Menu

NM

Ann.without.an.e

Yes!  I take Quercetin every day and it's amazing the difference.  A guy at taekwondo suggested it to me because every year I start coughing in September and don't quit until March (Texas... our allergy seasons are timed weird).  He told me about it in November and I started taking it and within about a month my cough was gone.  It really helped when cedar season hit (mountain cedar which is really juniper and not cedar at all).  Usually my cough gets worse during cedar season and my eyes burn.  Super itchy and watery.  I usually run my diffuser constantly in January with lemon, peppermint, and lavender in it and it would clear up my eyes amazingly (but not the cough).  This year, even though it was a bad cedar year, I didn't need to do the essential oils at all.  I had no eye or coughing issues thanks to the quercetin.

Edited by Butter
  • Like 2

Homeopathic remedies are just water or sugar pills. I'd stay away from anything labled homeopathic for that reason.

Are you talking about natural remedies...essential oils, herbal supplements, that kind of thing?

I know that they can't all just be water pills because Hylands works better than Zyrtec when my son has a reaction but it is a kid's liquid.  There seems to be a lot of options in brands for adults.  

• Like 1

Homeopathic "medicine" is a complete and utter fraud. It is nothing but expensive sugar pills that have no efficacy whatsoever.

Don't get ripped off by quackery,

Bill

This works amazing for my son.  I guess it is natural then and not homeopathic.  I really don't know the difference.  I guess I should change the title to natural.

https://www.amazon.com/Hylands-Allergy-Tablets-Natural-Children/dp/B00DWJF64G/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1489608927&sr=8-1&keywords=hylands+allergy+kids

• Like 1

I know that they can't all just be water pills because Hylands works better than Zyrtec when my son has a reaction but it is a kid's liquid. There seems to be a lot of options in brands for adults.

The placebo effect is real, and I'm not trying to be patronizing.

If you read up on what the formulations and dilutions of homeopathy actually do, it means that there is so little of the "active ingredient" left in the solution or pill so as to be undectable, even at a molecular level. Homeopaths claim this makes the active ingredient more powerful than if you were to ingest it undiluted. If something is labeled homeopathic, it is sugar water or a sugar pill.

Whether or not it works on a placebo level is an interesting study.

• Like 5

This works amazing for my son. I guess it is natural then and not homeopathic. I really don't know the difference. I guess I should change the title to natural.

https://www.amazon.com/Hylands-Allergy-Tablets-Natural-Children/dp/B00DWJF64G/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1489608927&sr=8-1&keywords=hylands+allergy+kids

No, that is labled homeopathic. The formulations on the ingredients list are "dilutions". There is likely no detectable levels of those ingredients in the product.

I actually really can't believe they are allowed to sell homeopathic stuff in the pharmacy sections of stores. It's so misleading.

• Like 2

The placebo effect is real, and I'm not trying to be patronizing.

I've never been into homeopathy and never tried anything homeopathic-wise except for this but there is no placebo effect with a 2 year old.  When he would have a reaction, his eyes would go fiery red.  Allegra would take it away and this worked just as fast.  We are talking fiery red and watering but then after allergy meds he would have relief within 20 minutes, equal relief regardless of whether it was allegra, hylands, or benadryl.  Again, I have no experience with other homeopathic stuff.

• Like 2

This works amazing for my son.  I guess it is natural then and not homeopathic.  I really don't know the difference.  I guess I should change the title to natural.

No, that is a homeopathic remedy. These sort of products are a fraud on the public. 

You can't take ingredients and then dilute them to the point where no molecules remain and have a scientific basis for efficacy. 

Homeopathic "cures" are either plain water or simple sugar pills, and nothing more. Pseudoscience at its worst.

Bill

• Like 1

No, that is labled homeopathic. The formulations on the ingredients list are "dilutions". There is likely no detectable levels of those ingredients in the product.

I actually really can't believe they are allowed to sell homeopathic stuff in the pharmacy sections of stores. It's so misleading.

Correct. 

Selling these fraudulent products should not be legal.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1

I've never been into homeopathy and never tried anything homeopathic-wise except for this but there is no placebo effect with a 2 year old. When he would have a reaction, his eyes would go fiery red. Allegra would take it away and this worked just as fast. We are talking fiery red and watering but then after allergy meds he would have relief within 20 minutes, equal relief regardless of whether it was allegra, hylands, or benadryl. Again, I have no experience with other homeopathic stuff.

I'm not disputing your experience. I am saying that there is nothing of substance in the Hylands. That is the basis of homeopathy. This is not me with a grudge, this is what even homeopaths will explain about the remedies. They contain "dilutions" of the substances listed in the ingredients list, not the substances themselves. There are varying explanations as to what could have happened with your son, but there's nothing but sugar and water in Hylands stuff.

Edited by EmseB
  • Like 1

I'm not disputing your experience. I am saying that there is nothing of substance in the Hylands. That is the basis of homeopathy. This is not me with a grudge, this is what even homeopaths will explain about the remedies. They contain "dilutions" of the substances listed in the ingredients list, not the substances themselves. There are varying explanations as to what could have happened with your son, but there's nothing but sugar and water in Hylands stuff.

I know it doesn't make sense, but since most allergy meds cause anxiety in him and Hylands has worked for him like magic for 5 years, I guess I'll keep giving him the sugar water  :coolgleamA:   Why it works I don't understand but it does.

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 3

My natural allergy med is to avoid the allergen and stay healthy in general. 

I've avoided taking most allergy meds just by removing carpeting from my home and staying away from the cat and other things I'm allergic to.

When I do have a reaction, I go to Reactin.  I need to know that I'm actually taking something that has enough active ingredients to do the job. And my Epi-pen is nearby.

I wouldn't use homeopathy on my child.  You can be a guinea pig for yourself, if you want. Allergies can kill people, you do realize, don't you? 

Edited by wintermom

I wouldn't use homeopathy on my child.  You can be a guinea pig for yourself, if you want. Allergies can kill people, you do realize, don't you?

Yes, contrary to how I have been made to feel in this thread, I am not stupid.  I was actually just looking for something for me for seasonal allergies, not for a child.  I used my DS as an example that Hylands has worked for him. I don't understand why it has worked and I am not in general on board with homeopathy.  Allegra worked but was causing anxiety issues in him.  He isn't *that* kind of allergic. He has never had a breathing problem or throat issues.  He only has eye issues.  His eyes seem to be the only thing that reacts for him.  It took a long time but we managed to narrow down what he is allergic to and on the rare occasion that he accidentally has a problem, the Hylands works, as well as other allergy meds.  I always keep benadryl as a back up in our family med cabinet because it is a good emergency supply to have.  Thanks for your thoughts.  

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 4

You might look into taking MSM powder as a supplement in a glass of water. A friend lent me a book "The Miracle of MSM", and one of its potential benefits is for seasonal allergies. I figured it's worth a try and bought a pound of the powder on amazon yesterday.

Erica in OR

• Like 1

Attolia, I'm sorry I missed your post before you deleted it and I'm also sorry that a few people have discounted your experiences and interests and tried to make you feel like a complete moron for trying any kind of homeopathic product.

I wish you would re-post your original question and add a JAWM ("just agree with me") so the responses you receive will be kinder and more helpful to you. Many people on this forum will have some great info for you. :)

• Like 3

You might look into taking MSM powder as a supplement in a glass of water. A friend lent me a book "The Miracle of MSM", and one of its potential benefits is for seasonal allergies. I figured it's worth a try and bought a pound of the powder on amazon yesterday.

Erica in OR

I'm not familiar with MSM powder, but I have allergies so I'm wondering if you can post a bit more about it.

Thanks! :)

• Like 1

For my part, I wasn't trying to discount your experience. Originally I was trying to clarify what you were asking for.

Many people do not know that homeopathy doesn't contain the items on the label. I bought Zicam melts for years and thought they were the reason I fought off some colds. And they were expensive!! I was so mad when I found out what they were. The terms homeopathy and natural are conflated all the time. The fact that they are sold with medicines and labled with formulas makes it all the more misleading.

I don't think this should make anyone feel stupid in any way.

• Like 2

For my part, I wasn't trying to discount your experience. Originally I was trying to clarify what you were asking for.

Many people do not know that homeopathy doesn't contain the items on the label. I bought Zicam melts for years and thought they were the reason I fought off some colds. And they were expensive!! I was so mad when I found out what they were. The terms homeopathy and natural are conflated all the time. The fact that they are sold with medicines and labled with formulas makes it all the more misleading.

Some people here have had good results from homeopathic products.

That said, I know you are always very nice to everyone and that you're trying to be helpful and to provide information for Attolia to consider. I think she felt that people were ganging up on her because no one seemed to be taking her personal experiences seriously, but I know you weren't trying to be mean. :)

I don't use many homeopathic products but there are a few that have consistently worked for our family and for other families we know, so that's why I wish Attolia had left her original question in the OP to see if anyone had found anything that might help her. I didn't see her original question so I'm not sure what she needs, but it sounds like it had something to do with her own allergies.

I have allergies, too, and am always open to suggestions for natural and homeopathic remedies. I won't necessarily try them until I do a little research on them, but I try to be open-minded. :)

• Like 2

I wasn't referring to anything you said, no worries. It wasn't  your post specifically that hit me wrong.

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 1

This is my personal anecdote about homeopathic remedies. When I was pregnant with DD someone gave me a box of various homeopathic remedies for pregnant women, one of them being something called "be ready for labour." I didn't believe in it, but didn't disbelief either. I was having a lovely natural pregnancy, and I thought, what the heck, it won't hurt. Interestingly, I interpreted the "ready for labour" as a mental preparation. If anything, I was expecting some meditative feelings of peace.

On the second day of taking it, I started experiencing braxton hicks, and they kept increasing in intensity and frequency for the next week.

Finally it dawned on me that the "ready for labour" homeopathic remedy could be triggering actual physical labour preparation. I stopped immediately and the contractions stopped.

To me this was enough proof that it worked--I got the result which was the opposite of my expectation.

And if that was something like a complicated reversed placebo--wow. Good enough for me.

This said, I haven't taken homeopathic pills in years. I hardly ever take anything but Elderberry syrup for viruses and herbal teas for relaxation.

• Like 1

Attolia, I'm sorry I missed your post before you deleted it and I'm also sorry that a few people have discounted your experiences and interests and tried to make you feel like a complete moron for trying any kind of homeopathic product.

I wish you would re-post your original question and add a JAWM ("just agree with me") so the responses you receive will be kinder and more helpful to you. Many people on this forum will have some great info for you. :)

It is not an act of kindness to pretend that complete quakery that has no basis in science or in reason is effective medicine. It isn't.

Homeopathy if a fraud. A complete and utter fraud.

Bill

• Like 2

It is not an act of kindness to pretend that complete quakery that has no basis in science or in reason is effective medicine. It isn't.

Bill

I appreciate your thoughts on the subject.  I honestly don't have strong opinions about homeopathy, whether for or against it.  I've never looked into it, never researched it, etc.  I just picked up something by chance at a Walgreens.  Calling out the validity of homeopathic meds is not a problem.  You are fine, Bill.  No worries.

• Like 1

Bill

Why don't you tell us what you really think, Bill? Really, don't hold back. :laugh:

As usual, you are presenting your opinion as fact. :rolleyes:

Have a nice day, Bill. :)

Edited for my usual typos.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 4

In defense of what Bill said, what homeopathy is is in fact psuedoscience.

What people experience taking them is obviously a different matter, but homeopathic remedies are water or sugar. By the definition of homeopathy, that is what they are.

Again, I'm not talking about natural remedies, supplements, oils, or herbs. Those are NOT homeopathy.

In order for something to be labled homeopathic it has to lack the active ingredients themselves due to repated dilutions.

• Like 4

Erica in OR

That stuff gave me wicked headaches. My friend loves it though. I think it really depends on what your body needs.

• Like 1

Homeopathy, by definition, was described above. But, those manufacturers are sneaky. Sometimes one ingredient is diluted while something else is a part of the dilute which has some medicinal properties. Therefore, at least for some, there is more than just a placebo effect.

There was an example above where multiple medicines work within twenty minutes. If that is the case, I would be tempted to just try nothing if the child is removed from the allergen. It might be the child's histamine reaction is dissipating in that time frame anyway.

My favorite natural remedy for many outdoor allergens is local honey. This is not homeopathic, however. Are you only looking for homeopathic remedies? The original post is gone, so I am not sure if this will be helpful or not.

• Like 3

Why don't you tell us what you really think, Bill? Really, don't hold back. :laugh:

As usual, you are presenting your opinion as fact. :rolleyes:

Have a nice day, Bill. :)

Edited for my usual typos.

Wrong. Homeopathy is demonstrably inefficacious and the "hypothetical" basis for it is preposterous. These are the facts.

Homeopathy has been shown to be a totally bogus pseudoscience that has never demonstrated that it "works" beyond a placebo in any valid trial.

They are sugar pills with no active ingredients. You are defending snake-oil and quackery here.

Bill

• Like 2

Wrong. Homeopathy is demonstrably inefficacious and the "hypothetical" basis for it is preposterous. These are the facts.

Homeopathy has been shown to be a totally bogus pseudoscience that has never demonstrated that it "works" beyond a placebo in any valid trial.

They are sugar pills with no active ingredients. You are defending snake-oil and quackery here.

Bill

although, placebo effect HAS been proven to be real 

• Like 1

In defense of what Bill said, what homeopathy is is in fact psuedoscience.

What people experience taking them is obviously a different matter, but homeopathic remedies are water or sugar. By the definition of homeopathy, that is what they are.

Again, I'm not talking about natural remedies, supplements, oils, or herbs. Those are NOT homeopathy.

In order for something to be labled homeopathic it has to lack the active ingredients themselves due to repated dilutions.

Correct. And the dilutions are so extreme that in the end no molecules of the so-called original active ingredient are left, just the "vibrational memories" remain in the water or sugar that remains, and these "vibrational memories" are proposed to heal. What rubbish!

If homeopathy were even remotely true, every bit of water on earth would carry the vibrational memories of every substance on the planet. 

The mind boggles.

Bill

• Like 1

And homeopathic pills (being nothing but sugar pills) can serve as placebos. But you'd do better for your pocketbooks to just purchase regular sugar pills as a cure, as there is no difference.

Bill

• Like 1

Not really.

"The bottom line is that placebos don’t cure. Sometimes they can make people feel better, but they can also make people feel worse. And placebo effects (along with other factors that can affect study outcomes) often make clinical trials that aren’t carefully designed come out with falsely positive results. This is one of many reasons why good study design, like having control groups that are set up to be very similar to the test groups, are so important in human studies."

• Like 1

natural honey did nothing for my allergies 

Did you try "local" honey from your area? They sell this at health food stores, farm stands and farmer's market. In California, they sell local honey in all grocery stores. Local honey is supposed to help with allergies because you are eating local pollen with the local honey. This will desensitize your body to pollen in the long run, or so the theory goes. In our case, my DS was sensitive to pollen and we tried to avoid medication for a long time, caved in and gave him prescription medication last year. I also gave him 2 tablespoons of local honey a day. There was no let up at all and he had to take the medicine for long periods past even the recommended time limit with doctor monitoring. But, this year, it is allergy season for him and I am waiting for the allergies to pop up and so far no signs of allergy. I stopped giving local honey 6 months ago. I am not sure what really happened. Could be the local honey or something else.

As for Homeopathy, I don't use it, but, I am curious about why it is so effective for so many people. 

• Like 2

Did you try "local" honey from your area? They sell this at health food stores, farm stands and farmer's market. In California, they sell local honey in all grocery stores. Local honey is supposed to help with allergies because you are eating local pollen with the local honey. This will desensitize your body to pollen in the long run, or so the theory goes. In our case, my DS was sensitive to pollen and we tried to avoid medication for a long time, caved in and gave him prescription medication last year. I also gave him 2 tablespoons of local honey a day. There was no let up at all and he had to take the medicine for long periods past even the recommended time limit with doctor monitoring. But, this year, it is allergy season for him and I am waiting for the allergies to pop up and so far no signs of allergy. I stopped giving local honey 6 months ago. I am not sure what really happened. Could be the local honey or something else.

As for Homeopathy, I don't use it, but, I am curious about why it is so effective for so many people.

Thanks for the info on the local honey. I had heard it recommended for allergies in the past but never knew why it was supposed to help.

I like honey anyway, so it won't be much of a hardship to give it a try! :)

I'm curious about homeopathy, too, but every time someone posts a question about it, the threads always go the same old, predictable way. :glare: It gets tiring.

• Like 1

yes of course 

• Like 1

To add, my 90 year old grandmother has been eating local raw honey with the same hope. It hasn't worked in 90 years.

Does not work.

In fact I haven't met anyone who said it actually worked. They only recommend it.

Stop it.

I'm not listening to you.

I want an excuse to eat lots and lots of honey.

For medicinal purposes only, of course. :)

• Like 4

To add, my 90 year old grandmother has been eating local raw honey with the same hope.  It hasn't worked in 90 years.

Does not work.

In fact I haven't met anyone who said it actually worked.  They only recommend it.

I hear if you eat raw honey regularly you can live into your 90s :D

Bill

• Like 5

Homeopathy, by definition, was described above. But, those manufacturers are sneaky. Sometimes one ingredient is diluted while something else is a part of the dilute which has some medicinal properties. Therefore, at least for some, there is more than just a placebo effect.

There was an example above where multiple medicines work within twenty minutes. If that is the case, I would be tempted to just try nothing if the child is removed from the allergen. It might be the child's histamine reaction is dissipating in that time frame anyway.

My favorite natural remedy for many outdoor allergens is local honey. This is not homeopathic, however. Are you only looking for homeopathic remedies? The original post is gone, so I am not sure if this will be helpful or not.

This reminds me of the cases where herbal remedies have been found to be laced with pharmaceuticals that were not on the label.

• Like 2

This reminds me of the cases where herbal remedies have been found to be laced with pharmaceuticals that were not on the label.

I have heard about that, as well.

I know that my dh has to be extremely careful about any kind of herbal supplements and remedies and has to speak with his transplant doctor before he tries anything new. He can't even use elderberry syrup because it can interfere with his regular medications.

Our solution is that he doesn't use herbal or homeopathic products at all unless the doctor specifically recommends something. Better safe than sorry.

• Like 3

Re: honey, Do you just eat it off a spoon or put it in a glass of water or something else? I'd consider trying it for my allergies...and that fountain of youth perk.

It takes a long time to work (in our case, many months). I gave my son a tablespoon full of honey twice a day. Sometimes, I drizzled it on his toast for breakfast or mixed it in with his berry tea if he was drinking it on that day.

• Like 2