Menu

ear piercing question

mamashark

My daughter is turning 9 in a couple weeks and we promised she could get her ears pierced for her birthday. I contacted a local place that does professional piercings and tattoos and they said they could only do a 16 gauge hoop, but would be willing to do that if I wanted and said I could go back down to a smaller earring after they heal. Is that crazy big for a kid? I have no visual in my head of what that size difference is.

The smaller the number, the bigger. You can easily google it. Normal size or traditional size is generally 20 gauge.

Unless your dd is into that kind of fashion already, I would try to go to a regular jeweler or jewelry store. We used a kiosk at a nearby mall twice and were very happy with the results.

• Like 1

If you go to the mall, you will find jewelry she is most thinking of and she will probably get a whole little kit to feel very adult. My don go to put on a wizard hat, they took pictures, there was the picking out of the jewelry. It was a whole thing. When you go to a professional piercest, they are used to adults. It is short, sweet, to the point and a million times more expensive.

I would not go to Claire's. It's impossible to sanitize those guns properly, and they do more damage to the flesh, meaning more pain, a greater risk of infection, and longer healing. You're better off using a piercing shop as you originally planned - they use needles.

• Like 8

I would not go to Claire's. It's impossible to sanitize those guns properly, and they do more damage to the flesh, meaning more pain, a greater risk of infection, and longer healing. You're better off using a piercing shop as you originally planned - they use needles.

This. My 8 yo just got hers done last weekend and I took her to a tattoo/piercing place. They were fantastic with her, super clean, etc. They used single-use needles on each ear, talked her through the whole thing, and they were very patient with her. In fact I was so pleased I left a very generous tip.

I'd look around for another place. No way would I go for bigger holes in the hopes that they'd shrink down.

Edited by Forget-me-not
  • Like 7

Well I did find one that does kids with no mention of gauge of earring being an issue. I'll probably end up using them so long as I can talk my husband into the extra expense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What did they quote you? My local place charged us $40 for the piercing and $5 for the little stainless steel earrings they put in. Looking online at Claire's it looks like I would have paid about that there.

Something else: the girl that did my daughter's ears said they don't like the locking/screw on type backs because they harbor bacteria. My daughter is a week out tomorrow and her ears are healing beautifully. They had us pick up a bottle of saline wound wash (sold by the bandaids and rubbing alcohol type stuff). I bought a $4 spray bottle that we probably won't use up.

Edited by Forget-me-not
  • Like 4

What did they quote you? My local place charged us $40 for the piercing and $5 for the little stainless steel earrings they put in. Looking online at Claire's it looks like I would have paid about that there.

Something else: the girl that did my daughter's ears said they don't like the locking/screw on type backs because they harbor bacteria. My daughter is a week out tomorrow and her ears are healing beautifully.

I was quoted $20 per ear plus the price of jewelry, which they said starts at $20, so minimum of $60 total.

What kind of back did the earrings your daughter get have?

I was quoted $20 per ear plus the price of jewelry, which they said starts at $20, so minimum of $60 total.

What kind of back did the earrings your daughter get have?

Just the standard backs. We haven't had any trouble, but the girl said if we did, she could manually tighten the backs.

• Like 1

My dd had 16 gauge done at a piercing place about 5 years ago.  The holes are not noticeably larger than standard holes.  She wears all sorts of earrings, mostly "regular" earrings (like you'd get a Target), but sometimes heavier wires.  

The advantage of wearing larger gauge earrings over time is that the hole won't stretch or migrate down the ear due to heavy earring pulling on the wire.  Also, having a slightly larger, round hole makes it easier to get earrings in.  Once it's healed, the hole won't close up.  She'll always have the option of wearing larger gauge earrings, but smaller ones will look totally fine in a 20 gauge hole.  

• Like 2

A 16 gauge is just fine. I much prefer a larger hole actually, they're easier to keep clean and more comfortable for earrings than my smaller holes. I wear 16 gauge gold hoops permanently and nobody has ever commented on them being big. For a child her age it's not like the hole grows with her, you know? It should remain comfortable and fairly small her entire life unless she intentionally weights or stretches them.

Well I think I'm losing the battle anyway, since we went in and talked to claires and can get them done there for $25 instead of $60 with a titanium earring to avoid potential allergies.

We are in between jobs at the moment, praying for a fulltime offer to come in soon, so saving money is a huge thing. While I know it's not as good, if it were truly bad they wouldn't be able to continue doing piercings over so many years so it might have to do for now.

My daughter Clare just had hers done yesterday at Claire's by a gal named Claira.  :)

I asked how many ears she'd pierced.  "Hundreds?"  [Pause.]  "Dozens?" [Pause.]  She replied, "Probably thousands."  It was $35 and everything looked very sterile to me.  It was a one-time use needle/gun and she wore one-time use gloves. She kept cleaning things as we went. When the gun "fired," my daughter didn't even flinch. We're only one day out, but all seems to be going well so far. 

[That said, my older daughter had her ears pierced at Claire's when she was 10 and they never healed. This has more to do with my daughter than with Claire's. She finally let them close after a year of trying to go without earrings for a few days to see if they would stay open. They wouldn't.   To this day -- and she's 19 now -- she had bumps where the holes were and they will fester up and get oozy again once in awhile.  So weird.]

Edited by milovany
  • Like 1

When I was that age I pierced a neighbor girl's ear (one because I quit after the first) that she'd first numbed with an ice cube and then went in with a sewing needle and a backing of potato.

The sound of cartilage crackling and the amount of pressure it took to drive the needle through her ear eventually nauseated me, and I've hated pierced ears ever since.

So there is always the Do-It-Yourself option :D

Bill

• Like 1

When I was that age I pierced a neighbor girl's ear (one because I quit after the first) that she'd first numbed with an ice cube and then went in with a sewing needle and a backing of potato.

The sound of cartilage crackling and the amount of pressure it took to drive the needle through her ear eventually nauseated me, and I've hated pierced ears ever since.

Bill

Spy car, you have the best stories! Write a book please.

• Like 3

When I was that age I pierced a neighbor girl's ear (one because I quit after the first) that she'd first numbed with an ice cube and then I went in with a sewing needle and a backing of potato.

The sound of cartilage crackling and the amount of pressure it took to drive the needle through her ear eventually nauseated me, and I've hated pierced ears ever since.

Bill

Wonder if she was as traumatized as you?

I've never actually heard of someone doing a cartilage piercing at home, just lobe piercings.

I don't have my own ears pierced. Dd13 got hers done a couple of years ago at a piercing/tattoo place but it really wasn't a good experience--the holes weren't even, one lobe turned purple from internal bleeding, and she decided after six weeks to let them close back up. No infection though.

Edited by maize

[That said, my older daughter had her ears pierced at Claire's when she was 10 and they never healed. This has more to do with my daughter than with Claire's. She finally let them close after a year of trying to go without earrings for a few days to see if they would stay open. They wouldn't.   To this day -- and she's 19 now -- she had bumps where the holes were and they will fester up and get oozy again once in awhile.  So weird. 

Same happened to me! I got my ears done at Claire's when I was around 12, they would ooze and get gunky until I was 20, let them close, then let my MIL re-open them or pierce them with a needle.

A couple of years later, I got my nose pierced at a piercing place for $$ (they let me use my own jewelry) and I've never had problems with my nose.

So I recommend the professional piercing place that uses a needle. Even if you have to wait for the $$. 

Bill

That's how my ears were pierced, back in the dark ages (1970s).  My friend's dad did it; he pierced everyone's ears.  He did a terrific job getting the holes exactly even.  The sound was awful, but I didn't feel a thing because of the ice.  I do remember worrying that the potato wouldn't be enough to stop the needle, but it was. 

We have had two children get their ears pierced at a tattoo/piercer. In our family, we go to professionals when things get pierced. One child has very sensitive skin and had a little issue once the hoops they used were taken out, but that was due to poor quality metal or an allergic reaction. We went back to the piercer, they put hoops back in and the issue resolved.

Piercing guns can damage the ear tissue, since you are essentially forcing a sharp object through with blunt force. I had my ears pierced twice at a Clarie's type place at the mall. My ears were damaged and formed scar tissue that was surgically removed after the first attempt. Got them done again, same issue, so I don't wear earrings. I do not think I would have had that issue if I had gone to the piercer.

The piercers were great. Patient, took their time measuring and lining the piercings up. It was a very professional, hygienic and positive experience. 

• Like 1

That's how my ears were pierced, back in the dark ages (1970s).  My friend's dad did it; he pierced everyone's ears.  He did a terrific job getting the holes exactly even.  The sound was awful, but I didn't feel a thing because of the ice.  I do remember worrying that the potato wouldn't be enough to stop the needle, but it was. 

Hardy the "dark ages," as 1970 was the "golden age" of DIY ear piercing. Potatoes, ice, needles, why overcomplicate things?

I don't understand why everyone doesn't do it this way. Other than the dreadful sound. The horrid, horrid sound. 

The key think is louder stereos (playing music circa early 1970, naturally). Perhaps the Machine Head album by Deep Purple (which I think was playing when I punctured my neighbor girl).

There wasn't even that much blood. 

After homeschooling, home piercings should be child's play. In fact, insist the kiddos do it. Lifetime memories, guaranteed :D

Bill

We have had two children get their ears pierced at a tattoo/piercer. In our family, we go to professionals when things get pierced. One child has very sensitive skin and had a little issue once the hoops they used were taken out, but that was due to poor quality metal or an allergic reaction. We went back to the piercer, they put hoops back in and the issue resolved.

Piercing guns can damage the ear tissue, since you are essentially forcing a sharp object through with blunt force. I had my ears pierced twice at a Clarie's type place at the mall. My ears were damaged and formed scar tissue that was surgically removed after the first attempt. Got them done again, same issue, so I don't wear earrings. I do not think I would have had that issue if I had gone to the piercer.

The piercers were great. Patient, took their time measuring and lining the piercings up. It was a very professional, hygienic and positive experience.

That's why I get mine done with a pro piercer too. Just safer and less damaging, as well as less painful. I did have my first two sets done with a gun and didn't have complications, but having gone both ways I prefer the latter. I get the OP's money issue on it, but I guess I class body modification as something where you get what you pay for to some extent :)

No one in our family (including extended) has ever had ear piercings done in any place other than a mall kiosk (or jewelry store--same technique), Claire's, or Sweet and Sassy. All piercings have been fine with the exception of DD11's--she refused to let me touch them or clean them afterward and insisted on turning them herself. I was amazed at how little trouble she was having with them until she came to me and told me one of her earrings wouldn't move. Turned out she was only turning the backing and the earring was frozen in place. Once we degunked it, it was fine, but she took the earrings out and let the holes close and refuses to ever consider earrings again. That story pretty much sums up what life with her is like :lol: 

Anyway, we've always been fine with the mall store piercings. Just make sure you stay on top of healing and maintenance!