my undivided attention. I spot for him, share exercises that we do in my morning class, keep track of his progress on the calendar, move weights around, time him, talk to him about whatever... Sometimes I work out with him if I've missed a class.

The other thing that I changed that worked for me was giving up the idea that I needed work out at home. I just do not like doing it. I would procrastinate by wasting time online. Add to that the fact that I despise videos. And I noticed that I'd cut myself too much slack and end up with no progress. Moving my exercise outdoors has been the key to becoming more consistent. I didn't realize how much I love being in nature until I started walking and running. The class I take in the morning is outside too. Maybe a change of scenery will help you become more consistent. There is so much you can do outdoors. Our trainer is so creative with her workouts, using the benches, the playground, the jogging trail and the hills to add variety. I know not everyone likes being outside. I'm just saying a change of scenery could help. Places like the roller skating rink or ice skating help break up the monotony of the gym. Rock climbing is another idea

yeah I don't take classes...the gym I go to doesn't really offer any and I can't follow along anyway (too frustrating and embarrassing for me really) 

It helps that my husband goes, but we really don't workout together exactly.

I really should get another personal trainer.  When she used to come to my house and train me, I got my workout done at 7:00 am and would never cancel on her unless I had a very, very good reason.  It was the most consistent I have ever been with exercise.  Unfortunately she moved and I will need to find someone else who would be willing to come to my house.

I need to hire a personal motivator.  Who owns a mega phone. 

• Like 3

yeah I don't take classes...the gym I go to doesn't really offer any and I can't follow along anyway (too frustrating and embarrassing for me really)

It helps that my husband goes, but we really don't workout together exactly.

I'm sorry you feel embarrassed. I get that way doing Zumba or aerobics. I feel like I have two left feet and can't keep up or look half as good as the rest of the people there.

What do you do at the gym?

I started out not having exercised for over 15 years. I had low muscle tone, poor cardiovascular endurance, and zero motivation. I was overweight and had major brain fog, and I was always exhausted. Always. I started exercising because I was desperate to find something to help me get out from under the fog. I was certain it was my thyroid, but testing came back normal. I decided to try exercise before undergoing other expensive testing.

• Like 1